Am I being fair? Honest opinions wanted.

This is (and having to fill out tax paperwork) is why I can’t hire help. I just don’t have the patience or trust to let people into my home.
Plus, I need the exercise.
Me too. I’d love it but just can’t. Plus I’m picky. I want it done thorough. We hire grass & pool but not house.

Thanks for your responses everybody. To answer a few questions...no, there was no contract or anything in writing.

She did have a copy of the back door key which we got back from her. We are changing the locks (husband is doing it himself and waiting on the lock which he ordered online). In the meantime we have a bar in the sliding glass door.

I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some unwritten rule that says you need to pay a month of severance or something. I feel like we're being fair but she's texting us so much about it I started to second guess myself.

She DID say she was going to take us to small claims court. We said okay, see you then.

She sounds like a real piece of work. I would have laughed my butt off over the small claims court. She's just not really that bright but has probably gotten away with a lot in life through bullying.

She DID say she was going to take us to small claims court. We said okay, see you then.

Not sure what to laugh about first - her trying to plead her case that she was an incredibly unreliable employee that was fired and would like to be paid for a month that she didn't work, or that she'd spend more money taking you to small claims court than the $250 she is asking for from you?

Not sure what to laugh about first - her trying to plead her case that she was an incredibly unreliable employee that was fired and would like to be paid for a month that she didn't work, or that she'd spend more money taking you to small claims court than the $250 she is asking for from you?

:worship::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I wouldn't worry about her saying she'll take you to small claims. A - She doesn't have a leg to stand on and B - She would spend more in court fees than would be worth the trouble over $250. I agree with others, block the number, change that one lock and wipe your hands.
Peoople can sue for their filing fees, but she would have to win her case to be awarded that, which is unlikely.

TBH even though it's neither here nor there I would have not scheduled her for Jan to begin with.

You weren't really ending it on a negative you just were ultimately dissatisfied with her lack of professionalism in having to constantly reschedule. Also I really hate to say it but after that many rescheduled appointments and that being the reason you were letting her go the probability of her rescheduling for Jan was extremely high.

To answer the question you don't owe her for any time she didn't clean. She may just be hoping you give her the money rather than go a legal route but personally I'd stick to my guns and not pay her anything else.

We have a cleaning company come every other week, and I've had to fire people for rescheduling too much. It's a big undertaking to get the house ready to clean (I also have 3 young kids) and it's beyond frustrating to have the clutter cleared for a cleaning just to have them reschedule and do it all again 2 days later.

I think you made a mistake by firing her, and then agreeing to let her come back again. Why would you let someone who would potentially be angry and vengeful come back into your home? We've had to fire nannies before as well, and have never let them back in our home after firing them--I just wouldn't trust someone you fired to not do something mean out of revenge.

Don't pay her the money and block her number.

No way would I pay her. You gave her the benefit of the doubt and were willing to let her come one last time to earn her money. She blew it by doing the exact thing you were letting her go for.
At this point she is harassing you so I’d tell her that. If she continues then take legal action.

She wouldn't have lasted that lo h rescheduling with me.

And she would get this Diddy from me and I'd block her after it You Get Nothing

She has no case. Good luck to her. OTOH, while I agree that you owe her nothing, if she's wacko, don't give her too much rope before reporting her to your local police department. These kind of people can make your life miserable.

Document everything that has happened so far, in writing. The dates missed, dates rescheduled, phone calls, emails, text messages, every detail of your experiences with this person. Save any voicemails.

Don’t take anymore of her calls, block her number if necessary. All communication with this person needs to be in written form from this point forward. If necessary, contact the police if she continues to contact you. Keep a copy of the police report.

Wow...
Did she even do one cleaning in January.
It doesn't sound like it.
And she says she wants the full $250.00. ($125.00 per service?)

If she did complete one cleaning service, I would pay her for ONE cleaning service.
If she did not even complete that, then I would offer nothing, at all.
If she started harassing and threatening small claims court, I would block her number and change the locks.

Now that she has claimed court, I would keep any contact brief and factual. Her services are no longer required in your home and she has performed no work in January so no payment is owed.

You are not being unfair by terminating her for her actions and you do not owe her any severance.

Wow...
Did she even do one cleaning in January.
It doesn't sound like it.
And she says she wants the full $250.00. ($125.00 per service?)

If she did complete one cleaning service, I would pay her for ONE cleaning service.
If she did not even complete that, then I would offer nothing, at all.
If she started harassing and threatening small claims court, I would block her number and change the locks.

No, she didn't come to our home at all in January. She was supposed to, but rescheduled and we said forget it. We paid her for all of the services she provided us.

I’m with the majority, be done. Your only fault was being kind ... which isn’t a fault, just crummy when it gets taken advantage of by a kook.

Agree with PP, log every interaction you had. Hopefully you won’t need it, but worth having just in case. And block her!

Hope this ends soon with no fanfare.

I hope you kept all the texts from her constantly cancelling. Especially the last ones. And any crazy ones from her. You'll need them if you have to go to the police.

Although everyone says to block her number, according to security expert, Gavin de becker, he sasy NOT to block someone you think is crazy or has the potential to be. Stop responding to her, but you need to MONITOR any voice mails or texts form her in case she escalates things and starts threatening your family.

After she left on the 27th, we texted her and let her know that although she’s a nice person, the constant rescheduling was not working for our family.

She was a little pissed, but said OK and asked if she could come clean on January 6 for her last clean. We said of course, not wanting to end things on a negative note. at noon on the sixth, she texted us to let us know that she would be coming on the 9th instead because she was dizzy. At that point, we told her we were just done and we wished her all the best.
No, she didn't come to our home at all in January. She was supposed to, but rescheduled and we said forget it. We paid her for all of the services she provided us.

I'm curious, how did you get the key back from her when she never showed up for her last appointments? She doesn't sound like she'd make an extra trip, unpaid, to just drop off the key, when she's trying to hit you up for more money?

Don't pay her another dime. Don't answer any text she sends, try not to even open them. Don't talk to her on the phone , if she calls hang up and block the number. If she comes over to your home call the cops. Document everything. Sounds like you are giving her a platform to rant and so she is keeping it up, she will eventually get tired and move on, or if she is nutty enough she will try to take you to court in which you would win anyways. Done and done.

I would tell her if she reaches out to you again you will file harassment charges. That behavior is unacceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter