AKV = SSR All Over Again?

boy when I read your title - I though oh no - the complaints.

don't think AKV will be as big as SSR. of course SSR did not start out that big. which is why the main pool is small.

but from another point of view - at least SSR is no longer the low man on the pole.

the comments about AKV (since it is not even here yet) - smells, how far away it is....or just the beginning.;) :goodvibes

Thanks for posting this...it is what I have been thinking while reading this thread. Yes, once complete, AKV will be big, but not SSR big. The CM the OP spoke with "siad" that AKV was going to be bigger. So far as we know, it is not.

I disagree. It may not be bigger in terms of space-the-resort-takes-up, but if you add the occupancy of the existing lodge to the occupancy of the villas, you're going to see the highest occupancy and largest crowds of any DVC resort.

I am on the fence about AKV. With so many people staying at the lodge and villas competing for transportationm, it's going to come down to the busses and dining options in the villa area to sway me. I'm hoping for a good food-court-type CS dining option and an efficient bus system.

Grow yes but on WDW property? How about some interesting off site options? That could put DVC on the map in the Timeshare world.
Absolutely.

Domestically, I'd like to see: HI, Southern CA, Northern CA, Vail CO, Jersey shore and Savannah GA.

Interesting tho is that WDW resorts are themed after many nice vacation spots. Could they build a BCV at Cape May? or a Poly in HI?

Internationally, I'd really like to see: DVC resorts at all other theme parks, Grand Cayman, Italy, many parts of Australia, and if it is safe, SE Asia such as Singapore.

Is Animal Kingdom a bigger draw than DTD if you are not able to look out at the Savannah or be in the lodge?
In a word, yes. But as pointed out it looks like AKL will have a lot of savannah view and other high demand rooms.

- at least SSR is no longer the low man on the pole.

I disagree.

I think that after the dust settles, you will still see SSR rooms be the last to be filled, and the least requested as the #1 option when people call in for ressies.

I could be wrong, and for many reasons hope that I am.

Checked with my guide earlier. She said upon completion AKV will have 458 units of which 22 will be grand villas, and with 134 units in the main building. I think SSR is over 800 units. To answer your question, AKV < SSR. AKV is much smaller than SSR in terms of units availability.:)

I disagree.

I think that after the dust settles, you will still see SSR rooms be the last to be filled, and the least requested as the #1 option when people call in for ressies.

I could be wrong, and for many reasons hope that I am.

This very well may be true and if it is we are all in trouble at the 7 month window. I haven't seen any evidence of this yet but without guaranteed views, a small pool, smaller rooms with higher point requirements than OKW, I can see a potential for problems.

Those extra years sure are nice though and the resort is maturing nicely and the new pool area will help. Sit down dining has also helped a lot.

Time will tell DVCJim.

This very well may be true and if it is we are all in trouble at the 7 month window. I haven't seen any evidence of this yet but without guaranteed views, a small pool, smaller rooms with higher point requirements than OKW, I can see a potential for problems.

Those extra years sure are nice though and the resort is maturing nicely and the new pool area will help. Sit down dining has also helped a lot.

Time will tell DVCJim.
Bet on it. Count on the home resort priority being as important at BW view and SW rooms, VWL at Xmas and BCV dedicated 2 queen rooms.

At what point in time does Disney say enough is enough, and prior to building more housing units, builds a 5th park?

I am very worried that as they add more and more units for guest to stay in, that we will see every day at all the parks become the days we all dislike very much.

Long lines and cranky guest.

We stopped the parks last year due to the crowds and crankiness & have 2 parkless trips booked this year. The resorts and all they offer are enough for us and we realized just how stressful and unrelaxing it had all become. We love DVC for all it is, not just for the parks which I'm sure we will go back to in another year or two. Go DVC :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

If you build it we will come (and probably buy) :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

We might try AKV once, but DW has absolutely no interest in it. Boma is overrated, IMO, so that's no draw for us. I am mostly curious, but we will definitely be spending more time at OKW, SSR, and the soon to be built CRV.

Absolutely.

Domestically, I'd like to see: HI, Southern CA, Northern CA, Vail CO, Jersey shore and Savannah GA.

Huh? Savannah, GA? Why would DVC need/want a location in Savannah when HHI is 45 miles away? Jersey Shore, no way. That's a weekend location, not a destination. The others you mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing, though!

Huh? Savannah, GA? Why would DVC need/want a location in Savannah when HHI is 45 miles away? Jersey Shore, no way. That's a weekend location, not a destination. The others you mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing, though!

I agree with you here! But then again, I am a Husky, too! :)

You are right about the distance but they are worlds apart. Get Paula Dean to open a sit down restaurant there and I will double my points!

I just remember the Jersey shore growing up as a kid when we lived in Queens and have fond memories. I'm thinking you view it the same way as I see Vero Beach since we live on the East coast of FL.

The more resorts that we see opening up the easier it is to get a resort that isn't your home. The opening of the Contemporary Villas will make it even easier. If a large resort like SSR had people that wanted BCV or VWL, now some of them will want the new resorts be built instead.

I own at BCV and BWV and I'll try a couple nights at AKL, maybe even one of those standard rooms that are really cheap on weekends instead of paying cash.

Hmmm...I find this whole debate very interesting. Could it be that DVC is "testing the waters" with AKV? I mean, wasn't SSR originally supposed to be much smaller, too....like 552 rooms (or something like that)?

:confused3

Hmmm...I find this whole debate very interesting. Could it be that DVC is "testing the waters" with AKV? I mean, wasn't SSR originally supposed to be much smaller, too....like 552 rooms (or something like that)?

:confused3

I don't know about that, but in my talks with CMs and viewing the industry I'd say Disney has learned DVC demand is too high to accommodate smaller resorts. Hence why VWL, BCV and BWV were called "mistakes". I doubt we're going to see expansion to a non-Disney destination real soon. There's just too much competition from bigger and better timeshare companies. (For instance, I wouldn't fathom using my DVC points to stay outside Orlando, but my Marriott weeks take me around the world.) By tying it all to Disney, you are turning those offsite or infrequent visitors into regulars. And Disney remains the top vacation destination worldwide.

I heard that the "master plan" for AKV rivals the size of SSR. Remember, SSR was only two phases. They didn't announce phase III until later. It's too cost effective to grow the site (ie; greater profits).

I don't know about that, but in my talks with CMs and viewing the industry I'd say Disney has learned DVC demand is too high to accommodate smaller resorts. Hence why VWL, BCV and BWV were called "mistakes".

Well, I am glad I bought into one of those mistakes, and resales are still available for them when I add-on VWL. While the current plans for AKV look promising, I would hate to see it turned into a big clunky, unwieldy resort like SSR. I think it would overpower the intended theme there.

However, based on the current plans for AKV, how would they add on or make it bigger? Since they were individual and separate apartment-like buildings, SSR was easy to make bigger by adding new buildings. The AKV design is more like a hotel with all the units in one building. Would they add in some townhouse/apartment like buildings? Would they mirror the same design to the west (but with no savannah?) If they do make AKV bigger that the 300+ (new building) units, I hope they mirror the design on the other side (east) of AKL to keep is symmetrical and retain savannah views, and make it a "separate" resort with it's own pool, lobby, and food (e.g., AKV east and AKV west).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter