A good use for resort id

I have been to Disney 15 times on vacation with my family, 14 of those times I stayed on property. I also did the college program this past fall, so I'd use Disney Transport sometimes if it made sense.

NEVER have I been asked to show my resort ID/cast ID/park hopper.

Now, I'm sure it's been done before, but I mean, with me being on a bus and monorail that many times, I'm surprised that I haven't even encountered it once.

I worked at Epcot, and I do know that during the holidays when we were starting to close in phases that the monorails from Epcot to Magic Kindom were asking to show a ticket or a Key to the World, since certain phases only let resort guests in and things like that. I'm a bit hazy on the details on that one since it was Christmas/New Years rush, but you get the idea.

For a few years after purchasing OKW (then DVC Resort) we had to our resort IDs for resort bus access...but that was before, when each resort had their own emblem on the resort ID. They could install a simple card reader on the busses that would be able to tell if you were a guest at a WDW resort or if you were a day guest, using a hopper. That way it wouldn't have to communicate with a central comouter, just look for a resort code in the account number.

They could install a simple card reader on the busses that would be able to tell if you were a guest at a WDW resort or if you were a day guest, using a hopper. That way it wouldn't have to communicate with a central comouter, just look for a resort code in the account number.
That would work, but at what price in time? Those card readers work fine on public buses which pick up people at bus stops in ones or twos. But, have you ever seen a public bus load after a sporting event? It's slooooowwww. For what? To stop a few cheaters? IMO, it's not worth it in either time or cost.

FWIW, I stayed at SSR for 3 days in December in the Congress Park section (closest to DTD) and I think I only saw one group of non-SSR people using the SSR bus to get to DTD. They were waiting at the Congress Park bus stop for the DTD bus. Since there are no buses to DTD from any park, guests who want to shop at DTD have to take a bus to some resort to catch a bus to DTD. If it were me, I would also ride to SSR and walk!

The hardest part of any sale be it stores in DTD, resort resturants or DVC member sales is getting potential customers "in the door". With this in mind why would Disney stop anyone from traveling around WDW? To get to DTD via the SSR bus you have to tour the whole property before being let off at DTD. Just a coincidence? If you park at DTD and walk to SSR to get a bus you will have to backtrack when you leave and many people will shop at DTD. Disney would most likely add bus's before stopping the potential customers. IMO.
The gates at each resort just reduce unregisterd vehicle trafic, if you want to drive through just tell them you are eating at one of the resturants or that you just want to "check out " the resort they will always let you in unless it's late at night. I personally don't see any of this as a problem at this time if it gets out of hand I would expect Disney address it. Of course I try not to let anything bother me while I'm on vacation...:wizard:

2 things

either have the comfirmation on hand or

Go back to Resort places to eat are for resort guest only.

I know the last will not happen as nothing as long as they are not hearing a lot of complaints they don't know it's becoming a hardship on resort guest.

I don't see either of these options happening.

What some of you are proposing sounds just short of a police state to me! I think ALL revenu generated from park tickets, resort guests and DVC members all contributes to the operation costs of the bus service, therefore ALL should have equal access to it. It's true that each resort (DVC and non-DVC) pays a service fee for bus subsidy to the resorts, but it all goes into one big pot.

What some of you are proposing sounds just short of a police state to me! I think ALL revenu generated from park tickets, resort guests and DVC members all contributes to the operation costs of the bus service, therefore ALL should have equal access to it. It's true that each resort (DVC and non-DVC) pays a service fee for bus subsidy to the resorts, but it all goes into one big pot.

That is my understanding as well. It is the Walt Disney World transportation system. I believe that any guest of WDW, whether a day guest or a resort guest, should be able to use the entire system as a result.

I don't get too upset about the bus people EXCEPT for those using it to access the Extra Magic Morning Hours. If you are staying on Holtel Boulevard, then you aren't eligible - but by walking over and hopping on the SSR bus, you get in just like the rest of us. I believe for evening you have to show resort ID, but in the morning they just control it by transportation I believe.

Anytime I have been to morning EMH they check resort ID at the gate.

Ditto, EMH is not controlled by transportation morning or evening, you have to show resort ID. Many offsite people show up early to the parks and they are held at the gate.

I agree with Diane on this one. Also many of the DTD resorts are good neighbor resorts, and even though many provide their own transportation, they also pay Disney for their status and benefits.

Who gets to ride the boats? Only resort guests? A multi-day ticket can last for years. I dont want to be on the bus when a family is removed because they cant produce a confirmation or resort ID. Talk about potential confrontation! Where's the Magic in that?

I like it the way it is, you are not going to make every bus every time and you are not going to get a seat every time. Thats just life:wizard:

I don't know...I think there could be security issues. I mean, our bags are searched to enter the parks because of "terrorists", but those same "terrorists" can hop a bus to any resort without any sort of security check or even ID to show they "belong" on property?

If some nut case were going to do something to Walt Disney parks to cause a commotion, what would stop them from hopping on a bus and doing their damage a at a resort instead? It would still be very newsworth, headlines would still say "Terrorist Attacks Disney World!" If Disney is making a point with the bag search, shouldn't the resort where people stay be at least as secure as a park?

That is my understanding as well. It is the Walt Disney World transportation system. I believe that any guest of WDW, whether a day guest or a resort guest, should be able to use the entire system as a result.

That is what I have always heard to be the case as well. If you were any type of guest at WDW then the transportation system was there for you to use. I have never heard anywhere but here that it is just for resort guests. Of course that doesn't mean that I am just not completly informed but that is what I have always heard.

Lori

Disney's bag search and drivers license check at the report gates are just post-911 feel-good moves. It makes the guests feel as if they are safe.

That is what I have always heard to be the case as well. If you were any type of guest at WDW then the transportation system was there for you to use. I have never heard anywhere but here that it is just for resort guests. Of course that doesn't mean that I am just not completly informed but that is what I have always heard.

Lori

But, resort busses DID used to be for Resort guests...we had to show resort ID until about 1994 to use resort busses.

Maybe I'm missing something.

How did these off site guest get to the parks to begin with? Wouldn't they have a car?

I also thought transportation was a perk of staying on WDW property?:confused3

If all you need to do is have a WDW multi-day ticket to use it then maybe WDW should stop stating the transportation as a perk for staying on site.

Am I missing something?

From Birnbaum's (which as you know is an Official Guide published under the Disney name) 2006:

TRANSPORTATION ID REQUIREMENTS: "Guests who wish to use the Disney transportation system may be asked for proof of riding privileges. Accepted ID's afford different degrees of access. WDW resort ID cards, Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper options or Water Park & More options, and Annual Passes let guests use all Disney buses, monorails, and boats. Valid one-day theme park tickets permit guests to use monorails and the ferries running between the TTC and the Magic Kingdom, but do not allow use of buses."

As I suggested in an earlier post, with the advent of MYW tickets not all multi-day tickets are park hoppers nor are all one-day tickets single theme park tickets. So, the ticket requirement is now that you have a MYW with park hopping privileges in order to use the transportation (or an older park hopper ticket).

But, resort busses DID used to be for Resort guests...we had to show resort ID until about 1994 to use resort busses.

See that's the problem. I was never able to stay onsite until I finally didn't invite my mother to come along for our trip in 2001. She was to cheap to pay for an onsite hotel. Now that I have DVC however she loves being onsite!

Thanks for the info,
Lori

If some nut case were going to do something to Walt Disney parks to cause a commotion, what would stop them from hopping on a bus and doing their damage a at a resort instead? It would still be very newsworth, headlines would still say "Terrorist Attacks Disney World!" If Disney is making a point with the bag search, shouldn't the resort where people stay be at least as secure as a park?

Looking at this as purely a security issue..."terrorists" would like cause multiple events at the same time...imagine the CR,YC/BC, and another resort 'going down' at the same time. Shudder Fox would have a field day. :(

When we were at SSR the first week in Dec/06 there were people on every bust that were asking what stop to get off at for DTD. This could be a security problem as they walk directly through the pool area at CP. The bus drivers are even directing people at which stop to get off for DTD, would it be huge issue to ask which resort they are at? This may not seem like a large problem now but word travels fast. How would you feel when you line up for a bus at MK and it feels like you are in line at POP for the large number of riders trying to commute to DTD. This could be a very large issue in the future.

Looking at this as purely a security issue..."terrorists" would like cause multiple events at the same time...imagine the CR,YC/BC, and another resort 'going down' at the same time. Shudder Fox would have a field day. :(

Oh, very true...but isn't Disney trying to project the illusion of security? I mean, we have to show ID to drive into the resort parking lots...but anyone could hop a bus...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter