2010 Tri Thread

Duane...Nice job at NOLA! sorry 'bout the swim, and the wind... but sounds like a strong day for you anyway! I would love to do that race one year...mostly for the run.

Richard...Are you getting psyched?? :cheer2: I forget if this is your first IM. No matter...you know this is the time when you will start to feel tired, question everything, etc. Hang in there a couple more weeks, then taper time!

Sprint in Galveston was fine...I swam a little off course, had a good bike (no one passed me, but that's not too hard since I was in the next to last wave) though it was windy and I couldn't stay in my aerobars along the seawall, run was steady and strong for me (it's my weakness), so I was happy with overall performance. 6/22 in AG.

Did the Rookie last weekend, with hopes for a strong performance. Jacked up the swim, since I forgot to do the velcro on my wetsuit and it attached to the hair at the base of my head under my ponytail. That was not comfortable, but it was a short swim, so I didn't stop to fix it. ugh. Good bike, and for me, I felt very focused on the run, but still not fast enough for the podium. (behind some strong girls) 4/18 in AG, so that's not too bad! :goodvibes

Easter Hill Country ride this weekend, so I can get a century ride in, sandwiched between a couple of other rides. Next race isn't until June.

Kitty....You be careful!! Don't try to start back too soon....better to be fully healed...there are more races later in the season and next year!

Train hard, everyone!

Betsy - That was some wind in Galveston that weekend. I know of one friend who was taken down by the crosswind on the bike at one point! Fortunately, she was not really injured and was able to continue. 6th and 4th place finishes are outstanding finishes! Yes, I am getting so psyched up for IMTX!!! This is my first attempt at the Ironman distance. I had hoped to get to do one in late 2011/2012, and then this one popped up in my own neighborhood, which made it near impossible to pass up. I have a saved browser window that pops up with a countdown time whenever I want to be reminded of how much longer I have (currently at 28 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes, 14 seconds as I write this) to wait....speaking of which, I better get moving as I have a 4500 yard swim workout to get in this afternoon! Taper time starts after next weekend (not this coming one but the following one!), so all I have do is survive until then!

Duane - Great report! Sometimes a tough day is just the luck of the draw!

Betsy - you rock! Keep going, soon you'll be #1 :)

Getting closer Richard :eek:

I'm ridding 100 mi next weekend just to keep some of my peeps company but I don't have anything until a June sprint.

No much going on, maybe a sprint a month until September. We have an annual century ride up in Sebring which is really hilly. A lot of people have no idea that it can be hilly in Florida. Then Augusta HIM as a warm up to Florida!

enjoy,
Duane

good job, y'all!

Big riding this past weekend in the Hill Country. 49 mi on Friday, 91 on Saturday, 19 today. Saturday's ride had very rough chipseal for a 20 mile stretch and then a 32 mile stretch, and less rough chipseal for almost all of the rest, except for the 17 miles that I skipped (full ride was 109 or so). Hilly, hot, and windy to add to the difficulty. But I rode the hard parts and the major hills, so I'm good with my efforts.
My booty is tired. But I feel ok and it was good training.

good job, y'all!

Big riding this past weekend in the Hill Country. 49 mi on Friday, 91 on Saturday, 19 today. Saturday's ride had very rough chipseal for a 20 mile stretch and then a 32 mile stretch, and less rough chipseal for almost all of the rest, except for the 17 miles that I skipped (full ride was 109 or so). Hilly, hot, and windy to add to the difficulty. But I rode the hard parts and the major hills, so I'm good with my efforts.
My booty is tired. But I feel ok and it was good training.

I'd be walking like a cowboy :)

In order to prepare myself if I don't get into the NYC marathon (p.s. results come out tomorrow) I started researching backup fall race plans. I thought others might benefit since some of the races are not as well known, cheaper(MDot is up to $575ish for a full and $250-300 for a half, some of these are half that), and certainly googlable... distances are driving from Clovis, NM, which needless to say is a million miles from anything useful.

26 Jun – Buffalo Springs 70.3 $260 113 miles
4 Sep – Disneyland Half Marathon Paid fly
11 Sep – PrairieMan 70.3 $165 435 miles
11 Sep – Harvest Moon 70.3 $155 453 miles
18 Sep – Branson 70.3 $250 687 miles
24 Sep – Redman 140.6/70.3 $325/$225 thru 1 Jul 361 miles
25 Sep – ElephantMan 70.3/Oly $150/$85 thru 30 Jun 323 miles
1 Oct – W&D Half Marathon $155 thru 22 May fly
23 Oct – Austin 70.3 $275 473 miles

Hey! Does anyone (I'm likely speaking to the women, here :lmao:) use SkirtSports tri gear? I have a few of their running skirts and tops, but I'm looking at buying their tri bottoms and am wondering how they are as far as staying put.

Matt... haha...notice the price difference between the M-dot owned races (Buffalo Springs, Branson, and Austin) and the rest.

That said...Buffalo Springs is one of my favorites! Unfortunately, it has not fit into my schedule the last few years. The race directors are straightforward, class acts. Love them! Tough race, but one that you feel good for completing.
Have heard good things about the Branson race...good race directors (same as for the Kansas 70.3).

Several friends have done Redman and really liked it. I think supposed to be flat and fast. Prairieman, also flat....if they still have the run on the dam, I hear that is mentally challenging.

Austin 70.3 is a great race. Has lost a little of its local flavor since WTC took over, but a good race. Rolling hills. Good crowd.

To add to your list, look up High Five Events...there is going to be a 1/2 iron distance, olympic, and sprint weekend of Oct. 1-2 in Kerrville, TX in the hill country.

I've not looked much into my fall schedule yet. have to get through IM first. :)

Rode my last 100 miler yesterday in preparation for my FRIEND’s IMTX. Yea he owes me. Difference is he is running 18 miles today and I am not I also did it a few times last year so a couple of peeps didn't have to ride alone. Just putting favors in the bank because none of them will be training for an IM when I am in the depths of training so I'll need some peeps to ride with me.

Thanks for the list Matt. After IMFL I am looking at non WTC events. But some of the non WTC events around here are not that much cheaper. Actually my first HIM was a non WTC event.

Richard, this should be your last big weekend right? It’s all easy from here :)

Betsy, you have what, about 2 months left? Injury free!

Sarah, sorry I don’t use SportsSkirs tri gear. Just doesn’t fit right.

Enjoy,
Duane

Richard, this should be your last big weekend right? It’s all easy from here :)

I don't know about easy, but maybe just a bit easier.:rotfl: With today's run in the books, the taper period starts tomorrow--which is none too soon for me! The race's Athlete Guide came out this week, as did bib #'s (I am #2292!), so everything seems a bit more real right about now.

Hi all. Did a sprint this morning. Just 15 minutes from my house and on a Saturday. Perfect.

Lake swim that was as smooth as glass. Felt good. Bike course was 2 loops. Yea, even for a sprint it was 2 loops. Go figure. Run was fine. Actually should have run faster as I had too much energy left at the finish. Oh well you never know.

Finished in 1:10 even. They only have overall time and no splits or anything.

Nothing on tap until June 12, a reverse sprint down in Naples.

enjoy,
Duane

Hi everyone! I am crawling out from the woodwork to ask a question! I am a complete non-athlete but I have quite a bit of gumption (and am very stubborn) which has gotten me through 4 marathons, 7 halves and I started doing triathlons last year (I have done 5...I jump in with both feet!)
I am doing the NYC Tri in August and am starting to train now (well...I never really stop training but I am actually going to focus on that race!). My swimming is not bad but I am super slow. Has anyone here used the Total Immersion program? There is a master's club a little south of where I live and I think I will join. They do lessons twice a week and open water swims once a month. I am really hoping that it is beneficial!

Any other tri-advice for a relative newbie is appreciated. I have checked out the beginner triathlete site but most of those people certainly don't seem like beginners!
Thanks!
Jill

Hey Jill, welcome to Tri's :)

From what I hear TI is a good program. Never used it myself. The Masters program is the way to go. Especially since they also have an open water swim each week.

I read Beginner Trithlete all the time, really like the site. Lot of good information. They are great, you can ask anything.

Otherwise, I'd say enjoy yourself!

enjoy,
Duane

Good luck, Richard!! Go, Ironman!!

:cheer2::cheer2:

I'll be out there cheering...loud, obnoxious chick with gold pompoms, a cowbell, and maybe a tiara. On the run course by the canal most likely. :)

So now that my road bike is FINALLY on it's way to me, and my pool in my apartment is opening up next weekend....I feel like I can finally get to work on these two sports!

I would like to do a sprint tri at the end of the summer, but I'm also training or the NYC marathon. I wouldn't be terribly concerned with my time for the tri as long as I finish and I'm not the last one hah - but I really want to work hard and do well at the marathon. Do you all think it's possible to train for a marathon and cross train with the other two sports and finish a sprint successfully? Or am I setting myself up for disaster? Right now I'm running about 25-30 miles/week, doing weights twice a week, and getting to spin class once a week.

Good luck, Richard!! Go, Ironman!!

:cheer2::cheer2:

I'll be out there cheering...loud, obnoxious chick with gold pompoms, a cowbell, and maybe a tiara. On the run course by the canal most likely. :)

I'll watch for you if I am not too exhausted. I will be in a red, black and white OutRival Racing tri suit with the # 2292.

Thanks for the suppor neveryone!

Well, my Ironman day wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still a great day. I fought nausea for most of the day, which slowed the last part of my bike and my marathon. My biggest fear would be to start vomiting and then dehydrate beyond the point of coming back. So, I dropped the time goal and concentrated on finishing which freed me up to chat with the other athletes who were also having a hard day and high-five all the kids along the way. In the end I still had a lot of fun for my first Ironman experience as I finished in 16:35:49.

Well, my Ironman day wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still a great day. I fought nausea for most of the day, which slowed the last part of my bike and my marathon. My biggest fear would be to start vomiting and then dehydrate beyond the point of coming back. So, I dropped the time goal and concentrated on finishing which freed me up to chat with the other athletes who were also having a hard day and high-five all the kids along the way. In the end I still had a lot of fun for my first Ironman experience as I finished in 16:35:49.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2Way to GO!!!:cool1::cool1:

Congrats on the huge accomplishment! party: :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter