Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

I've still purchased a leg of lamb (5 pounds for 2 of us... what was I thinking??)

I would help you eat it! :) You can usually only get a lamb leg at Easter time around here and of course it's huge and very expensive. I'd be the only one who'd eat it so it's off the menu. I can find lamb loin chops pretty much year-round but those really need to be cooked out on the grill (and there's sleet here today.)

Our big day is over! The DGDs were completely psyched for our indoor egg hunt. DD said they were both squealing with excitement in the car all the way over to our house--fortunately it's 5 minutes away. The level of excitement was probably 90% of Christmas-level excitement...and at a fraction of the price!:sunny: Maybe we can shift some of the gifts from toys to candy and save a bunch of cash?:duck: They really had a good time and for the first time ever for a major holiday they didn't fight or cry over anything.:love: They decided they wanted to do an "Easter Dance" for us so they paraded around the kitchen island to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club march and Zip A Dee Doo Dah.:mickeyjum Hope the day has been great for all AlDIO-ians!

No, that's a bad sunlight picture. It's like a candy apple red. Sort of a black hue setting it apart from say fire engine red.
Ohh candy apple red..sounds pretty :)

Howdy everyone! We had about 30" of snow last week, so I'm not panicked about tonight's predictions of "only" 5-8 inches! DH and I shoveled in 3 stages last week; here's a picture taken from my front porch before the third round of shoveling- that's my little Kia Soul with the foot-high snow cap! View attachment 310214

By the time we finished shoveling, the snowbanks were right up into the lower branches of the tree you see here (yes, with the Christmas ornaments still hanging... haven't been able to get close enough to take them all down!). It's getting better; most of the snowbanks are only about shoulder high, and I can actually see down one side of the street when backing out of the driveway (snowbank's still too tall on the other side)!

I had a fun St. Patrick's Day. Went to breakfast at the local pub (live music started at 7am)and didn't get home until about 2pm. I took a much needed nap, then went to dinner at our friend's home at 7pm. I drank a lot of ice water that evening and did NOT stop at the local taproom at 11:45 on our way home! Sunday I made a huge corned beef dinner, as DH and I both love it, so I won't have much cooking to do this week!

I have the cold that's going around so I am just holding on at work today. This week is a short lab (I manage the organic chemistry labs at UMaine) so I think I'm heading home as soon as the kids finish up. Sigh. I hate having a cold! I'm also in the middle of planning a Disney trip for August with DD24. DH is not a huge fan, so when he goes with us it's all very calm and low-key; with DD I already have dinner reservations made, parks planned out, etc. No discounts, so I'm tempted to do it on my own instead of through Disney, but am hanging on to everything (hotel, tickets, dining plan) until I see if I can snag free dining (IF they offer it). Traveling to Disney World is so much more fun to think about than trying to figure out when the snow is going to start today!
Oh my goodness! That must have been exhausting doing all that shoveling. Snow is pretty to look at IMO just not pretty to deal with :D

They did pass a "law" saying we are Michiganders but some of us (rebels) still stick with Michiganians. Can you imagine Texans being Texaganders or Ohioans being called Ohioganders?? I could go on and on and on and on, etc et!!! :teeth:
I had no idea the 'official' name was changed. It sounds better in my mind to say Michiganians. Where did the 'ders part come from? I'm not up and up on history on that.

Easter activities underway here with DGDs. Bunny cookies were made last night, bunny cake will be made tomorrow. DW inventoried the various treats to fill the eggs and we have that under control. Today we'll begin to buy the food for the big feast on Sunday, tomorrow it's an egg hunt and photos with the Easter Bunny.
Just how great is it that there's a chance for snow on Sunday?:sad2:

Everyone have a great weekend!:grouphug:
Ugh and would you believe it the weather people did actually get the snow thing right..the amount of snow has changed of course. We just saw the plow come through...which is odd because it's too early IMO for that so hopefully they come back through. We had quite a bit of heavy sleet there for a while. I'm just glad to be at home with the gas fireplace and heated blanket before it really started. Was driving home and they had 435 going north closed and then I believe 1 or 2 other highway ramps closed--pretty sure it was due to accidents and that was before it was sleeting really heavy.

We ate lunch at Applebee's today mostly for my aunt's birthday which is today. Good thing they aren't a busy place as we had 11 people total. And to think just Friday we were doing a bit of pruning on some of our plants :sad2: We also put down some grass seed in some trouble spots and with the birds eating it and this weather I'm pretty sure that was a waste and we'll have to do it over again.

Sounds like everyone had a nice Easter weekend which is awesome. :love:

I did, too but I'm sad because I just said good-bye to my 20 mo granddaughter. (probably won't see her again til later in the summer) and yesterday to our 10 mo old grandson who we won't see until mid June. I always love the holidays but the end of them makes me sad! :sad1: Glad I have you guys to vent. :hug:

My day started out sadly. Learned that one good friend's dad, who had open heart surgery on Wednesday is NOT doing well, and another close friend's dad died last night. Then I started reading about all the big family celebration preps happening for the holiday, and feeling sorry for myself that we live too far away for anyone to be willing to come for a family meal. SIGH... I know it could be much, much worse, but today I'm missing DD and her SO, sisters and brother, nieces, nephews, and cousins.

We've also had a small change of our plans for today, as I am dealing with what they think is a slipped biceps tendon. Such fun to go to walk-in care on Easter morning! As long as I keep my elbow bent and my arm plastered to my side, I'm fine. Otherwise, pretty painful. I have 800mg ibuprofen to take every 8 hours and a lovely sling to remind me to not use the arm. I'm calling my chiropractor in the morning; although I was never a big believer in chiropractic, this guy has worked miracles with DD the dancer, and about 3 years ago I let him take a shot at my slipped disc and the relief was amazing! I'm calling him in the morning, hoping to get an appointment soon. The lamb is in the freezer and a ham in the oven- much easier to deal with cooking-wise (I like to stud lamb with garlic, sear, glaze, etc. Ham just goes in a pan). I'll put a pan of veggies in the oven to roast- DH has said he'll peel carrots. I feel really useless, sitting here in a sling, but if I try to move the arm to do anything, it's stupidly. Good thing I can rest my wrist on the laptop edge and still use my fingers to type!!

Small change of plans as I am dealing with what they think is a slipped biceps tendon. As long as I keep my elbow bent and my arm plastered to my side, I'm fine. Otherwise, pretty painful. I have 800mg ibuprofen to take every 8 hours and a lovely sling to remind me to not use the arm. I'm calling my chiropractor in the morning; although I was never a big believer in chiropractic, this guy has worked miracles with DD the dancer, and about 3 years ago I let him take a shot at my slipped disc and the relief was amazing! I'm calling him in the morning, hoping to get an appointment soon. The lamb is in the freezer and a ham in the oven- much easier to deal with cooking-wise (I like to stud lamb with garlic, sear, glaze, etc. Ham just goes in a pan). I'll put a pan of veggies in the oven to roast- DH has said he'll peel carrots. I feel really useless, sitting here in a sling, but if I try to move the arm to do anything, it's stupidly. Good thing I can rest my wrist on the laptop edge and still use my fingers to type!!

Good luck to you, Leebee. :hug:

My day started out sadly. Learned that one good friend's dad, who had open heart surgery on Wednesday is NOT doing well, and another close friend's dad died last night. Then I started reading about all the big family celebration preps happening for the holiday, and feeling sorry for myself that we live too far away for anyone to be willing to come for a family meal. SIGH... I know it could be much, much worse, but today I'm missing DD and her SO, sisters and brother, nieces, nephews, and cousins.

We've also had a small change of our plans for today, as I am dealing with what they think is a slipped biceps tendon. Such fun to go to walk-in care on Easter morning! As long as I keep my elbow bent and my arm plastered to my side, I'm fine. Otherwise, pretty painful. I have 800mg ibuprofen to take every 8 hours and a lovely sling to remind me to not use the arm. I'm calling my chiropractor in the morning; although I was never a big believer in chiropractic, this guy has worked miracles with DD the dancer, and about 3 years ago I let him take a shot at my slipped disc and the relief was amazing! I'm calling him in the morning, hoping to get an appointment soon. The lamb is in the freezer and a ham in the oven- much easier to deal with cooking-wise (I like to stud lamb with garlic, sear, glaze, etc. Ham just goes in a pan). I'll put a pan of veggies in the oven to roast- DH has said he'll peel carrots. I feel really useless, sitting here in a sling, but if I try to move the arm to do anything, it's stupidly. Good thing I can rest my wrist on the laptop edge and still use my fingers to type!!
Aww I'm so sorry to hear that for both of your friends :(

Also a slipped biceps tendon? That doesn't sound pretty at all :scared:

Hope you get to feeling better :-)

I'm sad because I just said good-bye to my 20 mo granddaughter. (probably won't see her again til later in the summer) and yesterday to our 10 mo old grandson who we won't see until mid June. I always love the holidays but the end of them makes me sad!
:hug: Totally understand, at least there's Facetime.

We've also had a small change of our plans for today, as I am dealing with what they think is a slipped biceps tendon.
:hug: Geez the illness and death sure puts a damper on the fun, then you start missing your fam, I'm sorry. Holy smokes how do you get a slipped biceps tendon???
Were you lugging that lamb leg around or is this one of those "I bent over to pick up something off the floor and now I can't move my arm?" In any case, good luck with the chiro. I've never gone to one but know many people who've had great experiences with them.

Anybody else? I have a whole slew of these:hug: remaining if anyone needs one.

On a lighter note: Anyone here in ALDIO that has an "Easter Monday" day off? I know it's a thing in the UK--not sure about Canada or Oz...or Oklahoma;)

Some of the parochial schools around here have Easter Monday off, but not the public schools.

I'd never heard of a slipped biceps tendon before. Apparently there's a groove in the bone that the tendon "rides" in normally, and mine's "out." Hurts to the touch, and I can feel it snapping over the edge of something when I move the arm. Most of the pain is right smack in the middle of the muscle, though. It's weird, and I feel stupid, because I was doing NOTHING... just started to hurt one day. This getting old thing is not for sissies! I am holding out great faith in the chiropractor. He really was a miracle worker for DD, kept her on her toes (literally, in pointe shoes) and dancing far longer than her physical issues should have let her. He's the guy that the ballet company and UMaine hockey team (and football team) use regularly; he's pretty good. Fingers crossed (no it doesn't hurt to do that, LOL!).

Hmmm... I guess the IRS won't accept "hurt my arm" as an excuse for late taxes, will they? Sixteen days and counting. Wish that DH's small LLC would send the K-1 form so I can finish the fed return and then struggle with the state return. I swear the state is far more complicated than the fed, even if the state is so much shorter. Filing returns makes me a HUGE advocate for flat-rate tax, LOL!

there's a groove in the bone that the tendon "rides" in normally, and mine's "out." Hurts to the touch, and I can feel it snapping over the edge of something when I move the arm. Most of the pain is right smack in the middle of the muscle,
:scared1: Yow!:faint:

I have a really gnarly tendon story but (like getting old) it's not for the faint of heart.

.bring it on!!!

OK, but you asked for it!;)

I was working in a basement in a room with a very low ceiling with recessed lighting. I had been working on something that should have taken just a short time but I kept getting it wrong and I was getting frustrated. After many tries I finally got it right and in a gesture of victory I threw my arm into the air shouting "YES!" and shattered the glass cover of the light with the knuckle of my middle finger (left hand.) There was some blood but I figured I could probably rinse it off and tape it up. Headed up to the bathroom, running cold water over it it looks like there's a shard of the opaque glass stuck in my knuckle. I'm thinking "that has to come out" so I'm pulling on it trying to get it to budge, but no go. The flow of blood is increasing and a co-worker suggests we drive down the street to the emergency room. I explain to the ER staff that there's a piece of glass in my knuckle and if they can just get it out and tape it up I'll be on my way.

A doc or two come by and they inform me that there's no glass in my knuckle, that's my severed tendon protruding through my hand! Then it occurs to me: So that's why when I was jerking on it my finger kept flinching! They did get me patched up but it was obviously not the simple solution I was expecting. The only upside was that I really didn't feel much pain as I was in shock. My GF decided she would be the one to be sure I took care of the wound doing the appropriate soaking, cleaning, and wrapping as prescribed. A few months later we got married, 43 years ago.:)

Sounds like everyone had a nice Easter weekend which is awesome. :love:

I did, too but I'm sad because I just said good-bye to my 20 mo granddaughter. (probably won't see her again til later in the summer) and yesterday to our 10 mo old grandson who we won't see until mid June. I always love the holidays but the end of them makes me sad! :sad1: Glad I have you guys to vent. :hug:

Grandparenting is bitter sweet at times. :hug:

So very sorry leebee for all you are dealing with. It is good at least you can post here. Take it easy. :hug:

OK, but you asked for it!;)

I was working in a basement in a room with a very low ceiling with recessed lighting. I had been working on something that should have taken just a short time but I kept getting it wrong and I was getting frustrated. After many tries I finally got it right and in a gesture of victory I threw my arm into the air shouting "YES!" and shattered the glass cover of the light with the knuckle of my middle finger (left hand.) There was some blood but I figured I could probably rinse it off and tape it up. Headed up to the bathroom, running cold water over it it looks like there's a shard of the opaque glass stuck in my knuckle. I'm thinking "that has to come out" so I'm pulling on it trying to get it to budge, but no go. The flow of blood is increasing and a co-worker suggests we drive down the street to the emergency room. I explain to the ER staff that there's a piece of glass in my knuckle and if they can just get it out and tape it up I'll be on my way.

A doc or two come by and they inform me that there's no glass in my knuckle, that's my severed tendon protruding through my hand! Then it occurs to me: So that's why when I was jerking on it my finger kept flinching! They did get me patched up but it was obviously not the simple solution I was expecting. The only upside was that I really didn't feel much pain as I was in shock. My GF decided she would be the one to be sure I took care of the wound doing the appropriate soaking, cleaning, and wrapping as prescribed. A few months later we got married, 43 years ago.:)

I liked the married part of the story. Yikes! about the tendon.

On a lighter note: Anyone here in ALDIO that has an "Easter Monday" day off? I know it's a thing in the UK--not sure about Canada or Oz...or Oklahoma;)

Technically, no. But since Friday was a holiday here (Massachusetts) the school discourages teachers from taking Monday off. - So I likely won't get a sub call unless there's an actual emergency, and I'll probably have one more day to do all the housework I happily blew off today to go hang out with family.

I'm a little slow on the uptick because I've eaten so much Easter Feast today all the blood has rushed to my stomach - I'm not quite clear on whether this story is horrifying or heart-warming! :scared::lovestruc ?!?

And what is with our weather?!? It's like living in Narnia - always winter but never Christmas. So wretched. :sad2: I'd be downright cranky if I wasn't leaving for sunny SoCal on Wednesday. :wave2:
upload_2018-4-1_18-34-50.png

I'm a little slow on the uptick because I've eaten so much Easter Feast today all the blood has rushed to my stomach - I'm not quite clear on whether this story is horrifying or heart-warming! :scared::lovestruc ?!?

And what is with our weather?!? It's like living in Narnia - always winter but never Christmas. So wretched. :sad2: I'd be downright cranky if I wasn't leaving for sunny SoCal on Wednesday. :wave2:
View attachment 313199

I know eh... down right too cold and, grey for April 1st! Enjoy your trip to SoCal!! :sunny:

Yep Easter Monday is a public holiday down under, for some. Most shops are open and I assume workers get Sunday rates of pay. It’s school holidays here as well.

We had a quiet day as saw family last week as it was my DS15 birthday, it’s my dads birthday next week so will have a family Easter then, or copy Twilight’s Orthodox Easter idea which the kids think is cool because they think they are going to get more chocolate, because that’s apparently what Easter is all about :sad2:

Hope you recover Leebee, sounds painful and not what you need after receiving bad news. Hugs to you Kitty. I hope you get snowed in Netts. Did I say hope? I really meant hope not :rotfl2:

Yo, to everyone I’ve missed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter