Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Just searching flights on AMs and I am confused. Are taxes and fees included in the AM amount? I thought you had to pay taxes and fees separately however when I key in all my info, it looks as if they are included. Anyone know how I should be reading this? TIA
i don't think you'll like the answer any more than hubby and i do - yes, to BOTH!!!
they take the bottom line from the airline website and convert it (including taxes and fees) to airmiles and then you pay taxes and fees AGAIN! you are paying those things twice since you can't use rewards to pay taxes. The same goes for car rentals now. Don't know if it's always been like that and I just turned a blind eye.
When I booked my flight to Orlando on porter the base fare was just over $100 plus the $120 in taxes so we could have used miles and then paid an extra $240 OR pay Porter $400-ish. We decided paying directly to porter and maintaining control over the flight was worth the extra (plus why give the government the tax TWICE ?!)

It used to add up to more or less what the Airline website showed. Give or take a few dollars. I haven't had the nerve to take a booking past the initial step since the new website came out. Not sure how many steps I can go through and back out of it all before my account and card get charged.

This is certainly a game changer for me also. I'll just pay out of pocket for the flights and I"ll use miles to pay for park tickets and hotels at Universal.

Last edited:
I've been looking at flights through AM....and hotels too. I'm really not liking what I see. The site seems wonky. It constantly says something across the top of the page about experiencing technical issues (or something like that) and the fees seem higher than before. I tried to click though to the point of adding passenger info and it won't go ahead. It says I don't have enough AM....mean while I've got enough to buy the tickets I want plus 60 more. I also looked at all inclusive packages and they are all significantly higher prices.

I've been looking at flights to squeeze in another long weekend in FL. I wanted to make it a cheap trip by using miles for flights and maybe the hotel. The whole idea is giving me a headache, between DH having far too many work conflicts and my own work issues. Then toss American thanksgiving right in the middle of when I'm free to go....well not really free but I'm gonna figure it out. I just really wanted to go see WDW Christmas stuff again...DD and I went in 2019 and said it was going to be an annual event.

Count me as another who isn't impressed with the new hotel booking site, I have not gone far enough to book anything on there yet but it just is not user friendly. I haven't even looked at flight bookings since I booked for March. I did like that it would let me choose the "class" of ticket at that time, but I didn't end up booking them through AM.

Terrible. I had a personal shopper quote a few weeks back for a one day disney ticket. When compared to the disney website price, and giving a 1.40 conversion, I got about 10 cents per point then. Now I don't need personal shopper but it's at 9 cents per point; AND I am ignoring their new value allocation where they are stating the ticket is valued at $270 when its only $240 max with 1.40 exchange.

Now idea where they are getting that new value. So if I used that $270 value that would make it 8 cents per point...

Count me as another who isn't impressed with the new hotel booking site, I have not gone far enough to book anything on there yet but it just is not user friendly. I haven't even looked at flight bookings since I booked for March. I did like that it would let me choose the "class" of ticket at that time, but I didn't end up booking them through AM.
I’m not impressed with the hotel site either. You can’t search hotels by city, only airport so if you’re going somewhere without an airport close by then you can’t search there.

Canada's Wonderland WinterFest.NzpDV1dGRVNUMjM6aW1hZ2U6ZW4tQ0E6dGhpcmQ.png
This photo caught my eye ,,,lol.
https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...derland-winterfest---admission-for-one/220976

355 Dream Miles

Canada’s Wonderland transforms into a magical, winter wonderland for WinterFest – an immersive holiday experience for the whole family. This event features ice-skating on Snow Flake Lake, more than a dozen live shows and holiday entertainment, exciting rides, millions of spectacular lights, and hundreds of beautiful Christmas trees throughout the park, including two 50-foot Christmas trees on International Street.

Terms & Conditions​

Valid for one (1) entry only, on any one regular WinterFest operating date. WinterFest runs for select dates between November 17, 2023 - January 6, 2024. Park operating dates and hours vary, check the website for full details

Canada's Wonderland WinterFest.View attachment 808584
This photo caught my eye ,,,lol.
https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...derland-winterfest---admission-for-one/220976

355 Dream Miles

Canada’s Wonderland transforms into a magical, winter wonderland for WinterFest – an immersive holiday experience for the whole family. This event features ice-skating on Snow Flake Lake, more than a dozen live shows and holiday entertainment, exciting rides, millions of spectacular lights, and hundreds of beautiful Christmas trees throughout the park, including two 50-foot Christmas trees on International Street.

Terms & Conditions​

Valid for one (1) entry only, on any one regular WinterFest operating date. WinterFest runs for select dates between November 17, 2023 - January 6, 2024. Park operating dates and hours vary, check the website for full details
I will have to check with my Sister and see if she wants to go.
Thanks for the post

Off topic - looking for a new couch. I'm down to this one, it comes with chaise or with storage ottoman. Which do you think would be better? For naps and watching TV, and having up to 4 cats and a dog sit there with me lol.
imageimage

O/T Just Sharing
My Granddaughters Advent Calendar
I bought this at the end of Christmas shopping season last year and sealed it away. ($10)
Advent pillow calendar.
I am going to use these little envelopes I picked up at Amazon.
I will write my Granddaughter a little *love note* ,,, you know like *You are the sunshine of my soul* in each pocket with a $5 bill.
I sat up last night writing the notes out.

I think she will like it.

hannah1.jpg

minxmascards1.jpg

Hugs Mel
:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

Last edited:
Off topic - looking for a new couch. I'm down to this one, it comes with chaise or with storage ottoman. Which do you think would be better? For naps and watching TV, and having up to 4 cats and a dog sit there with me lol.
View attachment 808751View attachment 808752
I would go for the one where you can put the ottoman at either side ,,now maybe the one with one long cushion is reversible too?
Also my 3 sons loved our set similar to this one and they loved the one long section to stretch out on.
Nice set Hon!:love:
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
I would go for the one where you can put the ottoman at either side ,,now maybe the one with one long cushion is reversible too?
Also my 3 sons loved our set similar to this one and they loved the one long section to stretch out on.
Nice set Hon!:love:
Hugs Mel
The chaise is reversible! You can put it on either side. That's why it's so hard to decide lol. I think the chaise offers more space for the pets to fit, but the ottoman has storage! It is modular so you can add seats, or change the configuration. I would like to order soon so it can get delivered before we go away in December. I've been thinking about it all summer but they just came out with the chaise, and put storage in the ottoman. So it paid to wait, but now I can't decide what to get lol. I'm leaning chaise, as you say, for stretching out on.

View attachment 808751View attachment 808752

We had one that looked like the top picture. The chaise is reversible and when we replaced the couch a few years ago, we took this one into the office where it still is!

I'd like the ottoman for storage and the ability to move it around as another seat if you have extra people visiting. I'm not a chaise person, though. DD has one in her house and unless I want to nap, I don't sit there. I don't have pets, though, and that might be the deciding factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter