Anyone experienced with Cinncinati (CVG) airport?

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
We'll be flying Delta and changing planes in Cinncinati for our late November/early December trip. It'll be my first experience on Delta and the first time we haven't gone non-stop in many years. (Couldn't beat the price - only $154 RT each MSP-MCO. NWA wanted well over $300 each for the non-stop).

We have about 50 minutes between flights in CVG if everything is on time. I'm really wondering if I have to worry about luggage. I'd prefer to check, but we pack light and can easily take it as carry on if necessary. So, how likely do you think our luggage is to "miss" the connection? I'd rather not have to wait around in Orlando wondering where it is! :teeth:

Also, is the CVG airport relatively easy to navigate? Anything special I need to know before we arrive?

TIA for any input/opinions!

We recently went from Orlando to Newark, changing planes in CVG. We had 55 minutes between connections and we had no problem with checking our luggage in MCO. We even had to take the shuttle from one terminal to another and still had plenty of time. We like checking our wheeled suitcases and just bring a backpack on the plane. We had never had any problems with lost luggage.

I can't help with baggage, but the airport is one of my favorites. It is very easy to get around in. We did have to change to another concourse once, but it went very smooth. If I have to have a layover, I will go out of the way to go thru CVG.

Carol,
I have used Delta from BDL to Cinn a few times and have never had a problem checking the luggage and having it right there in MCO when I got to the luggage pick up.

CarolMN,

You should be fine. EXPECT that you will have to take a shuttle bus between terminals, but it only takes a few minutes and they run *very* frequently. If you get lucky and don't have to change terminals, so much the better. And if your flight is late getting in, very likely the flight you're catching will be late leaving. At least that's been my experience.

BTW this airport is actually in Kentucky!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your replies and will quit worrying about luggage. Now I can just concentrate on worrying about bad weather! :teeth: :teeth:

I never changed terminals, just gates. All in the same location, thank goodness.

Thanks CaronMN for the question and all for the answers. We too could not beat the Delta price for our Feb/Mar trip and loved the departure times from MSP- MCO where we connected through Cinn. (still love nonstop but not the price)

What a nice little airport and very easily negotiated. We've gone through CVG several times and our luggage arrived when we did! I can't say the same thing about a nonstop from DTW to MCO with NW though. ;)

We've had less time (45 mins) to change planes at CVG and it was no problem. Shuttles seem to be at the commuter (outlying) terminal and it's a very quick ride around the concourse. We've also come into the main terminal and hoofed to the other end (with only 20 mins between arrival and connecting departure) for a flight before--it's very manageable.

For my money the connection in CVG is much more desirable than the alternatives, e.g., ATL. The flights have always been on time for us both arriving and departing.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. You have all set my mind at ease and I am actually looking forward to seeing CVG!

Tess - ATL was one of the alternatives I considered because I thought weather might be less of a problem for Atlanta than Cinncinati. However (based on some comments I read about ATL on the board and in the newspapers), I decided CVG would be the best for us! Glad to hear that flights have been on time for you.

Only 52 more days to go!

Thanks!

We will be arriving at CVG later this month, and only have a half hour between our next flight to Canton/Akron. Both on Delta. Think we'll be all right catching that second flight?

Here's something to keep in mind. In order to find out if you will have to switch concourses in CVG, check your flight #'s. If you have a 4-digit flight # starting with either 5 or 6, that is a Delta Comair flight and it will arrive at Concourse C. All other Delta flights within the continental US arrive at Concourse B. So if you have a flight into Cincinnati that is a Comair flight (flight #'s beginning with 5 or 6) and a connection to a regular Delta flight, you will have to switch concourses. If they are both regular Delta flights, you'll be able to stay in Concourse B and simply go from gate to gate.
Either way, as others have stated, switching concourses at CVG is not difficult. The airport is set up nicely for connecting flights.

Hi, Carol! Just chiming in with another good word about CVG. I often fly Delta, and have frequently changed planes at CVG. My shortest layover that I can remember was 40 minutes. I made it to my gate with time to spare, and my luggage was on the plane too with no problem.

Firedog, 30 min. is pretty short. You should be fine making it to your gate, provided your first flight is on time. Getting the luggage switched over in only 30 min. is trickier. But my money's on CVG and their baggage handlers. They've never let me down so far, even during peak travel times which is usually when I travel. You'll be there at more of an off time, so hopefully you'll be fine. Good luck, and have a great trip! :D

We usually connect at Cincinnati, and, as others have said, it's a very nice airport.

It has a STARBUCKS!!!!!!! That's a real treat for me coming from a Starbuck's deprived area. I think it also has a Cinnabon's.

It's pretty pathetic that I look forward to changing planes only because I can get a Caramel Frappucino.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter