20 Days in Hawaii and Disneyland - Yes, we are Lucky Nuts (Updated 9/19)

cj9200

DIS Dad #412
Well, just booked our flights for DD's Graduation Extravaganza for June/July. Not cheap with the stop over in LA but at least it is paid for.

UPDATE: The trip is over and it is now time to document it. This is going to be a marathon. Hope to post updates regularly, one or two a week. We shall see if that is probable but I will give it a go. Decided to keep the TR here. Why? I don't know. It just seems easier. So this page will house the Table of Contents listing each update. The actual TR begins on Page 10.

There and Back Again: An Exotic Journey

The Preamble - Who, What, When and Where. AKA - Are we really doing this?

Leaving on a Jet Plane... AKA - Sixteen Hours Traveling?

Hawaii Day 1, Part 1 AKA - Lots of Rocks

First Day in the Islands, Part 2 AKA - What?

Day 2 Part 1 Under the seas AKA ARIEL?

Day 2 Part 2 More Underwater Adventures AKA The Night Dive. AKA WOW!SHARKS!

Last day of diving and the last day at Kona. AKA Where did the time go?

WOOHOO! This is on my list to start exploring as my oldest is graduating high school this June and just started to hint that we should do a trip to Aulani.

I briefly researched flights from Toronto and then quickly stopped looking - they are high! I need to spend some time this weekend digging around on the internet.

I will be following your thread very closely not only for information but because I love your trip reports!

Kim

Awesome!! DH and I booked some airfare in November for a big trip, and I'm just so excited! 105 more days!

Awesome!! DH and I booked some airfare in November for a big trip, and I'm just so excited! 105 more days!

You'll be getting there just as we'll be leaving, it seems. We'll keep the resort warm for you. ;)

Congratulations! We are also going in November. The only way I convinced DH to book it was because we have a bunch of miles saved up on our Amex Delta SkyMiles card, so the cost of the flight will be $10. (Remember, though, we had to spend about $80,000 on that card to get 2 "free" flights to Hawai'i, so hold your awe!) With our accommodations pre-paid and our flight free... we really only have to save for food, entertainment, and a rental car. Much more affordable!

I will be looking forward to your pre-trip and post-trip report. Seriously... gimme all the details so I can both plan accordingly for our vacation and to tide me over in the 10 intervening months till we go. :goodvibes

Here is the current itinerary.

Arrive Honolulu June 24 Fly to Big Island
Volcano National Park June 25
Scuba Dive Kona June 26 - 28
Rest June 29 Fly to Honolulu
Aluani June 30 - July 7
Fly Honolulu to LA July 8
Off Site hotel July 8 - 9
Grand California July 10 - 13
Fly LA to Miami July 13

The thing I am worried about the most is visiting Volcano National Park the day after we land in Hawaii. Can't help it though because that needs to be done before diving. Can't go in the middle because of altitude change. We also need a day of rest after diving before we fly back to Honolulu for the same reason. May cut underwater time to 2 days.

Well, I missed your October trip, so that will be good reading this weekend:thumbsup2 Will be looking forward to your TR and photos. And congrats to DD for almost making it through this year. Just those darn exams to take.

CJ - you are going to love the VGC!! We just stayed there, and I only wish the WDW DVCs were at the same standard as these!

Thinking about you with graduation right around the corner - if it hasn't happened already!

This has been dormant for a while, if it keeps going I imagine the mods will move it.

Joining in! Looking forward to hearing about it!

Looking forward to telling you about it.

CJ - you are going to love the VGC!! We just stayed there, and I only wish the WDW DVCs were at the same standard as these!

Thinking about you with graduation right around the corner - if it hasn't happened already!

Graduation is June 6. It will be a proud moment when she gets her diploma. She has earned it.

The trip is forming up nicely. And it is mostly paid for.

June 24 - Arrive Honolulu Fly to the Big Island
June 25 - Afternoon Helicopter trip to see the volcanos and waterfall
June 26 - 2 morning dives at Kona
June 27 - Night Manta Ray dive
June 28 - 2 morning dives
June 29 - No diving so we can detox for our flight to Oahu
June 30 - Check in at Aluani
July 1 - No plans
July 2 - This is when I wanted to have a cabana but they were sold out for the week
July 3 - No plans
July 4 - Pearl Harbor
July 5 - Beach BBQ and Horseback riding
July 6 - Spa day for the kid
July 7 - Check Out Arrive Airport Hotel (still need to get a room)
July 8 - Arrive LAX Holliday Inn near DL
July 9 - 1st park day Lunch at the Carthay Circle Theater later World of Color
July 10 - 2nd park day Check in at VGC dinner somewhere nice I imagine
July 11 - 3rd park day No meal plans
July 12 - Last park day Napa Rose for dinner at the Chefs Counter
July 13 - Saddest day of the trip, flying back to Miami

Have someone staying at the house and watching the dogs. Only things I have to book is the room for the night near the airport and the car for the week we are at Aluani. Need to figure out a few things that we are going to do at Oahu.

Been saving pennies and paying off the trip for a while. Starting to get excited.

Napa Rose is to die for! It was easily one of the top 3 meals I've had. Enjoy!

July 10 - maybe dinner at Blue Bayou? I know it's not in the "nice" category like Napa Rose, but it is pretty cool to have dinner while watching the boats for Pirates float by.

Napa Rose is to die for! It was easily one of the top 3 meals I've had. Enjoy!

July 10 - maybe dinner at Blue Bayou? I know it's not in the "nice" category like Napa Rose, but it is pretty cool to have dinner while watching the boats for Pirates float by.

Good suggestion. May do a lunch there instead. Going to scope things out when we get there and decide.

I actually prefer Blue Bayou for lunch. They serve the Monte Cristo for lunch only and you can't enjoy your evening cocktail for dinner when you eat there. However, the only real reason to eat there is for the ambience. The food is overpriced for the view.

If you just want a Monte Cristo they have them at Cafe Orleans, and they even offer a vegetarian version for several dollars less.

Good suggestion. May do a lunch there instead. Going to scope things out when we get there and decide.

Blue Bayou is the one place that books up weeks in advance so you might want to consider making that one before you go.

Your trip sounds wonderful. We haven't made it to the Big Island yet.

The picture for my countdown is from the beach at Aulani, I'd be happy to share.

What fun to anticipate! Your DD is a lucky girl.
Do you already have a car rented in Kona? The drive to Volcano park takes a while from Kona. I hope that you are able to get some sleep during your flight to Hawaii.

Do you already have a car rented in Kona? The drive to Volcano park takes a while from Kona. I hope that you are able to get some sleep during your flight to Hawaii.

They're taking a helicopter tour to the volcanoes! How cool is that? I never thought of that, we are planning a trip to the Big Island and Aulani (was going to be 2013, but now pushed back). Previously I could never afford things like helicopters, but in my current situation it isn't completely out of the question. I thought we would drive there and stay at Volcano House so that we had the stamina to do the loop drive around the Volcano National Park.

CJ, does the helicopter land at any point so that you get a chance to check out any of the stops on the tour or is it all flyover?

I actually prefer Blue Bayou for lunch. They serve the Monte Cristo for lunch only and you can't enjoy your evening cocktail for dinner when you eat there. However, the only real reason to eat there is for the ambience. The food is overpriced for the view.

If you just want a Monte Cristo they have them at Cafe Orleans, and they even offer a vegetarian version for several dollars less.

May do Cafe Orleans instead because I do like the Monte Cristo. We did Blue Bayou years ago when the kid was about two. Not worrying about seeing all the attractions but there are a number of food choices I am going to have to skip.

The picture for my countdown is from the beach at Aulani, I'd be happy to share.

Hopefully I will get one just as nice when we are there.

They're taking a helicopter tour to the volcanoes! How cool is that? I never thought of that, we are planning a trip to the Big Island and Aulani (was going to be 2013, but now pushed back). Previously I could never afford things like helicopters, but in my current situation it isn't completely out of the question. I thought we would drive there and stay at Volcano House so that we had the stamina to do the loop drive around the Volcano National Park.

CJ, does the helicopter land at any point so that you get a chance to check out any of the stops on the tour or is it all flyover?

Not getting a car at Kona but will have one at Aluani. One of the reasons we are taking the Copter, is I still have issues walking long distances. She requested volcanos and this was the easiest way to see them. Pretty sure there are no stop offs during the tour. That would be cool though. Maybe I can bribe the pilot.

So excited for another Trip Report from you!!! What an amazing graduation gift but she has worked really hard. I can't wait to hear all about it! We went to DL in '2010 and had a 2 bdrm at the Grand Californian! It was a beautiful resort and I loved the fact you could walk right into DTD! Just laying by the pool was awesome too, it was so beautiful you almost forgot you were at DL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter