2016 January Check-in Thread

darn -- it goes down on monday jan 11 i was hoping it might come up on monday jan 18, looks like we might miss out on that as well!

gosh -- i knew of all the closures in January but it still makes me sad to see the list on the website!
i wonder how long HM is down for to remove the holiday overlay?

I feel the same! Heh. I feel like I landed on a nexus where everything in the park will be closed heh. I'm holding out hope that ISW will open early and I'll be able to get on on the 30th which is our last day.

have we heard anything reliable about when soarin will reopen, and if it will still be ...over california or not?

Joining! WDW vet here making his first DLR pilgrimage - Jan 1-5. Have reservations at both Red Lion and the Doubletree by the Convention Center. Which is better?

Touring Plans is showing Soarin down from 1/11 until June. If it is an updated movie, it will certainly be closed for many weeks. Really disappointed as it is one of our favorite rides. I hope somehow it isn't true.

Does anyone know if the Starbucks you are here mugs are still available in the parks?

And is there still a lot of Diamond Celebration merch in the parks? I'm hoping for the Minnie plush keychain, a few pins that say diamond celebration, and the Minnie ears (which are online so I'm not worried about those)...

We're starting our trip on the 31st of December, but will spend two January days in the parks - the 1st & the 3rd. This is a last minute, surprise trip for our kids. We'll let them know on Christmas. We've been every year since DD2 was born. I was afraid we weren't going to make it this year, but I convinced DH by showing him all the Star Wars stuff that is going on now. :) Can't wait to go back. There seem to have been a lot of changes since we last were in the parks July of 2014.

Oops, forgot to add that were are staying at the Hyatt Place. We love the DLH, but couldn't stomach the prices. We plan on taking the tram from the Toy Story Lot. Maybe we'll even hoof it in one of the mornings, if we have the inclination.

My wife and I are heading to Disneyland January 29-31, staying at Grand Californian. It's our first trip since we were 5 and 6. Excited to see how DL is different than WDW!

My wife and I are heading to Disneyland January 29-31, staying at Grand Californian. It's our first trip since we were 5 and 6. Excited to see how DL is different than WDW!

You'll be there same time as us! We're staying at the GC too. Glad to know we wont be alone during the Great Closure trip heh

We will be at Disneyland on the weekend of Jan 15 -17th.I have been checking to find information on fireworks. They are listed for the weekend before but not for this weekend. Will they add that information latter or will they not be on that weekend. We will be specifically going on one of these days to see the night time shows. The visit for rides will occur the next week. Thanks for your help.

More detailed info will we added in the future - I usually don't look at the schedule until 2 weeks before my trip

Since we will be there on the 10th and 11th, sounds like we better run around doing a bunch of things on the 10th before they close. Actually I'm happy we will get to see the HM and JC before they close. I had thought they would be down already.

I'll be there with my oldest daughter and her family (fiancé and 5 kids 12-10-7-3-1) Jan 1-2. My daughter's bday is on Christmas morning and her youngest daughter in Jan 7 so she really wants to see the Christmas decorations for both their birthdays. We are staying at Ramada South

This will be a surprise trip for all the kids. I can't wait to see how excited they are.

Last edited:
Joining! WDW vet here making his first DLR pilgrimage - Jan 1-5. Have reservations at both Red Lion and the Doubletree by the Convention Center. Which is better?

Welcome for your first trip. I don't have any advice on your hotels but as a kid who grew up going to WDW I hope you love DLR as much as I do.

We're starting our trip on the 31st of December, but will spend two January days in the parks - the 1st & the 3rd. This is a last minute, surprise trip for our kids. We'll let them know on Christmas. We've been every year since DD2 was born. I was afraid we weren't going to make it this year, but I convinced DH by showing him all the Star Wars stuff that is going on now. :) Can't wait to go back. There seem to have been a lot of changes since we last were in the parks July of 2014.

Oops, forgot to add that were are staying at the Hyatt Place. We love the DLH, but couldn't stomach the prices. We plan on taking the tram from the Toy Story Lot. Maybe we'll even hoof it in one of the mornings, if we have the inclination.

Welcome to the January group. I am split between the Jan and February so I found the last 2 years I did this I was able to learn a lot from the Jan. group and pass my info on to the people going later in the February group.

Welcome! I am sure the park has changed a lot. i am assuming that DCA will be new to you if you haven't been since you were little. Enjoy the changes with DL and discovering DCA.

We will be at Disneyland on the weekend of Jan 15 -17th.I have been checking to find information on fireworks. They are listed for the weekend before but not for this weekend. Will they add that information latter or will they not be on that weekend. We will be specifically going on one of these days to see the night time shows. The visit for rides will occur the next week. Thanks for your help.

Welcome. With bigger crowds expected for the Star Wars Run and Martin Luther King 3 day weekend I would assume the fireworks will be happening. One suggestion do them the first night you can. I think at least one night was cancelled the last 2 years we have gone in January because of wind. If you wait for your last night you may miss them. As I recall we also have had them cancelled in March because of wind.

I'll be there with my oldest daughter and her family (fiancé and 5 kids 12-10-7-3-1) Jan 1-2. My daughter's bday is on Christmas morning and her youngest daughter in Jan 7 so she really wants to see the Christmas decorations for both their birthdays. We are staying at Ramada South

This will be a surprise trip for all the kids. I can't wait to see how excited they are.

Great Surprise! Welcome! I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter