AKV = SSR All Over Again?

ExRIGuy

Earning My Ears
I spoke with a CM today. She said AKV will eventually be larger than SSR, and that the site was chosen because of the amount of land available. I see all the excitement and can't help but wonder if this is SSR all over? A few Savannah view rooms, a few rooms in the main lodge (the both of which everyone who calls to book will request) and then a huge spread out resort with tons of rooms not near anything or viewing anything. Is Animal Kingdom a bigger draw than DTD if you are not able to look out at the Savannah or be in the lodge?

Thoughts?

I thought I'd read that 80% of the rooms would be considered Savannah view.

In phase I maybe, but how can this be larger than SSR and 80% Savannah view? I'd ask a lot of questions if I were buying . . .

I thought I'd read that 80% of the rooms would be considered Savannah view.

Due to the fact that the North wing of the Contemporary is now being Physically torn down to make way for another DVC property, I highly doubt that they are planning on adding to the original planned AKLV. Cast Members are notorious for wild rumors.

I spoke with a CM today. She said AKV will eventually be larger than SSR, and that the site was chosen because of the amount of land available. I see all the excitement and can't help but wonder if this is SSR all over? A few Savannah view rooms, a few rooms in the main lodge (the both of which everyone who calls to book will request) and then a huge spread out resort with tons of rooms not near anything or viewing anything. Is Animal Kingdom a bigger draw than DTD if you are not able to look out at the Savannah or be in the lodge?

Thoughts?

I could see this happening. The one thing that would need to happen is that sales would have to be really good. Some reason I think sales will start strong and then fizzle.

The location really stinks and that might be a deal breaker for many. As for SSR, that resort has many good views, DTD, Water, gardens, etc.

They will build as many units as they can sell quickly.

I agree. I think some folks are thinking that Disney abandoned their SSR business model for AKV. I suspect not, and I could certainly see AKV being a huge resort on land otherwise useless, in the middle of nowhere. Take SSR type buildings and cover them with sticks and grass. What a great and profitable idea.

I could see this happening. The one thing that would need to happen is that sales would have to be really good. Some reason I think sales will start strong and then fizzle.

The location really stinks and that might be a deal breaker for many. As for SSR, that resort has many good views, DTD, Water, gardens, etc.

They will build as many units as they can sell quickly.

And don't take anything I have said here as a knock on SSR: I am a very happy owner at SSR and I feel the landscaping and buildings and furnishings are top notch. And I love the DTD proximity.

Your "middle of nowhere" is my "lovely themed resort with loads of opportunities to watch animals", so I'd say it's not accurate to refer to AKL as such a poor destination. I've happily watched a camera on a private African game reserve for about an hour this morning - seeing giraffe, elephants, monkeys, antelope and gazelles - so I'm always thrilled to see the real thing at AKL. And I'd be sure to reserve the category of room I wanted to make that a possibility.

As far as being in the middle of nowhere, I don't always need walking access to a theme park to enjoy a DVC stay. I always have a car and much prefer to use it for most of my travel over the bus system, so where my resort is located isn't really a concern.

SSR does nothing for me personally, but it's a lovely resort. I think the AKL and the new DVC property there will also be big draws.

Well, of course everyone has a personal preference.

But, if I were forecasting things from the "average buyers" perspective (someone who doesn't watch web cams of African game reserves): AKV will offer a chance to see animals, when they are not hiding or out of view, and during the day only. How much time does that take for most folks with young kids? Many folks don't get back to the room until night has fallen, and they hustle out in a hurry in the morning. SSR, by contrast, is next to where many folks want to be at night, when they are normally in their room -- DTD.

I'm not knocking AKV, just trying to ensure people make informed rational choices.

Your "middle of nowhere" is my "lovely themed resort with loads of opportunities to watch animals", so I'd say it's not accurate to refer to AKL as such a poor destination. I've happily watched a camera on a private African game reserve for about an hour this morning - seeing giraffe, elephants, monkeys, antelope and gazelles - so I'm always thrilled to see the real thing at AKL. And I'd be sure to reserve the category of room I wanted to make that a possibility.

As far as being in the middle of nowhere, I don't always need walking access to a theme park to enjoy a DVC stay. I always have a car and much prefer to use it for most of my travel over the bus system, so where my resort is located isn't really a concern.

SSR does nothing for me personally, but it's a lovely resort. I think the AKL and the new DVC property there will also be big draws.

This doesn't have anything to do with actual DVC operations, but is a discussion of a specific resort, so I am moving it to the Mousecellaneous board.

I had heard before from a Guide that AKV was supposed to be a big resort akin to SSR and OKW. Yet the press release we got planned for about half what SSR has in sheer number of rooms.

They're also supposed to be populating another savannah just for the AKV the way AKL has its own savannah.

I think it'll be popular for its own sake the way OKW has fervent supporters or BWV/BCV and VWL have their contigent. It'll appeal to animal lovers and those wanting a more exotic theme to their vacation and yet also want a peaceful place to relax.

I expect you'll also see more DVC guests using cars instead of relying on the busses. AKL has been notorious for looooong bus trips.

And it'll be imperative to get ressies for Boma's months in advance. :scared1: So many have never been there because they think it's too far out of the way it might as well not be on Disney property.

Many folks don't get back to the room until night has fallen, and they hustle out in a hurry in the morning. SSR, by contrast, is next to where many folks want to be at night, when they are normally in their room -- DTD.
We spend an average of 1-2 hours at DTD each trip. It's just not our thing I guess.

My DH's favorite place to be in the late evening is sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine watching the animals at AKL. We did this every night on our first visit to AKL. The giraffes wandered by our balcony every night around 10pm to snack on the browse the caretakers put out for them at that time of night. It was a magical experience!

Well, of course everyone has a personal preference.

But, if I were forecasting things from the "average buyers" perspective (someone who doesn't watch web cams of African game reserves): AKV will offer a chance to see animals, when they are not hiding or out of view, and during the day only. How much time does that take for most folks with young kids? Many folks don't get back to the room until night has fallen, and they hustle out in a hurry in the morning. SSR, by contrast, is next to where many folks want to be at night, when they are normally in their room -- DTD.

I'm not knocking AKV, just trying to ensure people make informed rational choices.

The savannahs at AKL are designed so that there aren't any "hiding" or "out of view" areas, and the animals are trained to respond to certain "browse" areas - so I think the chances of seeing animals on a fairly regular basis is pretty substantial. Thats' been my experience, at least. And although I thought the animals all went in at night, I was corrected some time ago by people who had watched them during the night as well, by moonlight.

I would suggest that the "family with young kids" isn't going to take advantage of DTD at night, either. They'll be in the room putting those kids to bed no matter where they are.

Both resorts will have a lot to offer, I'm sure, but I think it's much too soon to start drawing definite conclusions about each resort's amenities until we actually see what's going to be built and what's going to be available.

Agreed. I'm gonna have to try AKV and see what it's all about. My only experience so far was watching my kids gag on food at Boma. Lodge was very nice tho.

The savannahs at AKL are designed so that there aren't any "hiding" or "out of view" areas, and the animals are trained to respond to certain "browse" areas - so I think the chances of seeing animals on a fairly regular basis is pretty substantial. Thats' been my experience, at least. And although I thought the animals all went in at night, I was corrected some time ago by people who had watched them during the night as well, by moonlight.

I would suggest that the "family with young kids" isn't going to take advantage of DTD at night, either. They'll be in the room putting those kids to bed no matter where they are.

Both resorts will have a lot to offer, I'm sure, but I think it's much too soon to start drawing definite conclusions about each resort's amenities until we actually see what's going to be built and what's going to be available.

We're another family that would rather be at AKV than SSR. We don't even make it to DTD every trip and have zero interest in the night life there even though all our kids are grown. But enjoying the view of the animals with a glass of wine and a good book...now that's vacation.

But as always, different strokes for different folks and so many flavors of DVC to try!:thumbsup2

Agreed. I'm gonna have to try AKV and see what it's all about. My only experience so far was watching my kids gag on food at Boma. Lodge was very nice tho.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Boma can be an acquired taste for little ones, can't it? Although I seem to remember a chicken fingers/mac and cheese display, too.

It was a really nice day when mine were old enough to go to Jiko for the first time. Now THAT was an amazing dinner at AKL!!! Definitely a highlight of our trip.

I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and the Wilderness Lodge, and the Beach Club, and Hilton Head. Eventually I want enough points to stay in a 2BR for 5 nights at each of them during my preferred season. I'll go to AKL in the spring, Hilton Head in the summer, Beach Club in the fall, and Wilderness Lodge in the winter. I'm glad I have all of these great choices!!!

I think our family needs points at all the resorts!lol We are easy to please at Disney and find that the unique features at each resort are wonderful for people with a variety of different interests.

I am seriously considering AKV because last year my kids and I spent a good portion of time watching the turtles at BCV (and later the alligator) and we loved it. I can only imagine that we'd enjoy sitting on the balcony for hours in the evening watching the animals at AKV! DVC has completely changed the way we vacation and the parks are just not as important now-even to my younger ones. They could spend the day going down the waterslide repeatedly just as well as going to the parks :)

Wow! You're full of positivity aren't you.

My kids have eaten @ Boma several times and never gagged on the basic chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, and pizza. They also liked their soups.

We stayed @ AKL in 2003. We sat on the balcony everynight after putting the kids to bed and watched the wildebeest, giraffes, gazelles, etc. They were not in hiding. My kids also sat on the balcony every morning while DH & I got ready. They ate their breakfast on the balcony as well.

I don't know if we'll be adding on there but I can't wait to stay there sometime.

This doesn't have anything to do with actual DVC operations, but is a discussion of a specific resort, so I am moving it to the Mousecellaneous board.

Chuck, you are soooo mean!!!!:lmao:

BTW, if that is considered a personal attack on a Moderator (60 Points, BTW) I meant to say, Good Job Chuck, you Moderators Rule!!!:love:

-Tony

Here's some stats for you all............

They are renovating the 5th & 6th floor of the Lodge and there will be 134 rooms available.

They will build a "new" DVC resort, next to the Lodge and Theme Park that will have 324 rooms for a total of 458 DVC accomodations.

The size of the DVC will be just shy of the OKW resort (525 rooms).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter