• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

Is there talk of not having the HM overlay? We really like it...

Yes and no. In today's MiceChat Rumor Update article (which I mentioned in a post a little while ago), there is no specific mention of HMH being done away with, but that the transition of Halloween Time from DL to DCA will take place in 2 phases, this year and next year, with MHP eventually moving to DCA in 2018.

In the comments underneath that article, someone asks Dusty Sage about HMH going away. Dusty doesn't know for sure what will happen to HMH, but raised a good point about Disney wanting to move as many people as possible over to DCA to kind of prevent extra crowds when Star Wars Land opens. So it would not be shocking if HMH were to eventually disappear, at least for a few years after Star Wars Land opens. I don't think it's going away this year, but maybe sometime in the next couple of years it could take a break -- especially if the rumored overlays on the 2 rides in DCA are popular, which they will be, of course.

:wave::wave: Subscribing... Waiting for the Halloween Time and MHP announcements! Did everyone read the latest MiceChat Rumor Update from today, which has a segment about Halloween Time, and how the transition to DCA is going to take place in 2 phases? Some of it will happen this year (including 2 new ride overlays in DCA), and some of it will take place next year (including MHP and the parade moving to DCA, and more decorations). So it sounds like this could be the last year for MHP at DL -- at least for several years. We'll see what happens.

I was saying on Facebook that I, personally, cannot envision Main Street without the Pumpkin Festival, even if the bulk of Halloween Time moves to DCA. And I certainly hope they don't remove Haunted Mansion Holiday from DL, because that would impact the holiday season too.

Hi @Sherry E ! Glad to see you in this thread.

I too hope they don't change HMH, it is our favourite ride, I can't imagine Halloweentime without it.

I also read the Facebook post. I really enjoy Halloween time at DL. I personally don't think it will be the same at DCA. I absolutely love the HMH overlay. I don't care much for SMGG so, they could get rid of this and I wouldn't care either way. I love all the Mickey pumpkins in DL. It makes me so sad to think this may be the last Halloween party we attend in DL. We will still go next year if it moves to DCA just to see ow it is and to see if we want to continue going to the parties.

They're usually MWF (as the past several years have shown). People have said they aren't sure if Disney is going to stick to this schedule for this year, but I'm almost certain. They probably aren't going to subtract any parties, only add because they're so popular - last year I believe they had 14 party dates. They don't tend to do back-to-back party days during the week. So an average MWF schedule seems to make the most sense.

Will there be one Monday 30th and Halloween night then if they dont tend to do back to back parties during the week

It makes sense that they would move the party to even out the crowds with Stars wars Land. I just don't understand the "moving some of it" this year. That only makes sense to me if the party covers both parks. I'm sure I'll understand it better when it happens.

I just can't imagine Haunted Mansion without the overlay. I feel like the attic has been dumbed down so much in the regular version compared to what it was years ago. Whenever I go through it, I feel disappointed. At least with the overlay, there are interesting things to look at. I'm all for reducing crowds, though. In fact, I figured I'd avoid the whole area for at least a year when Star Wars land opens.

It makes sense that they would move the party to even out the crowds with Stars wars Land. I just don't understand the "moving some of it" this year. That only makes sense to me if the party covers both parks. I'm sure I'll understand it better when it happens.

I just can't imagine Haunted Mansion without the overlay. I feel like the attic has been dumbed down so much in the regular version compared to what it was years ago. Whenever I go through it, I feel disappointed. At least with the overlay, there are interesting things to look at. I'm all for reducing crowds, though. In fact, I figured I'd avoid the whole area for at least a year when Star Wars land opens.

I thought that the proposed 2-phase transition of Halloween Time from DL to DCA was curious as well. I didn't expect it to be tackled over 2 separate years. What they're really doing is, essentially, moving a seasonal celebration as opposed to just moving a single event. The event (MHP) is part of the season, and the parade is part of MHP, but the entire season will include the 2 ride overlays in DCA, as well as new decorations packages for DCA that will presumably be up in Sept-Oct, even on non-party nights. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some little extras thrown in here and there too, just to really build up Halloween in DCA -- for example, maybe a return of the pumpkin carvers and just other little odds and ends.

So, to that end, if the MiceChat Rumor Update article is on to something and this is really happening, the 2-phase transition would start with nothing moving or being removed, but with something being added in to DCA -- which would be the 2 ride overlays. Everything would stay as is in DL for Halloween Time during Phase 1 of the transition, but the ride overlays would be drawing people into DCA.

Then, assuming the DCA ride overlays are a hit in their first year, in the second year (Phase 2) of the transition, those overlays would be back as selling points of the Halloween Time season, and then the Halloween party (including the parade) would move to DCA.

So they'd start out by adding something in to the other park, and then finish up the whole endeavor by moving the other things over. One year of adding new stuff/ride overlays in DCA. One year of moving MHP from DL to DCA, possibly moving the parade and possibly adding a new World of Color -- IF the rumors are accurate.

I think that what Disney might be trying to do is to get people used to Halloween Time being in DCA, starting by highlighting the new seasonal ride overlays in the park. Not only that, but if they launch 2 new ride overlays in the same year, rather than one in 2017 and one in 2018 -- the jury is still out on whether that is really happening -- there might be kinks to work out and things they want to fix before they include those 2 ride overlays as part of a paid party the following year (the overlays would be available all day to anyone, even non-MHP guests, of course, but the shorter wait times would be the perk of having them included in the party).

They sort of did this with Halloween Screams back in 2009 -- they ran it all season for everyone during Halloween Time (even though the actual party was taking place in DCA at that point), and then, when it was declared a hit, it was suddenly a selling point of the actual party in Disneyland the following year. The only difference is that HS became a party exclusive, whereas the 2 overlays would not be MHP exclusives -- just extra things to make MHP, and Halloween Time in general, at DCA sound more enticing and appealing as a whole Halloween Time experience.

So that's what the overlays in DCA would be doing -- luring people in during the first year, and then becoming extra perks of a paid party in DCA in 2018, with the "perks" being shorter lines and wait times during MHP (even though they would not be exclusive to MHP).

Somewhere in there, the Halloween version of World of Color would be added in as well.

Last edited:
I thought that the proposed 2-phase transition of Halloween Time from DL to DCA was curious as well. I didn't expect it to be tackled over 2 separate years. What they're really doing is, essentially, moving a seasonal celebration as opposed to just moving a single event. The event (MHP) is part of the season, and the parade is part of MHP, but the entire season will include the 2 ride overlays in DCA, as well as new decorations packages for DCA that will presumably be up in Sept-Oct, even on non-party nights. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some little extras thrown in here and there too, just to really build up Halloween in DCA -- for example, maybe a return of the pumpkin carvers and just other little odds and ends.

So, to that end, if the MiceChat Rumor Update article is on to something and this is really happening, the 2-phase transition would start with nothing moving or being removed, but with something being added in to DCA -- which wouldbe the 2 ride overlays. Everything would stay as is in DL for Halloween Time during Phase 1 of the transition, but the ride overlays would be drawing people into DCA.

Then, assuming the DCA ride overlays are a hit in their first year, in the second year (Phase 2) of the transition, those overlays would be back as selling points of the Halloween Time season, and then the Halloween party (including the parade) would move to DCA.

So they'd start out by adding something in to the other park, and then finish up the whole endeavor by moving the other things over. One year of adding new stuff/ride overlays in DCA. One year of moving MHP from DL to DCA, possibly moving the parade and possibly adding a new World of Color -- IF the rumors are accurate.

I think that what Disney might be trying to do is to get people used to Halloween Time being in DCA, starting by highlighting the new seasonal ride overlays in the park. Not only that, but if they launch 2 new ride overlays in the same year, rather than one in 2017 and one in 2018 -- the jury is still out on whether that is really happening -- there might be kinks to work out and things they want to fix before they include those 2 ride overlays as part of a paid party the following year (the overlays would be available all day to anyone, even non-MHP guests, of course, but the shorter wait times would be the perk of having them included in the party).

They sort of did this with Halloween Screams back in 2009 -- they ran it all season for everyone during Halloween Time (even though the actual party was taking place in DCA at that point), and then, when it was declared a hit, it was suddenly a selling point of the actual party in Disneyland the following year. The only difference is that HS became a party exclusive, whereas the 2 overlays would not be MHP exclusives -- just extra things to make MHP, and Halloween Time in general, at DCA sound more enticing and appealing as a whole Halloween Time experience.

So that's what the overlays in DCA would be doing -- luring people in during the first year, and then becoming extra perks of a paid party in DCA in 2018, with the "perks" being shorter lines and wait times during MHP (even though they would not be exclusive to MHP).

Somewhere in there, the Halloween version of World of Color would be added in as well.
This makes perfect sense. If they do move MHP to DCA I just hope they keep Halloween screams and the Mickey pumpkins through out DL and the HMH lay over as this is my favorite. I think it would be nice to see Halloween themed stuff in both parks.

This makes perfect sense. If they do move MHP to DCA I just hope they keep Halloween screams and the Mickey pumpkins through out DL and the HMH lay over as this is my favorite. I think it would be nice to see Halloween themed stuff in both parks.

I have to imagine that the pumpkins will stay on Main Street. That giant Mickey pumpkin in Town Square is way too popular to let go of, and it ties into the Pumpkin Festival on Main Street. They've got to keep all of that, I think.

I would really prefer a more all-encompassing Halloween Time celebration that included both parks, rather than the lopsided way they have been doing it, with most of the action happening in DL, and DCA almost completely lacking in any Halloween fun. The holiday/Christmas seasonal vibe is much, much more widespread. While the 2 parks have different holiday season "personalities," I guess we could call them, at least it feels like both parks are involved in the holiday merriment in some way. But Halloween Time -- since the last DCA Halloween party in 2009 -- has mainly just been a Disneyland-only thing. Ever since the giant candy corn and Candy Corn Acres left DCA and did not return in 2010, the whole season left with it! There was the Halloween version of the Mad T Party in DCA for a while, but other than that there wasn't much. That alone was not enough to make DCA seem like it was celebrating Halloween.

So it would be great if we could get a more even distribution of Halloween things between the 2 parks, but I fear that this MiceChat Rumor article is suggesting that it's still going to be lopsided -- just mostly in DCA instead of in DL.

I agree -- it would be wonderful if they could unlock Halloween Screams from its party-exclusive box and run it in DL during the season. I'm sure a lot of people have never seen that particular fireworks show, and it is a treat!

I have to imagine that the pumpkins will stay on Main Street. That giant Mickey pumpkin in Town Square is way too popular to let go of, and it ties into the Pumpkin Festival on Main Street. They've got to keep all of that, I think.

I would really prefer a more all-encompassing Halloween Time celebration that included both parks, rather than the lopsided way they have been doing it, with most of the action happening in DL, and DCA almost completely lacking in any Halloween fun. The holiday/Christmas seasonal vibe is much, much more widespread. While the 2 parks have different holiday season "personalities," I guess we could call them, at least it feels like both parks are involved in the holiday merriment in some way. But Halloween Time -- since the last DCA Halloween party in 2009 -- has mainly just been a Disneyland-only thing. Ever since the giant candy corn and Candy Corn Acres left DCA and did not return in 2010, the whole season left with it! There was the Halloween version of the Mad T Party in DCA for a while, but other than that there wasn't much. That alone was not enough to make DCA seem like it was celebrating Halloween.

So it would be great if we could get a more even distribution of Halloween things between the 2 parks, but I fear that this MiceChat Rumor article is suggesting that it's still going to be lopsided -- just mostly in DCA instead of in DL.

I agree -- it would be wonderful if they could unlock Halloween Screams from its party-exclusive box and run it in DL during the season. I'm sure a lot of people have never seen that particular fireworks show, and it is a treat!

YES!!!! Why do the holidays have to be in 1 park only?? :)

Almost all of the party dates have historically sold out before the day of the party, but tickets don't sell out on the first day (or even the first few weeks). You can see the sell out dates for 2016 and 2015 in these posts and I will try to track the 2017 sell out dates as well.
Also in the past even if a date has sold out there can sometimes still be tickets available if you call the reservation and ticket line directly. We had this happen in the past and were still able to get tickets going that route. It isn't a guarantee and the number is limited but if someone finds the date they really want is sold out online it is worth a shot.

I agree, it's always worth a shot to call the ticketing line as soon as possible if you want a date that is sold out online. There have also been reports that the onsite hotels have a few tickets available "day of" for their guests, but that seems like a much riskier route...

I would really prefer a more all-encompassing Halloween Time celebration that included both parks, rather than the lopsided way they have been doing it, with most of the action happening in DL, and DCA almost completely lacking in any Halloween fun.

This is a fabulous idea. Spread the love, and the crowds between the parks!

I'm trying to lock down my dates. I think we're going Octl 11 or 12 and staying until the 14 or 15. It kind of depends on if the party is on Friday the 13th, or Saturday the 14. My guess is they're going to hold it on the 13. What does anyone think?

I think you're right -- the party will be on the 13th. A Friday the 13th party during Halloween Time is too good to resist. I'm sure the Parks Blog will find an angle for a blog that ties in Friday the 13th with Halloween Time.

I think you're right -- the party will be on the 13th. A Friday the 13th party during Halloween Time is too good to resist. I'm sure the Parks Blog will find an angle for a blog that ties in Friday the 13th with Halloween Time.

It may mean bigger crowds. Oh joy.

I have memories of the Unleash the Villains event on 9/13/13 (a Friday during Halloween Time) oh so long ago, and that was a madhouse -- the crowds were crazy in certain areas -- but that was mainly due to Unleash the Villains being a Limited Time Magic event, and also due to the start of Halloween Time. It was a poorly organized event. The Parks Blog did play up the "Friday the 13th" angle, though.

:wave::wave: Subscribing... Waiting for the Halloween Time and MHP announcements! Did everyone read the latest MiceChat Rumor Update from today, which has a segment about Halloween Time, and how the transition to DCA is going to take place in 2 phases? Some of it will happen this year (including 2 new ride overlays in DCA), and some of it will take place next year (including MHP and the parade moving to DCA, and more decorations). So it sounds like this could be the last year for MHP at DL -- at least for several years. We'll see what happens.

I was saying on Facebook that I, personally, cannot envision Main Street without the Pumpkin Festival, even if the bulk of Halloween Time moves to DCA. And I certainly hope they don't remove Haunted Mansion Holiday from DL, because that would impact the holiday season too.

Welcome back!!!! You were missed! Hoping you will post often and with plenty of pics too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter