2010 Tri Thread

Hi Tri Team! It looks like I will be mostly computer-less for 2 - 3 weeks, although I have...ahem...appropriated my younger DD's laptop for a bit this evening to come in to post my race report. This report is a bit overly wordy, as it is copied from my blog. Thanks to everyone for your support!

In the past several months, I've given up a lot of sleep and family time with early morning workouts, though I still feel better for the efforts I have made this past year. Next year I raise the stakes by aiming at the Ironman distance, and I know the personal costs will seem high at time. However, I also know the reward of finishing will be worth it as well.

Great job on a COLD morning....

Thought about all the folks up north of town as I tooled through a training run.

The bike coure is a little hilly for most Houstonians. I use a lot of the course for training rides for the MS 150....

Nice job on setting a new PR

Thanks to many of you for the kind words on my race! Charles, that area is definitely quite hilly by local standards, however I do now where to go back to for those hill workouts!

I am definitely tried following this past holiday weekend, maybe mostly due to following IM Cozumel yesterday, where I had several friends competing. Each finished and beat any time I could have done, although some had a tough race while others made their goals. I feel inspired all over again by these friends and can't wait to hear there stories.

I had to go waaaaaaayyyyyy back to find where this thread was languishing. :rotfl:
Now that the year has begun, my tri training has entered high gear as well. I have 4 triathlons planned for this year, 1 sprint, 2 Olympics and 1 IM. How are everyone else's plans looking at this point?

Yea Baby - you have IM Texas right? You better get in gear! Thanks for going after the thread.

We started on Jan 1 with a pretty tough ride run workout. Just finished a trail half marathon this weekend - what a blast!

2011 schedule:
Jan - Tour de Cape
March - Hooters to Hooters half marathon
March - Olympic in Clermont FL
April - HIM in New Orleans
May - Sept we have about 5 or 6 local tri's that I can pick from
Labor Day - Century ride in Sebring FL
Sept - August HIM (maybe) or Clermont HIM
Nov - IM Florida! Yahoo!!!
Dec - sleep!

enjoy,
Duane

WOW - you guys always make me feel so scrawny!!!;)

I'm looking at the schedules for this spring and I'm hoping to start off with a big ol' 5K in March :) to get me back "on the horse". There is an 8K in April that I'd like to do, and a Super-Sprint Tri in May. Follow that up with the Sprint-Tri that I normally do in June.
That's all so far - gotta work out all the details and make sure I can hit all the dates.
I'm starting my masters degree this spring too - don't want to take on too much. But I enjoyed it so much last year, I want to do more this year.

Duane Have you run the Hooters half before. I still entertain dreams of heading down south to run a half as part of my Boston training, and had actually looked at that one (Plus......Red Sox baseball!)

Maura

Duane Have you run the Hooters half before. I still entertain dreams of heading down south to run a half as part of my Boston training, and had actually looked at that one (Plus......Red Sox baseball!)

Maura

Maura,
I run it every year. Ok, the race is only 3 years old but I've run it all 3 years. Great race, good support. On course spectators are few and far between but there are enough runners that you are always with someone.

Come on down, it is a lot of fun. Where else do you get beer and wings at the finish!

Duane

Tour de Cape is in the books. We actually took a wrong turn and cut 10 miles off the course so we had to go out an do the went out and did the 10. I paid for 60 miles so I was going to ride for 60 miles :) This is the longest I've ridden sine the Miami Man in November.

The ride was in Cape Coral and featured a 15, 30, 60 and 100 mile ride. Aid stations every 15 miles too. It is nice to ride in a different pack although there are always one or two that are reckless.

Ended with a nice lunch at Rum Runners. Overall they did a great job.

OK, no races until Feb 19. (5k)

enjoy,
Duane

OK, second full week back to tri training. Our coach doesn't give any breaks, it was like we were in the middle of the year :) Always speed work on the track - which I really need but the swimming... After 30 minutes of drills we had a mile time test. Wait! I am just getting back into shape.

I slept in Sat and didn't go to the ride. Felt guilty but I was tired Sat morning and sometimes you need to listen to your body. Actually I didn't do any exercise Saturday. Painted the kitchen ceiling, ran some errands and that's about it. If I had a big race in the next month I wouldn't have done it but......

OK, need to spend an hour on the bike trainer today to make up for it. Ughhh. Just too cold to go out and ride. It dropped to 40 this morning from 60+ yesterday morning.

So who else is out there training? I know Richard is because he has IMTX coming up. Right Richard?

enjoy,
Duane

I know Richard is because he has IMTX coming up. Right Richard?

Right, Duane :thumbsup2

Today finishes up week 3 of my IMTX training. So far things are good, if a bit tiring. This next week is a recovery week for me after 3 build weeks.

Just checking in. Nothing happening yet, just training. Have a 5k in a few weeks. Nothing big until March.

enjoy,
Duane

So jealous. Our first tri isn't until at least Memorial Day weekend. :( Then agian, I'll be racing when it's too hot for many of you. ;) Excited to hear how IMTX training is going!

Hi, Carrie!! :wave:

Just popping in...I don't sign on too much anymore, but got caught up in the Princess 1/2 excitement. Just ran it, as a sort of run training kickoff for tri season. Way to force getting a long run in, since my long run prior to it was about 6 miles. :rolleyes1

Richard...I'm sure you're happy there is an IM close to home. Enjoy the heat and humidity! :goodvibes

I'm ramping up for IM Austria this year. Would love for it to actually go well, seeing as how my last two IMs were not good (DNF at IMSG, and PW at IMC). Have done some biking to get started (helping a friend train for IMNZ--I would ride part of her long rides). Need more pool time, for sure.

Upcoming races...Urban Dare, Rookie, a 1/2 marathon in Alaska, Hill Country ride, Boise 70.3, and maybe another sprint.

Hi All,
Hooters to Hooters half marathon this weekend. Yahoo!

Richard, we have about 10 people coming out for IMTX. You'll be in good company!

enjoy,
Duane

Richard...I'm sure you're happy there is an IM close to home. Enjoy the heat and humidity! :goodvibes

Betsy - I sure am happy about that! I was trying to figure out how to convince the DW to plan a trip to another IM destination, and then I started to hear the local rumors that turned out to be true, at least being local means saving on travel costs!

Duane - We have plenty of room for your people here, though I hear the hotels are filling. ;) OTOH, I would be happy to answer questions on what hotels are better located if you want to point someone my way. Good luck at your half!

I am taking a "break" this weekend by running in the 203 mile Texas Independence Relay with a team of 12 this weekend. Other than that, my training for IMTX is pretty good--better than expected, actually--other than a minor injury earlier this week that is now healed up.

Betsy! great o see you! WIsh I had known you were at Princess! :( Ya or the upcoming races!

Duane - Good luck this weeknd! Have fun!

Did 1150 in just under 31 min today. Took 4 or 5 seconds of my per lap average from last year! :cool1: Still slow, but so great to see imporvment. My swim coach actullly told me I look like a swimmer last week! SHe didn't knwo what I was doing when I started with her a year ago. Neither did I. :lmao:

Haha I said this last year and here I am saying it this year - I will learn how to swim well this year!

Hey there, everyone!

I am just popping in with a few quick items.

I had a great time at my relay 2 weekends back and would highly recommend a long really race and loads of fun and thoroughly exhausting!

I am now just under 3 weeks from my first tri of the season--the Kemah International Distrance Tri (until recently known as the Gateway to the Bay). The race features a start where they take you out on a boat and then you jump off and swim a straight line back to shore.

Finally, I have passed the halfway point of my IM training, 10 weeks down and 10 to go. So far, so good; although I think the breaks from training for the relay and the tri in 3 weeks provide a good mental break from the grind of the training program.

Getting closer Richard. I am riding and swimming with all the folks that are doing Texas - I will be more than ready for my half in April :) 80 mile ride yesterday. That just takes a long time.

PR'd the Hooters half last week - 1:51 That is good for me. Four minutes better than my previous PR.

Olympic in 2 weeks up in Clermont then nothing until New Orleans HIM.

enjoy all,
Duane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter