A Very Merry Un-21st-Birthday to Me! May 2015 Trip - Updated 10/27**

kadrachb

DIS Veteran
pixiedust: Hello everyone! pixiedust:
:welcome:

For anyone who didn't follow my PTR (which can be found here if you want to read it) let me introduce myself and the person who came with me on this trip!

MK_FNTSYBRG_7307440461_zpsrvjihwju.jpeg

Me (Kate): I'm currently a student at Millersville University in PA, and I'm also from PA. I first went to Disney World when I was 5, my parents took me for my 6th birthday. I returned last year with my boyfriend for his graduation trip. My favorite ride is now probably 7DMT or Expedition Everest.

My Boyfriend (Kenny): Graduated last summer from University of Maryland with a degree in Criminology, however, he is now pursuing his IT certifications and a career in that field. He currently lived in Maryland, and we have been together for a little over a year and a half. His first trip was last summer, were his parents as a graduation gift sent him and I to Disney! His favorite character is Olaf (as you can see by the t-shirt) and his favorite ride is Expedition Everest.

When did this trip take place?
Our trip was from May 12th - May 19th 2015. We visited parks from the 13th - 18th.

Where?
We stayed at AKL in a club access room. Our actual room number was 4233! Had some great views of the animals!

Why?
A 21st birthday present from mom was what started this trip. I turned 21 in February, but due to school and probably having a project or work to do over Spring Break, I decided to take my birthday trip in May!

Stay tuned for more to come! We had some great meals and a really fun time!

(Actually, already trying to talk my mom into a christmas/birthday/graduation gift for staying at the GF next May... :lmao:)

Table of Contents
Traveling Day(s)
Arrival Day / DTD / Cookes of Dublin
Arrival Night / The Mara / Birthday Surprise!
Day 1 - Magic Kingdom - Part 1
Day 1 - Magic Kingdom - Part 2 / Be Our Guest Lunch
Day 1 - Magic Kingdom - Part 3 / Crystal Palace Dinner
Day 2 - Hollywood Studios - Part 1
Day 2 - Hollywood Studios - Part 2
Day 2 - Boma Dinner and Downtown Disney - Part 3
Day 3 - Epcot - Part 1
Day 3 - Epcot - Part 2: Around Half the World We Go!
Day 3 - Epcot - Part 3: Dining With Royalty
Day 4 - Animal Kingdom - Part 1: IS THAT A LION?!
Day 4 - Animal Kingdom - Part 2
Day 4 - Animal Kingdom / Magic Kingdom - Part 3
Day 5 - Epcot - Part 1
Day 5 - Dinner at the California Grill
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom - Part 1: Our Last Full Day!
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom - Part 2: Our Last Full Day!
Day 6 - Dinner at The Grand!
Day 6 - After Dinner!

Last edited:
Following! I lurked on your PTR and was going to comment but then you were already on this trip :lmao:Clearly I have expect timing :rolleyes2! But I am here to follow along now :thumbsup2

I'm here!! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!! Though you kinda scared me when you said you regretted not taking a real "break day" on your trip...I wasn't planning any FULL break days into ours either...maybe I should rethink that...

Loved your PTR, so I'm in!
Yay! :welcome: :)

Following! I lurked on your PTR and was going to comment but then you were already on this trip :lmao:Clearly I have expect timing :rolleyes2! But I am here to follow along now :thumbsup2
My PTR was a super quick one! I think I decided to do it like three weeks out? :rotfl:
But, :welcome:! So glad you decided to join in!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!! Though you kinda scared me when you said you regretted not taking a real "break day" on your trip...I wasn't planning any FULL break days into ours either...maybe I should rethink that...
I think it's the heat and humidity that got to us, and not drinking enough water. Also, I'm used to walking 10,000+ steps from about 8am - 8pm throughout the day, however, I was not prepared like I thought I was for Disney walking. But so glad you're here! :-)
You only got back yesturday and you already have your TR started?!?:worship: I'm still sorting through pictures!

I'm going to go through my pictures as I do this! Haha. Plus, I'm sure as a family you have MANY more pictures than I do. I have shorted out food pictures, however, I am now realizing we forgot to take pictures of a lot of foods. Ooops. :laughing:

I'm going to go through my pictures as I do this! Haha. Plus, I'm sure as a family you have MANY more pictures than I do. I have shorted out food pictures, however, I am now realizing we forgot to take pictures of a lot of foods. Ooops. :laughing:
Yeah we forgot a lot of food pictures as well. And I have to sort before we start I've got pictures in 3 different places. I was going to dump everything together and then sort but there are too many to do that.

Traveling :car:

Since my traveling started on Monday the 11th, I thought I’d do my first post on the travel days from driving on the 11th to arrival at MCO on the 12th. I will later do an arrival day! Thought I'd start off short for my first post though.

I left my house in South Central PA around 7:30pm, after eating, because I didn’t want to get stuck in traffic. Thankfully, no real traffic on Route 15, next to one lane being completely closed in Gettysburg (Like it ALWAYS IS.:crazy2:) And no real traffic on 270. So, all in all, a good drive down to Silver Spring, got into his house around 9:15pm. However in his neighborhood someone was behind me and kept flashing their lights at me. My thought was:
Who is this crazy person flashing their lights at me following me through this maze of a neighborhood?​
Followed by:
Oh my goodness I’m going to die.
After arriving, I found out it was Kenny’s mom… Haha. :laughing:

We attached our luggage tags for the magical express and tried to fall asleep after watching some x-files around 11:30pm! However, drinking two glasses of water and being excited about going to Disney didn’t end well for me, and I was up about every hour. And then! Brrriinngggg! 5:30am came around and we were up getting ready for our flight!

We left around 6:00am, Kenny got us lost at the airport, and finally got us to the parking lot we park in. It’s a Fast Park one in the BWI area. They’re really great. If you have one in your area you should definitely check it out. Once getting through security with no hassle but a loooonggg line, we stopped at breakfast at the Silver Diner. So good, I ended up getting French toast, and Kenny got pancakes. Forgot to take pictures! Sorry :(

Our flight left at 10:35am, and we got boarding spots A29 and A30, and we arrived in MCO at 12:40pm! It was overall an okay flight, I didn't sleep much like I had hoped to so I was pretty tired when we landed. I also got a window seat, Kenny took the middle. After that, we got lost in the airport trying to find Magical Express (accidently went to the A side), but we boarded the bus, and with stops at Art of Animation, and Pop Century, we were off to Animal Kingdom Lodge! :cool1:

animal-kingdom-lodge-00-full.jpg

Photo courtesy of Disney

MCO, especially when looking for DME, is totally confusing! Ok, so you have a 50% chance to being in the right spot...but if you're wrong, you have to go back upstairs and all the way over, then down again to the correct location. You're in Orlando. Why aren't there HUGE signs pointing people towards the Disney stuff?? :)

Sounds like your travels went without any major hitches, though, which is always good!

Ha that's creepy that you thought some weirdo was following you...you must watch a lot of crime shows like I do lol...(or X-files...LOVE THAT SHOW...did you hear it's coming back?) Anyway...a pretty smooth travel day it seems. I hope that the DME isn't too hard to find at MCO...I've never taken it....Your breakfast sounded tasty!!

However in his neighborhood someone was behind me and kept flashing their lights at me. My thought was:​
Who is this crazy person flashing their lights at me following me through this maze of a neighborhood?​
Followed by:
Oh my goodness I’m going to die.
After arriving, I found out it was Kenny’s mom… Haha. :laughing:

:rotfl: I would have been the same! I've seen Urban Legends! ::yes::
Very glad you weren't murdered! :thumbsup2 Especially since it was before you got to Disney :lmao:

Hey!!! Following along! If any wait to hear all about it!

I took exactly zero pictures of food on my trip! Oh well!! Trip reports don't NEED food pictures :)

So far looks like your off to a good start. I'm telling you if I thought someone was following me I would have gone a different way, or pulled in to a drive way! I watch to many crime shows, just like @KathyM2 said!

You're in Orlando. Why aren't there HUGE signs pointing people towards the Disney stuff??
Thats exactly what Kenny and I said! I mean the minute you get to the 1st floor of B side you run into a sign for ME. Why aren't they are on the 3rd floor too?! :sad2:

or X-files...LOVE THAT SHOW...did you hear it's coming back?)
Yes! Actually, thats the reason I started watching it. I've only see a couple episodes from when I was little. So now that for once I'm not taking classes during the summer and studying for GREs maybe I can catch up!

I hope that the DME isn't too hard to find at MCO
Just make sure you go to the B side instead of the A side! :D

Especially since it was before you got to Disney
:rotfl:
Yeah, it would just be depressing if it happened before disney!

'm telling you if I thought someone was following me I would have gone a different way, or pulled in to a drive way!
His parent's neighborhood is in a wooded area (sounds weird being close to DC), and I just chalked it up to someone going to a house before his dead end street. When I pulled into his parent's driveway I was gonna tell him that I thought someone was following me, but the first thing he blurted out was that his mom was right behind me.

Arrival Day / Downtown Disney / Cookes of Dublin

We arrived at the resort around 2:00pm, we had some wait for the bus but over all it wasn’t too long. After getting off the bus we were greeted by a cast member outside, who then took us up to the club-level check in on the 6th floor. While I did the whole check in stuff, Kenny got food and this amazing lemonade from the club level offerings. Then it was off to our room!

Like I said earlier, we were in room 4233 on the Kudu trail of AKL.

20150512_143345_zps91qbgf7x.jpg

When we first got into our room, no animals we out. Which was sort of disheartening because we thought it might be like that all week, but then again it was during a really hot part of the afternoon. After checking out our room, we headed to the bus stop and went to DTD for lunch. We decided to eat at Cookes of Dublin, and that was a great choice I think! It was delicious. I got the beef and lamb pie, and Kenny got the fish n’ chips sandwich.
20150512_155348_zpslkjjbblj.jpg

Beef and Lamb pie at Cookes of Dublin

2015-05-12%2015.53.52_zpsv0csmc8b.jpg

Fish and Chips Sandwich at Cookes of Dublin
For dessert, because we were using QS credits, we just got a pack of chocolate chip and short bread cookies. I have to say, the short bread cookies were pretty good. The chocolate chip was pretty standard. I think Cookes is a place we will definitely go back to someday. I really enjoyed the pie, the crust was nice and flakey (I’m a sucker for good crusts on any type of pie). And the chips/fries, were really good too! Nice and crunchy on the outside and potatoe-y on the inside!

After a delicious and much needed lunch (I was starting to get cranky before eating) we headed to the shops. Our first stop: The Lego Store! Kenny really likes the Architecture series of Legos. He did end up buying one that was new, and cheaper at the Lego store than on Amazon (he had to check it while we were IN the store :rolleyes:). We then headed to the World of Disney and then Basin, where I bought a bar of soap for myself, and one for my mom. For my mom, I bought the vanilla scented Mickey soap. For myself, I bought some flowery Mickey soap.

To end our DTD adventure for this day, we walked through the Market Place Co-Op, and then grabbed a margarita at Dockside Margaritas.
c52d3d8d-f3b1-4183-90f5-499470a4c89e_zpsfb1frlsh.jpg

Sunset Margarita at Dockside Margaritas in DTD

I got the Sunset Margarita, which was pretty good! We shared it though, Kenny wasn’t in much of a drinking mood that day. We both aren’t big beer fans. And, Dockside Margaritas has a very nice sitting area. Very relaxing! :-)

And right before leaving we stopped at Goofy’s Candy Company! We both made rice krispy treats. On mine I got it dipped in milk chocolate, with peanut butter chips and crushed oreos on it, with a milk chocolate drizzle. Kenny got his dipped in milk chocolate, with crushed some-type of candy (it might have been butterfingers?) and then a milk chocolate drizzle. Then back to the hotel for some exploration of the hotel and a much needed nap!

Arrival Night will be coming soon! Stay Tuned! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter