Angie and Evas Italy/Germany Wishes at EPCOT and California Grill October 10, 2014

Skip3key

Mouseketeer
So excited to start this planning journal! We are Angie and Eva, and we are now planning our Wishes Wedding (well, technically its a "Commitment Ceremony")! Its all so very exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I really never thought that we would actually be able to get married in our lifetime, and now the dream is coming true.

About us, we have actually been together 22 years this past April. Angie is a family practice physician, and Eva is an artist (mostly works with glass) with a BA in Psychology. We live with our 4 dogs in San Antonio, Texas, and Angie's mom lives in our guest house.

Angie is Italian and most of her family hails from around the Detroit, Michigan area (Go Tigers!), and Eva is of German decent, and she has a very small area that is mostly local here.

We absolutely love Disney, and this past December 2012, we actually bought into the Disney Vacation Club, which we are going to use for the first time this October for the Food & Wine festival, and am staying at the Boardwalk Villas!

Our plans:

OK, have edited this thread as we have gone back to our original plan, to have the event in October 2014, over the weekend before Columbus day - Great weather (not too hot), Food and Wine Festival, low crowds, MNNSHP... so many good bonuses to this time of year!

We would like to incorporate both our heritages in the event, so we are trying to decide between Ceremony in Germany or Italy, reception in either California Grill or Living Seas, and dessert party in the World Showcase- preferably Italy... we wanted the Dessert Party in Italy on the Isola West (wedding party expected to have about 40-50 guests as of now)... however, after making contact with the Disney Fairytale Weddings office, we have discovered that the Isola West is not available for use during Food & Wine at all, and the Isola is only available Mon-Thursday during F&W. However, the minimum number or people for a dessert Party on the Isola is 100. So we are trying to arrange to have the dessert party in the UK.

Another snag is that none of the pavilions are available to have a dessert party on fridays and saturdays during the F&W, so at the moment we are trying to decide between dessert/welcome party on Thursday with ceremony and brunch reception on Friday, or entire event on Sunday. I already posed this question in another post on the boards, and the response really favored the Sunday all in a day celebration... so we are leaning that way (although it will cut into my football time, I guess I will deal....or TIVO)....

Wedding Party Size: Right now 51 have told us they want to come
Hotel Blocks: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans, Pop century (wanted Art of Animation but it is not available for the block)

As an aside, several of our family are military or ex-military and asked us to inquire about using Shades of Green, but we were told that since Disney doesn't own this resort, it cannot be used for the room block, and rooms here cannot count towards your room number minimums.)

We have not yet been formally assigned a wedding planner yet, but have been exchanging emails with one of the planners named Joe who has scheduled us to have out site visit when we area there for food and wine in October! So exciting!

These are the wedding outfits we have come up with so far.... Kind of a German Style dress for Eva:

Angie is not a dress girl... she found this vintage outfit, and though its not available, we are using it for inspiration..

Nov 2014 Bride here as well!!! Looking forward to reading your PJ. I'm just starting my planning too!!!

So we are now busy trying to fill in the room block... definitely a challenge trying to estimate the travel plans of so many people, but Im not sweating it... I know it can be changed, and I know we will have no problem meeting the 25 night minimum as I plan to use my DVC points to try to book at least 10 rooms for at least the 2 nights around the wedding for all the close family.

We want to do the room block now, even though we cannot sign the letter of agreement until the 1 year mark, because if we can sign the form and get it back to DFTW quick enough, we might be able to get our annual passes to use this year for when we go for food and wine since we will be in Disney this Oct 21-16, AND for the wedding when we will be there Oct 8-14, 2014... so get both trips under the pass!

(and don't forget, going to have to go back at some point for the tasting....Im thinking in May 2014 during Star Wars Weekends!)

Next plan is to figure out the photography...so many horror stories about Disney photographers... and I saw LurkyLoo's Magic Kingdom shoot pictures and that has me rethinking if we are going to do that at all too (something I thought for sure was a must do)... I would like to see of we can do engagement photos when we are there this Oct...

Yay for starting a planning journal! :yay: I love your outfit inspirations!

I'm sorry my MK photos have scared you off, but you will find there are people lately who've been very happy with theirs. You might do a search for threads with photographer recommendations, which pop up here every couple of months. Unfortunately Disney can't guarantee you a specific photographer, but they will try to get you who you want.

OK- so we are now sold and decided on having the entire ceremony on Sunday- so next step is solidifying the location of the brunch reception...

I stayed up until 1am last night comparing the brunch offerings of California Grill vs the Disney Catering brunch offerings... I love the California Grill Champagne Brunch menu, but its pricey at $110 pp- however this includes a champagne and mimosa bar... but at 40-50 people, it might be more expensive then we are willing to go, and I was so looking forward to the tasting experience, that if we went Cali Grill and I didnt get that, it just seems like a let down (paying more...getting less)...

The Tinkerbell Brunch is $75pp- (but I know I can customize the menu some, which is apparently frowned upon at the Cali Grill). Would be nice if the Disney Catering side offered a champagne or bloody mary bar, but they do not... could add bottles of champagne I suppose... but then we have to settle on a location- Attic is too small, Ariels seems too not us, Living Seas looks cool, but I worry it will be too dark and enclosed for a Sunday Brunch, and I dont care for the Ballroom idea (Im at Disney! I want a Disney area!)

I am hoping we get inspiration for one site over the other when we do our site visit in October, but the only issue is we need to sign our contract about 2 weeks before we go to lock in the date- so we have to pick something...

Anyone who has done or seen these locations have any advice?

OK- so just found the "Disney Wedding Podcast"! I have never really listened to any podcasts before, so this was new for me, and I just finished the most recent one, "Nikki & Matt" and now I think the Atlantic Dance Hall sounds kinda cool too! It would be sweet to boat the wedding party over from the World Showcase for the reception... and since most are staying at the Boardwalk, it would be way close... gotta put that one on the list for the site visit!

We had briefly discussed having the ceremony in Germany, the Reception in Italy and the dessert party in the UK... but if there was rain that day... every single one of our plans would be shot... so we think it is probably best to have at least the reception planned for indoors, in case the worst happens, at least one thing won't be affected....

Well... Found a hiccup in our plans to have all of our events on the same day, and that is that the photographers we really want, The Arndts, are not available that day (already nabbed by another Disney bride- darn it!)...

Also, we have determined that our most important aspect of the wedding is #1.- Time of year (October), and #2. That the dessert party is on the Italy Isola... since we don't meet the minimum for the dessert party on the Isola (100)... that means we need to do a dinner/fireworks party (minimum of 50 people). The Isola is only available Sun-Thurs in October... which narrows it down further..... so now, do we have ceremony at 9 am and wait all the way until evening for the reception... or do we have 2 parties, a reception and then a dinner, or do we have a welcome dinner on the Isola, and then ceremony the next day with reception at Living Seas?

Not sure anyone can help us with all the decisions... Just trying to talk it through!

Well... Found a hiccup in our plans to have all of our events on the same day, and that is that the photographers we really want, The Arndts, are not available that day (already nabbed by another Disney bride- darn it!)...

Also, we have determined that our most important aspect of the wedding is #1.- Time of year (October), and #2. That the dessert party is on the Italy Isola... since we don't meet the minimum for the dessert party on the Isola (100)... that means we need to do a dinner/fireworks party (minimum of 50 people). The Isola is only available Sun-Thurs in October... which narrows it down further..... so now, do we have ceremony at 9 am and wait all the way until evening for the reception... or do we have 2 parties, a reception and then a dinner, or do we have a welcome dinner on the Isola, and then ceremony the next day with reception at Living Seas?

Not sure anyone can help us with all the decisions... Just trying to talk it through!

I'd say welcome dinner on the Isola and then ceremony the next day with Living Seas reception... That's sort of the best of everything! Good luck talking it through I'm enjoying your PJ!

So excited! WE GOT OUR DATES!!!

:banana:WHOO - HOO!:banana:

Just received the email this morning from our contact Joe at the wedding office, and we are confirmed for :

Thursday Oct 9, 2014: Welcome Dinner and Dessert Party on Italy Isola
Friday Oct 10, 2014, 9am: Ceremony at Germany
Friday Ocy 10, 2014, 10:30am: Brunch Reception at the Living Seas!

Found out they actually ended up doing lotteries for most of our plans for those wanting the Sunday October 12... so glad we were able to get out of the way of all that!

Have between 50-55 expected to attend now... and couldnt be happier!

Just waiting for the email with the contract now, so we can send it back with the $2000 deposit... as soon as they get it, they will send us an email with the annual passes voucher so we can use the passes for our trip next week to the Food and Wine! So excited!!

Here's the confirmation date dance! :banana::banana:

So glad you got your dates (and that we ended up not competing!) I think I said it in my PJ but LSS was our second choice reception venue but I liked it just as much as ADH! (ADH is better for dancing though, which is why it won out for us). This is going to be such a fun weekend with all of us down in WDW!

So excited! WE GOT OUR DATES!!!

:banana:WHOO - HOO!:banana:

Just received the email this morning from our contact Joe at the wedding office, and we are confirmed for :

Thursday Oct 9, 2014: Welcome Dinner and Dessert Party on Italy Isola
Friday Oct 10, 2014, 9am: Ceremony at Germany
Friday Ocy 10, 2014, 10:30am: Brunch Reception at the Living Seas!

Found out they actually ended up doing lotteries for most of our plans for those wanting the Sunday October 12... so glad we were able to get out of the way of all that!

Have between 50-55 expected to attend now... and couldnt be happier!

Just waiting for the email with the contract now, so we can send it back with the $2000 deposit... as soon as they get it, they will send us an email with the annual passes voucher so we can use the passes for our trip next week to the Food and Wine! So excited!!

I'm so excited for you!!! pixiedust:It is so great that you got your date confirmed and your venues. Now your planning can REALLY begin! I think your events sound wonderful and I can't wait to read all about your plans as time goes on!

Brooke

Hope you had fun on your planning trip. :cool1: Hope everything worked out liked you wanted.

Can't wait to hear more!

Hi, fellow f&w wedding planner only I'm looking at 2015. Is there any information you could give me about what is not an option on the weekends in Epcot. I know you said the Isola is not, do you know if it's just the Isolas or all of the areas for fireworks? I'm not to 16 months out yet so any pre-information I can get is helpful! Thanks! And congrats on getting the locations you wanted!! So exciting!

Hi, fellow f&w wedding planner only I'm looking at 2015. Is there any information you could give me about what is not an option on the weekends in Epcot. I know you said the Isola is not, do you know if it's just the Isolas or all of the areas for fireworks? I'm not to 16 months out yet so any pre-information I can get is helpful! Thanks! And congrats on getting the locations you wanted!! So exciting!

I'm planning a dessert party during food and wine for this year-- they wouldn't book a dessert party for me anywhere on Friday or Saturday. I'm having mine on Thursday. I tried to get the Isola, but it was a big no because that's the queue for the eat to the beat concert and they wouldn't be able to convert it quickly enough. Bummer!!! I was disappointed.

So, I have always been terrible about keeping any kind of diary, and have been meaning to get back to our PJ forever....(well, I was really hoping Eva would want to take over the PJ.. but alas, she has not...) Anyway, we are just 45 days away from the ceremony, and 41 days from leaving ... and time is suddenly FLYING by! But I remember how voracious I was for information about our planning, and these boards were so great, I just want to post whatever I can that might help others as they embark on this journey! We also had a number of unusual wishes, at least things I couldn't easily find online, so I will try to put as much on here as I can for anyone that might be looking for similar options!

First off, as you can tell we are a same sex couple, and that has its own challenges. As there is no same sex marriage in the state of Florida (yet), DFTW is consistent that we call this a "Commitment Ceremony"... but we are considering this our actual marriage ceremony. We live in Texas (where there is also no same sex marriage yet), so, in order for us to become legally married, we must travel to a state where it is legal. Though until our marriage is legal in Texas, and it will likely not be legally recognized for any functions of the state, we will at least be able to have federal tax advantages. Since we have already been together 23 years, we are excited to have our relationship be legal! So, 2 weeks before the event we are flying to California and have arranged to be married there. I wanted to go to Disneyland while we were there, but Eva wants to keep this "legal ceremony" as minimal as possible, as our "real" wedding will be in Florida with our family- so we are flying in and out the same day- in fact, we will only be on the ground about 2 hours in California and home by midafternoon! Found a fantastic company called the "LA Wedding Women" who are reasonably priced and super awesome!

Here are the Specs of the event:
Welcome Party: Thursday Oct 9, 2014 630pm at Italy Isola
Ceremony: Friday Oct 10, 2014 9am Germany Pavilion EPCOT
Reception: Friday Oct 10, 2014 10:00am California Grill, Contemporary Resort

Number of Guests: Currently at 51 adults and 6 kids with us (my family is unbelievably awesome- so amazing and so supportive)
Officiant: Eddie the Shaman... he actually does the voice of Crush at the Living Seas Pavilion attraction and we are very excited to have him! He is actually doing another ceremony at Sea Breeze Point at 10:00, so we are thrilled to get him!
Photos: Vicki and David Arndt
Video: actually going to purchase 3 camcorders and have members of the family video and than edit them ourselves!
Floral: Disney floral
Hair and Makeup: unsure- may just do our own- we are pretty low maintenance
Music: ipod hookups at the ceremony and reception
Special Guests: Chip and Dale at the reception

Budget: It was very important to us to use both the Germany and Italy pavilion due to each of our heritages, and as we are there during the food and wine, it really made it challenging. As you really can't do a dessert party at Germany- that meant we had to do the ceremony at Germany and our something else at Italy (because of course we want to be outside for the fireworks). During the Food and Wine, the Isola West is entirely unavailable, and the Isola itself is unavailable on Fridays and Saturdays. That left Thursday- and the minimum number for a dessert party on the Isola is 100 persons, so the only way we could use it was to have an actual meal there (minimum persons 50 for a meal). So we made the decision to have a Welcome dinner on the Isola. This, of course, blew up the budget as any events not on the day of the ceremony DO NOT contribute towards the minimum expenditures, but what can I say, it is very important to us. Because of this, our budget is currently at about $21,000 for the entire event (travel and hotel not included). Ill try to break it down as we go through each event as I know many people want this info (I know I did!).

Ill see if I can figure out how to link the entries to the headings below as I write them:
Wedding Clothes/Rings, ect
Wedding Favors
Music
Floral
Photos
Video
Rooms and Family
Welcome Party
Ceremony
Reception

Need to use my desktop that has all the pictures to do the rest! Write again soon!

Thanks for taking the time to update your planning journal so close to your wedding! I can't wait to read more. popcorn::

It is so awesome to see another same-sex couple!!!! I'm so excited to read what you're doing!!! Honestly, a huge reason we ultimately decided on a Disneyland wedding is because same-sex marriage is recognized here and it happens to be the state we live in. It's unfortunate that DFTW is insistent on calling it a "commitment ceremony," especially because of how close to legal same-sex marriage is in Florida. Maybe something will happen before your wedding day and they'll relent? :))) That is so amazing your family will be there to support you both. Congratulations!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter