Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

9/200-Not My Fathers Son by Alan Cumming. This memoir got five stars from me on goodreads. It was a short read but it packed a punch. Incredibly emotional.

Up next-a fiction book, shockingly enough.

#3/50: After You by Jo Jo Moyes (4.5/5) (sequel to Me Before You)
#4/50: Incriminating Evidence by Sheldon Siegel (4/5) (Kindle Owner Lending Library choice) (#2 in Daley and Fernandez series)

Slow Weekend this week. Lots of reading done

1. 1/100 I saw the Light by Colin Escott, George Merit and William MacEwen
  2. 2/100 The Best School Year Ever by Barbara Robinson
  3. 3/100 The Best Halloween Ever by Barbara Robinson
  4. 4/100 The Bad Seed by William March
  5. 5/100 Christmas in Trace Hollow by CJ Samuel
  6. 6/100 The Name Below the Tible Vol 2 by Rupert Alistair

7. Mail Order Bride: A Surprise Christmas Bride by Emma Morgan
Sweet novella to the Twelve Bride Series. Reading one a month until Christmas.
8. I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
9. The Duke and I by Julie Quinn

5/50 - Girl Waits with Gun - Amy Stewart. This is a fiction book based on true events that happened in the early 1900s. Three sisters who live alone on a farm have their horse/buggy hit by the car of a criminal. They try to get reparations for their damages and end up being stalked and harrassed. That's the true part. The rest is fictional character development of the sisters, the criminal, etc. This book was rated well by several sites and I had a long wait for it. It had a bit of a slow start, but I ended up enjoying the story. It's not a time period that I overly enjoy, nor was the setting one I like (New Jersey), but it was a fine read during a blizzard.

Now I am bookless but have plenty of ebooks on hold through the library.

8/12

“Freaky Fast Frankie Joe

LUTRICIA CLIFTON”

about a kid that has to move across the country and learns that his dad has gotten married with kids

Is not happy so he plans to runaway

And at the end of the book learns why he can't

Finished book #4/65 - Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

I don't think I have posted this yet. This is the 3rd book in the Miss Peregrine's series. Honestly, I had forgotten a lot of what happened in book 2, so it was hard getting back into it. (Main reason why I don't like to read series till they are all out) It was a good finish and there were some exciting parts. In the 1st book, I thought the idea of using these old pics to create a story was cool and some of the pics were so creepy. By the 3rd book though, the pics seemed to not add to the story, but more forced. It felt more like he knew he had to have pics in it and just had them be people the peculiars would pass by on the their adventure or landscape nearby. The ending was a little contrived to tidy it up.

Finished book #3, Lyfers by Rebekah N Bryan. I got this as a freebie and it wasn't very good. It's all about a boy band cruise and their fans. Some of the fans stole the guys leftover food and sheets. I could not relate LOL.

Going to start book #4 today at lunch - Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot.

5/50 - Girl Waits with Gun - Amy Stewart. This is a fiction book based on true events that happened in the early 1900s. Three sisters who live alone on a farm have their horse/buggy hit by the car of a criminal. They try to get reparations for their damages and end up being stalked and harrassed. That's the true part. The rest is fictional character development of the sisters, the criminal, etc. This book was rated well by several sites and I had a long wait for it. It had a bit of a slow start, but I ended up enjoying the story. It's not a time period that I overly enjoy, nor was the setting one I like (New Jersey), but it was a fine read during a blizzard.

Now I am bookless but have plenty of ebooks on hold through the library.

Did the true event happen in Jersey? If so, where? Thanks!

Finished my second novel. FINALLY.

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

For nearly twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time... and about Jamie Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his.

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.

This book was HUGE. I had to put it down twice - once because I had library books coming in and the second time because I needed a break.

There was a lot to take in; so much seemed to happen over the course of this novel.

I did not enjoy it as much as the first one. And I did not appreciate the cliffhanger ending. After reading such a large novel, I honestly needed a break, so wrapping it up would have been much nicer.

Finished my second novel. FINALLY.

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

For nearly twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time... and about Jamie Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his.

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.

This book was HUGE. I had to put it down twice - once because I had library books coming in and the second time because I needed a break.

There was a lot to take in; so much seemed to happen over the course of this novel.

I did not enjoy it as much as the first one. And I did not appreciate the cliffhanger ending. After reading such a large novel, I honestly needed a break, so wrapping it up would have been much nicer.

I think the Outlander books should count as three books!!!

Get used to the cliffhangers. Each book ends with one. Lucky for you, the next one is waiting. When I was reading them, I was having to wait a LONG time between cliffhangers.

7/100 - Crossbones - John L Campbell - 3.5 stars - The villains were flat, flat, flat, especially Chick. I am getting frustrated because a bunch of the good guys met completely senseless deaths, and then our little group of survivors endured an unlikely cataclysmic natural disaster that is going to force them out of the safety of their hidey hole. I'd like to see some rebuilding at lasts, instead of constant destruction and despair. And what was up with the Hobgoblin????

8/100 - Night Broken - Patricia Briggs - 4.5 to 5 stars - I love these books, and this was probably my favorite so far. I love the relationship between Adam and Mercy, and Mercy and Coyote. Hyped for Fire Touched!

I think the Outlander books should count as three books!!!

Get used to the cliffhangers. Each book ends with one. Lucky for you, the next one is waiting. When I was reading them, I was having to wait a LONG time between cliffhangers.
I've apparently been reading it since October, or so says Goodreads. Mind you, I've also read 6 other books (five library books that came in one after the other during 2015 and The Martian earlier this month).

I need a break from the series though... so I'm going to have to live with that cliffhanger for a while yet!

Finished book #3, Lyfers by Rebekah N Bryan. I got this as a freebie and it wasn't very good. It's all about a boy band cruise and their fans. Some of the fans stole the guys leftover food and sheets. I could not relate LOL.

I have a 33 year old niece who adores the Back Street Boys, goes on their cruises, makes the birthday videos, etc. but I don't think that she would take anything from them. She has been following them for so long they know who she is, calls her by name, etc. Something the rest of the family can't understand but to each their own.

4/80 - The Escape by David Baldacci. Genre - Thriller

The third title in the John Puller series to follow Zero Day and The Forgotten. Military CID investigator, John Puller, has returned from his latest case in Florida to learn that his brother, Bobby, on death row at Leavenworth Military Prison for national security crimes, has escaped.

Preliminary investigations show that he may have had help in his breakout. Now he's on the run, and in disguise, and he's the military's number-one target. John Puller has a dilemma. Which comes first, loyalty to his country or to his brother? Bobby has state secrets that certain people will literally kill for. But blood is thicker than water, and the brothers are close although even John does not know for sure what Bobby really did for the government, nor if he's even guilty of his crimes. It becomes swiftly apparent, however, that Bobby's role was powerful and far-reaching. With the help of John's long-time friend and colleague, General Julie Carson, both brothers move closer to the truth from their opposing directions. And this case puts John Puller in a place he thought he'd never be, on the other side of the law, where even his skills as an investigator, and his strength as a fighter, might not be enough to save him. And his brother.

I enjoyed this book and would give it 5/5 stars.

The book club I'm in met last night and reviewed Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Genre - Fantasy

Fitz starts life as a royal bastard cast onto the streets, with only animals and street children for company - but soon he will hold the power over life and death in his hands as the Assassin's apprentice.

I read this book a couple of years ago so I didn't re-read it and can't count it for this year. Everyone liked it and all gave it 4/4 stars.

I have a 33 year old niece who adores the Back Street Boys, goes on their cruises, makes the birthday videos, etc. but I don't think that she would take anything from them. She has been following them for so long they know who she is, calls her by name, etc. Something the rest of the family can't understand but to each their own.

I'm an NKOTB fan so I get it. But I would never take a piece of bread that Joey McIntyre bit into and then cast aside as trash. Gross! LOL

I've apparently been reading it since October, or so says Goodreads. Mind you, I've also read 6 other books (five library books that came in one after the other during 2015 and The Martian earlier this month).

I need a break from the series though... so I'm going to have to live with that cliffhanger for a while yet!

As much as I LOVED the Outlander series, I couldn't read them back-to-back either. I wish I could have read them one right after the other because I think I forgot a lot in between the books. I sometimes even took breaks DURING one of the books - I'd alternate days between reading an Outlander and another fiction book (usually a lot lighter!)

4/35 -- The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan – (from the Amazon Kindle Website)Menina Walker was a child of fortune. Rescued after a hurricane in South America, doomed to a life of poverty with a swallow medal as her only legacy, the orphaned toddler was adopted by an American family and taken to a new life. As a beautiful, intelligent woman of nineteen, she is in love, engaged, and excited about the future—until another traumatic event shatters her dreams. Menina flees to Spain to bury her misery in research for her college thesis about a sixteenth-century artist who signed his works with the image of a swallow—the same image as the one on Menina’s medal. But a mugging strands Menina in a musty, isolated Spanish convent. Exploring her surroundings, she discovers the epic sagas of five orphan girls who were hidden from the Spanish Inquisition and received help escaping to the New World. Is Menina’s medal a link to them, or to her own past? Did coincidence lead her to the convent, or fate?

I don’t even know where to begin on this book really. It’s dense. It took me a while to even really get into. The writing is fine and well researched for the historical fiction parts, but the story just plods along at times and shifts and changes too much. It was just too much in one book which lead to unfinished storylines with an ending that just tries too hard. If I didn’t have a Catholic upbringing I’m not sure I would have made it through or understood some of this book. For me there were too many themes trying to do too much. This book just doesn't know what it's trying to be -- modern fiction, historical fiction -- spanning way too much time and geography (it's like the author thought, "I've done all of this research so I must cram it all into this one book!"), thriller, romance? It's just too much for me.

#2/20 The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin - I enjoyed this book about Charles Lindbergh and his family told as if his wife were telling her story. I learned many things about this complicated man. Read this if you like reading about historical figures.

#3/29 Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - I was not in love with this book. It tells the story of death of a young girl born to a Chinese father and Caucasian mother. It gets into the pressure parents put on their children to fulfill their own failed dreams.

Ooh I would love to get in on this...I have a goal on goodreads of 24 and have already completed 4. They were all YA so it was easy haha. I re-read a favorite from childhood, The Giver, and read all the companion books for the first time.

1/24 The Giver by Lois Lowry.

As I said, one of my favorites. I almost named my son Jonas after the main character but didn't. Good thing because the Jonas brothers became a thing very shortly after he was born haha.

From good reads: Featuring photographic artwork from the feature film on the cover, this handsome edition of The Giver is perfect for fans of the movie and the literary classic. Lois Lowry's 1994 Newbery Medal–winning tale has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on Jonas who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. Lois Lowry has written three companion novels to The Giver, including Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son.

2/24: Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.

Also from goodreads: In her strongest work to date, Lois Lowry once again creates a mysterious but plausible future world. It is a society ruled by savagery and deceit that shuns and discards the weak. Left orphaned and physically flawed, young Kira faces a frightening, uncertain future. Blessed with an almost magical talent that keeps her alive, she struggles with ever broadening responsibilities in her quest for truth, discovering things that will change her life forever.

3/24: Messenger by Lois Lowry

Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. Village once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

4/24: Son by Lois Lowry

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive? She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Thank you so very much for organizing this resource!

Thank you threeboysmom for hosting last year!! My goal was 25 books in 2015 but I did not reach this goal. So, I am making this year's goal a bit more realistic for me -15 books. I am currently reading YA book "Wrinkle in Time". Terrific book so far...

Welcome to the newcomers :welcome:

Sorry, I got a bit behind with this thread. I had a minor operation on my shoulder a few days ago so have been drugged up and sleeping most of the time. The good news is I now have a week off to recover and so I am hoping to get plenty of reading done.

Hopefully I have got everybody's book count up to date now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter