Age for Dolphin Swim

DDinGA

Earning My Ears
I am contemplating a trip to DC and Sea World in early April for my family. My son will be approx 7 1/2, my daughter almost 13. I was wondering if son would get full enjoyment or if I should wait another year.

Also, what is the weather like there in early April.

Thanks in advance :)

The min age is 6. Yes, your son will have a great time now.
Go on the www.discoverycove.com web site and let him see everything. If he's excited, then go.
Weather averages can be found here.
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USFL0372_f.html
You never know, there could be a freak cold snap, but even on those days, it usually warms up in the afternoon. I've been to IOA in Feb and went on all the water rides. During that month, lows are usually 55 going up to 75 in the afternoon, so April will be no problem.

Thanks for the reply robvia. :)

I just found out that the height requirement for Kraken is 54". DS is approx 52" now, probably won't grow 2 inches in 4 months so how important is it to wait until he can ride?

You never know when the growth spurt will happen.
Buy big basketball shoes, have him wear thick socks, and put toilet paper at the bottom before going on that ride, he he. There are bathrooms next to Kraken/JTA.
I wouldn't base the entire trip on Kraken, it's a great coaster, but only one ride. Whereas, the memories from DC will last forever. Plus he can ride JTA, feed dolphins, and see all the other animal attractions. I once spent over $40 letting my daughter feed the dolphins at SWF in the Key West area.
You'll probably come back next year to visit IOA/USF, and the kid will make the height requirements by then.
If you're ready to visit DC this year, then go for it.
Here's my TR from 2001. We're thinking of going back this year in July. Staying at the Renaissance is the best.
http://home.attbi.com/~robvia/SeaWorld1.htm

Your son will love DC, we went last August and our youngest was 6 and a half, and although he was cold in the water with the dolphins he really enjoyed it and constantly talks about akai (he even bought home a plush dolphin that wriggles and makes dolphin sounds which he takes to bed every night). I would recomend that you go for the full length wet suit for the dolphin swim and chnge it for a vest afterwards. We hope to take the boys again next year when we visit Florida, but will keep an eye out for any discounts etc....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter