Any beaders/jewelers on this board - newbie here

vanyel

Mouseketeer<br><font color=db28a5>I like to escape
Hi all,

I'm not new to the dis but new to this board. My home on the dis is the budget board. I've reading all the scrapping threads and thinking about trying it but for now I've just started working w/beads and making jewelry. My dd got me started and now I can't stop. It's addictive!

My question - anyone else on this board into this hobby and would you like to share tips, favorite websites, suppliers, pictures etc? I haven't taken any pictures yet but plan to.

I had an order ready to go at firemountaingems.com but found some really beautiful pieces at a local bead shop, then found some of the same products at Michaels. Spent way too much today on beads!

I'm a beader! Started out making jewelry but found my niche making hand beaded dog collars.

I'm a big fan of Firemountain Gems - their prices can't be beat. But, if you are looking for a good selection of seed beads, Fusionbeads.com can't be beat for price and selection.

I also spend way too much money at Michaels plus I occasionally find some worthwhile glass beads at Walmart of all places for a good price.

Probably one of my favorite ways of getting unusual beads though is to go to yard sales and thrift stores/flea markets and raid old jewelry for beads

Glad to see another beader on board! If you get a chance, post some pictures of your work!

vanyel said:
Hi all,

I'm not new to the dis but new to this board. My home on the dis is the budget board. I've reading all the scrapping threads and thinking about trying it but for now I've just started working w/beads and making jewelry. My dd got me started and now I can't stop. It's addictive!

My question - anyone else on this board into this hobby and would you like to share tips, favorite websites, suppliers, pictures etc? I haven't taken any pictures yet but plan to.

I had an order ready to go at firemountaingems.com but found some really beautiful pieces at a local bead shop, then found some of the same products at Michaels. Spent way too much today on beads!

Welcome to the addiction! :teeth: I'm a beader/jewelry designer, and I teach it too. I spend way too much on all my crafts too.

One thing that I like to do is get the old jewelry, ya know vintage stuff from resales and remake them. You can get some great old glass bead necklaces and reuse the beads with current findings. I remade an old broken crystal necklace from the 50's. It turned out so pretty, you just can't get beads like that now. I always get many compliments when I wear it.

What kind of beading are you doing right now? I have a few great sites that I get info from, and several chat groups that I belong to also.

Thanks for the welcome all.

I'm just starting out with some small projects, necklaces for my nieces and for myself, and some earrings. I bought a beautiful oval piece of feldspar today (for myself) and some other coordinating beads and I want to do something special with it.

Right now, I'm also trying to buy supplies and tools.

DDdavis - I love the idea of picking up vintage jewelry and remaking or redesigning. When I get some pictures, I'll post and would love to see others' pieces. Any sites or groups you can share would be welcome - thanks a lot.

MeanLaureen - I hit Goodwill and Salvation Army store today and made several finds.

This is so much fun and I'm really excited about this board. Why didn't I see it before?

Since you already know about Fire Mountain, check out the gallery there. It is full of great ideas! I find that many of the projects use the most expensive beads, but I change out to cheaper ones, and get the same looks. Honestly the best part for me is the hunt...well followed by the delivery...just love playing with all the new pretties... :goodvibes

I am really lucky that I teach where I do. They pay for the beads, and I get to keep the sample that I make. :thumbsup2 I try to keep the cost at $20 or less, but since I am then buying in bulk, I get to use slightly more expensive beads.

Magazines that I like for stringing are Step by Step beads, and Bead and Button. About.com has a great jewelry making site, and also a beadwork site. Both are FULL of info! Michael's sometimes has hanging patterns that are free too. Also, checking the fashion magazines can be great inspiration. I rip out pages and have a binder with ideas in sheet protectors. Another great source for ideas is clothing catalogs...they are always showing something beaded as accessories...great ideas there for color and style...

When you get into bead weaving, then it really can get fun! Bead-patterns.com is a great place to get individual patterns, and just get ideas.

Sorry this got so long...guess you can tell where my passions are. I have 3 biggies, beading, scrapbooking, and painting. :love: I have other passing ones, but those are my favs, and I can ramble all day about them...

vanyel said:
Thanks for the welcome all.

Right now, I'm also trying to buy supplies and tools.

There is a set at Michael's that is like 5 or 6 jewelry tools. I recommend it to my students. It is not top quality, but it really is great for beginners. Just open the package and check that the wire cutters close properly. I close it tight and hold it up to the light...if I see the light through the cutting edge, I check another pack.

Michaels is great for crimps, wire, and some findings.

When you get into it Fire Mountain has great tools, but they cost more. Or if there are bead shows in your area, that is a good time to get tools too, as they are usually cheaper than online, and no shipping.

I also like Art Beads (artbeads.com ). They don't have as many gemstones as Fire Mountain (but who does?), but they have a nice selection of beads including crystal, components, metal beads and some pretty freshwater pearls. Great prices and free shipping with no minimum.

:welcome: :welcome:

I got a huge bag of beads from an auction near me, and I have no idea of what to do yet.

:rolleyes1

Hey, after the dust settles from where we are putting together the new boards, would any of you be interested in some type of "bead swap" like they do with the scrapping?

MeanLaureen said:
Hey, after the dust settles from where we are putting together the new boards, would any of you be interested in some type of "bead swap" like they do with the scrapping?

Oh yes, great idea. thanks :banana:

MeanLaureen said:

I'm in! I was thinking of the same thing myself. That would be so much fun! :banana:
Can we use the new "swap" board, or is that just for scrapping?

I can't wait, there are so many possibilities :yay:

ddavis860 said:
I'm in! I was thinking of the same thing myself. That would be so much fun! :banana:
Can we use the new "swap" board, or is that just for scrapping?

I can't wait, there are so many possibilities :yay:

The swapping board is just for scrapping right now. We were actually looking into a way for that board to become an actual sub board off of scrapping instead of being a separate board in the line up.

I'd worry that a bead swap would get swallowed up in the scrap swaps since there are so many of them so what I can do is when we get it going, I can sticky it right here on top of the craft board to keep it up top :)

Can't wait for this swap...

Ya know, these swap things are becoming addictive. Is there a 12 step program for this? :confused3

MeanLaureen said:
The swapping board is just for scrapping right now. We were actually looking into a way for that board to become an actual sub board off of scrapping instead of being a separate board in the line up.

I'd worry that a bead swap would get swallowed up in the scrap swaps since there are so many of them so what I can do is when we get it going, I can sticky it right here on top of the craft board to keep it up top :)

I understand about the swap board. The scrapping ones are very active. I do love the way the new boards are set up. :thumbsup2 I find it much easier to navigate. :surfweb:

Thanks again for the hard work!

I am a beader! I am not very "good" but it is fun anyways! I get my beads from michael's and AC Moore. I also ask friends and family for them as presents.

MeanLaureen said:

me! me! :wave:

:banana:

Originally Posted by MeanLaureen

If the timing is right, I'll join in the swap - thanks for the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter