A Jolly Holiday with Masseys: THE TRIP REPORT - WDW Dec2019

Life Update

The last week has been interesting.

On the trip front Southwest threw us for another loop by changing our flights and not for the best. Anyone else get their flights changed on Tuesday? They cancelled both our flights coming and going. They put Michelle on only the only direct flight out and put Danielle and I on a flight that left at 8:30 am and didn't arrive until 1:40 pm due to a plane change in Nashville. I tried over and over to at least get us moved to Michelle's flight but couldn't, I kept getting an error message. I ended up calling and spending 1 hour & 21 minutes on hold but did get our flights changed to match Michelle. We now depart at 10:00 am and arrive at 12:45 am. Our return flight now departs at 5:20 pm and arrives at 6:05 pm. So we lost about 3 hours of park time on Thursday and Sunday. Bummer. We spent the next two days hashing out what changes we needed to make so this trip could still work for us. Michelle was ok with shorter park time in DHS and AK since she's going to be there over Labor Day Weekend. She did want to have as much time in Epcot since she hasn't seen Epcot since 2018. Danielle and I both want as much time in the parks as possible but she doesn't want to pay for 2 days of parks for only about 4 hours of park time. I have an annual pass so any park time is good for me but I do want a full day in MK since it's my favorite. We hashed out driving and picking up another night stay somewhere or possibly flying in Wednesday night and getting another night somewhere but there are no direct flight on Wednesday night and Michelle doesn't want to miss anymore time away from John Paul or possibly work. We all had to stop and put it all into perspective. When Danielle and I originally planned this weekend trip it was just going to be a party on Thursday night, Epcot food & wine on Friday, MK on Saturday, some time in DS on Sunday and fly home. When the party was cancelled we added some time in DHS and when our return flight was pushed to later we added AK. In the big picture, we were getting a little carried away and greedy. Wednesday night we got together and compromised on what was important to each person. MK and Epcot were the winners. The plan now is to try to get as much time in DHS on our arrival day. I think we will Uber to Kidani instead of waiting on Magical Express so we can head out to the park ASAP. We'll still do dinner that night @ Sanaa. Friday will still be all day in MK with some time in DS after close. Friday we'll sleep in a little and spend the day in Epcot. I'm sorry @buzzrelly but we won't be in DHS on Saturday. I don't remember what your other park days were. We have dinner at Toppolin's on Saturday night. Sunday we'll just take out time packing up and check out the resort before we get picked up for ME. It's sad to be so close to AK but not go. Danielle doesn't want to pay for only 4 hours in the park. I'm always saying I need to take advantage of our resorts but never take the time so this could be a good thing.

Who's been watching the weather? Right now we're watching it real close because there are 2 storms in the gulf that are predicted to effect our area. We live far enough in that we don't usually have to too bad but it's looking like we're going to get a lot of rain and possibly some power outages. Hurricanes are very common here so we take it in stride. I've enjoyed the jokes but I think my favorite is:
A man walks into a bar in New Orleans and orders a corona and 2 hurricanes. The Bartender replies "That will be $20.20". :rotfl2:

I'm such a light weight I don't think I could drink 2 hurricanes.

So today is storm prep day. Fill up with gas, clean up debris in yard, check the generator, buy tons of snacks, gather candles and flashlights and wait.

How has everyone else's week been?

They cancelled both our flights coming and going.
:sad2:
I ended up calling and spending 1 hour & 21 minutes on hold but did get our flights changed to match Michelle.
At least you got it changed. Took a while, but... it worked.
So we lost about 3 hours of park time on Thursday and Sunday.
Not too bad... but not great, either.
Danielle and I both want as much time in the parks as possible but she doesn't want to pay for 2 days of parks for only about 4 hours of park time.
I can see that. A lot of money for a 1/2 (or even 1/3) day.
I do want a full day in MK since it's my favorite.
:thumbsup2
I think we will Uber to Kidani instead of waiting on Magical Express so we can head out to the park ASAP.
I'm curious. How much time do you think you'll save?
Who's been watching the weather? Right now we're watching it real close because there are 2 storms in the gulf that are predicted to effect our area.
Must admit, I'm only peripherally aware of that.
it's looking like we're going to get a lot of rain and possibly some power outages.
Stay safe!
A man walks into a bar in New Orleans and orders a corona and 2 hurricanes. The Bartender replies "That will be $20.20". :rotfl2:
:lmao:
Been pretty good. :)
Worked til Thursday, Elle (my oldest DD) had a pool party on Friday, so was nice to see her enjoying herself (I stayed away, so as not to cramp her style). Today was the Indy 500 and I watch every year. Also ran my first 10K this morning.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Glad to hear you are all on the one direct flight. I think your plans sounds good even if a little different than the original. Still sounds like a great line up and resort time can be fun too:goodvibes
Hope the hurricanes don’t hit you all too badly. I’ll be thinking of you. Stay safe :hug:

Today was the Indy 500 and I watch every year. Also ran my first 10K this morning.
I watched the beginning of the Indy 500. Loved the opening ceremony and the Thunderbirds but wow that car went on fire fast! How scary must it be driving at high speed with your wheel on fire!🔥 I’d never make it as an Indy driver. I’m way too chicken:rotfl2: Congratulations on running 10 k👍

I'm sorry @buzzrelly but we won't be in DHS on Saturday. I don't remember what your other park days were.

Don't worry about me…I may still be in CT on that Saturday :sad:

I'm sorry about all your changes. Southwest really cut back on flights from CT as well…it makes me so sad as it is a sign of the times.

So today is storm prep day. Fill up with gas, clean up debris in yard, check the generator, buy tons of snacks, gather candles and flashlights and wait.

Good luck and stay safe! :hug:

Not nearly as eventful as yours. I've been enjoying a few days off…ver much needed. We've been relaxing by the pool and having my mom and niece over to swim. Back to work for me tomorrow :sad1:

Also ran my first 10K this morning.

Awesome! Congratulations! :banana:

It has been so long since I commented, but I am following along! Bummer about the change in your plans - this is why my sister and I decided to drive for our Labor Day weekend trip. We are both control freaks, and have a hard time with all the airport/airline nonsense during regular times, and now it's just crazy! It's about a 15-hour drive for us, so it means adding two days to the trip, but all of our kids are older and we're both currently working from home, so it's not such a big deal.

So exciting about your upgrade to AKL! We stayed there in 2012 and loved it - the resort is absolutely gorgeous and really peaceful. I think you'll have a great trip, and Animal Kingdom will still be there for your next visit :thumbsup2

Saw this one circulating on FB...truth!!

Glad you got the flights sorted out!! Plans sound great too, any park time at this point is better than none, and with hopefully low crowds you will get to do more than normal anyway in less time! I look forward to living vicariously!

At least you got it changed. Took a while, but... it worked.

I'm persistent and thankful we got the change.

I'm curious. How much time do you think you'll save?

I don't know. I want to at least check the line to how much of a wait before trying Uber. Michelle will be using ME next month so maybe it will give us some insight.

Must admit, I'm only peripherally aware of that.

You're so far North is doesn't effect you at all.

Stay safe!

So far so good. Marco ended up being a dud. We closed the office and it's been a perfectly nice day with a nice breeze. Alabama and the Florida panhandle ended up getting what we were suppose to get. I offered to go in to work but they turned me down. Laura is moving further and further West so it should be a bigger issue for Central and Western Louisiana and Texas. Hoping they don't get it too bad.

Been pretty good. :)

That's good to hear.

Worked til Thursday, Elle (my oldest DD) had a pool party on Friday, so was nice to see her enjoying herself (I stayed away, so as not to cramp her style).

Good Dad. You don't want to embarrass her too much.

Today was the Indy 500 and I watch every year.

I know you enjoy the race.

Also ran my first 10K this morning.

party:Congrats! I'm very impressed.

:rotfl2:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Glad to hear you are all on the one direct flight. I think your plans sounds good even if a little different than the original. Still sounds like a great line up and resort time can be fun too:goodvibes

I think it will still be fun cause we will be together in our Happy Place.

Hope the hurricanes don’t hit you all too badly. I’ll be thinking of you. Stay safe :hug:

So far so good. Marco fell apart and Karen is moving farther West.

Don't worry about me…I may still be in CT on that Saturday :sad:

Oh nooooo!

I'm sorry about all your changes. Southwest really cut back on flights from CT as well…it makes me so sad as it is a sign of the times.

It has been an adventure. I hope no other changes happen that are this bad.

Good luck and stay safe! :hug:

Thanks!

Not nearly as eventful as yours. I've been enjoying a few days off…ver much needed. We've been relaxing by the pool and having my mom and niece over to swim. Back to work for me tomorrow :sad1:

I like your relaxing week.

Bummer about the change in your plans - this is why my sister and I decided to drive for our Labor Day weekend trip. We are both control freaks, and have a hard time with all the airport/airline nonsense during regular times, and now it's just crazy! It's about a 15-hour drive for us, so it means adding two days to the trip, but all of our kids are older and we're both currently working from home, so it's not such a big deal.

We thought about driving but for now it's a not. Don'e forget Michelle will be there that weekend too. I hope you have a great trip.

So exciting about your upgrade to AKL! We stayed there in 2012 and loved it - the resort is absolutely gorgeous and really peaceful. I think you'll have a great trip, and Animal Kingdom will still be there for your next visit :thumbsup2

We're excited about AKV.

Saw this one circulating on FB...truth!!

That's where I saw it too.

Glad you got the flights sorted out!! Plans sound great too, any park time at this point is better than none, and with hopefully low crowds you will get to do more than normal anyway in less time! I look forward to living vicariously!

We're looking forward to the low crowds. Thanks for following along!

I don't know. I want to at least check the line to how much of a wait before trying Uber. Michelle will be using ME next month so maybe it will give us some insight.
I'll be interested to see which way you go.
You're so far North is doesn't effect you at all.
Nope.
Marco ended up being a dud. We closed the office and it's been a perfectly nice day with a nice breeze.
:) Sounds like a win/win.
Laura is moving further and further West so it should be a bigger issue for Central and Western Louisiana and Texas. Hoping they don't get it too bad.
Glad it won't hit you, though.
Good Dad. You don't want to embarrass her too much.
Meh. Who wants an old fart around ruining their fun?
I know you enjoy the race.
::yes::
party:Congrats! I'm very impressed.
Thanks, Vanessa. :) Can't hardly believe I did it. Prior to this year, the farthest I'd run is... probably to the bathroom.

I'll be interested to see which way you go.

Me too.

Sounds like a win/win.

It was for today. I will pay for it tomorrow while I try to get caught up.

Glad it won't hit you, though.

Thanks, me too!

Thanks, Vanessa. :) Can't hardly believe I did it. Prior to this year, the farthest I'd run is... probably to the bathroom.

Did you train for this? If so how long and what did you do?

Park Day 3- Magic Kingdom 1st Day- Monday, December 16th - Skipper Canteen Adventure

After completing the mountains it was getting close to our 11:30 ADR for Skipper Canteen. This was a new restaurant for us and was Danielle's choice. We didn't want to pay out of pocket for for another kids meal for John Paul. There wasn't much on the menu he would like anyway. He has a very limited palate. We chose instead to pick him up a hot dog meal in Tortua Tavern with a Pirate Pear Slush and use a CS credit. This ended up being a good choice. He loves hot dogs and we all enjoyed his drink.

I tried to take a few pictures of the waiting area while we also tried to keep up with John Paul.

We didn't wait too long before we were seated. I can't remember the name of the room but it wasn't the main room to the right when you first enter. Our room was further into the restaurant. The room we sat in had blue walls with artifacts on the wall. They were smart and seated us in a room that was fairly empty and at a back corner table. Since we had a young child this was perfect. I had sat in the corner seat by the wall but soon switched John Paul to this seat. This helped limit his chances of escaping since he was covered by the three of us. We had used this to our advantage at Coral Reef too.
We were soon ordering our food. Dennis elected to get a salad instead of dessert. I don't remember what he had for his main dish and I did not get a picture. Danielle had the Perkins Thai Noodles and I had Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak.

We all enjoyed our meals. Danielle had the Kungalosshi and I had the Coconut Bar for dessert, both were delicious. Yes, @pkondz I like coconut.

While we were finishing our meal, John Paul crawled under the table. I though at first he was trying to escape but instead he was looking for some privacy. I sent this picture to Michelle which gave her a good laugh. I think she passed it around her office.

Afterwards he was feeling much better.

I immediately had to take him to the restroom. This was the cleansing we had been waiting for him to do for the past 3 days. The restroom was so nicely done I wish I had been able to take pictures but was very occupied with cleaning JP up. I ended up having to change his shorts out for some pants. It was still very warm in the day but the shorts were done for.

Once John Paul was cleaned up I was able to take some photos of our area while we waited for the bill.

Continued. . . .

This was the room we were seated in.

This was our little corner.
Overall we really enjoyed our meal here and would eat here again. I would love to have time to really look around and see everything. I did see the Butterfly Table room and the China Room on my way to and from the bathroom. Looking at this picture it looks like Danielle had Schweitzer Slush. Sorry I missed that earlier.

After lunch we headed to Pirates since we were already in Adventureland. The posted wait time was 35 minutes and I think it ended up being more like 45.

He was once again attached to Danielle.

After about 15 minutes in the line John Paul crashed.

We had to pass him around since he was so heavy.

He had a nice nap and woke up right before we got on the ride. I don't think anything really scared him and just looked at everything. He really liked the dump shop after we got off.

John Paul was wide awake and ready to take a mountain. We were about to find out if he was tall enough to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

It was for today. I will pay for it tomorrow while I try to get caught up.
Uh, oh.
Did you train for this? If so how long and what did you do?
Yes I did. I started back in early April. I downloaded an app called C25K, which stands for Couch to (2) 5K.
It starts with you running 3 times a week. Each "run" is 5 minutes of walking, then 15 minutes of running for 1 minute and walking for 1.5 minutes. That was tough. I would count the minute in my head and end each minute gasping for breath and thinking I'd die. Every time the 1.5 minutes of walking would end and I'd have to run again, I always dreaded it. But I kept at it. The running lengths increased each week. Week two was 1.5 minutes running, 2 minutes walking. I didn't think I could do it. But just managed it. Week three was 1.5 run, 1.5 walk, repeat, then two times of run 3 minutes and walk 3 minutes. I figured that was the most I would be able to manage and almost gave it up then. I mean... 3 minutes straight of running? That's forever!
Kept at it and after 9 weeks, I ran my first 5K.

Fast forward to day before yesterday... I ran for just under 75 minutes straight.
We didn't want to pay out of pocket for for another kids meal for John Paul. There wasn't much on the menu he would like anyway.
Yeah, that menu is not overly kid friendly.
a Pirate Pear Slush
Oh! That sounds good, actually. Might have to try that.
I can't remember the name of the room but it wasn't the main room to the right when you first enter. Our room was further into the restaurant.
I've only eaten in the main room.
I had sat in the corner seat by the wall but soon switched John Paul to this seat. This helped limit his chances of escaping since he was covered by the three of us.
:laughing: Got it figured out, do you?
Yes, @pkondz I like coconut.
:sad2: There's just no accounting for taste!
While we were finishing our meal, John Paul crawled under the table.
Ah ha! He found a loophole!
I though at first he was trying to escape but instead he was looking for some privacy.
Ah! I remember those days with my girls. ::yes::
This was the cleansing we had been waiting for him to do for the past 3 days.
Finally!
Pretty chandeliers!
Overall we really enjoyed our meal here and would eat here again.
Glad you enjoyed it. I'd go back, too.
The posted wait time was 35 minutes and I think it ended up being more like 45.
Hmmm... bit longer than I'd prefer, but not bad.
He was once again attached to Danielle.
Awww... cute photo, too.
We had to pass him around since he was so heavy.
:) Pass the passed out tot!
He really liked the dump shop after we got off.
I bet! It's like every little boy's dream!
We were about to find out if he was tall enough to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
dun dun dun!

instead he was looking for some privacy. I sent this picture to Michelle which gave her a good laugh. I think she passed it around her office.

:rotfl:

I'm sure if you ever get back to SC, this story will be all you think about!

After about 15 minutes in the line John Paul crashed.

Aw 😍

I'm not surprised she had to pass him off after…sleeping kids get heavy!

Yes I did. I started back in early April. I downloaded an app called C25K, which stands for Couch to (2) 5K.
It starts with you running 3 times a week. Each "run" is 5 minutes of walking, then 15 minutes of running for 1 minute and walking for 1.5 minutes. That was tough. I would count the minute in my head and end each minute gasping for breath and thinking I'd die. Every time the 1.5 minutes of walking would end and I'd have to run again, I always dreaded it. But I kept at it. The running lengths increased each week. Week two was 1.5 minutes running, 2 minutes walking. I didn't think I could do it. But just managed it. Week three was 1.5 run, 1.5 walk, repeat, then two times of run 3 minutes and walk 3 minutes. I figured that was the most I would be able to manage and almost gave it up then. I mean... 3 minutes straight of running? That's forever!

Fast forward to day before yesterday... I ran for just under 75 minutes straight.

That's awesome! 🙌

Are you gearing up for a Run Disney race, perhaps?

When I did the Food and Wine Challenge, I used the Jeff Galloway run/walk method for all 6 and then 13 miles. Those walk breaks are a life saver!

That's awesome! 🙌
Thanks, Kelly. :)
Are you gearing up for a Run Disney race, perhaps?
Indirectly. When I saw the HM virtual run, it was the tipping point to start. I had a 5K as my goal.
I don't know when I'll get to Disney again, so running there isn't even on my radar right now, but my oldest DD wants to do one with me. So... who knows!
When I did the Food and Wine Challenge, I used the Jeff Galloway run/walk method for all 6 and then 13 miles. Those walk breaks are a life saver!
I'd never heard of that, but it's an extension to what I'd been doing up to a couple months ago. I think if I do more than 10K (and I have no idea if I will or not), then I could see doing that.

I didn't realize you had started this TR so just spent the morning catching up. Always love your TR's!

I'm feeling your pain as I'm reading this. It's really great that you stuck it out.

:scared1: I can't even imagine running for that long! :worship:

I'm VERY IMPRESSED.

Oh! That sounds good, actually. Might have to try that.

It was really good.

I've only eaten in the main room.

Next time ask for another room.

Pretty chandeliers!

Yes there were.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'd go back, too.

And next time you go back ask for another room.

Awww... cute photo, too.

:thanks:

dun dun dun!

Will he or won't he make it?

I'm sure if you ever get back to SC, this story will be all you think about!

Every time we go this is what we will remember.

I didn't realize you had started this TR so just spent the morning catching up. Always love your TR's!

:welcome:once again and thanks for joining!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter