Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

Catching up some more...

13. A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets by James Bowen
This is a true story of a guy who finds this cat hanging out by his apartment. He tells the story of his down on his luck life and how the cat helped pull him out. An uplifting story

14. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
This is a young adult dystopian novel that is part of a series. IF you like this type of novel you'll probably like this. It is also a movie. Pretty good.

15. Fly Away by Kristin Hannah
This is the second of the Firefly Lane series. I had not read the first one but the book stood well on its own. A story of loss and grief and recovery.

16. Perfect Little Town by Blake Crouch
I've had this on my Kindle for about a year and finally read it. It's a novella about a power couple who stop in a small town on their way to vacation. They get snowed in and things start to happen. A good horrifying read!

17. Comfort and Joy by Kristin Hannah
From Goodreads: Joy Candellaro once loved Christmas more than any other time of the year. Now, as the holiday approaches, she is at a crossroads in her life; recently divorced and alone, she can’t summon the old enthusiasm for celebrating. So without telling anyone, she buys a ticket and boards a plane bound for the beautiful Pacific Northwest. When an unexpected detour takes her deep into the woods of the Olympic rainforest, Joy makes a bold decision to leave her ordinary life behind--to just walk away--and thus begins an adventure unlike any she could have imagined.

Enjoyable.

18. The Summer Girls by Mary Alice Monroe
Three young women are invited by their grandmother to stay the summer at her Sullivans Island home. Although they were frequent visitors as children they have not been together for many years. They must face some emotional realities as they re-establish their relationships. a good read

19. Cemetery Dance by Douglas and Childs
#9 of the Pendergast series. One of the series regulars is murdered and Pendergast must find the killer. Good

I now have Kindle Unlimited and several of my series are available for "free".

17/25 Tharaen by Hazel Hunter

This is Book 2 in the Immortal Highlander series. A police detective investigating the disappearance of Kinley Chandler is determined to find out what has happened to her. The detective winds up in Medieval Scotland. Her skills as a tracker come in handy. She is forced to return to her own time by the Druids where it turns out she is dying. Tharaen manages to bring her back to his time.

18/25 The Gathering by L.L. Muir

79 men killed at the Battle of Culloden Moor haunt the battlefield. A young witch brings them together to offer them a chance free their souls and exact revenge on Bonnie Prince Charlie.

19/25 Lachlan by L.L. Muir

The ghost of Lachlan McLean is the first to accept the Muir Witch's dare. After a quick act of bravery, he'll be free to exact his revenge. But plans go amiss when a certain lass refuses to be saved.

It’s not just Harper’s trust fund that’s in danger—it’s her life. Her despicable stepfather only has to keep her alive until he gets control of her money, and he’s happy to kill anyone who tries to aid her. So she’s on the run and determined to stay on her own—so no one else has to die. But a lunatic in a kilt decides she needs a hero, and he’s not easy to ditch.

If Harper can’t convince the Scot he's a liability, she’ll be planting another bodyguard in the ground. And if Lachlan can’t get the woman to stand back and let him fight the Highland way—which he couldn’t do at Culloden—he’ll have haunted the battlefield for two hundred seventy years for nothing.

20/25 Jamie by L.L. Muir

From Culloden's dark battlefield, Jamie jumps at the chance to go next in the clever scheme to earn his vengeance. He’s grateful to be sent back home to perform the required noble deed. Even though his family passed on centuries ago, the place still has a bit of its old glory—and to his surprise, he’s not the only ghost on the property!

Elspeth is determined to wait for the love of her life, no matter what Jamie's ghost has to say about it. After all, he's only interested in helping the American film crew. And he's already broken her heart once. She won't let him steal her eternal happiness as well.

Jamie will have to face up to his brother’s sins or he’ll lose his boon. But his most difficult task requires accepting some sins of his own. And if he fails, the lovely Elspeth will suffer…for eternity.

21/25 Payton by L.L. Muir

When Grace returns home to Texas for her big sister’s wedding, she thinks she has all her bases covered. She’s even hired a Scottish actor to play the part of her made-up boyfriend. But if he doesn’t arrive soon, she may as well confess all, move back to town, and give in to the dark side of the family oil business.

A knight in plaid armor...

As a man or a ghost, patience has never been Fitz Payton’s strong suit. To prove himself both brave and expeditious, he’s willing to finally leave the puddle of blood he lost on the moor 270 years ago. But when his feet find solid earth again, the first lass he meets brings his heart and boots to a standstill. He only prays he’ll be able to save his Grace before it’s time to bleed again.

22/25 Gareth by L.L. Muir

They say revenge is sweet…

Lissa Stuart is thrilled to get a job researching for an upcoming movie in Scotland—supposedly the land of her ancestors. When she brags about possibly being related to Bonnie Prince Charlie, she captures the attention of an angry, embittered warrior.

Revenge is all that Gareth thought about for the last 270 years. According to a witch helping him and the other warriors stuck at Culloden Moor, it’s not his turn to come back to lifebut that doesn’t matter to him in the least! When he gets a shot at a flesh and blood existence, if only for a few days, he seizes it!

If he has his way, this time the last word will not come from the living, but from the dead.

There are 79 or 80 books in the Ghosts of Culloden Moor series and I plan on reading them all. They are a alight quick read for me and a subject I am interested in anyway.

23/25 The Gathering Storm by Julia Brannan (Book 3 in the Jacobite Chronicles)

The year is 1744, and Prince Charles Edward Stuart is stranded in France, his hopes temporarily frustrated, as the planned French invasion to restore his father to the British throne has had to be abandoned. The prince, frustrated beyond endurance, makes an impulsive decision that will change not only the lives of the MacGregor family, but the history of Britain, forever.
Meanwhile in London, Beth, bored to distraction by the inanity of society life, hatches a plot with her friend Caroline to free the timid Anne Maynard from the clutches of her domineering guardians.
Once it is clear that the much hoped-for invasion has been postponed, Alex and Beth go to Scotland for a few weeks in order to introduce her to her new clan and family. She is both excited and nervous at the prospect, but nothing in even her wildest dreams can prepare her for the challenges she is about to face.
An unexpected meeting whilst in Scotland has consequences that may prove disastrous for Beth and Alex. In London, events take an unexpected turn, as Beth's good deed has repercussions that she could never have envisaged, proving that the past is not easily forgiven or forgotten.

24/25 The Storm Breaks by Julia Brannan (Book 4 in the Jacobite Chronicles)

It is 1745 and the rebellion that the Jacobites have worked towards for so many years is finally under way. Prince Charles is in Scotland gathering the clans and they are rising, ready to fight and if necessary, die for him.
At his prince’s command, Alex, trapped by his own success as a spy, reluctantly remains in London with Beth. His clansmen meanwhile head north to join the rebels.

Desperately unhappy, the couple try to convince themselves that their role is crucial to the cause, but hope that Charles will relent and allow them to leave London and join him.
Their wish is granted, but not in the way they expect, and soon they find themselves fleeing for their lives.

In the meantime the Jacobites are gathering strength and heading south, winning decisive victories along the way. It seems that Prince Charles Edward Stuart and his followers will finally achieve their desire to regain the throne of Great Britain for King James. But the Duke of Cumberland is determined not to let his father be toppled from the throne by a bunch of heathen savages, and returns from Flanders to lead the Hanoverian army against them.

Soon Beth and Alex find themselves at the heart of one of the most brutal civil wars Britain has ever seen, one which will put both their lives and relationship in danger, and which will change the history of Britain forever.

25/25 Pursuit of Princes by Julia Brannan (Book 5 in the Jacobite Chronicles)

The rebellion is over. Prince Charles is in hiding, the Jacobite clans are scattered to the four winds, and in Inverness the Duke of Cumberland plans a brutal retribution against the Highlanders who rose against his father. His intention; to ensure they can never rise again.

Alex, knowing Beth to be dead, leads his men into a vicious war of attrition against the British Redcoats, who have destroyed everything in life he ever held dear. Only his desire for revenge keeps him alive.

Meanwhile the Duke of Cumberland is hatching a plan that he is confident will reveal the true identity of Sir Anthony Peters, the man who made a fool of the king, the duke and all society, a man he wishes to capture more than anyone else alive.

I have reached my goal and have decided to up my total to 50 books as I do more reading in the summer at the pool than any other time. To move on then

26/50 Tides of Fortune (Book 6 and the final book in the Jacobite Chronicles)

Alex, now believing Beth to be alive, leaves Scotland and heads south to keep the promise he made to her at Culloden, determined to be reunited with his wife regardless of the danger to himself.

Meanwhile the Duke of Newcastle has realised that he cannot kill Beth, either publicly or privately, without attracting the enmity of powerful people, including the heir to the throne. He hits upon a way of being rid of her forever; transportation to Antigua as an indentured servant for life. By this deed he hopes that the terrible conditions on the sugar plantations will achieve the much-desired death of the woman who has defied him for so long.

Things do not go according to plan and soon Beth finds her life going in a direction neither she nor Newcastle could have foreseen, which leads her to make a decision that could have a terrible impact on Alex as he attempts to discover her whereabouts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jacobite Chronicles. It had the history of the era, both the rebellion and the aftermath, mixed in with a fun romance. Synopses for the most part came from Amazon as it was much easier to copy and paste what they have.

#13/20: The Dry, by Jane Harper. Pretty good story taking place in Australia (Australian author) about a years-old murder culminating with a present day murder. Pretty interesting crime/mystery story and a good page turner.

#14/20: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Another outstanding Kristin Hannah book. I love them all. This one mostly takes place in Alaska. Love the characters, love the setting.

#14/20: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Another outstanding Kristin Hannah book. I love them all. This one mostly takes place in Alaska. Love the characters, love the setting.

I loved it, too! Maybe more than The Nightingale.

#11 Cemetery Girl Two by Joseph Cognard(Me)
In order to write a book you have to read it. Or, at least that's what I'm going with.

Janie's new ability is now fading in and out, as is Vanessa and Keith's relationship.
As Janie starts to learn more about her talent and how it might not be hers alone, she gets herself into a very dangerous situation. It's up to Bobby her boyfriend, and Keith and Vanessa to see if they can rescue her.
Still have yet to come up with title, figured I would during the book but still have not settled on one.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just Private Message here.

#8/30 Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland by Susan Fraser King (2/5)
A fictional story of Queen Margaret of Scotland (also known as Saint Margaret), who was queen in the late 11th century. The author attempted to create a fictional story line around a captive at court. The story was set up in an awkward way where details you thought would be important were never brought up again and the big clash that you thought would be super dramatic was resolved in a really disappointing way. I'm bummed- I was expecting much better.

26/50

Simba’s Mom read this, and I liked how she described it. It was set in the depression, and I thought it was very good.

A Room of My Own by Ann Tatlock

Book 6 of 20: Inferno Squad by Christie Golden

The Rebellion may have heroes like Jyn Erso and Luke Skywalker. But the Empire has Inferno Squad.

After the humiliating theft of the Death Star plans and the resulting destruction of the battle station, the Empire is on the defensive. In response to this stunning defeat, the Imperial Navy has authorized the formation of an elite team of soldiers, known as Inferno Squad. Their mission: infiltrate and eliminate the remnants of Saw Gerrera’s Partisans. Following the death of their leader, the Partisans have carried on his extremist legacy, determined to thwart the Empire—no matter what the cost. Now, Inferno Squad must prove their status as the best of the best and take down the Partisans from within. But as the danger intensifies and the threat of discovery grows, how far will Inferno Squad go to ensure the safety of the Empire?

Yes, another Star Wars book. This is written from the point of view of an Imperial officer, Iden Versio. Iden is the main character in the Battlefront II video game's campaign. Inferno Squad is a elite team of soldiers, like the Empire's version of the Navy Seals. This was a great book with little bits of character development which end up being fulfilled through the course of the video game. I am familiar with these characters from playing the game, and liked the book very much. 4 out of 5 stars.

Also, I am pretty far behind on my goal of 20 books. It's been a busy month with a new puppy in the house. I haven't had a lot of time to read. Hopefully I will catch up over the summer. The book for my book club this month at work is Hillbilly Elegy. I might read that, but I'm probably going to miss our next book club meeting. I might read Last Shot instead, which is a Star Wars novel (of course!) that links to the new movie released this month.

26/50

Simba’s Mom read this, and I liked how she described it. It was set in the depression, and I thought it was very good.

A Room of My Own by Ann Tatlock

So glad you enjoyed it! Another historical fiction I just finished (#21 and LOVED (5/5) was "The Melody of the Soul". I forget the author. It was about a concert violinist (a Jew) and the German soldier who protects her and her family in WWII.

#20/50

Speak No Evil by Allison Brennan

From Goodreads: The murder of eighteen-year-old Angie Vance was exceptionally vile–her mouth was sealed with glue, an obscenity scrawledwas across her skin, and she was suffocated in a garbage bag. The killing seems personal, so police detective Carina Kincaid focuses her efforts on the victim’s much older ex-boyfriend, Steve Thomas. But without physical evidence, Carina can’t make a collar or a case. She also can’t stop Sheriff Nick Thomas, the prime suspect’s brother, from conducting his own unwelcome investigation.

Though Nick is still scarred and unsteady from a recent confrontation with a serial killer, he’s determined to prove his brother’s innocence. But his confidence is shaken when he learns of Steve’s dark side, and when a friend of the murdered girl meets a similarly gruesome fate. With no time to lose, Carina and Nick work together to trap a psychopath, before another unlucky woman faces an unspeakable end.

I really enjoyed this one. And it is book one of a trilogy so hopefully the next 2 will be good also.

#20/50

Speak No Evil by Allison Brennan

From Goodreads: The murder of eighteen-year-old Angie Vance was exceptionally vile–her mouth was sealed with glue, an obscenity scrawledwas across her skin, and she was suffocated in a garbage bag. The killing seems personal, so police detective Carina Kincaid focuses her efforts on the victim’s much older ex-boyfriend, Steve Thomas. But without physical evidence, Carina can’t make a collar or a case. She also can’t stop Sheriff Nick Thomas, the prime suspect’s brother, from conducting his own unwelcome investigation.

Though Nick is still scarred and unsteady from a recent confrontation with a serial killer, he’s determined to prove his brother’s innocence. But his confidence is shaken when he learns of Steve’s dark side, and when a friend of the murdered girl meets a similarly gruesome fate. With no time to lose, Carina and Nick work together to trap a psychopath, before another unlucky woman faces an unspeakable end.

I really enjoyed this one. And it is book one of a trilogy so hopefully the next 2 will be good also.

Just put in a recommendation to the library for this one!

A trio of very good non fictions:

#38/90: Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man's fight for Justice by Bill Browder (4.5/5) (memoir)
A former American businessman in Russia ends up on the wrong side of politics and is banned. However, his accountant is imprisoned and murdered. He then turns his focus to fighting for justice.

#39/90: Just the Funny Parts:...And a Few Hard Truths About Sneaking into the Hollywood Boys' Club by Nell Scovell (4.5/5) (memoir)
A writer, producer, and director, she shares what it was like to work on various shows, frequently as the only woman writer.

#40/90: The Girl With Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee (4.5/5) (memoir)
The long and arduous journey of a young woman to finally find freedom from North Korea.

Well... I might be biased but I think Emelina Grace by Bethany Wray is an amazing book. But that might be because I wrote it. :rotfl2:

27/50. A friend recently recommended I’ve got My Eyes on You by Mary Higgins Clark, and I read it and enjoyed it. MHC’s books are often set in New Jersey, Saddle River area. This is a good mystery, a real, Who Done It!

Just put in a recommendation to the library for this one!

I liked it. Have the second in series on hold at library and tonight will pick up 'Prey' by the same author as one of the characters from 'Speak No Evil' was introduced in it.

Well... I might be biased but I think Emelina Grace by Bethany Wray is an amazing book. But that might be because I wrote it. :rotfl2:
Cool, it looks like it is on Kindle unlimited. I might still have free trial version, got it from Verizon as some bonus. If I still have it, I will try to check it out.
Is this the first book you published. Good to see you like it, I hate most of mine the author is a jerk not to mention his grammar.

Cool, it looks like it is on Kindle unlimited. I might still have free trial version, got it from Verizon as some bonus. If I still have it, I will try to check it out.
Is this the first book you published. Good to see you like it, I hate most of mine the author is a jerk not to mention his grammar.
Haha. Yes this is my first book. Second in the series will come out this year.

27/50 Aiden by Diane Darcy
Aiden MacGregor gets a second chance at life and finds himself enchanted with the fairylike girl who believes in magic, moonbeams, and dancing in the rain.
Free-spirit cartoonist Zoey Barnes has been waiting for her fate. As a teen her Aunt Thea foretold that the love of Zoey's life would appear to her--but at 25 years of age, she's tired of waiting.
Internet dating, crazy cats, and a stalker later, the love of her life finally appears.
She wants forever and a day. Too bad he can only give her two.

28/50 Duncan by Jo Jones Another book in the series. I find it interesting that they have different authors but the theme of the series stays the same
Duncan Macpherson has but one thing in mind. Complete an act of valor in the two days of mortality allotted him by the Muir Witch, in order to win the chance to confront Bonny Prince Charles and put his sizeable Macpherson strength behind a long-awaited reckoning. But nothing in his 269 years on Culloden Moor have prepared him for the high desert of the Arizona Strip, or the secrets that await him there.
Lainey Saunders is a 3rdth generation rancher determined to save her family legacy for the next generation, but she is unaware of the forces working against her. Lainey must face her past choices in order to save her future, but at what cost?
If these two brave hearts fail, they’ll lose more than just their legacies.

29/50 Rabbie by L.L. Muir This was more of a novella as it was very short.
A little trust might mean all the difference...Rabby MacDonald has been haunting Culloden's battlefield for 269 years. But he doesn't linger for the same reasons as the others, and the boon he truly desires has nothing at all to do with Bonnie Prince Charlie.

30/50 Evander by Hazel Hunter Another book in the Immortal Highlander series. I enjoyed it for the most part and will continue to read the series but there are parts I could skip over.
Rachel Ingram is living the dream. Heiress to billions, she’s engaged to the perfect man. But with the sudden death of her parents, her world begins to crumble. When she discovers her new husband’s true nature, her life implodes.

Evander Talorc is living a nightmare. Traitor to his clan of immortal highlanders, he lives alone in a remote cottage. But it was not always that way. Once he had given up everything for the sake of his mortal lover. Then she died of the plague. But when he visits her grave at the center of the sacred grove, he encounters the unbelievable.

Abandoned and forgotten, Rachel and Evander find each other. But the rest of the world will not let them be

I do like the Ghosts of Culloden Moor they are great light reading before bedtime. I am reading them rather quickly though so may need to change my totals again.

A Street Cat Named Bob And How He Saved My Life by James Bowen. Non-fiction/autobiography Thanks Swimnoid for listing this. It was a quick read but uplifting and if you have ever had a cat, you will love Bob. James is a recovering heroin addict who takes in a stray cat. The cat motivates him and awakes his dormant, responsible self.

Unintended Consequences by Dan Walsh. Book 3 in a series. Suspense. Jack Turner interrupts his honeymoon to deal with an emergency at his job. He leaves his bride with his Grandmother and tells her to have his Grandmother tell the story of how she and his Grandfather met. It turns out the Grandmother was born in France and was evacuated to London during World War II. The Grandfather was American and snuck away to enlist in the English airforce well before the United States got involved in the war. It was an interesting story and it did not matter that I had not read the other books in the series.

25 and 26/52

#21/50

The Prey by Allison Brennan

Pretty good. There are two more in this series, but some of the characters go on to have their own spinoff series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter