2024 Itineraries/dates & new land trips are on the ABD Website

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
As the title says, the 2024 Itineraries/dates & new land trips are on the ABD Website.

It looks like the new destinations are Morocco, Colombia and Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island.

They go on sale starting May 9th.

ETA: here's the booking dates:

Booking will begin on the following dates:
May 9, 2023: Previous Adventures by Disney Guests who have traveled on 3 or more Adventures
May 10, 2023: All Previous Adventures by Disney Guests
May 11, 2023: Disney Vacation Club Members, Disney Cruise Line Castaway Club Members and Golden Oak Members
May 12, 2023: General Public

Sayhello

As the title says, the 2024 Itineraries/dates & new land trips are on the ABD Website.

It looks like the new destinations are Morocco, Colombia and Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island.

They go on sale starting May 9th.

ETA: here's the booking dates:

Booking will begin on the following dates:
May 9, 2023: Previous Adventures by Disney Guests who have traveled on 3 or more Adventures
May 10, 2023: All Previous Adventures by Disney Guests
May 11, 2023: Disney Vacation Club Members, Disney Cruise Line Castaway Club Members and Golden Oak Members
May 12, 2023: General Public

Sayhello
Morocco looks pretty awesome but I’ll be honest, I’m relieved we’d already decided to forgo at 2024 ABD this year in favor of the DCL British Isles cruise. None of the new itineraries are giving me major FOMO.

First time enquiring about ABD but interested in doing a new (this year) tour of New England, and possibly alone. I have requested someone contact me, but a big question is, does anyone know how much more is added on as a single supplement. I'm sure it depends on the cost of the trip, and in this case, it starts around $5100.
TIA.

I’m confused about how some of the newly releases 2024/2025 itineraries can already be showing “now accepting waitlist” when bookings haven’t opened yet.

I’m confused about how some of the newly releases 2024/2025 itineraries can already be showing “now accepting waitlist” when bookings haven’t opened yet.
ABD lets Travel Agents reserve an entire departure for a group they put together. If the TA doesn't get a minimum number of people to sign up (at one point, I know it was 14) then they open it up to the general public. So folks who waitlisted it get first dibs.

First time enquiring about ABD but interested in doing a new (this year) tour of New England, and possibly alone. I have requested someone contact me, but a big question is, does anyone know how much more is added on as a single supplement. I'm sure it depends on the cost of the trip, and in this case, it starts around $5100.
TIA.
In my experience (since 2008) the single supplement for ABD has always been an extra 40% on top of the per person price. So $5100 x 40% = $2040, for a total of $7,140.

I've done the New England ABD (as a solo), so let me know if you have any questions about it!

Morocco looks pretty awesome but I’ll be honest, I’m relieved we’d already decided to forgo at 2024 ABD this year in favor of the DCL British Isles cruise. None of the new itineraries are giving me major FOMO.
I haven't looked at any of the itineraries yet, but I'm really interested in Nova Scotia!

Sayhello

ABD lets Travel Agents reserve an entire departure for a group they put together. If the TA doesn't get a minimum number of people to sign up (at one point, I know it was 14) then they open it up to the general public. So folks who waitlisted it get first dibs.

This makes sense, but still seems weird that like half of the South Africa tours are showing this way. Seems like they should put a cap on how many trips per itinerary are available for that sort of thing.

In my experience (since 2008) the single supplement for ABD has always been an extra 40% on top of the per person price. So $5100 x 40% = $2040, for a total of $7,140.

I've done the New England ABD (as a solo), so let me know if you have any questions about it!

I haven't looked at any of the itineraries yet, but I'm really interested in Nova Scotia!

Sayhello
Thank you, Sayhello. I hate hearing that! Unfortunately, that single supplement kind of carries it over the top for me. I really was looking forward to that New England tour.

Thank you, Sayhello. I hate hearing that! Unfortunately, that single supplement kind of carries it over the top for me. I really was looking forward to that New England tour.
I know, it can be a big bummer, and keeps me from doing a lot of the more expensive trips. Although I did some research a few years ago, and it was on the low end for some of these companies. Don't know if that's still true.

Just thought I'd mention, though, that it looks like they've discontinued the New England trip (no dates for 2024) so if you really want to do it, this year is your last chance. Doesn't make it any more affordable, just thought I'd mention it.

Sayhello

This makes sense, but still seems weird that like half of the South Africa tours are showing this way. Seems like they should put a cap on how many trips per itinerary are available for that sort of thing.
I totally agree! I’m interested in one of the 2024 Wyoming trips and *SIX!!* of the nine newly released June/July departure dates say, “now accepting waitlist”. That seems ridiculous.

I know, it can be a big bummer, and keeps me from doing a lot of the more expensive trips. Although I did some research a few years ago, and it was on the low end for some of these companies. Don't know if that's still true.

Just thought I'd mention, though, that it looks like they've discontinued the New England trip (no dates for 2024) so if you really want to do it, this year is your last chance. Doesn't make it any more affordable, just thought I'd mention it.

Sayhello
Thank you for letting me know that. If I get lucky, I can get my sister to join me, but as of now, it's just me. And I imagine these trips book up quickly.

So they have re-done the New Zealand itinerary a bit. Comparing 2022/23 to 2024/25 (I'm comparing the Adults Only itinerary, not sure how much difference there is to the standard departures):

Day 2, the Fish Market tour has been replaced with a "Private Tour of Wynyard Quarter Neighborhood". Otherwise the same.

Day 3, the trip to Waiheke Island for the zipline/winery lunch/visit to Oneroa is gone altogether (no surprise!) and you leave for Rotorua (basically Day 4 of the old itinerary). Evening and dinner is OYO instead of at the Marae (which remains as evening for Day 4 on the new itinerary).

Day 4 is basically Day 5 of the old itinerary (the Kiwi bird hatchery, Agrodome, Rotorua zip-line) with the addition of the Marae experience and dinner.

Day 5 is Day 6 of the old itinerary, with Te Puia back. However the punting on the Avon is moved to Day 6, and Day 5 has a City Tour of Christchurch.

Day 6 is new, with additional time in Christchurch (I like this). There's a sightseeing tour of Christchurch in the morning (sites will depend on the weather), the Punting on the Avon, lunch at the Curator's House that we saw while punting, then evening and dinner OYO. I'm a little sad that the punting is moved from after the flight to Christchurch -- it was a wonderful way to relax after the flight -- but at least it's not gone.

Day 7 is back to matching up. Christchurch, Greymouth & Franz Josef. It looks like there is only Lunch at Monteith's Brewery, and the tour is gone (which is fine by me. A tour where they say "this is how it would work if we were still brewing here" was kind of silly). The rest looks the same.

Day 8 in Franz Josef looks the same.

Day 9 is mostly the same, except instead of the stop at the Makarora Country Cafe for lunch, you have lunch OYO during the OYO time in Wanaka.

Day 10 the Dart Valley horse back riding is gone. You instead have an OYO morning in Queenstown. Lunch is still at the Glenorchy Hotel Pub & Restaurant, and then the afternoon has the Dart River Jet Boat or a seemingly different 4-wheel drive experience as an alternate to the jet boat. Includes panning for gold. Dinner & evening still OYO in Queenstown.

Days 11 and 12 appear unchanged (Arrowtown, e-bike ride or more time in Arrowtown including the museum, Gibbston winery & wine cave tour, TSS Earnslaw to Walter Peak Farm for Dog herding demo & Farewell dinner.) Then home on Day 12.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I totally agree! I’m interested in one of the 2024 Wyoming trips and *SIX!!* of the nine newly released June/July departure dates say, “now accepting waitlist”. That seems ridiculous.
Agreed - ridiculous and very counter-intuitive. The big announcement of dates for 2024, and here are the dates/times you can call to book...... but half are already waitlisted before any one of the categories of customers listed can even call. Not a good look. And maybe it's not a big deal, but it's going to draw a lot of people, potentially, to a particular date/time that IS listed as available, instead of diluting reservations when people want to go over multiple trips around that same time of year (if that makes sense).

I can’t help but wonder if one reason there are so many trips showing as “Waitlisted” before bookings even open is to minimize potential cancellations. Is there the same level of demand for AbD travel right now? Look at how many discounts they are offering for summer 2023 departures, likely trying to get more people.

A few trips were cancelled this season, where there were overlapping departures dates. So, why not put some dates as placeholders to both gauge interest and funnel people other departure dates. If the available trips fill up or there’s a big interest in waitlisting a particular date, then open up other dates at some future point.

While maybe not the best travel experience for guests, fewer departures of more people makes sense from a business perspective.

I can’t help but wonder if one reason there are so many trips showing as “Waitlisted” before bookings even open is to minimize potential cancellations. Is there the same level of demand for AbD travel right now? Look at how many discounts they are offering for summer 2023 departures, likely trying to get more people.

A few trips were cancelled this season, where there were overlapping departures dates. So, why not put some dates as placeholders to both gauge interest and funnel people other departure dates. If the available trips fill up or there’s a big interest in waitlisting a particular date, then open up other dates at some future point.

While maybe not the best travel experience for guests, fewer departures of more people makes sense from a business perspective.
That makes a great deal of sense. Interesting!

Sayhello

Nova Scotia caught my eye also, will need to check it out.
Nova Scotia is actually the first "adventure" trip I ever took, with Backroads back in 1996. I loved it! But it was only 5 days and a camping trip, and did not include PEI or New Brunswick. I really am loving the idea of going back 27 years later!

Sayhello

So they have re-done the New Zealand itinerary a bit. Comparing 2022/23 to 2024/25 (I'm comparing the Adults Only itinerary, not sure how much difference there is to the standard departures):

Day 2, the Fish Market tour has been replaced with a "Private Tour of Wynyard Quarter Neighborhood". Otherwise the same.

Day 3, the trip to Waiheke Island for the zipline/winery lunch/visit to Oneroa is gone altogether (no surprise!) and you leave for Rotorua (basically Day 4 of the old itinerary). Evening and dinner is OYO instead of at the Marae (which remains as evening for Day 4 on the new itinerary).

Day 4 is basically Day 5 of the old itinerary (the Kiwi bird hatchery, Agrodome, Rotorua zip-line) with the addition of the Marae experience and dinner.

Day 5 is Day 6 of the old itinerary, with Te Puia back. However the punting on the Avon is moved to Day 6, and Day 5 has a City Tour of Christchurch.

Day 6 is new, with additional time in Christchurch (I like this). There's a sightseeing tour of Christchurch in the morning (sites will depend on the weather), the Punting on the Avon, lunch at the Curator's House that we saw while punting, then evening and dinner OYO. I'm a little sad that the punting is moved from after the flight to Christchurch -- it was a wonderful way to relax after the flight -- but at least it's not gone.

Day 7 is back to matching up. Christchurch, Greymouth & Franz Josef. It looks like there is only Lunch at Monteith's Brewery, and the tour is gone (which is fine by me. A tour where they say "this is how it would work if we were still brewing here" was kind of silly). The rest looks the same.

Day 8 in Franz Josef looks the same.

Day 9 is mostly the same, except instead of the stop at the Makarora Country Cafe for lunch, you have lunch OYO during the OYO time in Wanaka.

Day 10 the Dart Valley horse back riding is gone. You instead have an OYO morning in Queenstown. Lunch is still at the Glenorchy Hotel Pub & Restaurant, and then the afternoon has the Dart River Jet Boat or a seemingly different 4-wheel drive experience as an alternate to the jet boat. Includes panning for gold. Dinner & evening still OYO in Queenstown.

Days 11 and 12 appear unchanged (Arrowtown, e-bike ride or more time in Arrowtown including the museum, Gibbston winery & wine cave tour, TSS Earnslaw to Walter Peak Farm for Dog herding demo & Farewell dinner.) Then home on Day 12.

Sayhello
May I ask what you think overall of the retooling..? It sounds like you think most of the changes (if not all except for timing of punting) are positive, having done it?

Morocco was a good choice, as it is definitely a place Americans would be interested to go, but may be hesitant to go alone. Having read the way they treat animals there, and seeing the line of camels featured so prominently I'm not sure this one will be for us, but I think they chose a good one. Next I hope they do India... without supporting animal... I hesitate to say abuse, but questionable practices. I hope they choose a very good operator that spoils their animals if that is indeed included on the tour.

May I ask what you think overall of the retooling..? It sounds like you think most of the changes (if not all except for timing of punting) are positive, having done it?
I think overall that the changes look good. Nothing that I think spoils the trip. The day on Waiheke was really not the best choice of a day, and needed to be redone or replaced with *something*. I was kind of sorry that we didn't spend more time in Christchurch, as it looked like a cool city, even if much of it is still under construction from the earthquakes. So that sounds like a good choice to me.

I didn't do the horseback riding, so I can't speak to the loss of that activity. The jeep tour we did as the alternate to that was OK, but only if you were in a couple of really good seats on the jeep. Most of the (gorgeous) scenery was high above us, and the jeep having the top on meant only the folks in front got an actually good view, and the folks in the middle had no view at all. The stops were lovely, but the ride itself, not so good. So maybe this new jeep ride will be better. There was no alternative to the jet boat, which was fabulous, but it sounds like other people also got nauseous on it (even *with* the patch on!) and wanted an alternative activity.

I'm really glad they didn't just chuck out the Waiheke day and make the trip one day shorter, as they often do. The fact that they replaced the day with something else is a good thing.

So yes, overall, I'd say good changes.

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter