Anyone participating in the "Give a Day, Get a Day" ?

All 4 of us volunteered over last weekend. We made Jared Boxes for our local hospital. A Jared Box is a small box of toys, crayons, coloring books, etc. to keep kids occupied when they are in the Emergency Room. We assembled them at our house and then dropped them off at the local hospital. My kids loved making them (especially because 2 1/2 years ago we were in an accident and they were given Jared Boxes in the emergency room). It was a very nice experience and I will absolutely keep making them even without the GAD opportunity.

Just got our voucher email yesterday. So excited.

How can you get the money to go toward the tickets. We have paid for them, we just have not gotten them yet.

I should have been more clear - if you haven't actually bought your tickets yet, you can do this. If you've already purchased your tickets, you will not be able to a refund on them for the GAD tix. IF it's possible for you to cancel your ticket order and wait to purchase your tickets until you arrive at WDW, you can use upgrade the free GAD ticket to the # of days/options you need and be credited the amount of a 1 day, 1 park ticket.

More info on all the details of how this works is in the TICKET STICKY.

We helped with a Dog Rescue/Meet and Greet Adoption. Overall, a good experience - but felt it was chaotic and perhaps too many volunteers for the amount for dogs that were there. But the kids loved it and we're happy to have found something for the whole family.

We turned our blankets in on Saturday. We were told that the blankets go to children/teens in hospitals. We had sooo much fun picking out the material and making them. I would like to do this a couple times a year if possible.

The kids and I volunteered today!
The opportunity was run by Boston Cares and was called: MLK, A Day ON, Not a Day Off.
It was family friendly and there were lots of stations the kids could go to. We made "Adopt Me" bandanas for dogs and cat beds for cats for the MSPCA. We put together dental kits for homeless shelters, made placemats for seniors, bookmarks for the Boston Public Library, indoor recess books for the Boston Public Schools and valentines for soldiers overseas. There were other stations as well that we didn't get to. It was very well run and we had a blast!
I hope those that want to volunteer, find something they can do. :goodvibes

We just got confirmed to work at a local food bank on the evening of Feb. 10. I also found not too many opportunities available for kids under 15 and I wanted something we could ALL do (DS is 12). As an added bonus, this particular food bank is a participant in our county for SSL hours so DS can pick up a couple of those for this project too. We will probably send him back there again a few times in the future too for more hours.

The GAD list for our area had some things like cleaning up a barn yard at some pony farm (it's winter and muddy out there so I wasn't interested in that mess) and gardening at a mens shelter (again, it's winter now so not much gardeing to be done now). There was also one for cleaning pet cages at a national chain pet store. It was sponsored by some animal rescue place but it kinda sounded to us like PetSmart was trying to avoid paying for real help in todays economy.:confused3 I thought that one was pretty odd and was glad we were able to get a slot with the food bank. The Habitat for Humanity ones were all for 15 & 16+ yo.

We have AP's and plan to use our vouchers for the Fast Pass cards on our trip at the end of March.

What have we gotten ourselves into? We're volunteering to work one of many aid stations during our local Habitat for Humanity's marathon next Saturday (Jan. 23rd). However, things are not as they were proposed. We were told, via email when we signed up, that it would be a 3-4 hour commitment, handing water to runners, offering Bandaids, registering runners, passing out t-shirts, etc. At the mandatory meeting we attended Saturday, we were told it's an 8-10 hour commitment. The runners will race around our local reservoir, plus a few miles have been added to make up for the shortage in the lake's perimeter. Because the course is out in the hills, once you are bused to your aid station at 6 a.m., you have to stay there until the bus comes to pick you up after 3 p.m. They have promised Port-o-lets, but no shelter (EZ Ups) unless you bring one yourself (it will be storming and muddy up there after the week's worth of rain we're going to be pounded with). The organizers told us at the mandatory meeting that the marathon will go on, "rain or shine," and that they expect many people to drop off the volunteer list because of the heavy rains, "but we're counting on you." Also, they asked us to pick up the trash the runners drop -- NOT A PROBLEM until they mentioned not to wander too far off because there are mountain lions and other wildlife up there (...and no radios to call for help, and no phone number of someone in charge if and when I need someone to scare the mountain lion away?!?). "Pack your lunches and your medications, if you need any, because you're going to be there all day." It keeps echoing through my head, and it doesn't make this a "fun" thing to do anymore.

Let me add that the meeting was an organizational nightmare! They knew how many people to expect, due to the emails, and they should have known to plan on others showing up. That being said, they ran out of the liability waivers for people to sign. The organizers kept talking over one another, and the sequence of items to talk about left many people confused (one lady talked about how to mix the Gatorade and how to hold the cups out for runners to grab before we even heard what time to meet and where).

In order to volunteer, we need to purchase rain gear. We live in Southern California, and according to the song, "it never rains in Southern California." We have tiny umbrellas, but not so much as a waterproof jacket, let alone rain boots. In the end, it would be cheaper to buy 2 Disney park passes! Yes, I know the principle behind the whole promotion is to give of yourself to help others, but this seems beyond the ideals of the Give a Day promo.

Sooo...what would YOU do? Would you follow through with what you said you'd do, or would you try to find another opportunity? To the OP, sorry to have hijacked your post, but this seemed like a good place to ask for help. Thanks for your insights!

Well, suzieQzee, it DOES rain at WDW. Everyday, and buckets and torrents of rain. So purchase some ponchos, small and light, to use for this, and then pack for your trip. You don't usually wear rainboots at WDW though. Many go with sandals. I need more foot support than that, so I pack extra shoes and socks. The wild animal threat would certainly deter me, but I wonder if that is a bit of an exaggeration. An airhorn may be useful to scare any animals and signal need of help.

It really seems unlikely the organizers would hold a marathon in a dangerous area, with a possible real threat of mountain lions, etc. Despite all the releases participants must sign, I don't believe they would open themselves up to that obvious liability posiion. And who would sign up to run in it?!!!
It sure wouldn't be a successful fundraiser.

I just finished making 3 blankets for Project Linus. Our local chapter had a list of places they donate the blankets to. It included things like children's hospitals, battered womens' shelters, foster care homes, etc. All blankets go to children from infants to teens. I don't sew, so we made no-sew tie, fleece blankets. It was so much fun!

I would highly recommend this project.

We are also signed up for Project Linus Blanket Drop-off. I think it's great because you get to take as much time and put as much thought, effort and care into these blankets as you want. Ours don't have to be dropped off until 3/6 so we are trying to find the perfect fabrics/colors/borders! Can't wait to hand ours in! We are going to work on ours every weekend until the deadline!

Our trip is 3/20-3-27 so we may not get our free tickets in time. If this happens we will probably just donate our tickets because we won't be going back until next spring. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can get them in time though! It would really help =)

We dropped off our blankets today at Ronald McDonald House in Morgantown, WV. We had so much fun choosing the fabric and completing the blankets. We made two twin sized blankets: one camo and one basketball themed. I would have never known about this project without Disney GAD. So glad we had an opportunity to participate. We plan to complete more blankets with our family on vacation this summer. Each night a family is in charge of dinner and a fun activity. Can't wait to share the joy! :goodvibes

Well, suzieQzee, it DOES rain at WDW. Everyday, and buckets and torrents of rain.

WDW *is* paved, right? And you *do* see more people than once every 2.5 miles (or so I'm told)? You can also duck inside some shelter to get out of the downpours, correct?

The wild animal threat would certainly deter me, but I wonder if that is a bit of an exaggeration.

Sorry to disappoint you, wishicouldgomoreoften, but I'm not one to waste time exaggerating on the Internet. Your cynicism is noted, and to that end, here's the website for the marathon in question. The photograph on the main page shows the reservoir that acts as the race's course, on a sunny day. Currently, we're under flash flood watch and threat of mudslides to last the entire week.

http://diamondvalleylakemarathon.com/

Here is a map of the course:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ca/hemet/726144181

There are 6 paved miles, and more than 15 unpaved miles of raceway. The additional miles are also unpaved, although not in the foothills. To answer your final bit of skepticism, last year, Habitat for Humanity raised $40K with this fundraiser alone, and it's been an annual event for 9 years. These are all facts that we were told at the mandatory meeting Saturday. None of this information was put forth on the GAD weblink.

Putting all your doubts aside, the issue at hand is that this is not what they said this event would be on the GAD link. There's a big difference between 3-4 hours and 8-10 hours of volunteerism. There is also some discrepancy between having been told that one would be stationed at a registration booth, handing out t-shirts, as opposed to being essentially stranded out on the course for the duration of the event.

As of right now, we're in "wait and see" mode. I'm struggling with this because I'm not one to commit, then back out. I'm a teacher, and I spend most of my days teaching responsibility and accountability. However, there's an air of deception that runs thick with this event, and that's what has me feeling regretful.

Thanks for your concerns.

I wouldn't feel too bad in this situation susieQzee. I think some very important information was withheld initially.

wishicouldgomoreoften - rain... buckets and torrents of rain..... every day!?!
Way to go scaring any first timers. :rotfl:

I signed up to help with a Girl Scout event this Saturday - 8am - 5:30 pm at the local college. It will introduce girls to non traditional fields for careers - science, math, technology & engineering. I will be doing multi-task - giving directions, registration, etc. Where ever I can help. It should be an interesting day.

I assisted at a MLK Service Day. I actually got to hear a gentleman say the "I have a dream" speech in its entirety. I actually ended helping volunteers who did not know how to get the free tickets and those who were interested in volunteering at other events.

Odd that I ended up looking at the Disney website all day but I had a good time.

How do you get your organization signed up to qualify? My daughter already does volunteer work thru her after school care. The do things like beach clean-up, visit the nursing homes, visit the wounded warriors hospital (we live on a military base) and collect items for the needy. Today she is off from school and the kids are going to a daycare to read to the kids. I bet her counselors would love to get this organization signed up. I bet they could get more kids and parents involved it they could get a free day at WDW.

We are also signed up for Project Linus Blanket Drop-off. I think it's great because you get to take as much time and put as much thought, effort and care into these blankets as you want. Ours don't have to be dropped off until 3/6 so we are trying to find the perfect fabrics/colors/borders! Can't wait to hand ours in! We are going to work on ours every weekend until the deadline!

Our trip is 3/20-3-27 so we may not get our free tickets in time. If this happens we will probably just donate our tickets because we won't be going back until next spring. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can get them in time though! It would really help =)

The only options available right now in my area is Habitat for Humanity. My daughter and I would love to do this in the summer, but in the winter??? I wonder if we could participate in something like Project Linus....not showing up within my zip code range....

We volunteered this weekend. The guys moved 200 cribs and other furniture and the girls sorted clothes and house hold items to set up and make the area look like a department store. We also helped persons in need pick out clothing and such for their families.

I think Disney did a great job with this program as my family was not aware this center existed. We did a lot of work in which they really needed our help. I got to set up items to make them look nice and was a personal shopper to those in need. This is something I loved having the opportunity to do and feel like I made a difference in my community. We donated a reclining chair and next weekend we are going back to make more donations. Even my autistic child was welcomed and she did simple folding. Also by doing this job I am now aware of the types of donations needed and will donate accordingly.

This was a win win situation. Disney is the best.

The only options available right now in my area is Habitat for Humanity. My daughter and I would love to do this in the summer, but in the winter??? I wonder if we could participate in something like Project Linus....not showing up within my zip code range....

I don't see why you can't do it for another zip code. Just mail the blankets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter