• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

5/12-5/26, 2007- LIVE from the first MED repo cruise! Now adding PICS! :)

Michelle,

What a great trip report, you ROCK!!!!!

I Just finished reading this thread, whilst drinking coffee in a nice new blue mug.

It was so great to meet you all and hope we will sail again, or see ya at WDW or DL or if ya ever pass through WY give us a call.

Oh I forgot, I got to use my notebook from desperate shipmates last week LOL

For me, this was one awesome trip - seeing lots of places I would never have thought possible to visit and meeting so many nice DISers. I had a blast and would do this trip again in a heartbeat - even the rocking and rolling of the Atlantic didn't bother me like I thought it would. I'm actually thinking about trying to get onboard for the crossing back trip but I'm always known as a dreamer!

Michelle,

What a great trip report, you ROCK!!!!!
Yes Michelle, you've done a so much better job than I could do.
But I will try to add a little.

I am sorry that it has taken so long to finish up my little bits, but it has been a busy week trying to catch up and I have been fighting a cold. (thanks Linda)

Embarkation Day....
After a smooth flight down from Indy to MCO, we were met at the airport by Cheryl and Bob (Webray). They were so kind as to give us a ride to the ship, with a short stop for supplies :) Thanks again Cheryl and Bob!
Cheking in was smooth and we even got a good rate on an upgrade to a verandah. Figured why not.
We had two Dis-Meets onboard on Embarkation day. The first was a greet and meet for all of us that did not know each other. The second was the actual sailaway party. All the members of the Grass Skirt Fraternity were supposed to wear their grass skirts, but some of us (ME) did not have luggage delivered in time for the sail away. But still, we all had a great time.
The show for the evening was the “All Aboard-Let the Magic Begin”. This show gives the cruisers a chance to sample the entertainment for the week and to meet Captain Thom and his crew. It was hosted by the cruise director Rachel. She was the cd for the westbound Panama Canal cruise. She does a great job.
Our first dinner of the cruise was in Animator’s Pallette. Our dinner companions for this cruise are Lynn and Scott (ScottH) and Debbie(EpcotKilterFan) and her mom, Jeanette. Our sever is Kumar from India and his assistant is Ana from Peru. Very efficient.

Castaway Cay
I was up early to watch the ship back into dock. I supposed it was backed in to get a running start leaving for the Med. It is always a treat to watch the ship pull into Castaway as this is one of my favorite places in the world to visit.
I was out on the island first thing to walk to the airstrip and take a few pictures along the way. It was such a beautiful day. The light was so good first thing in the morning and the crowds were small. Great for picture taking. I also wanted to be there early for my picture with Captain Jack. He is only there for a short time and I missed out on our last cruise. :(.
CaptainJack2.jpg

I also had to mail a few postcards from CC. Since the post office was closed, they had to be mailed from the ship. Supposedly, they were to have a Bahamian postmark.
After a little shopping, we spent the day at Serenity Bay. The adult beach is always great and the bar is even better. We took a short break for lunch. Missed out on the steak sandwiches, but the salmon burgers were good also. Kumar, our server from the ship, was serving there and was so nice to bring refills on chips and drinks.
We could not leave without having a Konk Kooler. A favorite of mine. When the bartender found out my birthday was just 2 days before, he bought us another.
After the sailaway from Castaway Cay, we decided to head up on deck 9 for the Jimmy Buffet tribute night at the Quiet Cove area. What a blast!
A bunch of our fellow Disers were there and DJ Mike was taking Buffett requests and playing them from his Mp3 over the sound system. We got to do Margaritaville and Fins twice along with Pirate Looks at 40 and (cover you ears kiddies) even Why Don’t We Get Drunk (wow! on a Disney ship!).
BuffettTribute.jpg

What was really KEWL was that there were folks up on Deck 10 looking down and doing FINS also.
The Island Dinner was at Parrot Cay. Was quite tasty. What a way to end a wonderful day.

First Day at Sea...FORMAL NIGHT
The first of the six consecutive days at sea. People are starting to complain about the sea and the weather. Guess they thought it would be fairly smooth like the carribean. As we found out later from those who had done trans-atlantics berfore, the weather and the seas were quite good for the trip.
We attended the Castaway Clubhouse celebration. Lee won an exclusive Castaway Club desk clock. Very KEWL.
Later we went to the DVC meet. We originally were scheduled into Diversions, but with so many DVC members, the meet was moved into Rocking Bar D. Here we sat with a bunch of our group of Disers. Scott won a towel. I think the reason being was that Scott owns a gazillion points.
That evening, I finally try out the in-cabin wiresless internet. It is pricey, but the convenience is just marvelous. Since we have an outside cabin, the laptop doesn’t connect as well on the desk. It does, however, work great lying in bed
We skip the Golden Mickeys. We have seen this show before. It is O.K.
Dinner was at Lumiére’s and it is Formal Night. Everyone is dressed so fine. Formal Night in Lumiére’s is my second favorite dinner after Tropical Night in Parrot Cay.

Second Day at Sea
We had High Tea at Palo. I am not much for tea, but I do enjoy the scones, triffles and the other goodies. When we show up for the tea, they say they cannot find out reservation, but seat us any way. Something is up. We later find out that DCL has lost all of our reservations except the group brunch at Palo. I checked the reservations the Thursday before we left and they were still there. Must have been dumped when we upgraded into the veranda room. Guest Services get everything reserved for us except the Vista Spa Villa. The day is changed for this from Thursday until Monday. That is actually a good thing. Better weather.
Mike Super was the show in the Walt Disney Theatre. He is a very good magician/illusionist.
This evening we are in Animator’s for the show dinner. This is where the black and white pictures on the wall actually become colorful by the end of the evening. The staff’s outfits also change from black and white to one of may colors.

Third Day at Sea
Character Breaksfast in Parrot Cay with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Lilo, Stich and Chip and Dale. This is one the aprons the servers wear at the breaksfast.
Character.jpg

Tsk. Tsk. Some people never grow up.
Stitch.jpg

Fourth Day at Sea
Jammie Breakfast. This always gets a lot of strange looks. It is a fun time and the group photo is such a great thing. I have breakfast with Gene and Cheryl (NewGeneB), Lynn and Scott and Alex, Karen and McKenzie (Rufustee). Very enjoyable breakfast.

Fifth Day at Sea....PIRATE NIGHT
This was also the day of the Dis-brunch at Palo. Always fun. Always good food.
The group consisted of Linda and Robert, Andy and Char, Gydel and her daugheter, Ken and Shari, Debbie and Jeanette and Scott and Lynn.
Before dinner, all of the Disers converged in front of Lumiére’s for the group pirate picture. Seemed like there were more pirates thatwere jammies. Captain Hook was the celebrity joining us for the picture. Kinda hoped for Mickey or Stich.
On our way to dinner we stopped by the Promenade Lounge for a Mojito. Hey it has rum in it, so it is kinda a pirate drink. At dinner I had a (boring) rum and coke, but it still had rum.
Dinner was at Parrot Cay. Most of the diners were dressed in the spirit of the night. Of course the dining staff were also. I had the beef tenderloin this time along with the chocolate layer cake. It was great.

Sixth Day at Sea...Seas are still a bit bouncy. Captain says the things will be much better as we approach Tenerife tomorrow. The temperature is fine, it is just the NE wind and the waves. Not much going on today. Slept in. Rested up for our first eastern hemisphere excursion.
We had our PALO dinner this evening. Always a great experience. Gotta love that chocolate soufflé.
Will be great to get back onto dry land.

OK, here is Cadiz
Great day. It did not really start that way. It was cold and misty as we entered port. We sat in the middle of the harbor for a while. Guess it was while the harbor master decided which side of the harbor we needed to park.
We had an early excursion into Cadiz and Jerez. Cadiz portion of the trip was quite interesting. It’s history goes way back to B.C. The area was first settled by the Phoenicians. Later the Muslims, Romans, Greeks and others.
At Jerez we toured the town and then went to the Tio Pepe distillery. The distillery has quite a history of itself.
Cadiz1.jpg

Casks at the winery....
Cadiz2.jpg

Tasting area......
Cadiz3.jpg

Our tasting table. All to ourselves!
Cadiz4.jpg

After the morning tours, we returned to the ship for lunch. Seemed like almost everyone was out on an excursion as we had the outside portion of Topsiders nearly all to ourselves.
Next we returned back to town. After exiting the secure area, we ran into Kurt and Marlea (Euchre U) and their two little ones. They were so kind as to let us use the remainder of their bus-pass. We used the pass to get a slightly different view of the city than we had gotten during the morning trip.
Thanks!:worship:

Gibralter
The rock is quiet impressive. This is something I have wanted to see every since I first view it thru my Viewmaster as a 5 year old kid.
Gibraltar1.jpg

There are very many stories behind the Rock of Gibraltar including the strategic importance of the place to the Barbary Apes that inhabit it. More to read about when we get back.
THE EXCURSION. Well. I don’t know if we are getting spoiled or we expect more and more from DCL, but we thought that this excursion was not up to Disney standards. It was essentially a glorified and expensive bus ride to Marbella and Puerto Banus. There was no naration during the 45 minute ride north or the 30 minutes back. The person leading the tour was polite and answered any question, but that was about it.
The time away from the ship was enjoyable, even if it was just shopping and eating snacks in the various restaurants.
Marbella3.jpg

Having Tapas..........
Marbella1.jpg

Shopping in Marbella....
Marbella8.jpg

The Marina in Puerto Banus. NICE!
Marbella7.jpg

What was fun to me, was that during the excursion we actually crossed the airport runway at Gibraltar. Twice. There is a traffic signal that turns red if there is any oncoming air traffic. Wild.
Gibraltar4.jpg

(Notice the walking and biking lanes on the pavement)
That evening, Lee and I take in the new show on the Magic, Mickey Dreams. It is a Cirque-style presentation of what Mickey may be dreaming about. It is not bad, but it is somewhat loud as we have found several of the shows to be. It probably needs a little tweaking.
After the show, we did a little shopping in the deck four shops. We did find a couple of bargains and one overpriced ball cap for me. Hey, it had a DCL pirate logo on the front. Arrg!
We then moved on to the promenade deck to watch all the ship traffic through the straits. This is such an unusual sight considering we had seen so few ships at sea in the previous 10days.
An added treat....Dolphins. Lots of them jumping. Even babies. What a sight! And me without my camera.:sad2:

O.K., I think that is everything. If I think of something, I will post it.

All of these pictures, plus a few others can be found at PICS

I will probably add to these plus put together a slideshow.

Later.

Thanks for the report, Bob - I really enjoyed you pictures! I am very excited about seeing the Rock, but in order to see the spectacular side, I will have to haul myself out of bed before the crack of dawn and hope the sun is up by the time we approach it from the Mediterranean side, camera at the ready.

I "borrowed" your picture of Gibraltar for my computer wallpaper. I love this view! You can see the lighthouse and the mosque and buildings up at the top...too cool!

Thx very much for your outstanding pics!!!

FIREWORKS IN BARCELONA-MAY 24, 2007

Okay, never tried to download a video to here before, but here are the three clips I have of the fireworks. They aren't the best quality, but will give everyone an idea of the actual show:

Clip #1

seaulater

th_VID00017.jpg

Clip #2

seaulater

th_VID00019.jpg

Clip #3 Finale

seaulater

th_VID00021.jpg

Thanks. That was with our cheap $90 pocket video camera I bought at Costco. Here are some still pictures Robert took with our $800 Digital Rebel camera:

Picture3978.jpg

Picture3982.jpg

Picture4024.jpg

Picture4045.jpg

Picture4058.jpg

Picture4064.jpg

Robert's show alot more of the color. The fireworks were truly magical!

Thanks what a fun bunch of people....I'm INTERLINE I fly for CAL,anyone else out there from a Airline if so who!!! My husband and kids had so much fun on the cruise from Orlando/BCN they want to go the other way also.This was our 2nd DCL we did a 7 Day Western in Sept 06 now they are ready to keep going I think it will be a yearly Vacation.(YEA)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter