Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

Does anyone else feel like Disney could be doing just a bit more in the way of communication to those booked on their cruises the next few weeks relative to itinerary? All I've seen is the update on their page relative to CC and what I've read here. It seems to me that maybe they could have provided a bit more information relative to timelines for the survey / evaluation work and whether CC is even an option to dock at and visit. I completely understand that ports can change, or in this case there may be some real hurdles to leap before docking and visiting CC may be an option, but with more information comes the ability to manage expectations... I've said for many years that if you don't provide enough information, people start to fill in the gaps in the story with their own perceptions/story. And that's never good. A simple statement of when they anticipate the survey work to be started and hopefully completed, and what the results need to be for the "all clear" would have been nice. Is this survey going to take a day? a week? a month?

Does anyone else feel like Disney could be doing just a bit more in the way of communication to those booked on their cruises the next few weeks relative to itinerary? All I've seen is the update on their page relative to CC and what I've read here. It seems to me that maybe they could have provided a bit more information relative to timelines for the survey / evaluation work and whether CC is even an option to dock at and visit. I completely understand that ports can change, or in this case there may be some real hurdles to leap before docking and visiting CC may be an option, but with more information comes the ability to manage expectations... I've said for many years that if you don't provide enough information, people start to fill in the gaps in the story with their own perceptions/story. And that's never good. A simple statement of when they anticipate the survey work to be started and hopefully completed, and what the results need to be for the "all clear" would have been nice. Is this survey going to take a day? a week? a month?

They probably don't know. First they have to get surveyors/survey equipment to the island to determine what the state of the docking facilities are. They may not know when that will happen because there is a lot of demand on resources in the area right now and frankly CC is probably not the highest priority when lives are still at risk on the other islands. Once survey work is done they will either know that they can re-open or that repair work is need and I doubt they want to speculate about that.

If they give a timeline and can't meet it that's going to be worse than not providing more specifics.

Please remember the American Red Cross may only benefit the US, not the Bahamas. I would verify this before donating. You would want to donate to the International Red Cross to benefit the bahamas

Also, something I learned when I was a fund raiser with the ARC (29 years ago), if you write a check, put a note in the memo section designating where the funds are to be used. Example: Bahamas Dorian Relief or Dorian Disaster Relief
If you do not, the money goes to the general fund for use as they see fit. If you specifically designate where the money goes, they are supposed to put the money in that "pot" of money specifically.
They actually have a drop down box to donate for Dorian. I volunteered with them for many years and they do support the Caribbean. They required a passport to volunteer overseas and work directly with the IRC when outside the US. Either way people can donate how they wish I just was giving another way to do it.

They won't be able to get anyone there except by boat or possibly helo from Abaco and those small airports there probably need cleaning up. Castaway Cay's runway is X 'd and not usable for fixed wing aircraft so it's anyone's guess when they can get an engineer and whoever the Bahamian authority is out there to sign off on it.

After donating to the Red Cross to help rebuild Haiti, and they built 6 houses with half a billion dollars, I now send my donations to other charities. My local news station did an in-depth expose on the number of houses built with all that money. It was very eye opening. Just FYI.

They won't be able to get anyone there except by boat or possibly helo from Abaco and those small airports there probably need cleaning up. Castaway Cay's runway is X 'd and not usable for fixed wing aircraft so it's anyone's guess when they can get an engineer and whoever the Bahamian authority is out there to sign off on it.
I guess I don't buy the it's anyone's guess line. I would be fairly certain that Disney does know some timelines or has better information than what they've put out there. This is not Disney's first rodeo with a hurricane. They have protocols in place. I guess I'd just like to have an idea of whether or not a stop at CC is even a possibility at this point for the next few weeks of cruises. I just think Disney could be doing a better job of communicating. Typing what you know doesn't take that much effort. Again - it's all about managing expectations.

I guess I don't buy the it's anyone's guess line. I would be fairly certain that Disney does know some timelines or has better information than what they've put out there. This is not Disney's first rodeo with a hurricane. They have protocols in place. I guess I'd just like to have an idea of whether or not a stop at CC is even a possibility at this point for the next few weeks of cruises. I just think Disney could be doing a better job of communicating. Typing what you know doesn't take that much effort. Again - it's all about managing expectations.

There is almost zero chance the ships stop there in the next couple of weeks. I think right now Disney is trying to determine something like 3 weeks of closure vs 3 months. Remember after other less impactful hurricanes the island was closed for months because they had to dredge the ship docking area. Also, it is super bad PR to be partying at CC when there is apocalyptic carnage miles away in Abaco islands. Who knows though?

There is almost zero chance the ships stop there in the next couple of weeks. I think right now Disney is trying to determine something like 3 weeks of closure vs 3 months. Remember after other less impactful hurricanes the island was closed for months because they had to dredge the ship docking area. Also, it is super bad PR to be partying at CC when there is apocalyptic carnage miles away in Abaco islands. Who knows though?
I would hope once they have that assessment done they would put out more information so people could plan accordingly. I haven't followed previous events regarding CC and hurricanes, so I don't have the background that you do. If it's a best-case scenario and the all-clear is given sooner rather than later, I wouldn't expect Disney to bypass CC because of perceived bad PR. They are helping / donating like many of the other cruise lines. That speaks volumes. We shall see...

Possibly, in addition to whether a ship can port there will be what services are available. While the ship's CMs staff the food areas and service the cabanas, a lot of other things are done by Bahamainian people that come over for the day, including excursions. If there are no fishing boats left to take people out, there is no fishing excursion. There are, I suspect, a lot of issues at play in determining future island availability, which, of course, starts with whether the ship can dock.

Assume that you won't be going to CC.

Does anyone else feel like Disney could be doing just a bit more in the way of communication to those booked on their cruises the next few weeks relative to itinerary? All I've seen is the update on their page relative to CC and what I've read here. It seems to me that maybe they could have provided a bit more information relative to timelines for the survey / evaluation work and whether CC is even an option to dock at and visit. I completely understand that ports can change, or in this case there may be some real hurdles to leap before docking and visiting CC may be an option, but with more information comes the ability to manage expectations...

Our cruise isn't for a couple more months, but I think DCL still needs some time to assess things. If I were cruising in the next month, I would set my expectations that I was *not* going to stop at CC, due to the storm damage, and then would be pleasantly surprised if they had the island ready.

I would think some resources, whether from DCL or Bahamians, will do their best to restore CC for visitors, but the islands harder hit need so much more.

Sadly (for those cruising soon) - you are probably correct. So - I'm "managing my expectations". But hey - it's a Disney Cruise, and any day on a Disney Cruise (port or no-port) is a better day than being at work!

I'm leaving on Saturday, and all three of our ports had some impact by Dorian (Tortola, USVI, CC). I agree that it would be cool if they told us what was up so we could all plan (e.g. an altered itinerary, extra day at sea, etc.).

From CruiseRadio.net here is updated info from this morning:

Castaway Cay

Disney-Fantasy-and-WDW-Pandora-May-2017-21311.jpg

Disney Cruise Line’s Castaway Cay
  • Calls scheduled in September: 13
Disney’s private island is located 40 miles south of Freeport. Disney reports that, “Due to the tropical storm conditions the island experienced, we have some cleaning up to do related to landscaping and will need to make minor repairs to the roof of one small covered pavilion area. We also need to evaluate the pier and ship channel, as is required after any storm, before we are able to reopen Castaway Cay to guests.”

Most of the vendors for excursions come from Abaco which is in survival mode right now. I would not expect anyone from that island to be getting to Castaway Cay when they probably don't even have a home left.

I agree to expect that you won't be going to CC and be happy if you do. Even if you do temper your expectations as the island will probably be on the brown side. The vegetation takes a hit when all that salt water gets in it. We have been on a first cruise back to CC after a hurricane and most everything was brown, not green and lush.

We are on the October 27th Magic from NY to Bahamas and I am not hopeful.

MJ

American Red Cross has a link for Hurricane Dorian: https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-dorian-donations.html/
Instead, you could donate directly to the Bahamas Red Cross at https://bahamasredcross.org/

I read that the Fantasy and Dream have stopped at Castaway Cay to drop off supplies that will be forwarded to Sandy Point on Abaco Islands where many Disney staff live. They aren't docking yet, so I assume they're having to tinder to the island.

Visit "The Tribune" for local news: http://www.tribune242.com/

I have several friends on Marsh that have left for Nassau and some of them will be going to the US. The place is DEVASTATED. Even when they clean up CC I'd expect no excursions for a very long time

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I do not recall multiple month closures after less impactful hurricanes. I don’t think CC has had a significant closure since Frances back in 2004. The dock area was upgraded after Floyd, and the extensions that were built to accommodate the Dream and Fantasy being larger, were built to an even higher standard. Pictures from the people on the Dream, taken when they dropped off supplies, show the dock structure seems to be fine. And Disney has indicated there was very little damage on the island. So unless significant dredging is required, I’m not sure why the closure would be multiple months long. There may be some governmental issues involved with the Bahamas being more focused on recovery for their citizens rather than Disney’s private island, but a months long closure solely for physical reasons seems really unlikely to me.

Convoy of Hope is already on the ground coordinating relief efforts with local authorities in several places across the Bahamas including in FreePort which they were just able to reach on September 6. They are also providing relief in the USA as well. They are a 4 star rated charity with charity navigator of 16 years in a row so to me that says a whole lot on how they handle donations and what percentage does not go to administration and or fundraising expenses. At this time sending money is the easiest but if you had a group of friends who wanted to get together and make up a hygene kit or a baby care kit to help replace the ones sent from their warehouse as part of the response from Dorian please just click on the get involved link on their page and go down to build a kit. https://www.convoyofhope.org/

Oh and if you click on the blog and spend some time reading you will learn how COH has continued to work with victims of Irma in PR including helping rebuild homes just fair warnign have a tissue handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter