Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Anyone else lost down the rabbit hole with Airmles new Travel accommodations site?
Looks like accommodations (hotel room) has the taxes and fees included via payment through Airmiles and can not be paid separate ,,,unless I am reading this wrong.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Interesting development. I'm glad they are including the taxes and fees in the amount charged to your AM. When I booked with them this spring the agency they arranged the hotel through charged them all inclusively. They charged me the full amount in AM and then added on the taxes and fees. In effect I paid the taxes and fees twice. Not happy but not sure how to argue the point with them so I let it go.

Are the prices competitive with what you can book independently?

Sorry you got stuck paying double taxes and fees Ottawamom.
For me it means cutting down from a longer trip to a shorter one as it has increased the necessary airmiles needed.
Every 100$ in taxes and fees adds up to a 1,000 more Airmiles ,,now in the past that was fine but at the rate I can earn Airmiles now this is never going to happen.
There are also no Universal Orlando resorts turning up at all.😞 (Maybe as time goes on that will change).
Time to rethink this.
Hugs Mel

Anyone else lost down the rabbit hole with Airmles new Travel accommodations site?
Looks like accommodations (hotel room) has the taxes and fees included via payment through Airmiles and can not be paid separate ,,,unless I am reading this wrong.

Hugs Mel
Ugh, no I had not until now. LOL It's getting hard getting airmiles here since we can't collect at Safeway. We have a metro and I don't understand why we can't get them at our Metro now. I'm only earning on my AM MC. I get a lot more points from Optimum. I'd rather focus on those as they are easier to use towards groceries, then take that grocery $$ and put it into a travel fund or Disney GCs.
Collecting AM isn't fun anymore. Too much thinking and planning and not as rewarding as the pickle days! LOL

The site seems to mention something about using miles and cash to pay for a room. I haven't looked too closely yet but that might be an option if you're short on the miles.

Select a payment preference:

Dream Miles
Use Dream Miles™ to cover 50% or more of your booking to unlock exclusive collector deals and additional savings.

Credit Card
Get the best available rate and earn Reward Miles™ like never before when you pay with your credit card.

If you go into doing a ghost booking and you select your room there is a sliding scale where you can decide how many AM to apply to your reservation (684 in my example is the minimum).

1688303404552.png

1. Fees: A mandatory hotel-imposed fee of 6.21 CAD per room will be charged and collected by the hotel either at check-in or check-out. This fee is not included in your package price and is subject to change.
This popped up in the TC, so there are still extra fees at some hotels. Make sure to read the fine points.

Last edited:
The site seems to mention something about using miles and cash to pay for a room. I haven't looked too closely yet but that might be an option if you're short on the miles.

Select a payment preference:

Dream Miles
Use Dream Miles™ to cover 50% or more of your booking to unlock exclusive collector deals and additional savings.

Credit Card
Get the best available rate and earn Reward Miles™ like never before when you pay with your credit card.

If you go into doing a ghost booking and you select your room there is a sliding scale where you can decide how many AM to apply to your reservation (684 in my example is the minimum).

View attachment 773660

1. Fees: A mandatory hotel-imposed fee of 6.21 CAD per room will be charged and collected by the hotel either at check-in or check-out. This fee is not included in your package price and is subject to change.
This popped up in the TC, so there are still extra fees at some hotels. Make sure to read the fine points.
Ahhh I didn't see that.... I shall attempt a few pretend bookings and see what I can come up with.
Thanks ever so much Hon. :flower:
Mel

What would an iPhone case and gym totes fall under in the July Amazon categories?

I do @Donald - my hero 's trick. Add to wishlist, then go into your wishlist and click on it and when it returns you to the same listing, see what category it falls in. It hasn't not worked for me yet.

The gym bag you posted yesterday came up as Sports and Recreation I believe. Cell phone cases usually under electronics.

I was looking for a wire shelving rack earlier this year, some were listed under "Outdoor/garage" (something like that) and others under "Kitchen" although same quality that I was looking for. "Kitchen" was one of the monthly categories at the time so I purchased the one under "Kitchen" and received the points.

FINALLY...I've got the Shell Go+ offer back on under my 'new' account number. I've got 50 miles for 2 fill ups or 100 for a 3rd fill up. Naturally, DD and myself both got gas on June 30th....I absolutely couldn't wait but had I known I could have just gotten a splash.

On the up side I did also go to Metro on Friday so I will get the 100? for the weekend thing...Shell and Metro. Now I need a few things from Amazon but likely nothing that will even get me 1 mile.

There are also no Universal Orlando resorts turning up at all.😞 (Maybe as time goes on that will change).
Time to rethink this.
Hugs Mel
I was just on the Universal Orlando website looking for hotel rooms for next April. They (Universal) are not showing anything yet past December 31. When I looked January was all crossed out and the calendar wouldn't advance past that. I guess we both need more patience.

Correct but if you use the standard conversion $ to AM you'll have a good idea how many you need. Depending on how far into 2024 you are travelling it would be good to wait to book. There may be some great deals on rooms etc in the new year if the economy take a downwards turn.

Correct but if you use the standard conversion $ to AM you'll have a good idea how many you need. Depending on how far into 2024 you are travelling it would be good to wait to book. There may be some great deals on rooms etc in the new year if the economy take a downwards turn.
I'm hoping for some Canadian Residency Tickets again at Disney. They've rolled out some room discounts and the bounce back offers again, I'm crossing my fingers that will come back! We need 9 in January!

We desperately need new suitcases - everything from the monster-sized one to our carry-ons. They've travelled a lot and sitting on the luggage-trains on the tarmac during 2 freezing rain storms, plus this year's snow storm has taken a toll.

A quick glance at the included categories for Amazon shows LUGGAGE is there. Several that are in my wish list are already showing decent discounts but I know more will pop up during Prime Days. I just looked at both accounts for last year's results and one card pulled in 130 while the other had 12 PLUS both had the 25 "sorry" miles added due to a glitch in the system that had many people not getting credited for shopping at all.

Get your lists ready and your fingers flexed, the countdown is on!

1688493185939.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter