Alarm Clocks being removed

karrit2000

DIS Veteran
We just checked into BWV Saturday. When we entered our room the Housekeeper was removing the Alarm clock I-dock thing. There had been a cart in the hall with a bunch of them on it so we figured maybe they were replacing them with some other type alarm clock since we had a regular alarm clock in our room at OKW that we had just checked out of. When we returned to the room later on there was no replacement so we called to request a replacement which we never received. Went to the Front desk Sunday morning with our Laundry List of Housekeeping & Maintenance issues needing to be addressed including the missing alarm clock. The Supervisor informed us that they were told that Alarm Clocks are to be removed from all rooms property wide but they would be more than happy to provide one to us since we requested it. She didn't know what the reason was that they removed them but did stress that it is supposed to be happening property-wide, not just at BWV. Personally I'd rather they removed the darn cleaning equipment they cram up the closet with since I don't use or need any of that stuff during my stay. What's next, the microwave, toaster, coffee maker or refrigerator?

Who uses an alarm clock anymore? Or a phone?

I have a computer in my pocket that conveniently comes with both an alarm app and a phone app.

First thing I do in a hotel room is unplug the alarm and phone.

If a hotel gave me a list of numbers to call on my own phone app, they could toss the phone too, for all I care.

Of course, if some hotels toss their phones, then they wouldn't be able to bug me to attend an "owners update" aka timeshare pitch, so phones will probably stay, industry wide.

I have no problem with them removing the clocks.
It has only happened about 3-4 times in the past 21 years but when the alarm goes off at 4am it scares the bejeebers out of me and DH.
Someone posted a while back that some guests think that it is funny to set the alarm on the morning that they ck out as a "joke" and another poster said it has happen to them also and the first thing they do is unplug the clock when they get to the room. I started doing the same.
I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

What an awful prank if people are setting them when they check out!

We do use them as a clock, so I'll make sure I put a travel one on our packing list.

Thanks for letting us all know!

If I need more outlets I unplug the alarm. I also do that if it has the giant lightup snooze buttons that some do. I hate the extra light.

If I need an alarm I use my phone. If I want to know what time it is I use my phone. Both are much more reliable to me then the hotels clock anyway.

While I realize that many are quite addicted to their Cell phones & use them for just about everything I personally like having the Alarm clock in the room. I'm not glued to my cell phone nor is it permanently embedded to my hand unlike some people and half the time I don't even have it turned on. I like to be able to quickly glance at the clock from across the room and also like having it there if I wake in the middle of the night to see the time. I've also fallen victim to the alarm going off when I didn't set it but I'd really rather have the clock there. I don't trust wake-up call requests and it takes me much longer to figure out how to set an alarm on my phone than on the clock. Call me old fashioned but leave the darn alarm clock in my room please. I don't need or want that Pack & Play thing or a high chair in my room but they always have them taking up most of the closet space. I'd much rather they removed those since they are of no use to me.

Yeah, I'm really surprised by this. I did realize other people don't seem to use clocks. I had to replace my alarm clock at home and there was literally one option at the store that was not just a fancy docking station for a phone. I wanted what I used to have which was a cd player alarm clock. Didn't seem to exist anymore when I last replaced my clock.

So, when I wake up during the night and want to know what time it is I have to find my cell phone and turn it on? Is that what most people do now? I'd like the time prominently displayed whether there is an actual alarm or not.

I've no objections to them putting in power strips, USB ports or whatever but taking out the alarm clock is just ridiculous. In OKW we had a regular alarm clock instead of the iHome which I was perfectly happy with other than it going off at 6:30AM when we didn't actually set it. There are no power strips with USB ports added to our room here at BWV nor were there any in our room at OKW, however the new furnishings here at BWV do have electrical outlets and USB ports built into them so there isn't really a need for an additional power strip. The Murphy bed has 4 electrical outlets & 4 USB Ports that I can see. I didn't open it up so there may be something inside also. The the night stand has 2 electrical outlets and 2 USB Ports. The dresser replacement is next to useless as only half the thing is actual usable space and only if you remove the linens for the pull-out couch from it. Seriously there are 4 drawers one held the thin blanket & the other three each had a pillow smooshed into them. My 14" laptop barely fits with a little clearance around it, not even an inch on the short side and maybe about 6 inches more wide than the laptop at most.

Weren't the docks for the 4 generation iPhone anyway? I seem to recall wondering why they hadn't upgraded them when I was there last year.

I don't think they should have ever put in the iHome never mind replace or upgrade them whenever they become outdated. I don't have any use for it, all I need is a normal alarm clock, it doesn't even need to have a radio. It seems they like to put in things that technologically or functionally appeal to one specific group rather than something that may be useful to the majority. Not everyone has an iPhone so probably at least 50% of the guests don't have a need for the iHome as it won't work with their android or windows phones.

I'm not sure this is anything to be disappointed over since there are multiple solutions. Most phones have an alarm clock function. If not, automated wake-up calls are available. For those who like the convenience of a clock nearby without looking at their phones, it sounds like you can still request one. There's also travel alarm clocks that are cheap and small enough to bring with you. Problems solved!

How many times have you checked into a hotel and found the clock was wrong and when you went to change it you couldn't. I think those Ihomes needed a screwdriver to open the place where you could change the time. I liked them better when they actually had a radio or sleep sounds on the clock.

I'm not sure this is anything to be disappointed over since there are multiple solutions. Most phones have an alarm clock function. If not, automated wake-up calls are available. For those who like the convenience of a clock nearby without looking at their phones, it sounds like you can still request one. There's also travel alarm clocks that are cheap and small enough to bring with you. Problems solved!

But it's silly to have to request one IMO. Was it such a detriment to people who apparently don't look at them to have them there? Doubtful. Clocks are a standard. I'm going to guess the answer to why will be due to guest requests though. We shall request and ask for them to be set up for us - not just dropped off.

How many times have you checked into a hotel and found the clock was wrong and when you went to change it you couldn't. I think those Ihomes needed a screwdriver to open the place where you could change the time. I liked them better when they actually had a radio or sleep sounds on the clock.

They were easy to adjust and did not require any tools. At least the ones they have/had now - I did that when we were there last weekend and we went of DST. Whether correctly set or not you could change them just as you have to do with clocks at home.

But it's silly to have to request one IMO. Was it such a detriment to people who apparently don't look at them to have them there? Doubtful. Clocks are a standard. I'm going to guess the answer to why will be due to guest requests though. We shall request and ask for them to be set up for us - not just dropped off.

I hear you. But considering they had the docking stations, they were outdated. That means they either needed to update them or remove them entirely, and they chose the latter. Even if they put the most basic of alarm clocks in the room as replacements, you'll still have the issue of ones needing to be replaced due to breaking (an expense), guests being annoyed because they didn't know how to use it and are now late for something, guests being annoyed because the prior guest never turned off the alarm, etc etc. My guess is most people won't miss them, so it was easier to just eliminate them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter