Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

3. The Maze Runner by John Dashner
From Goodreads: If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.
Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.
Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.
Everything is going to change.
Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
Remember. Survive. Run.

This has been on my list for years. I wanted to read it before the movie came out but that just didn't happen. It is your typical YA dystopian society novel. I really liked it although it leads into the the next book of the series without giving you much satisfaction of finishing this one.

I've read the first three. The first one was definitely the best, but that cliff hanger drove me nuts, because I had to wait another two months to read the next. The joys of being on the hold list at the library!

The fourth one is supposed to be a prequel but I currently don't have time to read it.

6/12 Olivia been triva queen

By
Donna Gephart

This young lady tried to get on kids week so she can go to CA to meet her dad

Two things I loved about this book

One I got to learn about jeperdy and that is dhs fav show and two I have something in common with the main character and that is we both have dads that live in CA

OK, I need help. I just started reading We Need to Talk About Kevin and I'm pretty sure I added this book to my list based on DIS'ers reviews. Granted I'm only about 15 pages in or so, but already I'm thinking about ditching it. I RARELY give up on a book, but I just have way too many books on my "to read" list (over 100), and I don't want to waste time reading a book that's just not that good.

The 2 things that hit me as I read:

1) the author's choice of big words in every single sentence. Very first page and I was instantly irritated. Not sure why, but it bugs the heck out of me. I don't normally notice things like this, but I find it's WAY over the top!

2) I'm on the 2nd letter written by the wife to her estranged husband - please tell me that this is not the entire format of the book? Does it really consist of just letters?

If someone were to tell me to keep on - it's THAT good - well, I'll keep plugging away. But if it's a "so-so" book, then I really don't want to waste a week or two on this one when I could be reading something else - although I don't really have anything lined up at the moment so I guess I'm stuck with Kevin by default, lol.

Hang in there! It's been a LONG time since I read this book but it is one of my all time favorites. Not because of the writing style but because of the perspective of the mother in this story. It was one of the most thought provoking books to me. I don't want to give too much away of the story but it really kind of hits home when, as a parent, all you want to do is have a baby--you have this child, and it's personality from DAY 1 is not quite what you ever expected. And how much impact that has on you. And how, despite all of their difficulties, you love them fiercely but have to content with what other people think, how awful the child can be, and how you continue on when there's just something wrong with them. It really kind of gave me a lot of empathy for what some parents must go through.

I barely remember the writing style or big words. I do know that after that book, I went out and read everything else the author had written.

It is a very depressing book. It might not be your cup of tea!

3. The Maze Runner by John Dashner
From Goodreads: If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.
Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.
Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.
Everything is going to change.
Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
Remember. Survive. Run.

This has been on my list for years. I wanted to read it before the movie came out but that just didn't happen. It is your typical YA dystopian society novel. I really liked it although it leads into the the next book of the series without giving you much satisfaction of finishing this one.

UGH, seriously, I cannot remember if I've read this book? Watched the movie? I know I WANTED to do both last year, lol. I hate my memory. SO frustrating when you can't keep track of what you've already read or not yet read. Need to take a look at my signature once I'm done posting to see if it's listed, LOL!

I did NOT like this book for mostly the same reasons as you listed above. Not only that but I didn't like the movie either. If you had something else lined up, I would tell you to ditch it as it isn't going to get any better. But if you're stuck with it, thee are probably worse things you could read.

Well, I'm 70 pages into We Need to Talk About Kevin so far (by default bc I haven't made it to the library yet!), but I have to admit, the whole letter thing isn't nearly as bothersome anymore. I must be getting used to it because I honestly don't even think of it as "letters" written from a wife to her husband anymore - it's more of a narrative told in the first person ? Much better that I think that because really, who the heck writes that kind of detail in each and every letter? It's totally unbelievable. I'll continue on fooling myself into reading it as a narrative, lol.

The use of big words is still irritating and continues to fester. I think it bothers me so much because I don't like pretentious people, and I feel the author is just trying to throw out as many big words & over-the-top flowery phrases as possible thinking that will make him a great writer. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but I literally have to read some sentences twice just to try to figure out what the author is trying to convey (or at least get the gist of what he's trying to convey).

Some examples (because I'm THAT irritated):

But since we've been separated, I may most miss coming home to deliver the narrative curiosities of my day, the way a cat might lay mice at your feet: the small, humble offerings that couples proffer after foraging in separate backyards.

I could detect from your telltale politeness that you privately preferred anecdotal trinkets from closer to home.

My souvenirs were artificially imbued with magic by mere dint of distance. (These 3 quotes were from the very first page and hit my nerve immediately - I feel like the author is trying to "impress" me the reader and that just rubs me the wrong way BIG TIME)

What a more considerable achievement, to root around in the untransubstantiated rubbish of plain old NY state and scrounge a moment of piquancy from a trip to the Nyack Grand Union (say WHAT? I don't think I ever figured out the meaning of this one - can someone translate? lol)

I never eat pasta these days without you to dispatch most of the bowl. (DISPATCH? Who dispatches their food?? How about devour or wolf down perhaps? Or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong... does he throw it away maybe?)

We commended the inventive salad with ingenuous fervor (again... is this another way to say they ATE their salad or did they just sit there and talk to it with excitement?)

But if I had arrogated to myself the whole planet as my personal backyard, this very effrontery marked me as hopelessly American, as did the fanciful notion that I could remake myself into a tropical internationalist hybrid from the horribly specific originals of Racine, Wisconsin (at this point in the book, I don't bother to even stop to figure out the meaning... just move long... keep reading!)

I have All The Light We Cannot See on my list to read this year. Might try that one next.

Ooooh, I really enjoyed this one! I believe it won the Pulitzer Prize last year too!

Hang in there! It's been a LONG time since I read this book but it is one of my all time favorites. Not because of the writing style but because of the perspective of the mother in this story. It was one of the most thought provoking books to me. I don't want to give too much away of the story but it really kind of hits home when, as a parent, all you want to do is have a baby--you have this child, and it's personality from DAY 1 is not quite what you ever expected. And how much impact that has on you. And how, despite all of their difficulties, you love them fiercely but have to content with what other people think, how awful the child can be, and how you continue on when there's just something wrong with them. It really kind of gave me a lot of empathy for what some parents must go through.

I barely remember the writing style or big words. I do know that after that book, I went out and read everything else the author had written.

It is a very depressing book. It might not be your cup of tea!

Awesome, Christine. It's good to hear from your perspective. If I remember correctly, we seem to have somewhat similar taste in books, so I'll plug away. The plot line itself doesn't bother me - I was one that LOVED Gone Girl so I don't always need to have a happy ending. I just need to somehow get past my irritation with the author's choice of words.

Awesome, Christine. It's good to hear from your perspective. If I remember correctly, we seem to have somewhat similar taste in books, so I'll plug away. The plot line itself doesn't bother me - I was one that LOVED Gone Girl so I don't always need to have a happy ending. I just need to somehow get past my irritation with the author's choice of words.

The author strikes me as a very intelligent Brit!

Finally finished my first book of 2016. The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Excerpt from good reads "high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York"

I read lots of great reviews and was told it was like a cross between Harry Potter and Narnia... um I disagree. I only gave it 2 stars on goodreads and I think that might be overly generous. I really found this book a chore to slog through. It had promise at the beginning - I even enjoyed the 20% percent or so...when he arrives at Magic school, etc...then it just goes off the rails to me. The writing was clumsy and the main character was depressing.

Up next The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai excerpt from Goodreads:
Lucy Hull, a young children's librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both a kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten- year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home.

#9 - God Save the Queen by Kate Locke

Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.
This book sound right down my alley.

Nora is always must read for me, but I didn't really like this trilogy either, which surprised me because I loved all her other books set in Ireland. However, I LOVED Stars of Fortune, the first book in her newest trilogy, which also has a supernatural bent (set in Greece so far), and am looking forward to the rest of the books coming out.
I like Nora Roberts. Will have to check into Stars of Fortune.

Ooh I would love to get in on this...I have a goal on goodreads of 24 and have already completed 4. They were all YA so it was easy haha. I re-read a favorite from childhood, The Giver, and read all the companion books for the first time.

1/24 The Giver by Lois Lowry.

As I said, one of my favorites. I almost named my son Jonas after the main character but didn't. Good thing because the Jonas brothers became a thing very shortly after he was born haha.

From good reads: Featuring photographic artwork from the feature film on the cover, this handsome edition of The Giver is perfect for fans of the movie and the literary classic. Lois Lowry's 1994 Newbery Medal–winning tale has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on Jonas who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. Lois Lowry has written three companion novels to The Giver, including Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son.

2/24: Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.

Also from goodreads: In her strongest work to date, Lois Lowry once again creates a mysterious but plausible future world. It is a society ruled by savagery and deceit that shuns and discards the weak. Left orphaned and physically flawed, young Kira faces a frightening, uncertain future. Blessed with an almost magical talent that keeps her alive, she struggles with ever broadening responsibilities in her quest for truth, discovering things that will change her life forever.

3/24: Messenger by Lois Lowry

Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. Village once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

4/24: Son by Lois Lowry

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive? She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Thank you so very much for organizing this resource!

7/60 - On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn: I like romance series that reveal a little bit about the various characters along the way, so that by the time I get to a particular character's book I'm invested in their story. I didn't get much of that build up in the Bridgerton series, so this final book was very disappointing. I had a hard time believing that the main characters were so in love that they went through everything they went through, because I didn't really get their chemistry.

#6 The Lost Island by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

This is the third book in the Gideon Crew series. I enjoyed it - read it over the course of a couple busy days, but made time for it. It's kind of a combination thriller and sci-fi. I don't like sci-fi, so don't let that throw you off. The authors just like to include some non real world elements.

Once again, however, a woman in danger resulted in a man making stupid decisions. Not as bad as the use of violence and threat of sexual violence against women as a plot point in some of their other books, but annoying nonetheless.

UGH, seriously, I cannot remember if I've read this book? Watched the movie? I know I WANTED to do both last year, lol. I hate my memory. SO frustrating when you can't keep track of what you've already read or not yet read. Need to take a look at my signature once I'm done posting to see if it's listed, LOL!

Well, I'm 70 pages into We Need to Talk About Kevin so far (by default bc I haven't made it to the library yet!), but I have to admit, the whole letter thing isn't nearly as bothersome anymore. I must be getting used to it because I honestly don't even think of it as "letters" written from a wife to her husband anymore - it's more of a narrative told in the first person ? Much better that I think that because really, who the heck writes that kind of detail in each and every letter? It's totally unbelievable. I'll continue on fooling myself into reading it as a narrative, lol.

The use of big words is still irritating and continues to fester. I think it bothers me so much because I don't like pretentious people, and I feel the author is just trying to throw out as many big words & over-the-top flowery phrases as possible thinking that will make him a great writer. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but I literally have to read some sentences twice just to try to figure out what the author is trying to convey (or at least get the gist of what he's trying to convey).

Ooooh, I really enjoyed this one! I believe it won the Pulitzer Prize last year too!

I know exactly what you mean! It's so distracting. I compare it to reading a book in a foreign language and I have to mentally translate as I read. It reminds me of one of my officers overseas who thought he was paid by the syllable. I had to edit the heck out of his reports. Sounds like this author could use a better editor.

Queen Colleen

Finally finished my first book of 2016. The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Excerpt from good reads "high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York"

I read lots of great reviews and was told it was like a cross between Harry Potter and Narnia... um I disagree. I only gave it 2 stars on goodreads and I think that might be overly generous. I really found this book a chore to slog through. It had promise at the beginning - I even enjoyed the 20% percent or so...when he arrives at Magic school, etc...then it just goes off the rails to me. The writing was clumsy and the main character was depressing.

Up next The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai excerpt from Goodreads:
Lucy Hull, a young children's librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both a kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten- year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home.
They get better. Now that the show is out, I actually want to reread them!

8/200 The Macho Paradox by Jackson Katz about men's violence against women. It was written more for men, so I'm not the target audience and I found it just okay

7/12 nerd camp
Elissa Brent Weissman
About a kid who tries to impress his step brother by writing him letters and leaving all the nerd stuff out

Last edited:
#3 - Life and Other Near-Death Experiences by Camille Pagan

Libby Miller has always been an unwavering optimist—but when her husband drops a bomb on their marriage the same day a doctor delivers devastating news, she realizes her rose-colored glasses have actually been blinding her.

With nothing left to lose, she abandons her life in Chicago for the clear waters and bright beaches of the Caribbean for what might be her last hurrah. Despite her new sunny locale, her plans go awry when she finds that she can’t quite outrun the past or bring herself to face an unknowable future. Every day of tropical bliss may be an invitation to disaster, but with her twin brother on her trail and a new relationship on the horizon, Libby is determined to forget about fate. Will she risk it all to live—and love—a little longer?

From critically acclaimed author Camille Pagán comes a hilarious and hopeful story about a woman choosing between a “perfect” life and actually living.

Quick read and enjoyable.

You might well end up loving the book, as Christine did--but as one of the ones who posted about hating We Have To Talk About Kevin (seriously, one of my least favourite books I ever finished---we had a book club and I felt compelled to read it all) -- I don't "need" a happy ending, and actually really like Gone Girl, but, for me, there needs to be other elements which really make the novel worthwhile, and for me personally, well, these were just not there.

I find it interesting to read Christine's comments--because I thought the novel never really delved much into the issues she talks about and skims far too much over the surface given the subject matter; obviously we got totally different things our of that (which is pretty cool really---I like how different things speak to different people)---in any case, I do hope it ends up being one you enjoy and I am glad you are getting used to the narrative style of letters.

Thank you threeboysmom for hosting last year!! My goal was 25 books in 2015 but I did not reach this goal. So, I am making this year's goal a bit more realistic for me -15 books. I am currently reading YA book "Wrinkle in Time". Terrific book so far...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter