2024 Itineraries/dates & new land trips are on the ABD Website

I just called regarding so many waitlists. They said it is just they haven't finalized all of the details for the other dates yet. They said the majority of them will open up to the public. Only a few are being held by travel agents etc. It just sounds like they are getting them organized in batches.
So we attempted to book one of the “waitlist” trips and were told that it was not because the trip was full, but because they were waiting to see if there would be enough interest. 🤷‍♂️

So we attempted to book one of the “waitlist” trips and were told that it was not because the trip was full, but because they were waiting to see if there would be enough interest. 🤷‍♂️
So how does that work? You just put yourself on the Waitlist while the other departures fill up and get more expensive and maybe totally fill up, and if there isn't enough interest in the date you want you are just out of luck?

Sayhello

So how does that work? You just put yourself on the Waitlist while the other departures fill up and get more expensive and maybe totally fill up, and if there isn't enough interest in the date you want you are just out of luck?

Sayhello
I think that’s basically correct. There was only one date that worked for us (the other one that would have worked was there on the initial release but disappeared completely the next day). So we wouldn’t be able to go anyway if this one doesn’t go, but the process is still kind of disappointing.

Is it possible they meant interest from a private group that is holding it..? I've heard if they don't meet their minimums in a certain timeframe then they open it up to the public.

Is it possible they meant interest from a private group that is holding it..? I've heard if they don't meet their minimums in a certain timeframe then they open it up to the public.
That is true. I know the minimum at one point was 14 people (I was thinking of going with a private group - which I didn't - but the threshold was 14). I was also signed up to do a DIS only trip many years ago, and they didn't get enough people, and it was opened up to the general public.

Sayhello

Here’s the quote from my TA, who contacted ABD (and is very experienced in working with them): “They told me that it is listed that way since it is not a guaranteed departure date. If not enough guests are interested in that date, they could cancel it.”

I hope you'll share your research findings. We just signed up for this trip and while we're still in our very short refundable window, I'd love to hear what you decide to do. Thanks!
Hi, I just thought I'd update you.

I found a few other companies that offered Nova Scotia trips. Backroads still offers one, but it's the same itinerary I did in 1996. It's a great itinerary, but I'd rather not repeat myself that much. And it only does Nova Scotia, not New Brunswick and PEI, and is only 6 days. Classic Journeys has a trip, also, and it's very similar to the Backroads trip. Tauck has 2 itineraries. The first one is similar to the Backroads and Classic Journeys trips, but does add in PEI. But no New Brunswick. If you haven't been to Nova Scotia, it's a good itinerary (if you don't mind missing New Brunswick). The second trip is very similar to the ABD, including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. It's 11 days, and also includes a couple of days in the Nova Scotia Highlands. Unfortunately, the hotel they use there gets very bad reviews (including from a Tauck trip review where a Tauck representative replied to the review and said it was the best available and "rustic", but the reviews on other sites makes it sound neglected and dirty). I haven't 100% made up my mind yet, but I think that last hotel may be the deal breaker, plus I like a couple of the activities ABD does better than the ones listed by Tauck (the Millbrook Cultural Center, which the Tauck trip mentions in it's overview, but does not appear in any version of the actual itinerary) and the Tall Ship sailing. Plus, I admit, their Anne of Green Gables activities on PEI sound much better than Tauck's. Tauck goes to the "Green Gables Heritage Place" which is a self-guided walk around, whereas ABD goes to the "Village of Avonlea" area that you can walk around, plus the "Anne of Green Gables Museum" which is in the house Lucy Maud Montgomery's Aunt & Uncle owned, where she spent most of her summers, and it sounds more like an interpretive type of interactive place like a lot of Historical societies. Yes, I'm an Anne of Green Gables Geek, and proud of it; it's the main reason I want to go to PEI.

I'm still contemplating, because Tauck's policies are INFINITELY better than ABD's back office's policies, and it's tempting to book with Tauck just because of that. My jaw dropped talking to the Tauck representative about how they handle cancellations and things like that. ABD's trips and Guides are amazing, but dealing with the corporate side in order to take their trips can be torture. But I'm trying to let the itinerary drive the decision. I'll let you know what I decide; I think I have to decide today or tomorrow (I have an email in to my Travel Agent).

Sayhello

Hi, I just thought I'd update you.

I found a few other companies that offered Nova Scotia trips. Backroads still offers one, but it's the same itinerary I did in 1996. It's a great itinerary, but I'd rather not repeat myself that much. And it only does Nova Scotia, not New Brunswick and PEI, and is only 6 days. Classic Journeys has a trip, also, and it's very similar to the Backroads trip. Tauck has 2 itineraries. The first one is similar to the Backroads and Classic Journeys trips, but does add in PEI. But no New Brunswick. If you haven't been to Nova Scotia, it's a good itinerary (if you don't mind missing New Brunswick). The second trip is very similar to the ABD, including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. It's 11 days, and also includes a couple of days in the Nova Scotia Highlands. Unfortunately, the hotel they use there gets very bad reviews (including from a Tauck trip review where a Tauck representative replied to the review and said it was the best available and "rustic", but the reviews on other sites makes it sound neglected and dirty). I haven't 100% made up my mind yet, but I think that last hotel may be the deal breaker, plus I like a couple of the activities ABD does better than the ones listed by Tauck (the Millbrook Cultural Center, which the Tauck trip mentions in it's overview, but does not appear in any version of the actual itinerary) and the Tall Ship sailing. Plus, I admit, their Anne of Green Gables activities on PEI sound much better than Tauck's. Tauck goes to the "Green Gables Heritage Place" which is a self-guided walk around, whereas ABD goes to the "Village of Avonlea" area that you can walk around, plus the "Anne of Green Gables Museum" which is in the house Lucy Maud Montgomery's Aunt & Uncle owned, where she spent most of her summers, and it sounds more like an interpretive type of interactive place like a lot of Historical societies. Yes, I'm an Anne of Green Gables Geek, and proud of it; it's the main reason I want to go to PEI.

I'm still contemplating, because Tauck's policies are INFINITELY better than ABD's back office's policies, and it's tempting to book with Tauck just because of that. My jaw dropped talking to the Tauck representative about how they handle cancellations and things like that. ABD's trips and Guides are amazing, but dealing with the corporate side in order to take their trips can be torture. But I'm trying to let the itinerary drive the decision. I'll let you know what I decide; I think I have to decide today or tomorrow (I have an email in to my Travel Agent).

Sayhello
Thanks for sharing all that. We also did some research on the other trips and felt that the ABD itinerary was best for us. But I agree, the ABD policies leave a lot to be desired. It truly dampens the excitement of having a trip on the calendar when you don't actually know that the trip is going to take place. The early booking discount on this trip was gone pretty quickly, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Thanks for sharing all that. We also did some research on the other trips and felt that the ABD itinerary was best for us. But I agree, the ABD policies leave a lot to be desired. It truly dampens the excitement of having a trip on the calendar when you don't actually know that the trip is going to take place. The early booking discount on this trip was gone pretty quickly, so hopefully that's a good sign.
While I wish that were true, there's usually only 3 or 4 Early Booking Discounts per departure. And the actual price of the trips has not gone up at all. Usually they start creeping up pretty quickly as people book.

Sayhello

While I wish that were true, there's usually only 3 or 4 Early Booking Discounts per departure. And the actual price of the trips has not gone up at all. Usually they start creeping up pretty quickly as people book.

Sayhello
I didn't realize that. I've never paid close attention to prices, esp once I've booked. Guess I got very lucky!! It's unfortunate that the early discount isn't offered to everyone who books in that first week.

I didn't realize that. I've never paid close attention to prices, esp once I've booked. Guess I got very lucky!! It's unfortunate that the early discount isn't offered to everyone who books in that first week.
I totally agree. ABD offering so few discounts can be very frustrating! I've booked opening day and not gotten the discount.

However, I did just call ABD, and there are 23 people signed up for the August departure. So as long as they don't cancel, we should be good.

I have to admit, I may need to call back and apologize to the Vacationista, as I was pretty frustrated by the lack of information she had about the trip (basically nothing that wasn't on the website) and her lack of willingness (or ability?) to find out more from someone who does know. Vacationistas used to have way more ability to say "I don't know, but I will find out for you". I tried to express that to her, and that I understand if ABD's policies have changed, but all she did was repeat back what was on the website. VERY frustrating! And it seemed she was frustrated that I didn't just say "OK" and move on...

Sayhello

Last edited:
I totally agree. ABD offering so few discounts can be very frustrating! I've booked opening day and not gotten the discount.

However, I did just call ABD, and there are 23 people signed up for the August departure. So as long as they don't cancel, we should be good.

I have to admit, I may need to call back and apologize to the Vacationista, as I was pretty frustrated by the lack of information she had about the trip (basically nothing that wasn't on the website) and her lack of willingness (or ability?) to find out more from someone who does know. Vacationistas used to have way more ability to say "I don't know, but I will find out for you". I tried to express that to her, and that I understand if ABD's policies have changed, but all she did was repeat back what was on the website. VERY frustrating! And it seemed she was frustrated that I didn't just say "OK" and move on...

Sayhello
My TA has been saying the same lately re: vacationistas doing the bare minimum or some being downright unhelpful. However, she has found one she really likes working with. I’ve called her to ask questions as well. She has gone above & beyond to help. Her name is Ciera and she’s at extension 124. 😊

My TA has been saying the same lately re: vacationistas doing the bare minimum or some being downright unhelpful. However, she has found one she really likes working with. I’ve called her to ask questions as well. She has gone above & beyond to help. Her name is Ciera and she’s at extension 124. 😊
Thank you! I appreciate that information. :)

Sayhello

Have you taken trips with Nat Geo before? I read some bad reviews that made me turn away from looking into their trip options further. Have you had good experiences? How does it compare to ABD?
I haven't but it'a a small piece of a longer trip - obv I already mentioned the Egypt ABD, but we're also doing a school-organized Switzerland and Italy tour through another company before Egypt. We're comfortable traveling to Europe/Central Am/South Am/Oceania on our own (we'll do tours if there are experiences I just can't organize on my own, or if I don't feel like personally going through all the hassle). I'm not comfortable traveling to the Middle East on our own.

Because of the 3 different tours/tour companies, and needing to travel in summer, we're somewhat limited on tour options for Jordan. For instance, a lot of the companies I checked don't run ME tours in summer (dates skip from about May to September). The NG tour fits perfectly, and allows us about 3 days between each tour. And really, if we get to swim in the Dead Sea and see Petra, we'll be happy.

So... I checked on two browsers because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a browser issue, but I just checked a handful of itineraries (Japan, New Zealand, Germany) and no prices are showing for 2024/2025 dates? Is anyone else seeing this? What's going on there?

So... I checked on two browsers because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a browser issue, but I just checked a handful of itineraries (Japan, New Zealand, Germany) and no prices are showing for 2024/2025 dates? Is anyone else seeing this? What's going on there?
I just checked those 3 trips, and I see 2024/2025 dates for all of them. Maybe it was some sort of short term glitch?

Sayhello

I just checked those 3 trips, and I see 2024/2025 dates for all of them. Maybe it was some sort of short term glitch?

Sayhello
The dates were on there, it just wasn't showing prices for those dates when I looked. It is showing them now though, so it must have been a short-term issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter