2018 Princess Half Marathon

Hi guys! I have a quick question for you all. My sister, my friend and myself are all super interested in doing the princess half marathon. My sister is a runner so I'm not really worried about her but my friend and I don't really run much. Do you think we could train to complete the half marathon in a year(technically less than a year)? Or are we being too ambitious ?

any speculations on the theme of next year's princess? I'm hesitant to sign up, but I wouldn't forgive myself if it was moana themed and I didnt get the chance to run it.

They usually will tease it somewhere in marketing communication materials. This could be a reminder, registration rules, or even just stating it on the site.

As nothing officially official has been sent yet, we can only wonder. I would guess they may not want to do similar themes from the last 3-4 years, so my guess is that: Belle, Ariel, Frozen Sisters, and Cinderella would not be choices. But it's Disney... now that it's a Fairy Tale Challenge we could see Villains and Princesses and who knows what else included ;)

If things haven't changed from the last few years, you should know before open registration day. But not guaranteed. Nothing is ever certain from Disney!

My sister is a runner so I'm not really worried about her but my friend and I don't really run much. Do you think we could train to complete the half marathon in a year(technically less than a year)? Or are we being too ambitious ?

What do you mean by that you "don't really run much?" What is the longest distance that you have completed? If you haven't completed a race, I would strongly suggest running at least a 5K to see if you like the sport and can imagine yourself doing four times the distance. :)

If you feel that you're up for the challenge, you can follow training plans that will allow you to finish in an upright position within the 16 minute mile pace. Jeff Galloway's beginniners program will be perfect for you: https://secure.as1.wdpromedia.com/m...ncess-half-marathon/2017_PRN_Galloway_Beg.pdf It's 22 weeks and as long as you feel that you can maintain it you should be able to finish.

Running is not for everyone and can be a LOT of stress on the body. Think about time and dedication you're able to give over the next 6-8 months for training. It is not fun to spend $200 on a race and then get pulled off the course for a DNF because you weren't trained - you don't want to be injured. Good luck. It's definitely doable to get trained in time for next year. You may even be speedy! :D

Hi guys! I have a quick question for you all. My sister, my friend and myself are all super interested in doing the princess half marathon. My sister is a runner so I'm not really worried about her but my friend and I don't really run much. Do you think we could train to complete the half marathon in a year(technically less than a year)? Or are we being too ambitious ?
I was exactly the same. In my opinion, a half marathon is definitely a trainable in under a year. If you are really motivated to start early and go steadily.

I started training in June-an 8 week Couch to 5K program, then gradually built up my weekend run until I did my 10k race (that I chose to submit for a qualifying time) in October, then kept on, usually with 3 runs a week, and was ready in plenty of time. I used a ZombiesRun! Couch to 5K plan/app- which I liked because the early weeks I was instructed to "slowly run for 15 seconds", then walk for 1 minute (plus entertainment and someone in my ear coaching me along). I can handle that!

I started the Couch to 5k before registration (which used to be in July)- just to see if I liked it before committing. I wanted to know I would enjoy the training process- since I would spend way more time training than actually at WDW.

IMO the key is to go s l o w l y. I think there are some issues all new runners get as you start developing- like calf pain and shin splints- and I had built in enough time in my plan that I could baby the heck out of myself when they popped up. I built plenty of rest days into my training plan (I ran Sun, Tue, Thurs usually, and towards the end I might add in an interval run. ZombiesRun actually has Half Training plans now but I don't like them because they want 5 days of running/week and that doesn't fit with me at all. Their Couch to 5K, on the other hand, is 3 sessions a week and they tell you at the end of each one to rest up and come back "the day after tomorrow").

If I needed it, I would skip a days run rather than run with pain.(I'd seen a youtube video about a woman who had been training for her first Princess Half and ended up getting a stress fracture and not being able to run- and I confess it made me a little paranoid, but in hindsight, the paranoia kept me pretty healthy!)

And- although this is not for everyone- I did a training plan that included long runs that went up to 14 miles. Most 12 week plans will top out at 10- by then you have built the lung and leg capacity you need and that plus the adrenaline of the race is supposed to carry you the last 3 miles. But I am of a distrustful nature and I needed to know before race day that not only could I do this, I could do it and have some left in the tank, so I went to 14. (As it turns out, with all the weaving in and out- according to my running app I actually ran 13.8 miles on race day so this came in handy!)

Not a bad plan.

My cousin started with the 5k in 2016. This year she did the 5&10. Next year she's doing the challenge.

You could also just do the runs each of you wants to do. The first year I did the 5&10 and this year I did all 3. My cousin just slept in the morning of my extra race. It would also slow you down for the 10k, if you and your friend were doing the challenge and your mom isn't, which might make her happier.

There is nothing that prevents moving back into a slower corrall- only moving forward. Trying to submit proofs of time calibrated to get you exactly together is a little tricky because where the corrall breaks is not always the same. So I'd say you and your neighbor submit your best times and then she comes and joins you.

I totally think having your Mom maybe start with just the 10K is a good idea- even if you end up doing the Challenge with your neighbor. I did the reverse- ran the half while some friends ran just the 10k or one did the Challenge- and it meant everyone had someone on the course to wave at during her race but not all of us had to get up early two days in a row.

Our friend Andy sounds like your Mom- she was not a runner at all and this was her first 10k and it was just the right amount of runnning for her. She got the excitement of the Disney race- but didn't have to try and train for a half or both. She loved it so much she wants to do the half next time.

FWIW my pals and I had a weekly email starting the summer before that chatted about or training and we posted our paces- so we knew how far apart we were. Being kinda competitive we each ended up really wanting to run the half (it was our first) and since our paces ranged from 9:30 to 11:30- we did end up each starting in her own corrall. But I had trained alone so I'm not sure I would have been a good buddy runner anyway.

Thanks for your inputs!

When I saw that one of the charity teams is Children's Miracle Network I decided to reach out to my aunt and her daughter who live in Florida. My cousin just raised over $1,000 for these hospitals through Dance Marathon, so I've invited her and my aunt to come either run or spectate and do a charity run. Right now my cousin is seriously considering doing the 10k with me, and then my aunt and mom (and now Dad, too!) will come to watch, then my Mom and Dad will do the 5k! I'm 99% sure I'm doing the 10k, it's just a matter of getting registered and raising the minimum. Hopefully my neighbor can come and do either the 10k or half! She just really wants to run in a tutu! :rotfl:

As nice as it would be to run with my mom and neighbor, it will also be fun to have someone cheering you on! That's something to look forward to! :)

I'm also not super nervous about being in a late corral, because I know that I'm fairly fast and will get up into a space further ahead where I feel like I have time to meet my favorite characters along the route.

What do you mean by that you "don't really run much?" What is the longest distance that you have completed? If you haven't completed a race, I would strongly suggest running at least a 5K to see if you like the sport and can imagine yourself doing four times the distance. :)

If you feel that you're up for the challenge, you can follow training plans that will allow you to finish in an upright position within the 16 minute mile pace. Jeff Galloway's beginniners program will be perfect for you: https://secure.as1.wdpromedia.com/m...ncess-half-marathon/2017_PRN_Galloway_Beg.pdf It's 22 weeks and as long as you feel that you can maintain it you should be able to finish.

Running is not for everyone and can be a LOT of stress on the body. Think about time and dedication you're able to give over the next 6-8 months for training. It is not fun to spend $200 on a race and then get pulled off the course for a DNF because you weren't trained - you don't want to be injured. Good luck. It's definitely doable to get trained in time for next year. You may even be speedy! :D

Thanks for the reply. I really don't have any running experience outside of jogging the neighborhood to be quite honest. I kind of felt like this would be a goal for me to work towards. I appreciate everything you said because I don't want to be miserable and running is definitely a serious thing. 22 weeks seems perfect since I have almost a full year. Another great thing is there is a place in my town that offers training programs for running.

I was exactly the same. In my opinion, a half marathon is definitely a trainable in under a year. If you are really motivated to start early and go steadily.

I started training in June-an 8 week Couch to 5K program, then gradually built up my weekend run until I did my 10k race (that I chose to submit for a qualifying time) in October, then kept on, usually with 3 runs a week, and was ready in plenty of time. I used a ZombiesRun! Couch to 5K plan/app- which I liked because the early weeks I was instructed to "slowly run for 15 seconds", then walk for 1 minute (plus entertainment and someone in my ear coaching me along). I can handle that!

I started the Couch to 5k before registration (which used to be in July)- just to see if I liked it before committing. I wanted to know I would enjoy the training process- since I would spend way more time training than actually at WDW.

IMO the key is to go s l o w l y. I think there are some issues all new runners get as you start developing- like calf pain and shin splints- and I had built in enough time in my plan that I could baby the heck out of myself when they popped up. I built plenty of rest days into my training plan (I ran Sun, Tue, Thurs usually, and towards the end I might add in an interval run. ZombiesRun actually has Half Training plans now but I don't like them because they want 5 days of running/week and that doesn't fit with me at all. Their Couch to 5K, on the other hand, is 3 sessions a week and they tell you at the end of each one to rest up and come back "the day after tomorrow").

If I needed it, I would skip a days run rather than run with pain.(I'd seen a youtube video about a woman who had been training for her first Princess Half and ended up getting a stress fracture and not being able to run- and I confess it made me a little paranoid, but in hindsight, the paranoia kept me pretty healthy!)

And- although this is not for everyone- I did a training plan that included long runs that went up to 14 miles. Most 12 week plans will top out at 10- by then you have built the lung and leg capacity you need and that plus the adrenaline of the race is supposed to carry you the last 3 miles. But I am of a distrustful nature and I needed to know before race day that not only could I do this, I could do it and have some left in the tank, so I went to 14. (As it turns out, with all the weaving in and out- according to my running app I actually ran 13.8 miles on race day so this came in handy!)

I have looked into couch to 5k! This is what my sister used years ago to get her running. I think my biggest problem is I don't take things slow! I think I'm going to take your advice and download the app and start there.

Thank you both this gives me a lot to think about !

Thanks for the reply. I really don't have any running experience outside of jogging the neighborhood to be quite honest. I kind of felt like this would be a goal for me to work towards. I appreciate everything you said because I don't want to be miserable and running is definitely a serious thing. 22 weeks seems perfect since I have almost a full year. Another great thing is there is a place in my town that offers training programs for running.

You got this. Signing up is almost as scary as running the actual race. ;)

any speculations on the theme of next year's princess? I'm hesitant to sign up, but I wouldn't forgive myself if it was moana themed and I didnt get the chance to run it.

They usually will tease it somewhere in marketing communication materials. This could be a reminder, registration rules, or even just stating it on the site.

As nothing officially official has been sent yet, we can only wonder. I would guess they may not want to do similar themes from the last 3-4 years, so my guess is that: Belle, Ariel, Frozen Sisters, and Cinderella would not be choices. But it's Disney... now that it's a Fairy Tale Challenge we could see Villains and Princesses and who knows what else included ;)

If things haven't changed from the last few years, you should know before open registration day. But not guaranteed. Nothing is ever certain from Disney!

Agreed. There is absolutely no way of knowing yet. Especially with this being the anniversary year, the theme could be anything. There are no theories, there are no ways to guess until there are graphics that give us hints, or they outright announce it.

This is 100% correct. It's definitely doable, but please please please take this seriously. 13.1 miles is a lot, whether it's at Disney World or not, whether you walk it or run it. It's no joke.

Seeing as how all the registration dates have been moved up, does anyone want to hypothesize when they will likely start "teasing" the theme?

I think a year is plenty of time to train to run a half (and even a full) marathon, as long as you are sure you want to do it, and commit to the training. In actuality, there are training programs that will get you there in a lot less than a year. There are charities like Team in Training that will get people who go from couch to half (and other races) in under 6 months. I think the real question is do you want to run the half or do want to have done it? It is not the same thing. Some people want to be able to get the bling and say they've done it, but really don't want to do it. Those are the people who have trouble usually. If you really want to do it, then you absolutely have time to train. Although I was in good shape from other activities, I did not run with any regularity until July 2013, for the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2014. So, 7ish months of running got me there ok. I was ready and finished without fear of the sweepers:) Since you have a plenty of time, I'd make sure you do a 10k for proof of time to move forward in the corrals.

I think a year is plenty of time to train to run a half (and even a full) marathon, as long as you are sure you want to do it, and commit to the training. In actuality, there are training programs that will get you there in a lot less than a year. There are charities like Team in Training that will get people who go from couch to half (and other races) in under 6 months. I think the real question is do you want to run the half or do want to have done it? It is not the same thing. Some people want to be able to get the bling and say they've done it, but really don't want to do it. Those are the people who have trouble usually. If you really want to do it, then you absolutely have time to train. Although I was in good shape from other activities, I did not run with any regularity until July 2013, for the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2014. So, 7ish months of running got me there ok. I was ready and finished without fear of the sweepers:) Since you have a plenty of time, I'd make sure you do a 10k for proof of time to move forward in the corrals.

Hey I appreciate this! I personally want the accomplishment of completing the half marathon and I feel like running through Disney will be a great motivation. I seem to be getting good feedback that 1 year is enough time. I don't want to take any chances of pushing myself more than I should or having unrealistic expectations. I'm not a great runner by any means(I have bad form) but training with my friend will be a giant help I believe. I will take your advice and try and get a 10k under my belt ! Thank you so much!

Hey I appreciate this! I personally want the accomplishment of completing the half marathon and I feel like running through Disney will be a great motivation. I seem to be getting good feedback that 1 year is enough time. I don't want to take any chances of pushing myself more than I should or having unrealistic expectations. I'm not a great runner by any means(I have bad form) but training with my friend will be a giant help I believe. I will take your advice and try and get a 10k under my belt ! Thank you so much!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is so common with new runners, so I have to say it again. A year is plenty of time, but you can't slack just because it is plenty of time. I started pretty close to 1 year out. I trained up to a 5K first, then went straight into 10K training, then straight into half training. The timing was just about right, especially if you allow breaks for injury, illness, or just life getting in the way. I highly recommend sticking to it all year so that you have some wiggle room.

Did I read rD's Princess page correctly, that they are only having one day (Saturday) for Kids' races? Is this the norm for Princess weekend? Marathon weekend usually has one day for every race except marathon day (Sunday).

Did I read rD's Princess page correctly, that they are only having one day (Saturday) for Kids' races? Is this the norm for Princess weekend? Marathon weekend usually has one day for every race except marathon day (Sunday).

In past there have been kid races on Fri and Saturday.

Anyone know if I could use Disney Visa reward dollars to pay for my registration?

I have another question for you guys. How many days do you guys usually stay for these sorts of trips? Do you treat it as a regular Disney vacation or just stay for the race time only? I was thinking of going Wednesday - Tuesday myself but I am just curious.

I have another question for you guys. How many days do you guys usually stay for these sorts of trips? Do you treat it as a regular Disney vacation or just stay for the race time only? I was thinking of going Wednesday - Tuesday myself but I am just curious.
Depends on the race. For some race weekends, we only do Thursday to Sunday, leaving after we clean up from the half marathon and grab lunch.

For Disneyland - we stay a week.

For Wine and Dine, we combine it with food and wine time so we stay a bit longer. We are driving distance and tend to go a lot.

Updated as my cell phone messes up formatting

Last edited:
I tend to go mainly for race but make a vacation out of it. Like Fly out Tues eve/wed morning come home mon or tues after race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter