American Idol, Season 5 **Official Discussion Thread**

dturner said:
I agree with you, I don't get the Bucky hatred either.

If anyone thinks he can't sing - go and re-listen to Thunder Rolls, Simple Man or Wave on Wave - he rocks and I hate country music so that's saying something right there.

I don't think Bucky will win the thing but I'm glad that his fans have gotten him into the top 10 as that was HIS goal - to be able to tour this summer.

I like country music and I don't like how Bucky sings at all. BUT we all have different tastes in music and what we like or don't like.

wvrevy said:
Um, the problem is that he was among the worst singers, if not the actual worst (and in many opinions, including my own, he was the absolute worst), and his attitude came across as fairly annoying, at best.

Look, I'm sure he's a great kid. But he'll never make a living as a singer. Most of the rest of the group will. I happen to agree with you that Will should have been in the Top 12, as I think he had talent and a lot of potential. But it was Kevin that undeservingly "took his spot", not Bucky. Any of the three songs Bucky recently performed that dturner pointed out - Thunder Rolls, Simple Man, and Wave on Wave - would fit right in on country or "southern rock" radio, right now. Absolutely nothing Kevin did was good enough to get airtime anywhere.

Not all of us feel that way though.

I personally like Bucky too and don't buy that he stole the spot from Will or Kevin. He earned it by performing more consistently then either of them. Kevin became arrogant & Will was not too accepting when criticism was given to him. Bucky has not had a negative word to say. Not that I think he will be in the top 5, but I do think he deserves to be in the top 10.

Now Chris is my favorite to win it. Followed by Mandisa/Kathryn then Elliott/Tayler.

damo said:
I just asked my 17 year old son if he thought that the dress was appropriate. He did not hesitate to say yes!!!

:rotfl2: :rotfl:

I find it very apprpriate too...LOL...

Cindy B said:
I found a picture of Kellie Pickler's prom dress from a few years ago... warning.. it can be considered a fairly risque picture.

My parents would kill me if I went out of the house with that!

http://i1.tinypic.com/s3dn36.jpg

Yes, Kellie Pickler picked an um... interesting dress

Is that a ring in her eyebrow???

I think the hubub about the prom dress is off-target. Why is it that whenever a physically fit person shows a little more skin than most of us less-than-physically fit people would feel comfortable showing, it's suddenly "inappropriate"? :rolleyes: A prom is not a funeral; it is a celebration, and it's typically in May, so the weather isn't a concern either, not even here in MA. :rotfl: Assuming that is Kellie in the photo, the dress covered all the parts it needed to.

Geez, that really isn't much worse than what Barbara Eden wore on I Dream of Jeannie. I was expecting alot worse with the warnings and all!

Man! I would kill to be able to wear that and look good in it. I wouldn't have worn that to a prom (I did the big southern belle gown) but I would have no problem with it for an adult at another type of formal event. It was a little much for a young girl, but I actually like it.

I'd say, rather, that it would be a little much for an OLD girl! After a certain age, that kind of dress is simply too "young" for most women to pull off, even if they are physically fit enough to wear it.

bicker said:
I think the hubub about the prom dress is off-target. Why is it that whenever a physically fit person shows a little more skin than most of us less-than-physically fit people would feel comfortable showing, it's suddenly "inappropriate"? :rolleyes: A prom is not a funeral; it is a celebration, and it's typically in May, so the weather isn't a concern either, not even here in MA. :rotfl: Assuming that is Kellie in the photo, the dress covered all the parts it needed to.

Most schools have dress codes. (public and private) Most schools also have a conduct guide/code as well.

I thought it ironic that the hickseed niave country girl who has never heard of salmon or calamari can find this kind of dress.... and wear it? Minx is true.. and a whole host of other words.

Yes, she has a belly ring. I couldn't figure out if it was an eyebrow ring though.

I have an earring. Is there a problem with piercing that I don't know about? :confused3

You know what? My mom died when I was 16. Without a Mom's advice and support. Let's just say my dressing went to heck in a handcart and leave it at that. She does not have a Mom's guidence and it's amazing what you can pull over on Grandpa. I won't judge someone for making mistakes (and yes that dress is a mistake) because I am the poster child for stupid mistakes.

Glad I'll never be famous. I would sure hate to have people pulling up crap on me from my illustrious past.

Glad I'll never be famous.
Amen! It's not really a matter of people dragging up the past -- the pot-shots people take at famous (or in the case of American Idol contestants, semi-famous) people in the present is enough to keep me always happy to remain safely anonymous! :)

bicker said:
I have an earring. Is there a problem with piercing that I don't know about? :confused3

My DH has an earring and I have a belly ring. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

DaisyD said:
My DH has an earring and I have a belly ring. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

I think the problem is, how she is being percieved on the show as a southern backwoods girl, venturing out into the modern world. She is really acting the part, to the point of real annoyance. We're probably not supposed to know she even knows what a prom is, nevermind going to one, with a belly ring and all.

nliedel said:
You know what? My mom died when I was 16. Without a Mom's advice and support. Let's just say my dressing went to heck in a handcart and leave it at that. She does not have a Mom's guidence and it's amazing what you can pull over on Grandpa. I won't judge someone for making mistakes (and yes that dress is a mistake) because I am the poster child for stupid mistakes.

Glad I'll never be famous. I would sure hate to have people pulling up crap on me from my illustrious past.

ITA. Grandpa probably never saw that dress until she was going out the door. If that really is Kellie. As for the person that said their parents wouldn't have let her go out the door in that dress, please remember that Kellie doesn't have that type of family support. Not everyone has an easy go of it.

I am thrilled for Kellie. She is going to spread her wings after this AI contest. I am glad that she has so many opportunities opening up for her. At the very least, she has learned that there is life outside of Albemarle, population 15,000. I thought her AI interview was the same sweet Kellie that we see every week.

I am amazed at the people that criticize her for sharing some of her first experiences. Don't we all experience something for the first time at some point in our lives? :confused3

Lori

I just have to say that these dresses were very much in style the past few years, so I am sure that Kellie was not the only girl in the US who wore this style of dress to the prom.

reddixie said:
Dolly not have enough knowledge hmmm. Ok she did write the number one pop/country love song of all time. I will always love you. She is like Loretta Lynn and really keeps up with music. Also she needs to give comments on stage presence, sound, in tune or not, and such. Well considering that she just earned her 25th number one song in a duet with Brad Paisley and has been singing since the 60's well I think she is very qualified. I think she would be a hoot. She probably wouldn't do this though as she is extremely busy and has her hands full with her dinner shows, theme park, music career, writing her life as a Broadway Musical, and finally her own record label where she promotes new talent. Hmmm ok off my soapbox now. DON'T MESS WITH DOLLY!
::yes::
I have nothing but respect for Dolly, and I think (if we had to choose someone to replace Paula) that she'd be an excellent choice. She's smart, funny, compassionate, and a long time music industry survivor. She could hold her own with Simon any day, and she'd balance his acidity with her down-to-earth kindness. I like Paula, but I have to say that I think Dolly would be much better at the job.

Disney1fan2002 said:
I think the problem is, how she is being percieved on the show as a southern backwoods girl, venturing out into the modern world. She is really acting the part, to the point of real annoyance. We're probably not supposed to know she even knows what a prom is, nevermind going to one, with a belly ring and all.

I am sure you can be backwoods and never try of calamari yet still have piercings. One has nothing to do with the other. I honestly do not think she is trying to fool anyone. Ever seen those National Geographic shows where they go deep into the jungle to learn about some ancient tribe that still exists today. They get there and most are wearing Nike shoes with their mud skirts? LOL! They are still ancient tribesman. Along those lines I think Kellee is a true hick. I don't care for her as a singer so I am not voting for her but I don't think she's lying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter