• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV question

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
If all AKV members are getting 2007 points, how will the resort not be oversold for the first four months?

My guess is that I'm missing the obvious answer... :confused:

MG

it opens in July....instead of Sept?

all kidding aside

the use year is June, 2007 to June, 2008 - not many people will want to go in Sept - now Oct/Nov/Dec will be popular. but some will definitely want to go during spring break and next summer of 2008.

always with DVC it is get that reservation at soon as possible. then YOU won't be disappointed.

it opens in July....instead of Sept?

all kidding aside

the use year is June, 2007 to June, 2008 - not many people will want to go in Sept - now Oct/Nov/Dec will be popular. but some will definitely want to go during spring break and next summer of 2008.

always with DVC it is get that reservation at soon as possible. then YOU won't be disappointed.
Spicey, the resort opens in September. That leaves four months in 2007 for all Members to use 2007 points.
Someone with a February use year will have five months to use those points before they get a fresh load, so early use years may try to use them in late 2007 for the holidays.

It seems like the points sold for 2007 usage will far outnumber points available in 2007.

Again, I may be missing the big picture... ;)

MG

We have an April use year so we will have 7 months to use our 2007 points if we purchase. I am planning on banking mine to use in early April 2008 if we purchase. My guide did say yesterday that February and August were getting low for 2007 points. We shall see how it all works out.:)

Spicey, the resort opens in September. That leaves four months in 2007 for all Members to use 2007 points.
It depends on what use year they have as to how long they have to use those points.

Currently only members can purchase, so for the majority of them they are add-on contracts, thus have whatever use year month the member already has.

Someone with a June UY for example, has 9 months to use their 2007 points. (Sep 1, 2007 to May 31, 2008).

Basically, I suspect villas will open before they are all sold. Those unsold units could be used by those who have points now, rather than just sitting empty until they are sold and then someone gets points.

I was thinking that same thing. Unfortunately, the time I want to use my point for is the week after Thanksgiving. You better believe I'll be one of those early callers on May 16th!! If I can't get anything for November, I'll probably bank my '07 points and use them for our March trip combined with '08 points. We have a March use year.

It depends on what use year they have as to how long they have to use those points.

Currently only members can purchase, so for the majority of them they are add-on contracts, thus have whatever use year month the member already has.

Someone with a June UY for example, has 9 months to use their 2007 points. (Sep 1, 2007 to May 31, 2008).

Basically, I suspect villas will open before they are all sold. Those unsold units could be used by those who have points now, rather than just sitting empty until they are sold and then someone gets points.
True about longer than 4 months, but aren't they still selling points for the entire year when only a portion of the year is available? Won't it throw things out of balance at some point down the line?.
Your last point about unsold villas is one possible way out that I can figure.
Is it also possible for DVC to "cover" these points through Disney Collection trades and such?

MG

They can still be used at other resorts too, as long as it is after September 1.

Two answers, one is developer owned points that cover after opening in addition to the developer points for use prior to openin. The other is what has been referenced above, that not everyone will have the points from the opening and that not all points will be used at AKV.

True about longer than 4 months, but aren't they still selling points for the entire year when only a portion of the year is available? Won't it throw things out of balance at some point down the line?.

MG
Yes, but it's no different than any other resort when first sold.

Even today, if you bought SSR and had a June UY for example, you'd get full 2006 points even though there's only 3+ months left in that particular Use Year. That's only a portion of the year also, just like AKV is just a portion of the year for those buying there.

This has been true for every resort as it sold so whatever they do, I presume it'll be the same for AKV.

I'm sure it's a balancing act of some kind...:goodvibes

How does it work for December use years? They get AKV points in December '07 so can't use them to make a booking come May? Unless they borrow or look for a Dec booking, right?

I've asked this before, but it was "late" in a threads life, and I didn't get an answer.

New DVC member, who buys AKV points. They are, say, April 08 points.

Can that brand new member BORROW the April '08 points for use in Jan of '08...or does the members first points have to "hit" before any banking/borrowing can be done?

I've asked this before, but it was "late" in a threads life, and I didn't get an answer.

Can that brand new member BORROW the April '08 points for use in Jan of '08...or does the members first points have to "hit" before any banking/borrowing can be done?

I believe you can borrow your points. My use year is October, my guide told me I can borrow my points for reservations in September.

I'd say the first checkpoint that would have to pass is for the unit this member owns to be added to DVC inventory. You cannot begin to use points while the unit that you physically own is still under construction. If these April '08 points are attached to a unit that will not be available to guests until, say, April 1, 2008, then the points cannot be used at ANY resort until that unit occupancy date.

If the unit will be ready for occupancy before 4/1/08, then the owner should be able to borrow the points.

I'd say the first checkpoint that would have to pass is for the unit this member owns to be added to DVC inventory. You cannot begin to use points while the unit that you physically own is still under construction. If these April '08 points are attached to a unit that will not be available to guests until, say, April 1, 2008, then the points cannot be used at ANY resort until that unit occupancy date.

If the unit will be ready for occupancy before 4/1/08, then the owner should be able to borrow the points.

Thanks! That's the best explanation I could have hoped for!

I'll talk to our guide when we buy. Our greatest "worry" is that, by the time the AKV points go up to the general public, there will be no '07 UY points...and we REALLY want to travel in Jan of '08. So I'll talk to our guide to see if we can make that happen, even if we get a later use year, by purchasing into a unit that's already "available", if possible.

Again, thanks!

You can borrow the points, the questions is WHEN can you do so. Prior to SSR you had to be closed to borrow points. With SSR they did allow new members to borrow prior to closing.

I have a feeling that the lines will be very busy at 7am on May 16th. I know I will be one of the callers, and it will be 6am my time. Yikes! I'm only a morning person when it comes to booking DVC vacations.:) :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter