1st time in WDW solo - need reassurance

I am the complete opposite. I am used to being alone and occasionally travel for work this way as well. I come from a very small family, relatives live all over and I never see them, all of my friends are now married/divorced with children (and either can't afford to go to Disney, don't want to shell out the money to go there or simply they'll ask if I want to tag along but I don't enjoy being the 3rd or 5th wheel in a group). In my 20's it was easy enough to go to Disney with mom, friends, ex, etc. I finally did my first solo trip there last November at the age of 33. I loved it more than any other vacation I think I've had to date. It was wonderful. In the past 5 years I've gone with my mom. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, but frankly I was tired of the small comments that begin after being in the park 4 hours (you know, I'm getting tired, my toe hurts) and mom wouldn't go back to the room by herself (keep in mind this woman is now 57 and in good shape). Maybe I'm selfish but I loved not having that guilty nagging feeling of having to give up some of my enjoyment so that mom could go back to the room and wouldn't be alone.

When I went on my solo trip, I always had a journal with me, small book and basically no matter where I was I made small talk with someone close to me on a few minute basis. I never felt alone or sorry for myself (in fact I was there 10 days solo). I did many of the things the above posters already mentioned.

Always put the best possible spin on it. It's YOUR time for yourself. Sleep in late, order room service (if your in a hotel that has room service) and do what you want when you want to do it. If you get that feeling that your alone, dispel it immediately - stop feeling sorry for yourself. You work hard for your vacation time so enjoy it. There are plenty of people who can't go to Disney (trust me I know a few) so enjoy the environment and don't worry, you'll be returning to your normal way of life a few days later - you'll make it through. Okay off my soap box now. I wish you the best for a wonderful solo vacation. I am going back to Disney a few weeks after your visit, mom is heading along as well, if anyone sees a 34 yrs old rolling her eyes at her mother, it's me. This time when she needs a break she's going back to the room by herself (she has already been notified several times that she'll be on the bus alone - none of those little comments needed).

I did my first solo trip last month... :D

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Although I have lots of friends down there because of my hobby. I did spend 3 days by myself.

I brought tons books with me to read(since i've been down there so many times, it didn't bother me to read while waiting for buses, boats, etc. Which could take as long as 40mins... trust me it happened on me... :) ).
And I also had sit down meals.

Boma is one of my favorite breakfast, so I went there solo for the first time. it was fun.
I brought my book, ate myself silly and the CM was sweet.

I also went back to the hotel room everyday so I could stay up later every night... hehe...

My most favorite thing about going solo is definitely being able to go everywhere when I want to. Go as fast as I want, or as slow as I want. I don't have to feel bad if I'm tired or if I want to eat again 2 hours after I had a huge meal... ROTFLOL!!! :p

Anyways, don't feel bad if you have to go solo.
You never know, it might grow on you before it's over....

I guess I have given the wrong impression about myself and my feelings about going solo. My regular life is very much solo, so going on vacation is a time to catch up with friends and NOT be alone. I live alone, work 6 days a week in customer service, etc. So, I don't MIND compromise & being considerate of others' needs & wishes & quirks -- it's what I do without thinking, not an imposition at all. And in personal matters it's a nice change of pace.

I appreciate what everyone is saying and I read it all with relish and try to internalize it. But, honestly, self-indulgence holds no interest for me. I guess I'm very unusual in that respect. People always tell me to get a manicure & treat myself & I can never sit still long enough -- what a waste of time! Same thing w/ getting up late at WDW -- egad! with so much to DO! lol. Nah, not my style. I like the book suggestions people have made -- that's sort of a compromise between a Disney vacation & riding the subway to work in the morning.

I guess I WAS feeling a little sorry for myself -- in my next life I am going to have lots of close, rich friends with nothing to do & lots of money so they can drop everything & go to WDW w/ me w/o thinking.

I AM going to WDW alone & I WILL have a good time. I just am feeling as if it's going to be hard work.

Please don't stop writing, guys. I love this thread.

Cheers,
Lisa

Is it that you can't stand being alone, or is it that you're embarrased to be alone? Everyone keeps sending reassurance that nobody has to know you're alone.

Do you really think they're sitting there saying, "Look at that woman. She's by herself. I wonder if her family is nearby, in the park. Or, are they at another park? Or, maybe she's here by herself. I wonder why. Could it be business? Or, is she just traveling alone because she likes it. Or maybe she's a big loser? THAT'S probably it! She is such a loser that nobody in her family wants to go with her. And she has no friends. Poor thing."

NO! They're thinking, "OK, now we did Tower of Terror. We have to get to the Great Movie Ride...where's the map? Now Jenna has to go to the bathroom...Where's the bathroom?" They don't have time to think about you, much less any inclination. They're on vacation! Living their own lives! Being alone might be a BIG deal to you...but it is NOTHING to them!

I used to travel for a living, and Orlando was one of the places I was sent. My first trip to WDW was solo. Eating out is no big deal if you bring something to do, or read. And eating out at WDW is far more entertaining than, like, a Bob Evans. The only time I felt funny was waiting in line at Small World. The kids in front of and behind me were toddlers. Kinda felt like a dork, but would have felt that way with another dork! And loved that ride!

I HIGHLY agree that visiting WDW alone would be great, because you can do whatever you want whenever you want! You can't always run the show, so take advantage!

WDW Marisa. I totally agree with you. Most(if not all) are thinking about what is happening in their lives.

But it takes a few nervous steps before you become comfortable with traveling with yourself. The 1st time I decided to go to wdw solo(15yrs ago), I had asked friends how should I do this. They told me since I was always early waiting for the parks to open, to start talking to other ppl while waiting. Then see if they want to do a few rides with me. Well,,,,,,,,, 1st time, I picked a couple who were in love. Big mistake............. they told me most rides were for only 2,...........so no luck there. I was disappointed. Next time, I started talking to a man and his 2 sons.........come to find out the wife was at a convention, and they welcomed me with open arms. I had a great time.

The hardest part of doing something new is the 1st part.

Have fun

Susan

I am taking the jump and going solo for the 1st time. What stresses me the most is not walking through the shops,raoming around or sitting on a bench people watching, but going on some attractions solo and most of all eating. Although I will be fine in places like Columbia Harbour House (a must do for me!) At some point I'd probably like one sit down meal. Since I am not staying at a resort with room service that's not an option. Hopefully, because I will be there during mousefest, I'll run into other solos who might want to do some attractions together, hang out a bit, etc...

I've connected with a couple of DISers to meet up with at some point ...soooo here I come mousefest solo!

While the hints and suggestions have been helpful, I don't think I'm truly a solo at heart when it comes to Disney. Europe, pilgrimages, fine, but the enchantment of Disney I like to share!

Christine
:sunny: :wave2:

I have to stop reading now, because I'm concerned that I'll end up afraid to travel alone!

I started traveling alone, for business. They had cars or limos waiting for me when I landed, and I stayed in really nice hotels, with the company picking up the tab for everything, even movies. When I did get time to go touristing, I was just happy to see new stuff and not be working!

It never occured to me that I SHOULD be uncomfortable, and if I find out why some folks DO, I'm afraid I'll be uncomfortable, too!

Good Luck everyone!

I may go to WDW in early Jan -- if anyone wants to meet for lunch or dinner or something, let me know, and I'll be happy to get you through a meal! :earsboy:

Not really averse to travelling alone -- have done it successfully for business. Just am not looking forward to the inevitable if intermittent (sp??) loneliness & awkwardness. I have met some terrificly interesting people at WDW just waiting for a parade or an attraction & hope to do so again. WDW is unique to me, though. It is designed around families & other social groups & that is the only way I have ever been there.

BaciBecky, I have to say that while I don't enjoy sit-down meals alone, I don't really mind eating alone -- most of my meals are alone in "real" life. You might try the Sci-Fi Diner because of the movie trailers & boisterous atmosphere. The pressure would really be off you there.

a moot point for me. Had to cancel my mousefest plans this morning - for a great reason though - job offer!

Right now my next visit with with a friend for dec 2005 at the GF - a wonderful vacation, but sooo far away!

I'll never make through more than a yr without a Disney Fix! Yet I cnanot imagine going alone without mousefest going on...I am going to trust that some friend will want a winter getaway from the cold and I'll get down for a few days in Feb..YES!!

Now I cannot decide if I should go ahead and make the GF reservation myself, use a great TA who will continue to check for discount codes or wait and make the ressie this summer..decisions, decisions!!

Although I really enjoy the planning myself, I also like to give a TA the commission since airlines no longer offer commission.

Anyone have a great experience with one of the TA sites listed on the boards?

Ohmeohmy!!!
:sunny:

BaciBecky: Glad to hear about the new job!:teeth:
~Sorry to hear you won't be joining us at Mousefest~:hug:

I almost always travel to WDW alone.

When looking for a place to eat where you won't feel too lonely sitting at a table, try the California Grill or Jiko or one of the other places that has a "counter" where you can sit and watch the chefs work (I think Citricos and Flying Fish do this, also). Then, you can observe the way they put the food together, or they will chat with you if they have the time.

I've never been bothered by entering any attractions alone, except for the Primeval Whirl where they seem to expect you to ride with people you don't know and get squished up against them on the curves. Although, once they did put me in a car with two good-looking young men who decided that if we all leaned in the same direction we could get the car to spin more. (It does work).

I'm also notorious for sitting around the Adventurers Club alone.

Congratulations on that new job. If you have to put off a vacation to WDW at least it's a terrific reason. Yea for you!

I love my family to death (married with two kids) but I adore alone times. I like going to meals alone and going to movies alone. Doesn't happen very often but I really enjoy it. I would never do it, but I would LOVE a WDW solo trip if I could get over the guilt of leaving everyone else behind. I'd indulge in great meals, take a lot of tours, slow down and look at park minutiae, and try to see all the lesser attractions that always get skipped. I think I would occasionally miss everyone else, but I'd get over it. :D I tried on our last trip to schedule an afternoon on my own (well, just me and the baby, which is almost solo) but somehow it never worked, for some reason my husband and daughter hated the idea of doing different stuff even for an afternoon.

But it would never happen. Two years ago I took just my dd (then 5) on a mother-daughter trip, and it would have been amazing except for the guilt of leaving dh behind. When we planned the trip (on the fly, 3 weeks before we left) he was all for it, said he had too much work to do but of course we could go, yadda yadda, but about two days before he started seeming bummed about it and then he was depressed he wasn't going. So can't ever leave anyone behind again. But I'm jealous of all you solo travelers.

In December I will have my 6th solo trip. With each solo trip I talk to more and more people. Sometimes I even force myself to speak up. While I am standing in line, and it does feel a bit awkward, I silently think about something about the people next to me. Are they wearing a great Disney Hat that I love?
Are their kids extra cute? Are they holding a great souvenir?
If I find anything, and I am honestly sincere, I will bring up something like that, and then ask them a question, just to start up a conversation. It works great !

After 5 solo vacations, 6 nights each, I have found that the very worst people to start up a conversation with is young people
who seem to be in love with each other. They downright snub ya because they are so into themselves, that I was sort of intruding on their personal space.

The very best people who I have spoken to are retired people who obviously are young at heart. Families are great to talk to, also.

I am married, but I don't have any children. I am 51, now.
My DH just prefers to stay at home with our two cats. My vacation to WDW is terribly important to my well being, so I have learned to go alone, and I have learned to LOVE it !

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I took my first solo trip to WDW last month. It was my third trip to the World. The first two trips I went with my cousin and her 8 year old daughter. I absolutely LOVED my solo trip. It took me about a day or so to get adjusted to the solo part, but then I was loving it! I live alone, but had never travelled alone. I found lots of people to talk to and never felt out of place. I was so busy doing all the things I wanted to do I never really felt lonely. The week went by all too fast. I had 2 sit down meals with a friend from work and her husband that were visiting the same week. That really helped. The Sci-Fi was great for a solo meal! I was the hitchhiker in the back seat! I felt like the whole trip was a luxury--to do as I wished when I wished. I would not like to go to WDW solo every time. BUT I will be going back at some point by myself. I had a blast!!!!!!!!

Darn, Lisa...I am going to miss you by one day!! Not going solo, but with 2 other girlfriends. We leave from WDW on 11/1. Otherwise, I would suggest we meet up!

I was there for a couple of days by myself before I met up with some friends on my last trip back in May. It was fine. I bought Pal Mickey, so he could talk to me when he had something to say. ;)

My "worst" moment was when I made the Hot Seat on WWTBAM, and the hostess asked who I was with...and I said, "ummm....errr.... Pal Mickey?"

have fun!!! You'll be fine!!

Originally posted by lc1965
Congratulations on that new job. If you have to put off a vacation to WDW at least it's a terrific reason. Yea for you!

The first job fell through, the second job did not come to be because I finally found something I'll enjoy - although part time - it is an afterschool program teacher. And right away I mentioned I'd be away for a few days in December and no problem! Started last Tuesday and though the munchkins are wild and crazy afterschool, I love being with them :)

Soo, it's off to Mousefast I go!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :wave2:

ironz, i'm sorry to be missing you! i truly would have liked to meet you. everyone on the board has been so cool that i thought you'd like to hear what's happening w/ my big terror-inducing solo trip to wdw....

my ex was supposed to go w/ me, but he didn't have money for little things like the rent, so he figured mickey would have to wait. i was extremely disappointed not only because i hated the idea of going alone, but because i sooooo much wanted to share my favorite place on the planet w/ him. he's only been to wdw once -- 5 hrs at the mk w/ an ex who is going to be at wdw on her honeymoon the week before we would have been there! :rolleyes1 (we both thought that was sort of funny.)

anyway, when a girlfriend heard how disappointed i was, she invited herself along, thinking she was doing me a huge favor. i adore her, but we've never been together for more than 5 hrs, so i don't know how we're going to manage 5 DAYS together. lol

so, i went from "oh dear! i have to go to wdw alone & i'm so concerned about how i'll manage!" to "oh dear! i have to go to wdw w/ someone i'm not sure i can get along w/ & i'm so concerned about how i'll manage!"

yes, whatever you're thinking about me now is probably true! ;)

That's kindof funny that your friend is going...'cause one of the girls I'm going with...well...I might want to trade her in or leave her in the wench auction in POTC or something... lol.... We haven't exactly been getting along super well the past couple of weeks. Oh, well... A bad day at Disney is better than any day at home!

Hi BaciBecky. We will be at the park at the same time this coming December. I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you received it.
Anyway if you would like to catch up I would be happy to share a ride, attractions, and some meals with you even if just for a day. I can't wait to go to WDW and just speaking to you with your American accent will keep me enthralled.
I have no qualms about going to WDW on my own but I do have reservations about flying for 15 hours just to get to the states.
If I can survive that I can achieve anything. The Dismeeter's (is there such a word?) will take good care of us and what a great bunch they sound.
Ultimately we are only alone if we let ourselves be.
Have a great day!

These bouncy things are so darn cute!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter