• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9" TV/VCR for car

dreamer

Mouseketeer
Looking to buy a 9" TV/VCR for our Chevy Venture. Which brand is best and who sells it the cheapest price? Can I buy one online? Any discounts or tips appreciated.

I bought ours at Sam's Club back in 1997 for around $250. Now when we go to Sam's, we groan because the same TVs are less than $200. I have seen a variety of brands and I don't know if one is better than another. I haven't looked online, so I can't help you with that part of your question.

We took a driving trip this past summer and bought a 9" tv/vcr at Target. I believe it was on sale for $169.99 and it is a Memorex. We have only had it since July but have had no trouble with it and it worked great in the car. We bought a power invertor also so the kids could play Nintendo too and I got extra connectors so all four kids could use the headphones. This way people in the front seat didn't have to listen to the movies, ect. It gets kind of loud if you are by the speaker. My husband made a stand so the kids in the back could see the tv also and I don't know if it is the safest way to go but we used tie down straps rather than bungee cords to secure it.

I forgot to mention the headphones! Those are a great idea. We bought some from Radio Shack with a switch that would let our son listen in stero.

I spent a few more bucks and ordered a 13" combo. That way we can use it in the car and it makes a great TV for our bedroom. I ordered it from Amazon.com. I am going to bunge cord it down to a milk carton when in the car.

Forrest

Taylorf:

Welcome to DIS!

Conventional wisdom is that tie-down straps are better than bungee cords since they are rated to hold more weight. A 13" TV/VCR combo packs quite a punch traveling at 60 MPH and you have to stop suddenly.

We just purchased a 9"' TV/VCR combo from BJ's Wholesale Club for $189.00 (Sylvania brand). Add 2 sets of headphones from Target for $4.99 each and the $2.00 adapter from Radio Shack that allows you to plug in both sets of headphones and the total comes to
@ $200.00. Not a bad price for a peaceful roadtrip!

We bought the 13 inch and wish we had gone with the 9 inch. The 13 is just to big for the minivan. I find it very awkward and bulkey.

We will be traveling by car to florida from maine (24 hrs each way, but we all like to ride - we've done this several times) and for this trip we will be buying a 9" tv/vcr - We took the dimensions from a 13" (we have one already in the kitchen) , and it was just too big and bulky to fit. I think we are going with the the regular tv/vcr and will buy the dual conversion cord (with 2 outlets, about $50) for the tv and the nintendo. Pricewise it's about the same as buying the tv with the adapter and then buying an additional one with only 1 outlet - We didn't want to tie up 2 cigarette outlets in the car, and have cords all over the place.

We have a van, and when our 2 boys want to play nintendo, we can fold the 1st bench down and put the tv on that, strapped down. Otherwise it can fit between the 2 front seats - we have thought of putting a 4" binder under the tv to tilt it up, too.

The prices seem to range from $169 and up, and we're hoping for some good sale prices around Christmas.

RED65
118 to go!

Those with the VCR in a Bag and the 9" TV/VCR combos, can the VCRs be used later on in the hotels for hookup to the regular TVs?

Thank you all for your wonderful information. Our Venture only has 1 cig outlet...will that be a problem? What type of external pieces do I have to buy to work a Nintendo system? Thanks again

I just have to share my incredible find yesterday. A friend works at SAMs and called to tell me they had just put a dvd console unit for a mini-van on clearance. It was the display model, but had everything included and had never been used. The retail price is $599, but it was on discount for $250. When I got there the manager just happened by and I casually asked if there were any other markdown possibilities. He lowered it to $200 just for the asking. It's a KEC brand DVD player and it's grey like our interior. I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Lisa

Lisa, congrats on your team's big win today. But don't get too happy, cuz Papa Bowden is coming soon!

I would go for the vcr in a bag. It would be easier to take into the hotel room. We had a 13 inch which took up room, bulky and heavy to carry in. Last trip we did not take it. At Hard Rocck Hotel our van and 10 others was broken into. They were looking mainly for tvs. I am not sure that a portable type was what they wanted but they riped several out of the ceilings of some SUVs and Vans. Glad we did not bring ours we might have left it in the van.

Tigger

These things sound great ~ any one know where I can get one in Canada?

I have a question about the VCR in a Bag. Does it also act as a regular television or is it just a monitor for the tapes?

Also, I have a question about the security at the Universal HRC hotel....is there any?

Most bag models are Monitors and VCPs (players not recorders). Unless you want to use the device in your house as well, don't bother with getting a TV. Reception on the road is very poor if not non-existent. Unless of course you want to opt for the satellite dish that bolts on your roof.:smooth:

Forgot to mention that our van salesman threw in a mobile roof-mounted satellite dish in our vehicle purchase....boy, he was some salesman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter