Anyone else trying to diet through the holidays?

I LOST weight on our Europe trip....of course, I was walking 10+ miles a day, every day. Ate whatever I wanted. LOL. Sometimes I think I was made to live in Europe. They walk a LOT more than we do. Getting into your car to go to the store is just not something they do. They walk to the local market, or walk to the public transit to go to the market. All of which involves more physical activity.
That's because they have those things within walking distance or have public transportation. A large number of people in the US don't have those options.

That's because they have those things within walking distance or have public transportation. A large number of people in the US don't have those options.

I'm aware of that. But, even when we can walk in this country, we don't. My exchange daughter (from Germany) commented on this when she was here...people jumping in their cars to drive 1/2 mile. Just would not happen in most of Europe. They'd just walk. We are a car driven society. I routinely (in warmer months) walk from my house to City Hall (where I often have business). It's 2 miles. Sidewalks the whole way. People look at me like I'm nuts.

I am also dieting during the holidays. I have been doing the low carb diet and I did not want to mess up what progress I have made. I had some turkey, plain green beans (like straight from a can), and a little cottage cheese. Of course I skipped dessert as well.

I am also dieting during the holidays. I have been doing the low carb diet and I did not want to mess up what progress I have made. I had some turkey, plain green beans (like straight from a can), and a little cottage cheese. Of course I skipped dessert as well.
I hope your results are encouraging. :worship: With that kind of willpower, you deserve it.

I LOST weight on our Europe trip....of course, I was walking 10+ miles a day, every day. Ate whatever I wanted. LOL. Sometimes I think I was made to live in Europe. They walk a LOT more than we do. Getting into your car to go to the store is just not something they do. They walk to the local market, or walk to the public transit to go to the market. All of which involves more physical activity.

I usually wind up maintaining weight while at a WDW trip, or gain a few pounds at the most, but then wind up losing a lot when I return. Between all of the walking and the change in my normal nutrition, it spikes my metabolism. A week after we return from a WDW trip it's not at all uncommon for me to be 3-4lbs lighter than when we left.

I would be very careful with "intermittent fasting". The human body is not meant to be routinely starved. It is good to vary nutrition levels, and exercise routines, to keep the body "guessing". But starving it outright is never a good thing. You need nutrition regularly.

But a large number of people do, they just don’t. I’m always floored at the people who drive their kids to the bus stop half a block away or to school half a mile away. It literally takes less time to walk. (no buckling in or having to find a parking space) Then you have the people circling the parking lot for the closest space or opting to wait for an elevator for a flight or two of stairs. I have a niece who doesn’t work because she refuses to take the bus. While there might not be public transport or walking distance in a lot of places there’s 100s of ways to get movement in your day and people just don’t.

So semi-related question...

How do you figure out calories in recipes you make? I am making a HUGE pot of soup and I am not following a recipe. Just dump this and that in a pot. I can figure the amount of calories in the entire pot but how do I figure out how many servings it yields to figure out calories per serving?

So semi-related question...

How do you figure out calories in recipes you make? I am making a HUGE pot of soup and I am not following a recipe. Just dump this and that in a pot. I can figure the amount of calories in the entire pot but how do I figure out how many servings it yields to figure out calories per serving?
I weigh the whole recipe (weigh your pot beforehand and subtract that) in grams and then put the serving as 1 gram (some people use a default 50 or 100 grams as a ‘serving’. ) Then I just log how many grams I eat. In MFP it will save the last serving you had as a default so if it was 256 grams that equals say 350 calories that’s usually what I have next time. If you alter recipe amounts next time you just adjust them in the saved recipe as you remake. Honestly I don’t bother going that far unless they’re really calorie heavy like cheese, butter or cream. Does that make sense?

I weigh the whole recipe (weigh your pot beforehand and subtract that) in grams and then put the serving as 1 gram (some people use a default 50 or 100 grams as a ‘serving’. )
Thank you!
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself. That makes so much sense. I will do just weigh the total and then how much one cup/ladle weighs and then use that as a serving.

I am trying to eat healthier and lose weight. But I refuse to call it a "diet." I am watching what I eat, keeping my calories to the recommended levels and exercising. With current health issues this can't be a temporary thing but must be a lifestyle, permanent thing.

Today, I won't over do it but I will be eating everything that I would normally on Thanksgiving.

I totally agree. Going on a diet implies that at some point you will also go 'off' a diet, and that usually ends up like a yo-yo weight loss/weight gain life style.
I try for moderation and there's nothing on my 'no' list, also on special days I do over do it, but back to my normal afterwards. I try for 1200 calories most days - loose guesstimation, no measuring or weighing food, just know most food calories by years of practice.
I don't prohibit myself any food as then i'll just crave it, just try to be smart about it. I love to cook & bake and that's what I have to watch.

But a large number of people do, they just don’t. I’m always floored at the people who drive their kids to the bus stop half a block away or to school half a mile away. It literally takes less time to walk. (no buckling in or having to find a parking space) Then you have the people circling the parking lot for the closest space or opting to wait for an elevator for a flight or two of stairs. I have a niece who doesn’t work because she refuses to take the bus. While there might not be public transport or walking distance in a lot of places there’s 100s of ways to get movement in your day and people just don’t.

Exactly. You said it better than me. We are so trained for our cars! I noticed the same thing about bus stops and DRIVING your kid to the bus stop. Seriously? In our district, it was set up so that no kid had to walk more than 1/4 of a mile to a bus stop. Make your kid walk! And, if you feel that "they" are too young to walk alone...you walk them to the bus stop. But driving back and forth is just silly.

Exactly. You said it better than me. We are so trained for our cars! I noticed the same thing about bus stops and DRIVING your kid to the bus stop. Seriously? In our district, it was set up so that no kid had to walk more than 1/4 of a mile to a bus stop. Make your kid walk! And, if you feel that "they" are too young to walk alone...you walk them to the bus stop. But driving back and forth is just silly.
When my kids were smaller I’d walk them to the bus stop and then walk several blocks to the next major road and then back again. They walk to school on their own now and even when there are school events we walk. I’ve only driven to their school a handful of times in going on three years and only because I was already on the road or they were sick.

About 20 years ago I changed my eating. I did not eat if I was not hungry and stopped when I was full. I lost about 60 pounds the first year or two. Over the next decade I slowly lost another 25-30 pounds. And really didn’t deny myself anything. Maintenance was not a problem.

but right now that is biting me in the rear. For The last six months I have been getting IVIg infusions for an autoimmune disease. It takes multiple hours and pretty much gives me chemo type side effects. I cannot eat without retching. I am starting to look like I have anorexia. But that’s another story. Never in a zillion years and in my wildest dreams think I would ever want to gain weight

I really wish you all the best success. I failed at dieting after decades of trying every diet ever invented. But I eventually found success.

The way I look at it, a diet, is not necessarily a weight losing regime, just what you eat on a regular basis to fuel your body which is your life's engine.
Some people take better care of their car than their body.
A bite here, a bite there, is sufficient for food you know isn't that good for you.
This philosophy works yearround for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter