Airmiles Armchair Chatter

YUP, just opened the Reebee flyers and POOF there it is!! Also of note is Astro Yogurt tubs $2.49 buy 3 get 50 AM

So stop at a Foodland & pick up a $150 giftcard, snag 150 AM, then hit up a Sobeys and buy some milk & frozen stuff with the giftcard to score MORE AM! We're headed up to Orillia to see our son & his wife on Friday so no Sobeys shopping, but we will find a Foodland :rolleyes1

Of course we will find a store for you

Orillia Foodland

Address: 80 Fittons Rd E, Orillia, ON L3V 7A1
Hours:
Open today · Phone: (705) 325-9072

Foodland Orillia
Telephone: 705-426-9061

I know you probably already have this bookmarked,lol
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
So these Foodland gift cards will work at Sobey's?

And AMEX won't know/doesn't care that the $150 charge from Foodland is for a gift certificate and not groceries?

Out of curiosity... how many gift cards is everyone planning on getting?

Last edited:
I wonder if I'll be able to find a Foodland on Wednesday (payday). I won't be able to afford $150 before then... Oh, kiddo has floor hockey for two hours Wednesday's now so I may have time to drive out to somewhere and do that... hmm...

Anybody know if Onyx levels gets any discount on WDW tickets? I'm assuming not, but I'm getting ready to buy tickets (and am anxious to get them before the Canadian resident tickets disappear and price goes up), but I won't be upgraded to Onyx until Sunday. I'll wait if there's a discount, buy today if there isn't.

And AMEX won't know/doesn't care that the $150 charge from Foodland is for a gift certificate and not groceries?

The Foodland cards work at Sobey's and FreshCo. That makes them a better deal for me than a lot of other items! FreshCo is cheaper and price matches, so I'll use the cards for AM related items at Sobey's/Foodland, and my regular grocery shops at FreshCo.

Last edited:
The Foodland cards work at Sobey's and FreshCo. That makes them a better deal for me than a lot of other items! FreshCo is cheaper and price matches, so I'll use the cards for AM related items at Sobey's/Foodland, and my regular grocery shops at FreshCo.

Great, thank you!! There's a FreshCo so much closer to me than Sobey's and Foodland. That will work very well then.

Anybody know if Onyx levels gets any discount on WDW tickets? I'm assuming not, but I'm getting ready to buy tickets (and am anxious to get them before the Canadian resident tickets disappear and price goes up), but I won't be upgraded to Onyx until Sunday. I'll wait if there's a discount, buy today if there isn't.
Nope, we do get discounts on Merchandise and on occasion there are special events that will need 1 AM. Recently they have offered Cirque tickets, movie night out, Wonderland tickets, concert in Toronto etc.

The CDN resident tickets are gone for all but the child's 5 & 7 day for WDW. The adult tickets and children for DisneyLAND are "regular" again and yup, HUGE jump in miles needed to "buy" them now!

Has anyone seen the 150 bonus miles from Air Miles Shops for two $20 transactions in August?

I have the base miles posted for transactions on August 9 and 17, but no 150 bonus.

Has anyone seen the 150 bonus miles from Air Miles Shops for two $20 transactions in August?

I have the base miles posted for transactions on August 9 and 17, but no 150 bonus.

No, and I have been wondering about those! I guess it was going to be posted within 30 days from end of the shopping period, so should be by this weekend?

Last edited:
Nope, we do get discounts on Merchandise and on occasion there are special events that will need 1 AM. Recently they have offered Cirque tickets, movie night out, Wonderland tickets, concert in Toronto etc.

The CDN resident tickets are gone for all but the child's 5 & 7 day for WDW. The adult tickets and children for DisneyLAND are "regular" again and yup, HUGE jump in miles needed to "buy" them now!

Thanks! Yeah I knew the adult Cdn. resident tickets were gone, and the child ones disappeared for a day a couple of weeks ago, so I was worried about losing those. Thanks for the confirm on the Onyx. I've gone ahead and bought the childrens' ones! (Waiting on the adults, as trying to figure out if my miles are better spent elsewhere and buying my own ticket out of pocket).

To be posted by November 25

Offer valid from August 1 - September 11, 2017. Get 150 AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases of $20 CDN or more, excluding shipping, duty and taxes made at 2 or more different participating online stores. Collectors must sign in at airmilesshops.ca before purchasing in order to get the Offer. Offer is cumulative on purchases made at all participating online stores. Offer is valid on the purchase of gift cards only at online stores who regularly offer Miles on gift card purchases. Offer does not apply to purchases made at Texture by Next Issue, or made at travel online stores (including travel bookings, car rentals, and hotels). Miles will be posted to your Collector Account within 75 days post offer period.

To be posted by November 25

Offer valid from August 1 - September 11, 2017. Get 150 AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases of $20 CDN or more, excluding shipping, duty and taxes made at 2 or more different participating online stores. Collectors must sign in at airmilesshops.ca before purchasing in order to get the Offer. Offer is cumulative on purchases made at all participating online stores. Offer is valid on the purchase of gift cards only at online stores who regularly offer Miles on gift card purchases. Offer does not apply to purchases made at Texture by Next Issue, or made at travel online stores (including travel bookings, car rentals, and hotels). Miles will be posted to your Collector Account within 75 days post offer period.

Thanks! I couldn't remember the specifics. Guess I won't worry for awhile yet. :-)

I didn't see anything in the fine print that excluded gift cards, although I could have missed something.

Does anyone know if food land offers Best Buy gift cards? I don't think I have ever pursued their gift card section and I need those for Christmas so that would be a win.

ETA-I just realized it's buy a Foodland gift card, not buy a gift card from food land. Here I was thinking any gift card. Lol.

Last edited:
I'm having a complete and total brain fart like I'm looking at a word I use every day and it looks weird. Except that I'm figuring out AM redemption value. I swear I have done this before many times, and I know how to do this!

I have to pay for 1 Adult WDW ticket, one night at a hotel near the airport, and one car rental and I don't have enough points for all of them, so trying to figure out where my best "value" is for the Air miles, and which I should pay out of pocket and I'm being an idiot and can't figure it out.

Park ticket is $367.95 or 4695 AM
Hotel is $159 or 1470 AM
Car is $328 or 1340 AM

Where should I spend my miles??!!

I'm having a complete and total brain fart like I'm looking at a word I use every day and it looks weird. Except that I'm figuring out AM redemption value. I swear I have done this before many times, and I know how to do this!

I have to pay for 1 Adult WDW ticket, one night at a hotel near the airport, and one car rental and I don't have enough points for all of them, so trying to figure out where my best "value" is for the Air miles, and which I should pay out of pocket and I'm being an idiot and can't figure it out.

Park ticket is $367.95 or 4695 AM
Hotel is $159 or 1470 AM
Car is $328 or 1340 AM

Where should I spend my miles??!!

Park tickets on AM: 4695/95*10 = $494.20
Hotel on AM: 1470/95*10 = $154.70
Car on AM: 1340/95*10 = $141.10

By these calculations (and I *may* be wrong here, it has been a long week so far!), it seems as though the car is the best use of your Airmiles, followed by the hotel and lastly, the park tickets.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will jump in an correct me if I have messed up! :o

Forgot to ask, are the $ amounts you listed in US$ or CAD$?

Last edited:
Reactions: ngm
Thanks! I was thinking that was the order I would do it.

All the $ figures were in USD (to be consistent with the comparison).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter