AKV = SSR All Over Again?

This is a great model for DVC to use (as was SSR).
It allows for building and expansion to pace sales. Instead of all the rooms in one large towering facility, they have space and room to build as necessary.

It also means they can sell AKV, stop and sell elsewhere (CRV?) then go back to AKL in the future with expansion.

Its interesting to me, only new construction is DVC, not other resorts. With the growing population I'm surprised that there isn't growing demand for regular accommodations. I guess they have added some value resorts in the past decade and the deluxe resorts are not priced so out of control the demand maybe isn't there anymore. Unfortunate as I have fond memories of staying at the Contemporary (in the north wing funny enough) way back.

Maybe more people purchase points for use from current DVC members as well. Just seems with the growing population and popularity of Disney that even regular resorts would see the demand.

The savannahs at AKL are designed so that there aren't any "hiding" or "out of view" areas, and the animals are trained to respond to certain "browse" areas - so I think the chances of seeing animals on a fairly regular basis is pretty substantial. Thats' been my experience, at least. And although I thought the animals all went in at night, I was corrected some time ago by people who had watched them during the night as well, by moonlight.

I would suggest that the "family with young kids" isn't going to take advantage of DTD at night, either. They'll be in the room putting those kids to bed no matter where they are.

Both resorts will have a lot to offer, I'm sure, but I think it's much too soon to start drawing definite conclusions about each resort's amenities until we actually see what's going to be built and what's going to be available.
You don't need to watch the animals by "moonlight" since Disney does night lighting. Fake moonlight, I'd call it. I love watching the animals first thing int he morning, in the late afternoon, at night when we get back from a long day and we sit on the balcony to unwind... Heck, I just love watching the animals at ANY time.

From the blueprint it looks like the new building will share an existing savannah with the old building. Assuming that the first pretext is true there would still be space on the periphery of the savannahs to put up another building. Other than terrain and stress on the animals I don't see why they couldn't virtually surround the old building with DVC.

Chuck, you are soooo mean!!!!:lmao:

BTW, if that is considered a personal attack on a Moderator (60 Points, BTW) I meant to say, Good Job Chuck, you Moderators Rule!!!:love:

-Tony

I've already got 20 so you won't see me attacking any mods.:rotfl:

This is a great model for DVC to use (as was SSR).
It allows for building and expansion to pace sales. Instead of all the rooms in one large towering facility, they have space and room to build as necessary.

It also means they can sell AKV, stop and sell elsewhere (CRV?) then go back to AKL in the future with expansion.

Its interesting to me, only new construction is DVC, not other resorts. With the growing population I'm surprised that there isn't growing demand for regular accommodations. I guess they have added some value resorts in the past decade and the deluxe resorts are not priced so out of control the demand maybe isn't there anymore. Unfortunate as I have fond memories of staying at the Contemporary (in the north wing funny enough) way back.

Maybe more people purchase points for use from current DVC members as well. Just seems with the growing population and popularity of Disney that even regular resorts would see the demand.

Most of the DVC members were former resort guests. They lose CRO guest every time a new DVC member buys in. Maybe they are slitting their own throats in the long run, who knows. For this reason I don't believe we'll ever see another Deluxe Resort at WDW, time will tell.

We go far more often as DVC members than we would as non DVC members (that darned AP discount and addonitis). I'd think they'd try to get as many DVC members as possible.:confused3

The savannahs at AKL are designed so that there aren't any "hiding" or "out of view" areas, and the animals are trained to respond to certain "browse" areas - so I think the chances of seeing animals on a fairly regular basis is pretty substantial. Thats' been my experience, at least. And although I thought the animals all went in at night, I was corrected some time ago by people who had watched them during the night as well, by moonlight.

I would suggest that the "family with young kids" isn't going to take advantage of DTD at night, either. They'll be in the room putting those kids to bed no matter where they are.

Both resorts will have a lot to offer, I'm sure, but I think it's much too soon to start drawing definite conclusions about each resort's amenities until we actually see what's going to be built and what's going to be available.

Exactly...and after Junior and Juniorette (x2) are drifting off to slumberland, Mom and dad can be out on their balcony soaking up some ambiance and checking out the furries.

For me, AKV is really a "no brainer". My wife and I have been discussing DVC for some time, and have always said that if AKL or the Contemp add DVC...we're in. It so happens AKV is first up.

In addition, if you look at the proposed plans (look at the thread called AKV schematics) you'll see the overall shape of the resort is pretty "friendly". One end is VERY close to the pool area, the other end is VERY close to AKL, itself. The most "remote" area would be the "mid-southern" (not sure if that's the direction, but the orientation on the schematics) section, and even that's not too bad.

As for it's remoteness....We've stayed at AKL before. It's remote, true. But it also doesn't share Disney transportation with anyone else (of course, it may share with AKV...), so it's transport is unusually efficient. Trips to the MK take about 15 to 20 min, tops, and the waits for busses are not long either.

One of the other benefits of AKV? The rooms reportedly sleep an extra person (I'm assuming via fold out "chair" like in the AS Music Family Suites), which means my family of 5 can stay in a one BR...not a 2. That means less points are required for our stay, which is a VERY good thing.

I think EVERY DVC has it's plusses and minuses....AKV being no exception. YMMV on any one of them (I'm not a fan of SSR or OKW, but like the BWV and BCV). Dismissing AKV, out of turn, is both premature and, perhaps, relying on the self same "personal preferences" being dismissed.

Most of the DVC members were former resort guests. They lose CRO guest every time a new DVC member buys in. Maybe they are slitting their own throats in the long run, who knows. For this reason I don't believe we'll ever see another Deluxe Resort at WDW, time will tell.

Although, some of us, like me, still continue to patronize the resorts as well as use all our DVC points each year. Last year I borrowed for a stay at VWL for my daughter and her friends as a high school graduation present, so this year I'm staying at the Wilderness Lodge with my younger daughter for her spring break. I'm spemding cash, not using points. And for us, our DVC stays are usually 5 nights, and we like to switch to another resort for the weekend, so they've got me coming and going, so to speak.

We love the AKL concept but still need convincing about buying there. If you really can't confirm a Savannah view (or even main lodge?) then why not book at 7 months and take your chances? I don't care for SSR at all but there is an argument to buy the less expensive resort and book at 7 months. What is the advantage of owning AKL?

We love the AKL concept but still need convincing about buying there. If you really can't confirm a Savannah view (or even main lodge?) then why not book at 7 months and take your chances? I don't care for SSR at all but there is an argument to buy the less expensive resort and book at 7 months. What is the advantage of owning AKL?

mydogdrew - I think the report that savannah views couldn't be guaranteed was in errror. Greenban updated to say that the savannah view WOULD be guaranteed at the time of your reservation.

mydogdrew - I think the report that savannah views couldn't be guaranteed was in errror. Greenban updated to say that the savannah view WOULD be guaranteed at the time of your reservation.

In that case - I'm in. Thanks.

At what point in time does Disney say enough is enough, and prior to building more housing units, builds a 5th park?

I am very worried that as they add more and more units for guest to stay in, that we will see every day at all the parks become the days we all dislike very much.

Long lines and cranky guest.

I really do not look at it that way. While I'm sure we are not unique DVC members in that we spend 1/2 of our trips with cash ressies, DVC makes a WDW visitor "stickier". If you can convert a cash customer to a DVC member, you then guarantee some level of guaranteed patronage. There are a lot more venues throughout the world tugging to get a piece of our vacation budgets. Management would be a little short sighted if all they worried about is the current stabilization of its cash rooms. Well, at least that is how I look at business.

Here's some stats for you all............

They are renovating the 5th & 6th floor of the Lodge and there will be 134 rooms available.

They will build a "new" DVC resort, next to the Lodge and Theme Park that will have 324 rooms for a total of 458 DVC accomodations.

The size of the DVC will be just shy of the OKW resort (525 rooms).

Thanks for posting this...it is what I have been thinking while reading this thread. Yes, once complete, AKV will be big, but not SSR big. The CM the OP spoke with "siad" that AKV was going to be bigger. So far as we know, it is not.

At what point in time does Disney say enough is enough, and prior to building more housing units, builds a 5th park?

I am very worried that as they add more and more units for guest to stay in, that we will see every day at all the parks become the days we all dislike very much.

Long lines and cranky guest.

As long as DVC is profitable, Disney will continue to add units. As far as crowds at the parks, Disney would like to keep them at a certain capacity, again because it is profitable to them. There are times when Disney closes a park that has reached capapcity. If the parks become so crowded that the guest experience suffers significantly, I am sure Disney would simply restrict access to guests staying off-site before they cut themselves out of more money coming from DVC owners.

I really do not look at it that way. While I'm sure we are not unique DVC members in that we spend 1/2 of our trips with cash ressies, DVC makes a WDW visitor "stickier". If you can convert a cash customer to a DVC member, you then guarantee some level of guaranteed patronage. There are a lot more venues throughout the world tugging to get a piece of our vacation budgets. Management would be a little short sighted if all they worried about is the current stabilization of its cash rooms. Well, at least that is how I look at business.

I do agree with this in thoery. I'm just wondering where that tipping point is????? There has to be a point where , as DVC grows on site at WDW, that it will start pulling away from the deluxe resorts.

I just think there needs to be a balance. Personally I think there are far too many DVC units at WDW now. IMO DVC needs to expand off site or at other parks like DLC, DLP,DLT.

I do agree with this in thoery. I'm just wondering where that tipping point is????? There has to be a point where , as DVC grows on site at WDW, that it will start pulling away from the deluxe resorts.

I just think there needs to be a balance. Personally I think there are far too many DVC units at WDW now. IMO DVC needs to expand off site or at other parks like DLC, DLP,DLT.

300 million US residents.......100,000 DVC owners

I think there is still alot of room to grow.

Personally, we weren't lured away from CRO, we had just found out about the Teacher discounts at Swan and Dolphin. We had just begun to enjoy our stays there at the great prices, and being able to book 3 rooms, we had some very nice family vacations there. DVC "stole" us from S&D, although we've been back once.

Bobbi

Grow yes but on WDW property? How about some interesting off site options? That could put DVC on the map in the Timeshare world.

I'm with you on that. Eventually they will have enough members that will demand more destinations, that they will have to build more off site resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter