2020 Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

My favorite local meteorologist was going off on people in a Facebook live video because they kept whining about how forecasts are never correct. It's such a difficult science to predict and then you have people's safety on the line. It's crazy how they nailed this one. Days before Laura entered the Gulf I saw someone say it would reach cat 4 and everyone thought they were crazy. Well she did it.

The destruction in Lake Charles is devastating. No electricity for weeks. No running water. Ugh. It's worse than Rita.
Do your parents know how their house is? That was the worst after Katrina - my sister & BiL didn’t know for a week what condition their house was in.

Do your parents know how their house is? That was the worst after Katrina - my sister & BiL didn’t know for a week what condition their house was in.

It's my in-laws and yes they went out there yesterday. Roof and chimney damage and all of their trees were just shredded. It's going to take professionals to clean it up.

It could have been so much worse and I think they are starting to realize that. It's such a pain to deal with, but it's better than losing everything or having a flooded house.

Thank you for asking! :)

They’re surprised they did their job correctly?

No, but we know what our typical margin of error is. 1 km is more than well within the margin of error at 3.5 days. Geez... Nail it and you get snark; miss it and you get snark. Cannot win.

No, but we know what our typical margin of error is. 1 km is more than well within the margin of error at 3.5 days. Geez... Nail it and you get snark; miss it and you get snark. Cannot win.
Don’t worry, those of us accustomed to tracking hurricanes know that forecasting the date/time/location of landfall as closely as this, 3.5 days out, is an amazing feat. Hurricanes are as difficult to predict as babies‘ births are! I just hope this accuracy continues, so people can be warned in time AND will take those warnings seriously enough to take necessary precautions.

I guess I take these kind of things more personal because I orginally went to college majoring in Meteorology and growing up, I wanted to work at the NHC one day.

Buttt, Physics and Calculus II got in the way, so I had to switch.

Do you live in an area that frequently has hurricane threats? They won't get snark from me for getting it right. I'm thankful that we finally had an accurate forecast that saved us time & money to prepare for yet another hurricane that was inaccurately forecast. I sincerely hope they can be more accurate in the future.

Keeping a close eye on invest 95. Just off the African coast. Has a 90% chance of developing. And pending all the ridges and all that could easily threaten the states.

Keeping a watch because if I had to guess it would be about 11-13 days from landfall. My friends are coming down (4th attempt) and we're staying at akl and riveria for the week... Starting 11 days from now

Keeping a close eye on invest 95. Just off the African coast. Has a 90% chance of developing. And pending all the ridges and all that could easily threaten the states.

Keeping a watch because if I had to guess it would be about 11-13 days from landfall. My friends are coming down (4th attempt) and we're staying at akl and riveria for the week... Starting 11 days from now
I’m watching too, as always. Hope your trip goes forward as planned!

I am so worried about this! I have a surprise birthday trip planned for my 10 year old DD and we arrive Sept 30 for three days. I really am praying for gorgeous fall weather because I want to keep these ressies so she can wake up at WDW on her birthday! Stay away storms!!

Hurricane Paulette expected to cross directly over Bermuda on Monday.

Newly named TS Sally is to attain hurricane status before making landfall... similar cone as Laura for now. Updated info at 5pm for both.

Several other areas to watch.. too far out right now to predict accurately. Mother Nature is one busy lady in the Atlantic these days.

The current center of Sally's cone now takes a very Katrina-esque track. Prayers for NOLA and for everyone else that Sally affects, that she doesn't spin up into a major hurricane like Laura did! My Katrina-victim sister just left this morning for a week at Orange Beach, AL, and I'm afraid she and her friends will have to come home early. I don't want them to test out their post-Katrina repairs and additions (generators, etc.)!

Hurricane Paulette expected to cross directly over Bermuda on Monday.

Newly named TS Sally is to attain hurricane status before making landfall... similar cone as Laura for now. Updated info at 5pm for both.

Several other areas to watch.. too far out right now to predict accurately. Mother Nature is one busy lady in the Atlantic these days.

The Sally cone is on the other side of the state, closer to my area.

TS Sally was supposed to have ~30% chance of gaining TS status a few days ago. Now, it appears it can reach a cat 2 hurricane. Like I said previously, I take the forecast(s) and bump by 2 levels.

Stay safe everyone in TS Sally's path.

The Sally cone is on the other side of the state, closer to my area.

I just saw the updated path. I'm orig from So Louisiana, then lived in Baton Rouge, now out of state, but I still watch the hurricane updates/news. Hope you and yours will be safe with this one, and it doesn't get stronger.

TS Sally was supposed to have ~30% chance of gaining TS status a few days ago. Now, it appears it can reach a cat 2 hurricane. Like I said previously, I take the forecast(s) and bump by 2 levels.

Stay safe everyone in TS Sally's path.

that's kinda what we used to do....always prepared for it to strengthen before landfall. Hope everyone can stay safe, and this one will not grow much more

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter