...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

Just wanted to check in and let you know I started my report. BTW, loved the photo you posted of Drew with the marshmallow guy. That made me laugh out loud. That would be a hilarious card. We have friends who do insane cards and they would not hesitate with such a fine specimen.

Hmmm...you might like the picture we posted on Facebook for Father's Day, then. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Hope you're enjoying your countdown to your big vacation!

One month to go (or so)! And it's way too far away...I need a vacation now! :faint:

Thanks for the great trip report, it was fun to follow along

Thanks for reading along!:goodvibes

So you came highly recommended by Franandaj and Dugette, so now i'm here going to attempt an all nighter and read your TR:cool1: Wish me luck! I also see that you're going to be taking a SW trip here pretty soon. Do you have a PTR/TR set up for that yet? :hyper:

Yes, please post it here if you can. Sounds like a good one!

Here you go...

image.jpg

So you came highly recommended by Franandaj and Dugette, so now i'm here going to attempt an all nighter and read your TR:cool1: Wish me luck! I also see that you're going to be taking a SW trip here pretty soon. Do you have a PTR/TR set up for that yet? :hyper:

:welcome:

Wow, that's pretty high praise. But I'd only recommend reading this drivel all night if you're suffering from insomnia. It should be cured right about...oh, chapter 2...

Zzzzzzzz...

Huh? What? Sorry about that. The answer to the PTR question is yes and no. Yes, I posted our plan. It's the final chapter of this TR. I never bother going the full PTR route because I find that once I post my plan, I don't really have anything else to say about it. It's a lot easier for me to talk about the trip after it happens!:thumbsup2

I did it! :cool1: And can I just say, how amazing of a writer you are. You kept my attention the whole time and you're so funny! There is so much to comment on but i'll keep it short.

1) Aulani is definitely on our list based off of your TR and Cynthia's TR. It's just finding the time between other trips. We were throwing around the idea for our 10 year anniversary coming up in two years, so we'll see. You both sold me on Aulani.

2) Your family is absolutely adorable. And congratulations on your new addition! Your children look so well behaved and look like they get along great (aside from the back-to-back photo of them:rotfl:) but geez I remember at that age, my brother and I were at each others throats non-stop! We're best friends now but we were pains back then. I don't know how my parents put up with us.

3) Big fan of Kona Brewing Company! Have tried a lot of them, but haven't tried the porter. I'll need to be on the lookout for that one:thumbsup2

4) I applaud you for packing in SO much activities in that amount of time. OH and your DW for packing 2 suitcases for 5 people:worship: She needs to do a packing video on YouTube or something. I pack 3 suitcases for 2 1/2 people (our son isn't 2 yet):blush::rotfl:

5) Your last paragraph on your wrap up really hit home for me. My parents worked very hard to give my brother and I vacations. We never had the best name brand clothing, the newest gadgets and toys, etc. But they gave us memories in the form of family trips that i'll have for the rest of my life. My dad passed away in 2006 and while I do miss him, I have all our fun beach trips and Disneyland trips all on DVDS and photos that I can watch whenever I want. And that's what my DH and I are trying to do for our DS and any future kids we have (still trying to get used to having one child running around here!:rotfl:)

Thanks again for sharing your family vacation with us and can't wait to hear about the next one. I'll be on the lookout for that TR when it comes out:)

I did it! :cool1: And can I just say, how amazing of a writer you are. You kept my attention the whole time and you're so funny! There is so much to comment on but i'll keep it short.

Thank you! I appreciate you taking all that time to read this monster.

1) Aulani is definitely on our list based off of your TR and Cynthia's TR. It's just finding the time between other trips. We were throwing around the idea for our 10 year anniversary coming up in two years, so we'll see. You both sold me on Aulani.

I think Aulani sells itself. I'm sure Cynthia and I were both just thrilled we got to experience a stay there. Such an amazing resort.

2) Your family is absolutely adorable. And congratulations on your new addition! Your children look so well behaved and look like they get along great (aside from the back-to-back photo of them:rotfl:) but geez I remember at that age, my brother and I were at each others throats non-stop! We're best friends now but we were pains back then. I don't know how my parents put up with us.

Our kids are kids. They fight, they make annoying noises, they whine, they have tantrums, they irritate mommy and daddy. But they're also smart, fun, willing to put up with the demands of travel, interested in exploring the country, and a joy to be around. To be totally honest, I didn't really start to enjoy traveling to its fullest until we had the kids and I could start seeing the world through them. That was sparked in large part by our first trip as a family to Disney World back in 2006.

3) Big fan of Kona Brewing Company! Have tried a lot of them, but haven't tried the porter. I'll need to be on the lookout for that one:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Good stuff! You won't be disappointed!

4) I applaud you for packing in SO much activities in that amount of time. OH and your DW for packing 2 suitcases for 5 people:worship: She needs to do a packing video on YouTube or something. I pack 3 suitcases for 2 1/2 people (our son isn't 2 yet):blush::rotfl:

She is the woman!

5) Your last paragraph on your wrap up really hit home for me. My parents worked very hard to give my brother and I vacations. We never had the best name brand clothing, the newest gadgets and toys, etc. But they gave us memories in the form of family trips that i'll have for the rest of my life. My dad passed away in 2006 and while I do miss him, I have all our fun beach trips and Disneyland trips all on DVDS and photos that I can watch whenever I want. And that's what my DH and I are trying to do for our DS and any future kids we have (still trying to get used to having one child running around here!:rotfl:)

Sounds like we are of like minds. My dad told me he thinks the family vacations are some of the strongest memories you have because it's one of the few times in your life that you have your parents' complete attention.

Thanks again for sharing your family vacation with us and can't wait to hear about the next one. I'll be on the lookout for that TR when it comes out:)

Thanks for reading it! The next one should be buried on the "California & the West" sub-thread under the Disneyland boards, so you'll have to look hard!

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
This is brilliant!

Thanks! We had fun with it. Well, except Drew.

Y’all have a wonderful time on the next adventure, ya’ hear?
Lookin’ forward to that TR.

Thanks! It's coming up faster than I realized. I hope we're not biting off more than we can chew. But if so, I'm sure it'll be a good story.

I forgot to post one picture. We keep track of our progress around the country on a big map of the U.S., so here's the latest look at it. The total is now 24 states (25 for Sarah, as she's been to California). Ever play Pin the Tail on the Donkey? We played Pin The Crap Out Of Hawaii:

IMG_0559%255B1%255D.JPG

Such a great idea! Do the colors mean anything? I see more reds and blues than yellows. You've been to so many places and you'll be adding a ton more pins when you return:thumbsup2

Love the Father's Day photo! :rotfl2: Thanks for sharing it.

Also interesting to see your map. :thumbsup2 I love the idea of keeping it up and the family adding pins as you travel. We are planning on our first long road trip with the kids and they are eager to see as many states as possible. Probably will be Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, & Kentucky. We'll see.... Not for a year or so.

Love that pic! Even if it is totally staged.

Of course it's staged. The kids still do all this stuff daily, but rarely all within one camera frame.:thumbsup2

Such a great idea! Do the colors mean anything? I see more reds and blues than yellows. You've been to so many places and you'll be adding a ton more pins when you return:thumbsup2

Blue is a place we've spent the night. Red is a significant destination we visited. Yellow marks the spots where Julie and I have traveled without the kids. And it's hard to see, but there are a few clear pins marking Cheesecake Factories where we've dined. Just because.

Love the Father's Day photo! :rotfl2: Thanks for sharing it.

Also interesting to see your map. :thumbsup2 I love the idea of keeping it up and the family adding pins as you travel. We are planning on our first long road trip with the kids and they are eager to see as many states as possible. Probably will be Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, & Kentucky. We'll see.... Not for a year or so.

Rust Belt Road Trip:rolleyes1

Following along!

:welcome:

But I have to warn you, it's pretty much done. We're just shooting the breeze now.

Blue is a place we've spent the night. Red is a significant destination we visited. Yellow marks the spots where Julie and I have traveled without the kids. And it's hard to see, but there are a few clear pins marking Cheesecake Factories where we've dined. Just because.

That is fantastic!

Just wanted to say thank you for your very entertaining TR!! I'm planning a vacation to Hawaii next June and so your TR was very helpful. And funny! :)

I know its been awhile, but I missed your wrap up. Very nice. Taking the time to make good vacation memories is so important! We did some family vacations as a kid, but I don't remember them being much fun. Think National Lampoon's Vacation minus the dead aunt and Wally World. :rotfl2: That is one of the things we tried to do with our boys - make memories, and now they value that for their families - makes me proud.

Mexican food in Phoenix - We loved a chain - Macayo's. Mostly due to the queso dip - white cheese and cream cheese recipe - Yummo! What side of town are you staying at? I know of a good but hot hole in the wall place. We also liked Mi Amigos - great Bloody Mary Bar on weekend mornings - and Sand Bar - ok for lunch or early evening with kids - they have a little man made beach in the outdoor bar area, but lots of seating inside. Another local chain we liked was Aunt Chilada's.

Oh, and there is an interesting tour of a mansion built into the rock by an eccentric who thought he was dying of TB - fun quirky tour if you have the time - Mystery Castle - http://visitphoenix.com/things-to-do/1716/mystery-castle/details.aspx they have odd hours but it's worth an hour if you are near there - we lived near it on the other side of South Mountain.

Since this just popped up and your ticker says only 5 more days until you leave for the next trip, this is a great time to say:

Have a fantastic time with quiet babies, lovely children, perfect weather, marvelous adventures and just a plain good time!!

I know its been awhile, but I missed your wrap up. Very nice. Taking the time to make good vacation memories is so important! We did some family vacations as a kid, but I don't remember them being much fun. Think National Lampoon's Vacation minus the dead aunt and Wally World. :rotfl2:

:eek: You dragged a dog to death behind your car?! :rotfl:

That is one of the things we tried to do with our boys - make memories, and now they value that for their families - makes me proud.

:goodvibes And welcome back to the TR!

Mexican food in Phoenix - We loved a chain - Macayo's. Mostly due to the queso dip - white cheese and cream cheese recipe - Yummo! What side of town are you staying at? I know of a good but hot hole in the wall place. We also liked Mi Amigos - great Bloody Mary Bar on weekend mornings - and Sand Bar - ok for lunch or early evening with kids - they have a little man made beach in the outdoor bar area, but lots of seating inside. Another local chain we liked was Aunt Chilada's.

Thanks for the recommendations! We are staying on the north side of the city. The hotel is actually right next to North Mountain park, if that helps. I found a bbq place and wood-fired pizza place that look promising as well.

Oh, and there is an interesting tour of a mansion built into the rock by an eccentric who thought he was dying of TB - fun quirky tour if you have the time - Mystery Castle - http://visitphoenix.com/things-to-do/1716/mystery-castle/details.aspx they have odd hours but it's worth an hour if you are near there - we lived near it on the other side of South Mountain.

Sounds cool! I think we probably won't have the time on this trip, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Since this just popped up and your ticker says only 5 more days until you leave for the next trip, this is a great time to say:

Have a fantastic time with quiet babies, lovely children, perfect weather, marvelous adventures and just a plain good time!!

Thank you Magdalene! From your lips to God's ears. :goodvibes

Right now we're having that "Are we biting off more than we can chew?" moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter