Anyone travel by plane with a guitar?

JesNJakesMom

Mouseketeer
We are flying for the first time to WDW and DH would like to bring his guitar. Any tips on how to do this without distroying it?

Shelly

Well, I don't travel with a guitar, but I live in Nashville so I see them all the time.

You can carry on your guitar as your one carryon. I assume he has some type of case for it. Board as soon as you can so it can get an overhead space because unless you have one of the REALLY study metal cases you don't want to put in under the plane.

Thanks! He didn't think he could do "carry on" with it.

He does have a hard shell but has heard many stories of broken guitars, even in a case, when put with the luggage. I'll have to make sure I ask when I buy tickets if they allow it to be carried on.

BTW, We LOVE Nashville!!! Spent out honeymoon there and go every chance we get. (Usually when we DRIVE to WDW)! If I could move somewhere out of Michigan it would be TN for me!

It is done all the time. Just phone the airline and check their regulations. I would not trust my guitar with the regular check under the plane.

You need a very good case for the guitar.

Hi JesNJakesMom-

I love the guitar(unfortunately cannot play) and was interested to know where your husband can play. People get so upset by noise at WDW (albeit pleasant in this case). Is there a quiet spot that you are thinking of? If so, let us know when you are going so we can all enjoy!

Have fun on your trip? Threehearts

I would check with your airline, some airlines have rules about what can be carried on and size restrictions. I have the impression that it has to fit in that little box thingie.

It depends on the airline. I saw a woman with a violin trying to get on the plane. JetBlue wouldn't allow her to bring it on the plane because the case it was in didn't fit into the box they had at the gate before you board. They were checking the size of carry-ons at the gate before you board the plane. If it didn't fit into the box, you couldn't get on to the plane with it. The woman was in tears. I felt so bad for her. She said she never had a problem before. So it's best to check with your airline.

If the item won't fit ito the sizer box, they can make you check it, and usually will. The other option it to purchase a seat for it. On a lot of planes there's no way it's going to fit in the overhead to begin with. I doubt it would fit into the overhead on an MD-80 or 737. Possibly on a 757 or most of the Airbus equipment. Never on any of the smaller commuter jets or turboprops.

Personally I feel it's not fair to your fellow passengers to take up an entire overhead for a guitar. In our family the rule of thumb is that if we occupy all the seats in a row we are entitled to one half or less of the overhead above that row. Anything else either has to go under the seats, or be checked.

Anne

Thank you all for your tips. DH would rather not bring it at all than to chance it under the plane! I mean we are packing for a 2 week vacation and he's told us that we can only bring "carry on luggage". He doesn't want to wait for it or have it get lost or whatever?! Can you tell he's NEVER flown before? He is 41 years old and NEVER been on a plane before! I have a feeling we'll be making the trek from Michigan to FLA with 2 kids by car, again this year!

BTW, Threehearts, my DH plays (practices) an electric guitar without an amp while we are at the hotel for a week. Then we usually go to his sisters house for a week where he, his BIL and nephew really "crank it out" all week!

I mean we are packing for a 2 week vacation and he's told us that we can only bring "carry on luggage".

Good luck on that one. They limit carryons, perhaps you should have him read your air carriers web page for restrictions. :)

JesNJakes Mom- I think that your family will have a great time and your husband will just love his first plane trip. You might remind him how expensive it is to BUY the clothing that you left behind by trying for jusy carryons. That usually is very convincing. If for some reason your DH insists on the carryons, then you can always do laundry if the hotel has it available. Think positively! I do think the guitar situation is doubtful, especially with the current size restrictions. At any rate, have a super trip and think of the excitement and magic that awaits!!
Susan

Originally posted by JesNJakesMom
Thank you all for your tips. DH would rather not bring it at all than to chance it under the plane! I mean we are packing for a 2 week vacation and he's told us that we can only bring "carry on luggage". He doesn't want to wait for it or have it get lost or whatever?! Can you tell he's NEVER flown before? He is 41 years old and NEVER been on a plane before! I have a feeling we'll be making the trek from Michigan to FLA with 2 kids by car, again this year!

Does he realize you are limited to a small carry on plus one personal item (and they mean SMALL personal item) per person?

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter