Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

I guess I don't buy the it's anyone's guess line. I would be fairly certain that Disney does know some timelines or has better information than what they've put out there. This is not Disney's first rodeo with a hurricane. They have protocols in place. I guess I'd just like to have an idea of whether or not a stop at CC is even a possibility at this point for the next few weeks of cruises. I just think Disney could be doing a better job of communicating. Typing what you know doesn't take that much effort. Again - it's all about managing expectations.
But what you don't realize is they have to send down a camera by the dock at CC to see what damage has been done underwater. With all the waves and wind at 185 mph it moves a lot of sand debris around which will require the dredging of the port in order to get the boat close enough to the dock. So they will have to bring in equipment to dredge the waters. They have to access the damage at the island and request supplies to make repairs which will have to be delivered. Then the repairs have to be made. Lots of work to be done. This was not your typical thunderstorm that rolled through.

But what you don't realize is they have to send down a camera by the dock at CC to see what damage has been done underwater. With all the waves and wind at 185 mph it moves a lot of sand debris around which will require the dredging of the port in order to get the boat close enough to the dock. So they will have to bring in equipment to dredge the waters. They have to access the damage at the island and request supplies to make repairs which will have to be delivered. Then the repairs have to be made. Lots of work to be done. This was not your typical thunderstorm that rolled through.
You just proved my point. You know this, I know this. So does Disney. They’re just not doing a good job of communicating timelines.

You just proved my point. You know this, I know this. So does Disney. They’re just not doing a good job of communicating timelines.

Disney has in fact pretty much communicated exactly that. They have to check the condition of the dock and channel before CC can reopen and until then they don’t know.

You seem to want them to tell you that that inspection will happen within x number of days and they may not know that with the certainty they need in order to communicate with the public.

If you go to the biggest social media platform and enter under search Blake Burns and castaway. you will find a post from him that shows an ariel views of the island. He is a professional diver, hired to do some inspections in the bahamas.
castaway actually looks good.

If you go to the biggest social media platform and enter under search Blake Burns and castaway. you will find a post from him that shows an ariel views of the island. He is a professional diver, hired to do some inspections in the bahamas.
castaway actually looks good.
Any chance it's posted anywhere else for those of us that don't use that site?

I don't understand what the urgency is in Disney communicating a reopen date for CC. The fact that it's probably unknown and unknowable at this point is a separate issue. For those of you that are on an upcoming cruise and feel frustrated with not having a definitive answer, what would you do with that information if you had an actual reopen date at this point and could count on it? Anyone booked on a cruise in the next couple of months is well past the paid-in-full date at this point, and I haven't seen anyone say that they're NOT booked yet and want the information before they purchase a cruise that's, say, two weeks from now.

I don't understand what the urgency is in Disney communicating a reopen date for CC. The fact that it's probably unknown and unknowable at this point is a separate issue. For those of you that are on an upcoming cruise and feel frustrated with not having a definitive answer, what would you do with that information if you had an actual reopen date at this point and could count on it? Anyone booked on a cruise in the next couple of months is well past the paid-in-full date at this point, and I haven't seen anyone say that they're NOT booked yet and want the information before they purchase a cruise that's, say, two weeks from now.

Agreed! Plus even if it IS open and the ship cannot dock for any other reason, you still wouldn’t be getting there. We were “stuck” onboard the first day of a Double Dip in July because a tropical wave parked over the island. All indications when we docked were that it would be a temporary shower - within a couple of hours it was clear that it was NOT, and the island was evacuated (after those braving the rain had to shelter in the bathrooms during severe thunder and lightning - but we stayed at dock because it was safer there than trying to get out of the channel in that. We got no compensation (well, there was no ship-wide compensation - I suppose some squeaky wheels might have raised heck...I was too busy enjoying the ship) - but the cruise staff team worked their butts off adding in activities. Was it disappointing? A little, especially since the Double Dips are usually more expensive. But I got over it and made the best of it.

Besides - Castaway is the one port where it is not like you could have outside excursions booked to worry about giving notice to.

You are going on a Disney cruise on the beautiful Dream or Fantasy (at this point). Enjoy the whole experience, whatever it brings.

Last edited:
Agreed! Plus even if it IS open and the ship cannot dock for any other reason, you still wouldn’t be getting there. We were “stuck” onboard the first day of a Double Dip in July because a tropical wave parked over the island. All indications when we docked were that it would be a temporary shower - within a couple of hours it was clear that it was NOT, and the island was evacuated (after those braving the rain had to shelter in the bathrooms during severe thunder and lightning - but we stayed at dock because it was safer there than trying to get out of the channel in that. We got no compensation (well, there was no ship-wife compensation - I suppose some squeaky wheels might have raised heck...I was too busy enjoying the ship) - but the cruise staff team worked their butts off adding in activities. Was it disappointing? A little, especially since the Double Dips are usually more expensive. But I got over it and made the best of it.

Besides - Castaway is the one port where it is not like you could have outside excursions booked to worry about giving notice to.

You are going on a Disney cruise on the beautiful Dream or Fantasy (at this point). Enjoy the whole experience, whatever it brings.
Totally get what you are saying. Any cruise is better than no cruise. The flip side though for some this may be the only time they will take a Disney Cruise and their only chance to experience castaway.

Totally get what you are saying. Any cruise is better than no cruise. The flip side though for some this may be the only time they will take a Disney Cruise and their only chance to experience castaway.

And even without a hurricane - or if the inspection happens and it is open, the port could still be missed. Winds, strong currents...the captain will try his (at this point only male captains who steer the ship (Captain Minnie doesn’t count for this) on DCL...hopefully someday DCL will have a human female captain in charge of a ship) best, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.

UPDATE:
bbel you are correct, the ship did dock but the guest weren't allowed to debark.
Everyone is ok. A lot of beach erosion, damage to lifeguard station, sting ray, and next to pier.
CM's wants everyone to help the people of the Bahamas in any way they can.
Hopefully Castaway will be open by the end of next week. Still a lot of work to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter