Another high school shooting, this time in MD

Ok I’m confused, you said that I’m looking for a boogieman that simply does not exist but now your acknowledging that they do?
The boogieman does not exist but you think they do. You seem to believe that the school district would ridiculously twist a rule to punish law abiding gun owners through their children. That's just absurd!

ETA: I'm done with this part of the discussion. Carry on with someone else!

The boogieman does not exist but you think they do. You seem to believe that the school district would ridiculously twist a rule to punish law abiding gun owners through their children. That's just absurd!

ETA: I'm done with this part of the discussion. Carry on with someone else!
If your done that’s fine but I’ll address this all the same. This entire rule was a ridiculous twist at punishing law abiding gun owners. That’s what’s absurd!

If the school board is taking legal counsel from an attorney who suggests that a parent's legal ownership of a gun can stretch to encompass a student possessing the gun under the rule taxpayer's aren't getting their money's worth. A parent or a student with functioning gray cells can go to the courthouse and petition the court for an emergency injunction.

I will have to remember that one isn't entitled to free legal representation for a lawsuit, thanks for the tip.

If only there was a means to discover the secret phone number of legal aid or the ACLU or something.
But the same legal counsel that advised them on this rule is giving the taxpayers their money’s worth? And a lot of parents have Zero knowledge of going to the courthouse and petitioning for an injunction. It’s my understanding the ACLU doesn’t take every case though, not a guarantee of free legal counsel.

But the same legal counsel that advised them on this rule is giving the taxpayers their money’s worth? And a lot of parents have Zero knowledge of going to the courthouse and petitioning for an injunction. It’s my understanding the ACLU doesn’t take every case though, not a guarantee of free legal counsel.

If the ACLU or Legal Aid wouldn't take this case they would tell the person seeking help to go to the courthouse and make the petition themselves. It ain't rocket science. Clerks at the counters of courthouses coach people through the fundamentals necessary to wind up petitioning in front of a judge all the time. I've seen people not born or educated in the US with a passing familiarity with the English language come in before judges seeking help with all sorts of things.

Not only would enforcement of this rule not withstand even the most meager of legal challenges, a student and family facing such overreach would be inundated with offers from attorneys lining up to mount a lawsuit for damages against the school system with no retainer fee required.

ETA In regards to your earlier comments about arbitration and whether it is or is not a courtroom, your blanket assertion suggests you aren't well versed in the technicalities, of which there are many.

Last edited:

If the ACLU or Legal Aid wouldn't take this case they would tell the person seeking help to go to the courthouse and make the petition themselves. It ain't rocket science. Clerks at the counters of courthouses coach people through the fundamentals necessary to wind up petitioning in front of a judge all the time. I've seen people not born or educated in the US with a passing familiarity with the English language come in before judges seeking help with all sorts of things.

Not only would enforcement of this rule not withstand even the most meager of legal challenges, a student and family facing such overreach would be inundated with offers from attorneys lining up to mount a lawsuit for damages against the school system with no retainer fee required.

ETA In regards to your earlier comments about arbitration and whether it is or is not a courtroom, your blanket assertion suggests you aren't well versed in the technicalities, of which there are many.
I never said it would withstand a legal challenge, didn’t stop the school board from trying did it? The first thing most pro bono legal advisors look at is do you own anything, if your not destitute or flat broke it’s assumed you can and should pay for services. I’m not a lawyer but I’ve probably been involved in more legal suits than the average person, 2 currently right now, just finished up 2 others within the past year. Arbitration is different than a courtroom.

Last edited:
I never said it would withstand a legal challenge, didn’t stop the school board from trying did it? The first thing most pro bono legal advisors look at is do you own anything, if your not destitute or flat broke it’s assumed you can and should pay for services. I’m not a lawyer but I’ve probably been involved in more legal suits than the average person, 2 currently right now, just finished up 2 others wishing the past year. Arbitration is different than a courtroom.

But you did assert that a legal challenge would result in protracted legal proceedings and result in massive legal fees that the challenger could never pay. In fact the school system's overreach is so egregious that it would not survive the first look wherein the merits of the case are reviewed to determine if there are legal arguments to be made and for the case to proceed.

Arbitration doesn't refer to one single thing. In some settings it functions the same as a courtroom, utilizes court rules and has appellate avenues. It's also a moot point in the case you're discussing because a school system could not unilaterally insist the decision will be rendered via arbitration.

I might not be a frequent flyer when it comes to being a party to lawsuits, but I think I have a reasonable layperson's understanding to serve me just fine.

But you did assert that a legal challenge would result in protracted legal proceedings and result in massive legal fees that the challenger could never pay. In fact the school system's overreach is so egregious that it would not survive the first look wherein the merits of the case are reviewed to determine if there are legal arguments to be made and for the case to proceed.

Arbitration doesn't refer to one single thing. In some settings it functions the same as a courtroom, utilizes court rules and has appellate avenues. It's also a moot point in the case you're discussing because a school system could not unilaterally insist the decision will be rendered via arbitration.

I might not be a frequent flyer when it comes to being a party to lawsuits, but I think I have a reasonable layperson's understanding to serve me just fine.
A challenge may well lead to massive legal fees, it may also just cost a person living paycheck to paycheck to take time off of work to file a clamplaint to this nonsensical policy. It’s not multi thousand dollar lawyer fees that will stop most, it’s just the loss of a days paycheck, theirs a lot of time involved in lawsuits. If you can hire a lawyer they do it but if you can’t hire someone it takes you doing a lot of legwork, and that’s time away from work or home. A poster up thread said we should just pass laws and let the courts settle it out, well this is what happens when we do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter