2 year old in park...mask issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Friedman

Mouseketeer
We are heading to Disney in early September with our just over 2 year old son. He’s learning how to wear a mask and is doing ok but what if he has a tantrum or refuses to wear one the entire day in Disney. Would they ask us to leave? We’d make sure he was more than 6ft away from anyone if he takes his mask off. Thoughts?
Big issue is we have a non refundable DVC rental so we kind of have to go or be out several thousand dollars.

If your child refuses to wear a mask, just head back to your resort and swim.

I would hope they would ask anyone to leave that is required to wear a mask, but is refusing to do so. Sadly, that includes children. Otherwise we would have children of all ages walking around Disney without a mask.

I hope I don't sound like I lack compassion. I just don't think a child that refuses to wear a mask should be allowed in the parks.

We are heading to Disney in early September with our just over 2 year old son. He’s learning how to wear a mask and is doing ok but what if he has a tantrum or refuses to wear one the entire day in Disney. Would they ask us to leave? We’d make sure he was more than 6ft away from anyone if he takes his mask off. Thoughts?
Big issue is we have a non refundable DVC rental so we kind of have to go or be out several thousand dollars.
How would they know/check whether your child is 2 and not 1 (the cutoff for the mask requirement)?

We’re here now and i have a daughter who is almost 3. We had to work for months to get her to consistently wear a mask, but she doesn’t have any issues with it anymore. The key (for her) was to get a mask that fits well and ties rather than one with loops behind the ears. We also told her she has to wear it to go to Disney and she is happy to do so. Now, saying all that, there are toddlers in the 2-3 range that don’t have one on, especially while sitting in strollers.

We will be up there this weekend and are staying at the Poly and I may take our almost 2 year old in. I'll bring her masks because just like you we've been practicing too. We go back in September for her 2nd birthday so this will be a good gauge as to whether she can handle this or not. I will say there are days when she absolutely wants her mask on and asks for it and other days when she refuses. It's a toddler thing. I'm curious if anyone will say anything to us when they see her without a mask on in the park.

We will be up there this weekend and are staying at the Poly and I may take our almost 2 year old in. I'll bring her masks because just like you we've been practicing too. We go back in September for her 2nd birthday so this will be a good gauge as to whether she can handle this or not. I will say there are days when she absolutely wants her mask on and asks for it and other days when she refuses. It's a toddler thing. I'm curious if anyone will say anything to us when they see her without a mask on in the park.
If she is almost 2 I’m pretty sure she isn’t required to wear one.

If she is almost 2 I’m pretty sure she isn’t required to wear one.

I know she isn't required to wear one. The OP was worried about whether they'd even question a 2 year old. My daughter isn't going to look much different in a matter of a month between this visit and her next visit when she is definitely 2.

So rolling around in the stroller you may get away with it. The problem you are going to have is rides. They aren’t going to let your child in line or on rides without a mask. Stores may also be a problem, and walking through a restaurant. And transportation.

Just prepare yourself that if he/she refuses to wear a mask you will need to call it a day and go back to the resort.

My question is are cast members turning kids away in the 2-3 age range when not wearing masks. Is it enforced? He’d be in a stroller most of the time

My question is are cast members turning kids away in the 2-3 age range when not wearing masks. Is it enforced? He’d be in a stroller most of the time

How can they possibly enforce this? Parents will not be expected to carry a birth certificate proving age (similar to entering the park with a child under 3 for free).

How can they possibly enforce this? Parents will not be expected to carry a birth certificate proving age (similar to entering the park with a child under 3 for free).
That’s what I’m thinking. We don’t carry ID for him obviously. At the same time I don’t want to lie. Just curious what people who’ve been there have seen as far as enforcement for kids under 3

My children are older now, but I could never see them keeping a mask on for hours and hours. Even at 4 years old, I can't picture it.

I wish you luck. And every DVC has a GREAT pool! So, maybe gear this more as a resort vacation.
Yeah we have an AKL Savannah View room. I guess around the hotel they may be less strict than the parks for kids under 3?

The thing that bugs me is that child development is a continuum, and just a few months of age difference can make a lot of difference. A child shouldn't be expected to go from "masks are dangerous for children under 2" to being expected to wear one at all times the day they turn 2. Plenty of kids who might not have hit a milestone yet will achieve that milestone just a few months later. I have a 1 yr old (who will be 2 by the end of the year) and a 4 year old, and we may have to change our Disney plans due to mask rules.

It sounds like AKL Savannah View will be incredible, and there may be opportunities outside the parks, from Disney Springs, to modified character breakfasts, to the Skyliner and monorail, and just resort fun, if a full day in a mask might be a bit too much. I heard they are pretty strict on mask enforcement in the theme parks, at least for teens and adults.

there may be opportunities outside the parks, from Disney Springs, to modified character breakfasts, to the Skyliner and monorail, and just resort fun
Just to note that masks are required for all of those as well, not just at the parks.

OP - they aren't going to make an exception to the rules, but whether they might ask his age to enforce those rules is anyone's guess. I suggest you continue to work with the child between now and the trip. Then do the best you can. If the mask is absolutely not working, head back to the resort pool where one isn't required. I wouldn't plan full days in the parks; go into it with loose expectations with regards to what you'll get accomplished in the parks and you can have a good time. I thought your plan was to skip parks this trip anyway.

I've seen images on the internet of hats with built-in plastic face shields. It might be easier to keep such a hat on a small child.

Alternate thought: Consider bringing several types of masks. Instead of fussing about wearing a mask, give him a choice, "Which mask would you like to wear?" Giving him some control over the situation might be the boost you need.

I agree with those who say this is a hard-to-enforce rule for Disney, but wearing those masks is unquestionably the right thing to do.

Have friends there now. She has twin 3 year olds. She says that she's noticed CM reminding kids to wear their masks when they appear to be about 5 but anything younger than that, nothing.

She says some kids in their strollers aren't wearing masks but most appear to be under 4.

I get it. I want everybody to wear masks too but under 5 not wearing them seems way more enforceable and more common sense. Of course, Disney is trying to discourage tons of guest coming & wants to ensure everyone is as safe as possible.

Just to note that masks are required for all of those as well, not just at the parks.

OP - they aren't going to make an exception to the rules, but whether they might ask his age to enforce those rules is anyone's guess. I suggest you continue to work with the child between now and the trip. Then do the best you can. If the mask is absolutely not working, head back to the resort pool where one isn't required. I wouldn't plan full days in the parks; go into it with loose expectations with regards to what you'll get accomplished in the parks and you can have a good time. I thought your plan was to skip parks this trip anyway.
I just meant maybe a breakfast or a couple hours at Disney Springs might be doable if the child is learning to wear a mask and can handle an hour or so of mask wear. Park tickets are awfully expensive to only spend a couple hours there and spend the rest of the day at the resort pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter