Anybody else concerned about rioting and Disney Springs?

gatormom2tots

DIS Veteran
I ask because my father who lives just outside of Tampa is begging me not to go on our way down to Siesta Key. We have rented a house for a couple of days in Kissimmee and me and my girls were going to hit Springs for lunch and some walking around before headed to his house in Tampa.

I live north of Atlanta and have been watching all of this craziness unfold so I am completely aware. And I watched last night in Tampa as businesses were looted over in the Fowler Road area...but I wasn't concerned about Springs- especially during the day time. But now he's got me a little worried.

Not looking for political/racial conversation- but just curious if you see it possibly being a target for some of these groups.

If you want to be sure turn on the local news and traffic reports. Tampa is a few hours from Orlando isn't?

Well obviously I would check the news before driving the 15 minutes from the house to Springs and would not step foot on property if protesting was going on. My question was if anyone thinks it might become one of the areas. I know here in Georgia there was advance notice that protests were occuring...was curious if anybody heard or the locals had gotten wind of grumblings.

Like I said I didn't even think to be concerned about next weekend...but he got me thinking.

Most riots are occurring in city centers. I live 6 miles from CNN Center and it’s been perfectly peaceful here.

Well I live in Dacula/Buford (45 minutes north) and they closed the Mall of Georgia yesterday out of precaution. There have been rumours around here of them hitting our area of Hamilton Mill in north Gwinnett. Of course, nothing has happened. But with 3 chidlren with me, I would err out of an abundance of caution.

There have been some protests in downtown Orlando, but that's about 20 miles away from Disney Springs.

And at any rate, Disney Springs is about the last place I can see anything like that happening. I mean, it's a controlled-access tourist attraction on private property in a suburban area. You have to park in a parking garage to access it unless you're a resort guest coming in on Disney buses. Everything in the surrounding area is geared towards tourists.

No, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

They also started up in downtown Orlando. They have no beef with WDW or the theme parks and associated businesses.

Wouldn't even cross my mind. Like a pp said, if you see any activity just leave. Or call the local police non emergency line and ask their opinion.

Although the 408 was partially shutdown last night here in Orlando, DS is presumably a much more controlled environment. I would not let that stop me from going to DS.

If you want to be sure turn on the local news and traffic reports. Tampa is a few hours from Orlando isn't?
Yes tampa is around one hour and fifteen minutes west of Orlando on i4! As for the riots my daughter worked in that shopping center in college for a few months and there was a shooting and knifing there so she quit!

I don’t think it will be a problem at Disney Springs but there could be problems traveling on the highways in Orlando and Tampa.
Last night in Orlando protesters stormed I-4 and the 408.
So the concern is when and where you are driving.
If you are traveling during the day you should be ok but you shouldn’t be traveling in the evening/night
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/ora...-remain-overnight/Q64YBKFFM5ELJGHSKVOFDHJ3GM/

Last edited:
In these day and times anything is possible
Do I myself think it will happen no but people get all worked up at times

The chance of rioting there I would imagine is quite low. The chance of it being impacted due to things occurring outside of there is a bit higher than an actual riot occurring there. For example from the News Thread: Disney Springs is closing at 7PM tonight due to Orange County curfew in place.

However, I wouldn't take that to mean you shouldn't go.

Disney Springs is closing early tonight because of the curfew, becuase of the protests/riots. So they are impacting the area, even if not DS directly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter