any measurements of Kidani AKL pool versus Stormalong Bay?

It's a fair point.

One thing to keep in mind is that Kidani's pool will only "support" about 300 units, so that will help a bit, in comparison to SSR's much larger #.. Though you can also point out it won't have the "quiet pools" that SSR does, either, so should probably have a LARGER pool, since it will be the only one.

But will have the largest interactive water play area.

But will have the largest interactive water play area.

Also a good point.

I wonder how much effect that will have on the use of the pool, itself.

I know our KIDS will be much more attracted to the water play area...but will still do some swimming, I'd think (based on our experience at some local water parks).

That water play area may, indeed, be what tips the balance in favor of the "smaller" pool.

Also a good point.

I wonder how much effect that will have on the use of the pool, itself.

I know our KIDS will be much more attracted to the water play area...but will still do some swimming, I'd think (based on our experience at some local water parks).

That water play area may, indeed, be what tips the balance in favor of the "smaller" pool.

All the resorts we have been, that has had these large interactive water playgrounds, seem to be very popular with the younger kids. Its alot easier for them to play, then in the pool, except for the slide. Plus there is more things to keep them occupied.

I think many people will enjoy the pool situation just fine while others will not. There's rarely 100% agreement on any subject.

Having witnessed the wave of criticism thrown at different resorts over the years, I will say that I think the Kidani pool is likely to be one of the most frequently-mentioned issues with the resort.

Generally speaking, I think one could argue that Jambo may appeal more to the adult parties (up-scale restaurants, more relaxed pool area) while Kidani would appeal more to the families (pool with the water playground.) The problem is that the rooms are much nicer at Kidani (better design, more space, extra bath). I suspect there will be some resentment from the adults-only groups who feel they weren't properly accommodated at Kidani, and the pool would be the focal point of the dissatisfaction.

Seems like every few months a debate breaks-out regarding the appropriateness of children at the so-called "quiet pools" at all resorts. Some adults feel they should have a place to escape the kiddies. At Kidani, not only will there be no quiet / leisure pool, but even the main pool is designed to act as a magnet to families.

I'm not trying to start any flame wars here. Variety within the program is certainly a GOOD thing. But honestly I'm envisioning this as a major complaint in the making. By comparison, the pool situation at the BoardWalk would have been ideal for a heavily-themed children's pool. There you've got the main pool and quiet pool about 100 feet away. If the main pool is just too active for certan guests, they can pick up their stuff and be at the quiet pool in a minute or so. Resorts like OKW and SSR have quiet pools that are just a couple minutes' walk from the main pool. BCV essentially has that sort of setup. The quiet pool is a little distant from SAB, but returning there puts the DVC guest very close to his/her room.

At Kidani, the only option is to walk more than half a mile to Jambo to see if the situation is any better.

At Kidani, the only option is to walk more than half a mile to Jambo to see if the situation is any better.

...which, DVC members will be sharing with Hotel guests (who, I'd suspect, will NOT be encouraged to "pool hop" over to Kidani's pool....though they may be allowed to, who knows). So it's not likely to be much better at Jambo.

Again, you make a good point. The lack of quiet pools is likely going to rankle some.

Those aren't pools you are looking at. It's an overhead view of a watertower-like structures in the play area. They are connected by some sort of wooden trough. The only slide is at the main pool.

I have to admit, I kinda wish DVC had gone with a larger standard pool rather than taking up real estate with the large play area. I've done a side-by-side comparison with the SSR pool (to scale) and AKV's will be about 20% smaller. Just take a look at pool rendering in pilferk's post. I count about 28 people in the pool and things are already starting to get a little tight, IMO.

A better way to compare Kidani with High Rock Springs pool would be to look at your SSR public offering. I know for sure that the Kidani pool will be 5,000 square feet due to what my AKV public offering paperwork says. I have not had a chance to look at my SSR paperwork in a while. I would not trust the Artists depiction of people in the pool as a method of measurement.

I would not trust the Artists depiction of people in the pool as a method of measurement.

I wasn't. I have previously done a side-by-side comparison of the two pools based upon plans filed with the county. It's around here somewhere in at least one thread, perhaps more.

SSR's pool is listed at 6400 sq ft.

With those figures as supporting documentation, I'd say that artist rendering is pretty close to accurate.

I wasn't. I have previously done a side-by-side comparison of the two pools based upon plans filed with the county. It's around here somewhere in at least one thread, perhaps more.

SSR's pool is listed at 6400 sq ft.

With those figures as supporting documentation, I'd say that artist rendering is pretty close to accurate.

I stand corrected. I am wondering if the smaller size will really be a big issue. Disney must have some formula for calculating how much pool area is needed based on the occupancy of the resort. The pool at Jambo house is HUGE. Many members staying at Jambo will naturally just use that pool since it's closer. Since the new pool at Kidani Village is open only to DVC members, and there will be about 300 or so units there. It does not seem to me that this will be a big issue. Couple that with the remoteness of the resort, and I think you will have less people coming back to the resort for a swim in the middle of the day. I guess only time will tell.

I stand corrected. I am wondering if the smaller size will really be a big issue.

It will be to the extent that people will continue bringing it up as a criticism of the resort. Much the same way that one of the first comments about SSR are often "it's REALLY big" or that VLW has "very DARK rooms", people will often point at the pool. Not the entire complex, mind you, but the swimming hole itself.

No matter how many guests tend to gravitate out there on a given day, 20-30% smaller than SSR is going to be noticable. And given the extensive nature of the water play area and the lack of any alternate swimming / sunbathing facilities nearby, the empty-nesters and DINKs are likely to be most disappointed in what the resort has to offer.

BTW, the FAQ on the DVC website has the Kidani pool listed at 4700 sq ft.

As for the pool being offered exclusively to DVC members, are you sure about that? I don't see it listed anywhere official. They wouldn't even have the means to police the area without gates and wristbands similar to SAB. Formally Disney doesn't permit pool hopping to cash guests, but the honor system really has limited effect on free-thinking adults. I suspect it would have even less effect on AKL occupants who view Kidani as an extension of the resort at which they are paid guests.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to bash the resort over the pool or blow this out of proportion. But the fact is the pool will be noticably smaller than others and it's merely my opinion that they would have been better served to couple a more traditionally-sized pool with a more limited play area. I'm sure a separate quiet pool would also have been welcome by many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter