Am I the only one annoyed by the "free upgrade" happening?

I can't wait to say those two little words ... "Welcome Home!"

Awwww.......Thanks.:grouphug: . Seriously, I talked DH out of buying on our last couple of DC's and our 2 DL trips last year. I'm sure that was that last time that I said "no" to that.

Awwww.......Thanks.:grouphug: . Seriously, I talked DH out of buying on our last couple of DC's and our 2 DL trips last year. I'm sure that was that last time that I said "no" to that.

and if or rather when you are proud DVC owners you can start planning for a stay at AKV in a 1 bedroom there. Hope we can say Welcome Home soon.

and if or rather when you are proud DVC owners you can start planning for a stay at AKV in a 1 bedroom there. Hope we can say Welcome Home soon.

Cant wait! Im actually excited to do the sales tour and finally "commit". AKV will be amazing.....but, can I say WOW!!! Ive been scrolling thru the OKW, SSR, BC, etc threads and looking at the personal pix and reviews. What have I been thinking not becoming a member?? I need to get my head examined with all the time we spend at WDW, DL,and DC I am beginning to feel like I wasted alot of time and money.........................................

Nope. This is a heads in beds issue pure and simple. I'd be surprised if the values were truly overbooked as well. I think the values were booked solid, perhaps a little "overbooked" a month before the end of the dining promotion. Disney looked at that situation, saw all the empty rooms at SSR and OKW for September and made a very rational decision. Yes, these people are getting a good deal, but having those empty rooms occupied, even with the free dining plan thrown in the mix, is better overall for Disney. These people will be buying tickets and tons of stuff.

If a few of them end up buying into DVC, that's just icing on the cake. It's not the primary motivating factor here.

that would pretty much sum it up.

I'm not annoyed by the "free" upgrades. As others have said, the resorts need to be almost full or points are being lost. The way I look at it, Disney decided to use a bunch of their points at a time when DVC members are not filling up the resorts. September in general is a slow time of the year. I am going to be at Disney at that same time. I was able to get a Standard View at BWV at 6 months without waitlisting. I tend to bounce back and forth between December and September. (I teach college and those are my long breaks). Now, that being said, I would be a little annoyed if I was reading stories on the DIS about people being waitlisted during this time for OKW or SSR. I think Disney should readjust and clear out the waitlist before doing any large scale upgrade. And in this case that appears to be true.

Just think about it this way. By using all these points in early September Disney has fewer points to use during the rest of the year.

Nope. This is a heads in beds issue pure and simple. I'd be surprised if the values were truly overbooked as well. I think the values were booked solid, perhaps a little "overbooked" a month before the end of the dining promotion. Disney looked at that situation, saw all the empty rooms at SSR and OKW for September and made a very rational decision. Yes, these people are getting a good deal, but having those empty rooms occupied, even with the free dining plan thrown in the mix, is better overall for Disney. These people will be buying tickets and tons of stuff.

If a few of them end up buying into DVC, that's just icing on the cake. It's not the primary motivating factor here.

I agree with this....

It's funny I purposely didn't book pop.....cause I wanted shady
waiting areas for the bus...
Turns out I might have gotten a lot more than shade had
I booked pop and not pofq:headache:

Anyway.....I usually don't get any great deals...so I'm
used to it:lmao:
Kerri

I do not believe it is as simple as "heads in beds" I would think Disney has other reasons as they could have upgraded people to many other resorts. They also only upgraded Value why not Mod?
I say there has to be some thing in it for Disney...
It all seems to point to a sales pitch or selling itself......
OKW and SSR are similiar so if one like OKW they would be happy at SSR so they can easily buy there...
At the very least Kids will always remeber thier stay at....and Mommy and Daddy will want to see those smiles again
Disney is still a buisness and they are not giving anything away for free unless they have to....or there is something in it for them
But is still a great free no obligation upgrade for thise who got it

I do not believe it is as simple as "heads in beds" I would think Disney has other reasons as they could have upgraded people to many other resorts. They also only upgraded Value why not Mod?
OKW and SSR are similiar so if one like OKW they would be happy at SSR so they can easily buy there...
At the very least Kids will always remeber thier stay at....and Mommy and Daddy will want to see those smiles again
Disney is still a buisness and they are not giving anything away for free unless they have to....or there is something in it for them

No, it’s heads in beds. Disney has some empty rooms, why not plant some goodwill seeds and see what grows… otherwise, the rooms will simply remain unoccupied.

Cant wait! Im actually excited to do the sales tour and finally "commit". AKV will be amazing.....but, can I say WOW!!! Ive been scrolling thru the OKW, SSR, BC, etc threads and looking at the personal pix and reviews. What have I been thinking not becoming a member?? I need to get my head examined with all the time we spend at WDW, DL,and DC I am beginning to feel like I wasted alot of time and money.........................................

I'll be excited for you too. I hope you look over some of the tips & tricks threads (just search for my username and you'll find I tend to frequent them) before you go. There's a ton of info out there to help you get acclamated with the resort's offerings. First time I stayed, I saw maybe 1/10th. My last trip I made it a point to explore SSR. I think I've gotten up to 6-7/10ths so far?

My absolute favorite thing to do was to take morning and twilight walks around when the wildlife was out and about. SSR's wildlife is more on the fowl and sea side compared to AKL's savanna creatures. Still, I just adore those big beautiful swans floating about on the lakes.

And FWIW in regards to this thread, moving AKL guests over to SSR is not the least bothersome to me. I hope you have a great time!

When you get to buying, just crunch those numbers and see what truly works for you. You can always pay to stay in a DVC. Ownership is a bit more complex and involving.

OK, I understand WDW owns a percentage of each resort, etc. & can do what they want with it however...

This is really getting under my skin for some reason.

I accept it when I can't get a ressie & there is availablity on disney.com.

I accept that DVC isn't entitled to free dining.

I accept that there are trade offs for the fabulous accommodations.

People receiving free dining AND a 1br villa while paying for a value??? :confused:

I'd love to stay for a week in a villa with free food for under $1000 wouldn't you? Why should I own DVC if that deal is gonna float out there?? (I know why I own DVC, it's just the principle).

Not to mention all the extra people we will now have to compete with for pool chairs.... and room locations...

Anybody else not happy?

Thanks for letting me rant!

not really just got upgraded to ssr 2 room villa from akl pool view -$1100 im thrilled think its a good way to get people to consider DVC.we do disney every year and this gives us a chance to look at an option i had not consideredvery sorry if the rest of the world offends you remember the happiest place on earth cya soon ill buy u a beer to cry in

It really is a head in beds issue. And the reason they are upgrading the values and not the mods is b/c the values are easiest to sell...least expensive means more people think, "hey, I can afford that!" So they are moving people out of the values into the DVCs to make more room in the values and thus more people in total at the World.

While I am sure some people buy DVC as a result...that is just a bonus perk and not the original intent.

I sure it doesn't hurt that a good majority of the people staying in Values have small children that will probably want to go to WDW for the next several years (hmmm...maybe a good fit for DVC?). ;)

There is something in it for Disney--more people. More open rooms at the resorts where more people are likely to sign onto the free Dining. It's not rocket science. September is one of the slowest months. With all the unsold inventory at SSR there are tons of empty rooms. We've heard of about 50 some upgrades on these boards. That means there's probably a couple of hundred. I suspect that putting people up at SSR/OKW isn't costing Disney that much more than if they were at the Values. The rooms were going to be empty.

If you need tell yourself that this is some kind of DVC sales pitch to make it more palatable--go for it, but it ain't.

not really just got upgraded to ssr 2 room villa from akl pool view -$1100 im thrilled think its a good way to get people to consider DVC.we do disney every year and this gives us a chance to look at an option i had not consideredvery sorry if the rest of the world offends you remember the happiest place on earth cya soon ill buy u a beer to cry in

Well that was just lovely. :rolleyes:

not really just got upgraded to ssr 2 room villa from akl pool view -$1100 im thrilled think its a good way to get people to consider DVC.we do disney every year and this gives us a chance to look at an option i had not considered.......

Congrats on your upgrade.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

With all the unsold inventory at SSR there are tons of empty rooms. We've heard of about 50 some upgrades on these boards. That means there's probably a couple of hundred.

Actually the total number of rooms that might be unsold is about 150-210. But then it was expected to sell out by the end of this year. So maybe this is just the final push like the Friends & Family promo. Which, as someone here already said, gives us the bright side of Disney wanting to announce another new DVC for sale soon. (I believe they wanted to sell out SSR first and then get into the next project so there are just two on-site properties for sale.)

Um, the rant you quoted (which is the topic of this thread) is specifically regarding those who booked the Free Dining promo at Pop & All Star for August/September getting bumped up to SSR and OKW.

It has nothing to do with the construction transfers of guests from AKL to SSR. If you read the thread you find most folks who are annoyed, are not annoyed by Deluxe hotel guests getting bumped.

I think your venting is a bit misfired.

If you read the thread you find most folks who are annoyed, are not annoyed by Deluxe hotel guests getting bumped.

That's interesting, because then this would be a class issue or worse, jealousy about other people getting too much pixie dust (I don't think there is such a thing and the nature of pixie dust is it's sprinkled unevenly. I hope someone from the disboards WINS a DVC, but I'm sure there will be those who are ticked because they had to pay when Disney is giving them away, lol.)

Edit--Just wanted to say this wasn't directed at you--I can't even remember who posted what. I'm just saying the idea that Deluxe moves are okay when Values aren't looks to me like either elitism or jealousy.

That's interesting, because then this would be a class issue ...
Just my opinion, but I don't see how this is a "class issue". I feel better about an upgrade from a deluxe, but that's only because the price they paid is more in line with the upgrade. That may seem like a class issue, but it's truly not IMO.
After all, the entire resort system is built on class in a sense... The more you pay, the nicer the accommodations. :)

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter