Anyone been at Pearson Toronto lately?

Following this thread as I’m taking my first overseas trip to the UK and flying Detroit via Toronto to Manchester. I’ve been reading the horror stories on social media and had a sleepless night last night almost crying about my Air Canada flight next month. I’m concerned about how much luggage to take, checked bag, carryon and personal item or carryon and personal item only, as well as, the delays. Right now I’ve got a 5 hour layover from Detroit to Toronto and an evening/overnight flight to Manchester. Any updates of experiences appreciated. TIA!

You will be fine with a 5 hour layover. When we flew back from Florida they held us on the plane for an hour, but let people with connections off.

How busy has it been at pearson recently? Our flight leaves at 3 pm Sunday and trying to decide how early to get there.

How busy has it been at pearson recently? Our flight leaves at 3 pm Sunday and trying to decide how early to get there.

Get there at least 3 hours before. From what we are hearing from our clients (I’m a travel agent) it’s hit or miss. Some people breeze through with waits of less then an hour. Other people have gotten stuck in long lines.

Many agents where I work are now advising people to be there 3.5 - 4 hours before for a US flight just to be safe. Better to have to hang out at the gate for a while then stress about missing your flight.

Many agents where I work are now advising people to be there 3.5 - 4 hours before for a US flight just to be safe. Better to have to hang out at the gate for a while then stress about missing your flight.
that has always been my thought for getting to the airport. I don't understand the people who want to show up an hour before their flight and be able to get to the plane on time.

Flew AC (T1) to Orlando last Tuesday, 7am flight. Got there at 5, got through security in 20 mins with Nexus. Regular line was pretty long. Flight was delayed an hour due to issues with the cargo door. Gate was shut on time so I guess everybody made it on fine.

Returned MCO > YYZ just this Tuesday afternoon around 4pm. Slight delay only due to inbound plane being delayed. When we arrived, got to the gate right away, but only those with connections were allowed off. After 5-10 mins the rest of the passengers could get off. Flight attendant said it was surprisingly fast.

We breezed through security with Nexus, too 15 mins since we had a toddler. Baggage though took almost 2 hours to come out. Everyone was just waiting around the carousel. We parked at the airport, left at 6:15ish.

All in all, checked baggage situation sucked, but it definitely could have been worse.

that has always been my thought for getting to the airport. I don't understand the people who want to show up an hour before their flight and be able to get to the plane on time.
Please don't forget - many of us are transiting through YYZ from other Canadian cities, and we don't have a choice as to how long our layover time is. Our flights in May, and again this September have only 1hr 55mins scheduled and it's a struggle that we have no control over.

Please don't forget - many of us are transiting through YYZ from other Canadian cities, and we don't have a choice as to how long our layover time is. Our flights in May, and again this September have only 1hr 55mins scheduled and it's a struggle that we have no control over.

We are connecting through YYZ in October and purposely chose the 4 hour layover because of the current delays, and delays we had connecting pre-COVID. We connect through YYC on the way back so hoping to avoid most of the return issues through Pearson.

We are connecting through YYZ in October and purposely chose the 4 hour layover because of the current delays, and delays we had connecting pre-COVID. We connect through YYC on the way back so hoping to avoid most of the return issues through Pearson.
Our only other flight options have 11, 13, or 18 hours layovers.

So flying out of Pearson was an adventure today. Last night our flight was a go. Woke up again 1:45 am, got ready and discovered our 7 AM flight was cancelled at 1:15 AM.

They rebooked us for tomorrow departing at 8:20 PM, which didn't work as the ship leaves at 5 PM.

Arrived at the airport 4:15 to discover no staff and so MANY people! Finally staff started coming out and told everyone they could not rebook and pointed us to courtesy phones to call reservations.

While on hold, another lady showed up who turned out to have the same first name as me and going on the same flight and cruise! How funny is that?!

It took over two hours, two phone calls, and two people running around while one stayed on the phone, but the three of us were finally booked for tonight, departuring just after 8 PM, arriving 11:20 PM. The lady on the phone was so helpful.

Then we had to join another line to get our new boarding passes printed as the kiosks refused to check us in. This is the same line where people check in their luggage. A staff member saw us in line with our carryon and asked why. When we explained, she took our passports and printed out our boarding passes so we didn't have to wait longer. That saved us easily 30-45 minutes!!

By then it's 7:45 AM and we were not allowed to enter the line for security. The lady there was making people with 9 AM flights wait! She said they were letting people in based on flight departures. As we left she just started letting the 9 AM departures in.

We got coffee and sandwiches, snd came back just after 9:30 AM. Now anyone could enter! No one was manning the line.

It's now 12 PM. We're through security and customs. I'm going to put my head down and rest. I feel a headache coming on. 8 hours to go...

Was allowed to check in our bag at 1110. Now seated having lunch at 1130. No line at security nor customs

I would recommend 4 hours early. My daughter was on flight Thursday morning, got there 3 hours early and from time of arrival at airport and to stepping on the plane was 4 hours. They held the flight because of people in security line. She was in line for 3 hours. Get there early.

Wow - it's really hit and miss it seems. We flew out of Pearson June 24 on our way to Kauai. We had a 4:55PM flight to LAX (overnight there, connection the next morning). Got to YYZ about 1:30 - checking bags took the most time, but we were still at the gate in under an hour.

On the way back we had a red-eye connection through San Francisco that got us in at 7AM this morning. Waited about 15 minutes for a gate, then we were let off 50 people at a time every five minutes (not a huge plane so no big deal). The kiosk in the arrival hall took the usual amount of time to scan passports, take photos, etc, but then we were just waived through by Customs, so no need to stand in that line at all.

Waited about a half hour for luggage to appear, which given what is happening all over the world (not just Pearson) with critical staffing shortages is not bad at all.

There is a difference between that and when you arrive at the airport what I was referring to is the people who show up to check into their flight an hour before. In the case of using it to transfer between planes, you should already be checked in and don't need to check in and park at the airport.

For us today, Pearson was a breeze (other than the flight departing 30 min late). MCO was a different story - close to an hour wait to get our luggage, and another hour waiting to get our car rental at Budget

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter