Any Advice for a Minimalist Camper?

_Cy_

Earning My Ears
I will be pure tent camping at FW for a week in late September (in a Big Agnes 'Copper Spur ::1'- if you're familiar, then that will give you a flavor of how 'minimal' I mean by 'minimal') .

Just me, my solo backpacking tent (AKA 'The Nylon Coffin'), my toothbrush, a few spare boxer shorts, a water bottle and my MagicBand.

I'm going to arrange to rent a bicycle from down the street to get around the resort.

I'll have my driver's license, health insurance card and credit card.

And I'll have a few other luxurious on hand: an LED headlamp, a hand crank radio, a tiny tripod chair, bug dope and a good book.

Now while the list of what I COULD bring to be more comfortable and successful is ENDLESS, I'm wondering what you believe 'stone-cold like the sky is blue and the grass is green' that I MUST bring to be minimally comfortable and successful.

Thanks!

-Cy

^^^ He's not kidding ^^^.

One thing I will warn you about, Cy, is that the tap water at Disney can have a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. In the parks free glasses of ice water are available at counter/quick service restaurants free for the asking even if you aren't buying a meal. (Naturally at table service you can get the same for free but there you are usually paying for something to eat at the same time). But restaurant water at Disney tastes better because I believe it is filtered.

At the Fort the Tent campsites have two spigot but the water there has a taste (unfiltered). It has been SO LONG since I actually drank Fort spigot water that I can't tell when I last did. Bottled all the way for me (or diet Coke, bottled water, or peach flavored ice tea mix in bottled water - or a beer). One spigot has a short piece of hose on the spigot but don't drink water that comes out of that - the hose is for campers to stick into their toilet tanks or bathroom hoses to rinse out (even the Tent sites can have a popup with a toilet tank like I have) or for the Disney Cast Member to use to wash down the pavement before a new guest's arrival.

The resorts including the Fort have a refillable mug service with machines around the Fort that you can use to refill any time during your stay with soda, coffee, water, etc. The cup has a microchip that is read by the Fountain machine to prevent unauthorized refills (non-buyers). I think they have ice available and a water option also (probably filtered) but I can't swear to that. The cups are around $20 for price of stay and there are refill machines at the main Meadow Pool Quick Service food area, down at Trails End inside the P&J's Southern Takeout doors, and there might be one inside the Meadow Trading Post (don't recall). We don't buy the mugs but staying hydrated with decent tasting water is a consideration for you (and not spending an arm and a leg). Mugs aren't used in the parks just at the resorts. Maybe someone will come along and tell us if the water and ice options on those machines is free too (I though I recall someone saying they were but not sure).

Since you have a lot of good camping gear it sounds like, maybe you have a good straw-type filter at a minimum?

The water issue is what I thought of.

Bama Ed

PS - in September it is still hot and humid so you will need to stay hydrated.

PPS - don't leave any food in your tent (or smellables). A thin piece of nylon is no match for the hungry, curious ninja squirrels of the Fort. They.Are.Professionals. :squirrel:

2 quality wool shirts should do the trick to keep clothes minimal.
Maybe some sunscreen.

And I think a tarp to cover your tent in a downpour.
other than that- you're golden...your shoes may likely get wet, so a pair of minimalist sandals may be good too. I am going to Norway soon and I plan on taking the Lem's Boulder boots for my only shoe. Disney concrete killed my feet though so I need to take 2 pair to swap out.

Bathing suit and sandals. The heat, humidity and rain is brutal is September. Ideally time spent in the pool daily from 11:00 am until the rain starts will make you much more comfortable and happier with your visit. Early morning and evening visits to the parks are the way to go.

so, our 30’ TT with kids packing 3 bags of toys wasn’t minimalist? I should really explain this to my kids.

But are you going to tell us, Pluto, that you left an additional two bags of toys at home and "only" brought three? :rolleyes1

^^^ He's not kidding ^^^.

One thing I will warn you about, Cy, is that the tap water at Disney can have a slightly unpleasant aftertaste.

Bama Ed
Hey Ed, our two trips last year we used the water straight from their tap and it tasted ok. Water in the MK still tastes like sulfur. I think the water taste on property is based on geography of where it's pulled from. Some of the hotels, but not all by far have the sulfur aftertaste.
Pro Tip. The Brita filter bottles that cost around $9 do a great job killing the sulfur taste.

Hey Ed, our two trips last year we used the water straight from their tap and it tasted ok.

Stratman50th, thanks for the update - as I said it had been a while.

🤫 although don't tell my wife so I can continue the diet Coke, beer, ice tea regimen . She would try to save money and cut me off, she would indeed.. Or maybe DW was giving me water from the hose.....

Stratman50th, thanks for the update - as I said it had been a while.

🤫 although don't tell my wife so I can continue the diet Coke, beer, ice tea regimen . She would try to save money and cut me off, she would indeed.. Or maybe DW was giving me water from the hose.....
Your secret is safe with me brother!

I really envy you for doing this. I miss our tent camping days before we had kids. We’d pull over in the back country in Arizona and just camp. Now I’m too old to not sleep on a mattress. Have a wonderful time.

so you’re saying it was minimalist?

In your own way (been there, done that), yes. ::yes::

Given Cy's minimal packing list (and 5kidsmommy is right), it sounds like he's likely flying in, taking MDE, and doesn't want to pay extra baggage fees in each direction.

I'm just worried for him because of the whole "September" thing. But I have my fingers crossed for him.

Bama Ed

Thanks all, please keep the ideas coming.
I live in the high desert of Colorado where it cost two pints of water to wake up and open your eyes, so I will remember to hydrate because it's an issue all day every day where I live.
The wet weather isn't ideal, but I've had plenty of experience in being "chaffing wet".
The dicey weather would give me pause if I was asking someone else to endure it, but it's just me so that will be alright. I'll bring my best rain shell and some 'not-fooling-round' flip-flops that can take a beating.
I'll throw the Kayadyn filter in the bag in case the tap is particularly unpleasant.

Any thoughts on where to pick up a hard sided cooler to keep the beer cool after I arrive? (no car, but Uber experienced)

-Cy

Love yourself enough to at least bring a tent you can stand up in. :love:

And Sweet Baby Jesus, a fan with an extension cord.

Thanks all, please keep the ideas coming.
I live in the high desert of Colorado where it cost two pints of water to wake up and open your eyes, so I will remember to hydrate because it's an issue all day every day where I live.
The wet weather isn't ideal, but I've had plenty of experience in being "chaffing wet".
The dicey weather would give me pause if I was asking someone else to endure it, but it's just me so that will be alright. I'll bring my best rain shell and some 'not-fooling-round' flip-flops that can take a beating.
I'll throw the Kayadyn filter in the bag in case the tap is particularly unpleasant.

Any thoughts on where to pick up a hard sided cooler to keep the beer cool after I arrive? (no car, but Uber experienced)

-Cy

Honestly I'd just uber over to Walmart for the basics. There is a Walmart close by that has pretty much everything you might need.

-Cy

There are at least two Speedway gas stations on WDW property that have a good selection of beer and associated products. One is on Buena Vista Drive between the Boardwalk Resort and Disney Hollywood Studios.

Speedway, 300 Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

The other is at the Magic Kingdom/WDW Car Care Center between the MK parking lot and the MK toll booths. They are your typical gas station stops with extended selections and they probably have styrofoam coolers. Doubt they have hard coolers. For those you would have to go possibly all the way to a WM Super Store.

Speedway, 1000 Car Care Dr, Orlando, FL 32836

If I'm not going all the way to a grocery store, these are my go-to stops. Yes, limited selection. Yes, higher prices. But yes, closer and less time spent in transit.

Ice at the Meadow Trading Post can be bought (the typical 10 pound bag you get at any gas station) but in September you might need one bag per day. (pay for the ice inside but the pickup may be outside). There are ice vending machines at the Comfort Stations/Bath Houses that sell loose ice dropped into bags (swipe the credit card) but the ice is fresh, wet, and usually still dripping. Plus you only get 7-8 pounds.

I've had to buy the beer at these Speedways when I've LOST the putt-putt contest at any of the WDW PP courses so I know their selection is better than the Trading Posts or Gift Shops at the WDW Resorts.

Bama Ed

PS - Uber and other ride share can only pick you up at the Fort Check-In bldg (not your campsite) which requires an internal bus ride probably between Outpost Bus Depot and your campsite (x2). The Disney Minnie Van service can come to directly to you cabin/campsite where Uber cannot and also drop you there. Disney put that exclusivity factor (pickup/drop at the door) on Minnie Van to justify the higher rate over Uber et al. but it might be worth it.

Last edited:
I would bring a tarp, or pick up a cheap one on the way. Shade will be your freind! And if it does rain you will have a place to keep dry. Do you plan on buying your food at the parks? Dosent seem like you have any provisions for food? I like the wall mart idea, go get supplies some snacks, beer etc. All in one spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter