• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A thread for those who don't think Frozen is all that and a bag of chips

Golf4food

Male pirate last time I checked. Yep. Still male.
DW and I and her sister and fiance must be among the smallest minority on the plane today - we didn't really like Frozen. :scared1:

It has its moments, but I don't get the hype.:confused3

The movie can't decide if it is serious or joking - Is it making fun of itself? Is it taking itself too seriously? It changes every other scene.

The music is, mostly, terribly written, with horrid transitions. Everything wrong with modern broadway rolled into one painful score. (I'm more judgemental about the music than most due having a music degree and to my 20 years playing in orchestras and in mulitple musicals, etc.)

The lyrics are childish and mostly dumbed-down, moreso than any Disney film in history that I can recall. Howard Ashman must be rolling over in his grave. While I give them credit for using the word "Fractals", they lose points for having a princess sing about being gassy. Seriously? And the song with her and the prince declaring their undying love for each other (and sandwiches) is one of the worst songs I've ever suffered through. Until the troll song later in the film. Disney music hit a new low twice in the same movie!

Half of the songs are poorly setup - they frequently just jump right into the singing. This is part of an overall problem with scene transitions and pacing with the entire film, however.

The movie is generally quite predictable and even some direct quotes we called before they were said out loud by the characters.

Not everything is bad, of course. There are some nice moments of animation, some funny moments. "In Summer" is hilarious and well crafted (it is also mimmicking an older style, not their modern pop-infused broadway drivel).

Some nice animation (also some not-so-nice where you can tell background characters are blocky and stiff in movement, cost and corner cutting). Nice scenery.

Never been happier we waited to watch the bluray before buying a Disney film. We honestly found it to be the least enjoyable Disney movie since Home on the Range. Tangled is far, far superior in every way.

Glad everyone else loves it so much. Good for Disney. I just seriously hope this doesn't usher in a new era of movies that are all in the same style.

I am just not a fan of all computer animation. Beauty and the Beast was great with traditional animation and computer animated backgrounds, but I think it is sad that traditional animation itself is a dying art. I do enjoy Toy Story and that doesn't bother me, but computer animated people just aren't the same for me. I was watching a Pixar show awhile ago and even the Pixar employees were talking about the loss of traditional animated films and how they never thought that computer animation would pretty much end traditional animation.
I may be old school, but just kind of sad to me. Doesn't have the same feel or something???????????? Characters just don't seem as real, yes, I know somebody is going to say something about that. Anyone with me? :wave2: pixiedust:

I'm right there wtih you. Although I admit I shuddered at your use of that silly DW nonsense.

As far as Frozen goes, I just don't get it. Still don't. OK, I didn't see it in the theaters, but from the comfort of my home on DVD a week after it came out in the theaters (thanks local Chinese guy!). I feel alot better about my $3 purchase rather than wasting time and money at the theater.

Olaf? Pointless waste of attempted humor. The snow monster guy? Pointless waste of a character... and I pity anyone who bothered sticking around in the theater until the very end of the credits just to see him put the crown on. Boy, did you all get taken.

And as a straight male, I'm sorry but 'Let it Go' isn't my thing. Not really into show tunes.

People like different things about different movies. I don't think Frozen is the best Disney movie (I preferred Monsters University and Wreck it Ralph) Personally, I think Tangled is a terrible movie and can't stand Rapunzel. But her movie is crazy popular.

Lol clearly this isn't a thread for me. I feel like we saw different movies. Lol oh well that's why there is vanilla AND chocolate!!!

As an animation lover- I feel your dismay for the death of traditional animation but the new style kind of grabs me. Ok I only took one animation class in college.... But I do respect the art...

Loved tangled he he
Agree that beauty & the beast was the last great traditional animated feature... (Although I really did like Mulan)
But I am one if the masses that loved Frozen :)

Totally with you on this. See my other thread, "Did we see a different Frozen than everyone else"?, LOL.

We thought it was "OK", but really, do not get the hype at all on this one.

Be forewarned though! There are some seriously hard core Disney can do no wrong people on these forums! Not too many bad posts in my thread, but wow, I even received a private message asking how I could not simply love the greatest Disney film of all time, and there must be something wrong with me, LOL. :rotfl:

OH, and wait. If you haven't already seen it, you may enjoy this "trailer" more than the film itself! Kind of says it all about it for me. and my wife, LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5IH57SorQ

As far as disagreeing, other people need to let it go. (Sorry.) It is perfectly fine that you don't like, don't love, or even CAN'T STAND Frozen.

On a side note: The animation is very different. I love hand drawn animation. If you do check out all things Studio Ghibli, they do beautiful work. However I do love this modern computer animation, too. It is very different, but they can do some amazing and beautiful things with it that hand drawn cannot do. The snow was one of them. I've seen the movie 9 times now (Lots of showings with kids) and the snow just fascinates me. I wish they would still do both styles of animation, but alas, it is not to be. Hand drawn has limitations and is very expensive. I'm not sure how long even Ghibli will last doing hand drawn.

Thus is art. All art from paintings to music to movies are subjective. No matter how great the work of art, a fair percentage of the population won't like it. I don't care for Picasso at all, love Mozart, love Wyeth, don't care for Citizen Kane, love Frozen, don't like Lion King, etc., etc..

I loved Frozen and think it is one of the greatest Disney movies of all time for lots of reasons. My daughter adores Lion King, but I don't care for it much. C'est la vie!

Have at it and enjoy dissecting what you saw as flaws in this thread. No one should be upset. If you want to argue points, I certainly can, but their are "I love Frozen" threads for lovers to wax poetic on the greatest motion picture ever made! ;)

Everyone's opinion of art is as valid as anyone else's opinion. Unless you hate every Disney movie ever made. Then we're ALL going to get you!:lmao:

(First post after years of lurking then finally getting an account, and it has to be about my dislike for a Disney movie, haha.)

I had pretty high expectations for this movie since I absolutely love Disney movies. I don't know what is, but I feel like something crucial was missing from the movie. The animation is beautiful, but there was something about the story that felt kind of empty to me. I feel like they held back while making this movie (and judging by some of the early concept art of I've seen, they did). And to be completely honest, I didn't really care for Olaf. He was mildly funny at first, but then he got really annoying and there were several moments where I really wanted him to shut up because he was killing the mood :confused3

The "Let it Go" sequence was probably the only thing I really liked from the movie. Even then, the very beginning of the song wasn't flowing very well to me. I don't get the hype over the movie itself either :confused3

Overall, I liked the movie and the story, but I do think it's quite overrated, and it is the music that makes it fall a peg for me, excepting Let it Go. I agree that they are some of the worst lyrics I have ever heard. It's like sometimes they didn't know how to finish a line..."I wanna stuff some chocolate in my face?" That had nothing to do with anything and is kinda gross to hear it sung with her mouth full. In Summer and Fixer-Upper are not that good as well. I have said before, but where was Alan Menkin when we needed him? Tangled has much better music, and overall, I think it was a better movie.

I didn't care for Frozen either and I'm usually a HUGE fan of almost any animated movie. But I'm pretty sure that my expectations are to blame for my dislike. I feel like Disney really messed up with their advertisement of this movie (at least in my location...not sure if it was the same everywhere or not).

Based on the previews I saw of an absolutely ADORABLE snowman and an even more adorable moose slipping and sliding and sneezing their way across a frozen pond, I went expecting to see a comedic animated movie along the lines of Shrek or How to Tame A Dragon with the snowman and the moose as the main characters. Boy was I in for a shock when what I got was an operatic princess-rescues-the-maiden-in-distress story!

Chances are that if I had gone to see the movie with an accurate understanding of what I was buying tickets for, I would have loved it. But it was kind of like going to see a romantic comedy and then when it starts...you're actually watching Die Hard 3 or something. In all seriousness, we spent about the first 30 minutes of the movie asking each other if we'd gone in the wrong theater....it's crazy how much your expectations can affect your response to something.

I think Frozen is roughly in par with The Lion King; a very mediocre and forgettable movie with one or two really good scenes. I like Let It Go well enough and the scene where Elsa loses control of her powers was quite well done but everything else was really underwhelming.

The story is all over the place and there’s never really that much time spent on building the character’s relationships. Elsa’s and Anna’s relationship started off fine but after Anna is hurt they don’t see each other for ten years or so and they never really have time to reconnect. By the time the movie decides whether it’s about Anna and Elsa or Anna and that guy that SPOILERS turns out to be a villain in the last 20 minutes or Anna and Kristoff the film is over and we never actually see the bond that the movie is supposed to be about.

Another thing I don’t get is why so many people love this movie’s songs. Again, Let It Go is pretty good –though nowhere near as good Howard Ashman’s songs IMO- but literally every other song seems like it was thrown together in 10 minutes. Was there really a song about how reindeer smell worse than humans and a song about what a snowman would do in summertime? No, I must have imagined those parts, surely. Even the songs in Mulan and Tarzan were better than this.

I feel like Frozen was hyped up so much, you know, saying it was better than the Lion King and bull like that. But I feel like it was hyped up to an unattainable standard and then everyone was disappointed after it was released. I didn't have a problem with the movie but I certainly didn't think it was the best.

As for the music, I think that some songs were better than others. I absolutely love Let it Go yet despise Love is an Open Door. I mean come on, she said, "Can I say something crazy?" Not, "Can i randomly sing something crazy?"

The songs were too sporadic with poor transitions. I didn't particularly enjoy Anna's character because Disney tried too hard to make her a likable character.

And another thing, people have said that Sven was just a reindeer version of Maximus from Tangled. But does anyone remember Pegasus from Hercules? Well Maximus is just a horse version of Pegasus.

Finally, I think that Olaf was adorable, although he was the comic relief. Some of his lines were stupid, *cough, cough* "I don't know if this helps but I found a staircase headed exactly where we want to go." But some of his lines were funny and every movie needs an awesome sidekick.

All in all, Frozen definitely wasn't Disney's best work, but it was cute and I definitely enjoyed watching it.

first time I watched frozen was on a ripped dvd from Mexico. I was driving and had it playing on the dvd player. I thought most of the music at the time was kinda cheesy(still think some of it is).
Now, having watched the movie over and over and over and over I must say the music, the humor and the movie have really grown on me.

to me "do you wanna build a snowman" is the best song followed by
"let it go"
Olafs song is probably my third favorite. the rest.. MEH.

I love Anna(sp). think her character is very well done.

Worst part...The stupid troll song.

I agree that Frozen was a bit overrated. I think it was a good movie, but I think hearing from so many places that it was the greatest thing ever, and seeing he 4 hour line of people waiting to see Anna and Elsa pretty much set me up to be disappointed because there was no way it could live up to expectations. If I had seen it before hearing any reviews than I may have thought differently. I even think "Let It Go" is overrated (GASP!). I've had people argue AT me for that opinion but I just tell them I liked it the first time I heard it when I saw Wicked and it was called "Defying Gravity".

I did like the move, and enjoyed the concept that love at first sight might not be such a smart idea. Ultimately, the movie didn't do much for me so I have been surprised at the hype. I enjoyed Tangled much more - beautiful movie, cute characters, good songs. The Little Mermaid will always be #1 for me.

Personally the only thing that made me consider seeing Frozen recently was not the Cookie Cutter template plot, but the fact that two of the characters are now appearing in Once Upon A Time!

Yeh, it's not great.

One of my main issues is with the music. The Grammy winning "Let It Go" lyrics and especially the arrangement feels very contemporary. It is unclear whether the movie supposed to be set in present day or if the story is another "long ago and far away" fairy tale. If this is a period piece, the contemporary music is not a good fit. Oh well, the target audience is conveniently too young to know the difference, ♫ "anyway".

According to the Huffington Post, "CinemaSins has tallied the wrongdoings of a lot of films. Sticking mostly to the action-adventure genre, the channel's nitpicked at movies that are truly awful, and others that have been fan favorites, but it's all been in good fun..." With warnings for profanity and profound sarcasm, this "Everything Wrong With" is fun to watch if you have not imbibed too much of the Koolaid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter