Anniversary and Tour Guide Trip 7/20 - 7/23

bz8bls

Mouseketeer
DH and I decided to take a last minute long weekend trip for our 34th anniversary:love:
But where shall we go honey?:confused3 Oh about WDW...DH agreed:thumbsup2

So I proceeded to call MS to request a studio (three days before departure) and was told that there were no studios available. :sad1: Well, being the disney addict that I am and not accepting the "sorry, we have no studios available" answer, I called bright and early the next morning and behold... a studio was available for the three nights we needed.:woohoo:

Did I mention friends of ours were going to be at the world the same time as us? Did I mention that they had never been to the world before? Did I mention while my DH played golf in the morning, I offered to get them familiar with the lay of land (even though I told them to do some research before leaving). Well anyhow, I became their unofficial guide...don't worry I'm sending them the bill:rotfl:

DH and I were arriving at MCO around the same time our friends were due to arrive (different airlines); they were staying at Port Orleans Riverside and us at SSR (thinking back on this trip, I thank God :rotfl2:)

Well, I should have known that I was in trouble of offering my service as their WDW resident expert when they missed their flight.

Did I mention that they were only staying the 'world' for three nights and that this was their first visit?

They should have arrived at 10:30 a.m. and didn't get to the world until 8:30 p.m. Their family consisted DF, DF's DH, DD (11) and DF's DM (72).

Well, DH and I felt really bad for their daughter missing most of her first day at the world and a planned lunch at Crystal Palace...so we did the noble thing and did a commando tour of MK from 9:30 p.m. until 2 a.m., (well, I did) DH skipped out at 11 p.m. as he was scheduled for an early tee time.

The next morning, I took them to Boma's for breakfast then headed to Animal Kingdom. Did I tell you that they are very sloooooooow people? Throughout the entire weekend, I always added an hour + to the time they said they would meet us. :snail:

It was our intention to meet our friends in MGM to see Fantasmic. Did I mention that they had an ADR for Hollywood and Vine an hour before our reservations at the Brown Derby? Well right before DH and I ordered dessert, guess who showed up at our table:scared1: Well, it seems they got a little too dependent on us (me) showing them around, they were waiting on us to finish dinner instead of touring be themselves...so DH and I told them we were going to skip Fantasmic and we did....

We still had a great time despite being tour guides...I guess we just love showing our friends our home away from home even though it was a little too crowded at times.:grouphug:

A funny (and cautionary) tale...thanks for sharing it.

I find it's always hard to give Disney advice, since everyone's style of vacationing is so different. We once offered advice to my SIL's family (2 parents, 3 boys), who had never been to Disney. Our first bit of advice was to encourage them to plan their visit in advance (details such as some meals, which days in which parks, can't miss attractions, etc.). My SIL called about two hours before she left for the airport, while she was packing, to get our advice on everything - where to eat, what to see, how to plan their days, etc.

Needless to say, they didn't have the best visit, and so are not really fans of WDW. The good news is that we won't have to go there together, with us acting as tour guides as you did for your friends.

I once worked for a woman who took her toddler to MK for one afternoon, in the rain, with no knowledge of the park and no dining reservations. She's now convinced that it's a horrible place with impossible crowds and terrible customer service.

For that matter, I have relatives who visited Colonial Williamsburg for one afternoon, walked down the main street without going into any buildings, then came home announcing that it's a "dump" and there's nothing to do there.

We should have special DDA's (Disney Darwin Awards) for these people. They eliminate themselves from the travel food chain and leave more for the rest of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter