• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And Yet Another One...7/17

DizNee Luver

Luver of all things Disney!
So much for the rule of "3" with celebrity deaths....... this morning Billy Mays (the infocommercial guy) was found dead by his wife. He was on a flight that made a rough landing (and the airlines has already said he wasn't wearing his seatbelt) and some things fell from the ceiling of the plane & hit him in the head. They don't know these are related, but could have been a slow bleed. He was 50.

Enough already......I would hate to be a celebrity this month!!

So much for the rule of "3" with celebrity deaths....... this morning Billy Mays (the infocommercial guy) was found dead by his wife. He was on a flight that made a rough landing (and the airlines has already said he wasn't wearing his seatbelt) and some things fell from the ceiling of the plane & hit him in the head. They don't know these are related, but could have been a slow bleed. He was 50.

Enough already......I would hate to be a celebrity this month!!

I have noticed in the past that sometimes there are two groups of 3 back to back, but not all of the celebrities are super famous. When the Michael Jackson news hit the other day, one of my friends called me right away to discuss it as we both were glued to the TV (we both grew up in the MTV golden age of 24-hour videos, and Michael Jackson was part of that music culture - his videos were on all the time and "Thriller" was an event), and my friend made a remark about how 3 had died that week. And I said, "Hmmm....well, if Michael was the last of the three, then that means David Carradine was the last in a different series of 3. So who died right before David Carradine? Otherwise, if David Carradine was the FIRST in a series of 3, then Farrah would have been the last, and Michael would be the FIRST in a new series, meaning there are 2 more coming soon!!!" Yes, I was actually sitting there doing the math in my head!!:rotfl:

So, and this sounds horrible and macabre but...the celebrites who are in bad shape are, of course, Patrick Swayze and Walter Cronkite. I hope the '3' curse is broken, because I can't handle anymore. I was sad about Ed, Farrah and Michael, and I was a little curious about the David Carradine death because of the circumstances, but I don't want to see anyone else go right now.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about David Carradine!!!

I'm right there with you Sherry on the MTV glory days.....when they actually played music videos!! Mike & I remember staying up to midnight for the premiere of the Thriller video/mini movie. It was awesome & so were a ton of other videos he did.

So if the Rule of 3 holds true, then yes.......there would/will be 1 more in the next few days........and also like you........I HOPE NOT!

I was kind of thinking the same thing, that if D. Carradine is 1, then there will be one more to make up the second group of 3 :(

Of course this is all myth, but does Kenny Rankin count? How 'celeb' does one need to be?

Now I hear that Gale Storm and Fred Travelena have died, so maybe that completes set #3, myth or not. I guess Kenny Rankin and David Carradine go into a set that predates last week.

We have another celeb, so think we are on the second set of 3's (with David Carradine there were 2 other lesser known celebs, but have forgotten their names. Will try to google and add their names).

1.Billy Mays
2.Yesterday Karl Malden passed. 97 yrs old - a good life.

RIP, Mr. Malden.

1. David Carradine
2. Ed McMahon
3. Farrah Fawcett

1. Michael Jackson
2. Billy Mays
3. Karl Malden

The law of 3s creeps me out.

- Dreams

Two character actors died right after David Carradine, so that was three then and it was a few weeks ago.

Then we had:
Ed McMahon
Farrah Fawcett
Michael Jackson

then
Billy Mays
Karl Malden

Who's next???

Fred Travalena, 66 passed away also......he was a comedian that was pretty popular when I was younger. He kinda had a rubbery face (the man with a thousand faces is a nickname he had). He did impressions & such.

I also saw that Gale Storm, 87 an actress had passed.

Both of these were also during that time. Hollywood lost a number of talented people....all from different eras.

My fear is Walter Cronkite, Patrick Swayze & even Elizabeth Taylor (she was very close to Michael Jackson, not in the greatest health & could easily become one of those people that go from a broken heart).

Sounds like LA will be crazy on Tuesday with MJ's memorial being held at the Staple Center......I wonder if they'll broadcast it??? They should!

Fred Travalena, 66 passed away also......he was a comedian that was pretty popular when I was younger. He kinda had a rubbery face (the man with a thousand faces is a nickname he had). He did impressions & such.

I also saw that Gale Storm, 87 an actress had passed.

Both of these were also during that time. Hollywood lost a number of talented people....all from different eras.

My fear is Walter Cronkite, Patrick Swayze & even Elizabeth Taylor (she was very close to Michael Jackson, not in the greatest health & could easily become one of those people that go from a broken heart).

Sounds like LA will be crazy on Tuesday with MJ's memorial being held at the Staple Center......I wonder if they'll broadcast it??? They should!

I don't mean to sound dismal, but I would be shocked if Patrick Swayze lasted the year. This sounds horrible, but in a way, if he is suffering, I kind of wish he could go quickly and not have to be in agony. I am sure his wife wants hims around as long as possible, but I feel like his final days are going to end up being like Farrah's.

Yes, the MJ memorial is going to be broadcast, There was just a press conference a few minutes ago and the speakers said that the memorial will be a live feed on every channel that wants to air it (and you know they only do that live feed on every channel thing for rare events, like the telethons after 9/11, after the tsunami in 2004 and after Hurricane Katrina, etc.), and they are working it out with the press and media who will get to attend. I am not sure of the time it will be on yet, or who is performing. There was some confusion because at one point there was talk of a Michael Jackson tribute concert wiht Madonna, Paul McCartney, etc., etc., but I don't think this Memorial is supposed to be that concert. The tickets for the memorial are free, and it is basically like a lottery - if your name is drawn you get to go. BUT, because California is in such bad financial shape - especially Los Angeles - there were some questions about how much of the City's money is going to this memorial. I can attest to the fact that the City and State are lacking in workers because of all the layoffs and cutbacks recently - yesterday we had a power outage at 7:45 in the morning and the work guys didn't even get out to fix it until after 8:00 p.m. I just wrote about it in my Trip Report. The DWP is short-staffed. Not enough workmen to go around. So that is a direct result of the economy, and people are wondeing who is footing the bill for this MJ memorial.

MJ's death is almost turning out to be presidential-level or Princess Diana-level in terms of coverage. I can't think of another person who would be getting this kind of post-death coverage a week later other than a President. I don't think Madonna would get it. I don't even think Paul McCartney would get it and he is a Beatle.

Laurie, those are the two whose names I could not remember, although later in the month than I'd thought - thank you!

I bet they do broadcast it - CNN and MSNC will likely for sure, if it's available and cannot imagine the family not wanting it broadcast.

I was surprised to see the inside of the house was cozy for such a large place..and prettier, but probably because his furniture and statues were gone.

Laurie...look at all these DIS members who have been visited by the Tag fairy!! Are we the only one left without a cool/pretty tag??? :sad:

Laurie...look at all these DIS members who have been visited by the Tag fairy!! Are we the only one left without a cool/pretty tag??? :sad:

Yes, they are broadcasting MJ's memorial (see my above post).

I wish I had Tag Fairy capabilities and I could wave my magic wand for those who don't have tags (and there are many), but I do not have such magic at my fingertips! I can delete or move a thread, but I can't tag you!:lmao:

Yes, they are broadcasting MJ's memorial (see my above post).

I wish I had Tag Fairy capabilities and I could wave my magic wand for those who don't have tags (and there are many), but I do not have such magic at my fingertips! I can delete or move a thread, but I can't tag you!:lmao:

Aww, but it was sweet of you to even think of it!!
icon_tinkRight.gif

And who knows..maybe someday all of we tagless DISers will be surprised!

Aww, but it was sweet of you to even think of it!!
icon_tinkRight.gif

And who knows..maybe someday all of we tagless DISers will be surprised!

I actually do not know who does the tagging (I thought I would solve this great mystery once becoming a mod on the board, but I was wrong!!). Apparently, it is a closely guarded secret! But yes, I think the fun of being tagged is that you never know when it will happen or WHAT the tag will be, if you will get one tag or two, etc. It is very random.

Cool Beans about the broadcast. I do think that his memorial will rank up their with Princess Di's. He was so loved worldwide & made such a huge impact on the music world that it wouldn't be right for his memorial to be a small affair. I really do think the family should be footing the bill for the city. LA should not be responsible for paying the whole bill for the extra forces, etc.

Ah, yes the Tag Fairy.......where oh where oh where can he/she be???? :confused3

I guess I just haven't said anything worth while yet :laughing: But it will happen when I least expect it......eventually I will say something important!!!

We were at DLR when we found out about MJ. Strange how you pick up rumors from other people there when you are out of touch. We were in line and heard people talking on their cell phones and saying something about him in cardiac arrest. Later, in a store I overheard someone else say MJ died?! So that, was how I heard. Then when we got back to the hotel, of course the news had nothing else on except to occasionally mention FF who got a quick 30 seconds here and there. Then later of course, the Mays guy. Very odd to be on vacation and everytime you turn on the tv, someone famous dies. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter