9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

Gismo, enjoy your holiday!! I, too, was disappointed that the horse show in Cadiz was not being offered through Disney so I decided to investigate another option. The horse shows are not presented on Mondays and Wednesdays which are the two days of the week that Disney stops in Cadiz in 2017 hence the tour is not available this year. I read that the town centre is only a short walk from the pier so we might just go on a photography walk in Cadiz as it is supposed to have amazing Moorish influenced architecture. Has anyone already done the HOHO tour in Cadiz? If I find anything really interesting, I will make sure to let everyone know!

We were also thinking of just doing a walk through Cadiz: visit a cathedral, find a bakery, visit a market, and have a nice lunch. Food + medieval architecture = Happy Aanna :-)

How much are people seeing for transfers from the airport to hotel? My travel agent suggested that going through the hotel would better assure me that the price they quoted would be all inclusive. I found the hotel on my own, so that was not my travel agent getting a kick back -- it was genuine advice.

But when I contacted the hotel, they are quoting me 220 Euros one way for 6 people + luggage. Ouch.

I recall looking at the services on the first page here, and I *thought I was looking at ~70 Euros, but my TA cautioned me to make *sure* luggage was included in that fee. Does anyone have actual prior experience with any of these companies? Six people plus luggage can end up being a lot of space... though we'll somehow have to fit all of that into a (very very stuffed) minivan for the trip from home to the airport, so...

HALP!

I went on the Viator website and they have a list of the companies that do airport to hotel transfers. Here is the link if you want to check out other options.

https://www.viator.com/Barcelona-to...e=1&activities=all&sortBy=REVIEW_AVG_RATING-D

There are only three of us but we have way too much luggage to manage the bus (darn those fish extenders). I think we will probably take a cab. Here is the link for getting a price quote for a taxi or two!!

https://www.welcomepickups.com/barc...Airport-Taxi&gclid=CMmduNmc39MCFZu3wAodC1sJEQ

I went on the Viator website and they have a list of the companies that do airport to hotel transfers. Here is the link if you want to check out other options.

https://www.viator.com/Barcelona-to...e=1&activities=all&sortBy=REVIEW_AVG_RATING-D

There are only three of us but we have way too much luggage to manage the bus (darn those fish extenders). I think we will probably take a cab. Here is the link for getting a price quote for a taxi or two!!

https://www.welcomepickups.com/barc...Airport-Taxi&gclid=CMmduNmc39MCFZu3wAodC1sJEQ
Thank you for the Viator link: more data points are very good things.

I think we'll leave the taxis as just a data point for airport to hotel. While I think they will be a great solution for the 5 minute transfer from hotel to port, the idea of somehow guiding my parents and children to the hotel in two different taxis at 9pm after a Very Long travel day makes me very uneasy. lol I am eager for a single vehicle, pre-arranged solution in this particular case. :) That way, even if something goes wrong or the driver can't find the hotel, at least we are all together.

I make such a point of this because my brain keeps telling me two taxis would probably be cheaper. :rolleyes2

Thank you for the Viator link: more data points are very good things.

I think we'll leave the taxis as just a data point for airport to hotel. While I think they will be a great solution for the 5 minute transfer from hotel to port, the idea of somehow guiding my parents and children to the hotel in two different taxis at 9pm after a Very Long travel day makes me very uneasy. lol I am eager for a single vehicle, pre-arranged solution in this particular case. :) That way, even if something goes wrong or the driver can't find the hotel, at least we are all together.

I make such a point of this because my brain keeps telling me two taxis would probably be cheaper. :rolleyes2
Piece of mind after a long, long day is PRICELESS!

Gismo, enjoy your holiday!! I, too, was disappointed that the horse show in Cadiz was not being offered through Disney so I decided to investigate another option. The horse shows are not presented on Mondays and Wednesdays which are the two days of the week that Disney stops in Cadiz in 2017 hence the tour is not available this year. I read that the town centre is only a short walk from the pier so we might just go on a photography walk in Cadiz as it is supposed to have amazing Moorish influenced architecture. Has anyone already done the HOHO tour in Cadiz? If I find anything really interesting, I will make sure to let everyone know!

Thanks, very excited as I leave Wednesday morning so just finishing off some things at work and then I am ready to go!

I think I've read someone wasn't impressed with the HOHO tour in Cadiz as it doesn't go near much. I looked at the route and it skirts alot of the city which I think is where most of the attractions are. I think I'm still going with it though as it was cheap and gives me some views of the surrounding area. Now I still need to have a look to see if there are any wine shops around the port

That was one of the excursions we would have been interested in. You would think they would not eliminate the shows when a cruise ship is porting -- seems like they'd be losing a lot of business :confused3

Thanks -- I have added this information to page one under Taxi Service in Barcelona.

Dear Fellow Cruisers: still *crickets* from DCL regarding available excursions and making said excursions magically appear under Transatlantic cruises instead of hunting and pecking around different Port Adventure destinations.

I checked yesterday in the hopes that things might be fixed, but they are not. The good news is that a training class I originally had scheduled for 5/19 (my booking window) has been changed to 5/17 so I can sleep a little later on 5/19--one of the many advantages to working from home.

Dear Fellow Cruisers: still *crickets* from DCL regarding available excursions and making said excursions magically appear under Transatlantic cruises instead of hunting and pecking around different Port Adventure destinations.

I checked yesterday in the hopes that things might be fixed, but they are not. The good news is that a training class I originally had scheduled for 5/19 (my booking window) has been changed to 5/17 so I can sleep a little later on 5/19--one of the many advantages to working from home.

HA HA -- when I thought we were first going, I was going to put in a request to have 5/19 off because I knew I'd be up late. Those booking windows can be tough.

Soooo, to all those who have been so kind to tell me I will be missed, I greatly appreciate it. I have had my follow-ups and know the path that is ahead. So while I'm unsure if it needs to be revealed, so many of you have expressed such great feelings and concern and care both online and in private messages, that I don't think it would be terrible to "reveal". The main reason is to affirm that it is not cancer or anything too shockingly scary, but more of a chance to get to the bottom and get on the right meds for an easier life.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with a Meningioma (benign tumors arising from the coverings of the brain and spinal cord). Brain MRI's followed every year to check it's growth. While benign, if it grows it can interfere with various functions. [Funny note: my doctor called me on my cell in 2008 to tell me the MRI results, and I was standing on the balcony of our hotel in Hawaii while he told me. He felt horrible when he realized that, but what better place to be when receiving scary news LOL.]

A few months ago my symptoms worsened and concern was that it grew and was pressing on my brain causing the symptoms (instability, tremors, smelling odd odors, vertigo). I cancelled my trip on the advice of the doctor because she thought until this is resolved, being out of country or even on a flight was dangerous (no duh). Well follow-up was last night and the cyst has not grown, but my symptoms are now being considered as possible early stages of epilepsy. I have to have an EEG (a device you wear for 72-hours to monitor brain function) to see what patterns my brain is taking.

So the good news is I don't have to have brain surgery :cheer2: The "bad" news is I may have to be on epilepsy meds. Funny thing, I don't care about that as much as I worry about the side effects of these dang drugs. Have you ever listened to the warnings in some of those commercials! :eek:

No worries or concern -- I'll be fine. I just wish this could have been worked out last year so I could still go on my trip this year and meet all you fine folks ;) Maybe next time.

Big encouraging hugs!

It seems to me that half the awfulness comes from not knowing. I'll be praying that finding the right medication and dosage goes quickly and smoothly for you.

And thank you so much for letting us know what's up: it let's us focus on supporting you through the annoying/difficult/frustrating bits rather than worrying so much. :)

We'll still miss you on the ship, but I'm happy that you have what sounds like a very manageable diagnosis.

Lots of love :love:

Oh my goodness, @RedSox68, that is scary as you previously described. I am glad you do not require brain surgery, and I hope that if you are put on epilepsy meds that the side effects do not interfere with your normal activities and make you feel better. You are a warrior!

When my doctor told me I had cancer in 2004, he seemed surprised at my "what's next" response. I think he expected me to breakdown in the office. Nope--we keep moving forward!

Oh my goodness, @RedSox68, that is scary as you previously described. I am glad you do not require brain surgery, and I hope that if you are put on epilepsy meds that the side effects do not interfere with your normal activities and make you feel better. You are a warrior!

When my doctor told me I had cancer in 2004, he seemed surprised at my "what's next" response. I think he expected me to breakdown in the office. Nope--we keep moving forward!

Congrats on surviving cancer -- brag worthy! Yes, the unknown is terrifying and I was thinking all kinds of things (cancer, MS, Parkinson's, etc.). I feel if it is epilepsy, I am lucky as it could be so much worse. I look forward to the day when I no longer feel like my brain is spinning or I am falling -- and THAT is why I don't do crazy fair ground rides or rollercoasters :rotfl2:

As you can tell by my vacation counters, we booked a cruise in September, but it stays close to home and requires no flying. The doctor was very concerned about the flying part. I found out her medical note will get me my airfare monies refunded :thumbsup2 She said she will know before my final payment on that cruise in July whether she wants me to travel at all right now.

Hello. Is anyone planning to go to the beach in Cadiz or have any veterans done this in the past? We are a family of three with a 7-year-old daughter and welcome the opportunity to explore all of the ports with those traveling with children.

In case anyone hasn't been following the main DIS DCL cruise threads, it appears that Carioca's no longer offers an embarkment day buffet. My husband and I always head there as it is less chaotic than Cabana's for that first onboard meal. I broke the news to him this morning, and he's as disappointed as I am. We like buffet style in the MDR for those meals because it allows us to take a sample of different dishes and get more of the ones we enjoyed.

Yes, I read that it seems that Enchanted Garden is only offering a menu lunch on embarkation day! And I agree, we loved the less chaotic experience of the buffet in the MDR. I would think the buffet would be easier on the servers than doing menu service!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter